daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2008, 07:19 AM   #41
ciracentered

Likes (Received): 0

up
ciracentered no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #42
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Ciracentered, are the pictures you posted mostly by Philadweller? If so, this thread should probably be moved over to Urban Showcase for original photography!
I'm going to assume that the bulk of the photos here are by Philadweller, and am
going to move it over to the Urban Showcase for original photography to show them off!
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #43
-KwK345-
My user title is the bomb

Likes (Received): 2

Wow, those pictures are amazing!
-KwK345- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #44
Patachou

Likes (Received): 16

Beautiful photos, really stunning.
Patachou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:53 AM   #45
ciracentered

Likes (Received): 0

up!
ciracentered no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 12:48 PM   #46
Snowy

Likes (Received): 9

Old-school Americana. Love it.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but it seems that there is a slightly run-down feel about the city, but I like it, kind of how I imagine New York felt like in the 70s and 80s, a slightly melancholic feel about it, that the city has seen better days............but give me this over the overly glitzy LA any day. As other people have said, it feels like Philly still has it's soul and sense of self and it hasn't been overly gentrified and lost most of it's character.............yet anyway. Obviously, never having been there, I could be completely wrong, but that's the impresion I get from these pictures.

I'm not a huge fan of M. Night Shyamalan's movies (which I believe are all set in Philadelphia), but looking at these pictures, it feels like he really understands ths city's unique character, because the Philly in his films has the same sort of feel that is shown in the pictures shown here.

I want to go there now.
Snowy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:03 AM   #47
WolfHound
College Student

Likes (Received): 4

Shyamalan's movies suck. In fact he shot some scenes of the happening right down the street from my house. Anyways Philly is a great city but its also dangerous in some areas but thats true for most American cities. My favorite area is def olde city. But the comcast center is done already? I thought it wasn't quite finished I thought they were still finishing the inside but the outside is complete.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:29 AM   #48
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1606

Great pix!
Old July 7th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #49
philadweller

"Shyamalan's movies suck. In fact he shot some scenes of the happening right down the street from my house. Anyways Philly is a great city but its also dangerous in some areas but thats true for most American cities. My favorite area is def olde city. But the comcast center is done already? I thought it wasn't quite finished I thought they were still finishing the inside but the outside is complete."

Why do people call it Olde City? It is Old City. Philly is much safer than people imagine it to be. Parts of Philly look scarier than they are. For instance, the Italian market, Fishtown and Kensington.
When I moved there in 1996 I was nervous crossing 13th street. 13th Street was the "red light" district. Although the same edgy and shifty degenerates still wander through, it is not dangerous at all. I got used to the vibe and kind of crave it sometimes.

Last edited by philadweller; July 7th, 2008 at 04:39 PM.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #50
Somnifor
Paradise Island

Likes (Received): 3312

All the photo threads of Philly make me want to go there.

Random fact: Philadelphia was once the third largest city in the British empire.
Somnifor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #51
SimsPlanet2

Likes (Received): 279

I really like the pictures It looks like the UK.
SimsPlanet2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #52
philadweller

Although the city was founded by the Swedes, there are a lot of Ehglish characteristcics to the architecture.

"Random fact: Philadelphia was once the third largest city in the British empire."

And what was the second?

Here is a typical row in Dublin.

Here is a typical workingman's row in Philadelphia. My house was the one with the green shutters to the right of the HRC flag.

Last edited by philadweller; July 8th, 2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old July 8th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #53
Taller, Better
Administrator

cool place to live, Philly. When were the rowhouses built?
Was any of the original interior intact, or had it been "modernised"?
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #54
philadweller

Taller Better,

I apologize for not crediting the Dublin photo. Got it from google.
The one below from Juniper Street is my photo.

My former house on Juniper Street was built in 1835 as a single family house. During the 1940s it was converted into a triplex. Most of the original details were intact such as fireplace mantels, windows and hardwood floors as well as the stairs, finials and bannisters. Built in bookcases were original too. All of the radiators had been removed for electric baseboard heat (ewww).

Here are some shots of my unit on the first floor.

inside hallway

the outside in winter

outside in spring, original windows and shutters that work.
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:28 PM   #55
Taller, Better
Administrator

cool, I love old rowhouses!! Is that you in the hallway?
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #56
Somnifor
Paradise Island

Likes (Received): 3312

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post

"Random fact: Philadelphia was once the third largest city in the British empire."

And what was the second?
I'm not sure, I got that from Richard Hofstadter's "America at 1750, a social portrait" (a fascinating book). I don't remember if he says what city is second, off the top of my head I would guess Portsmouth. London was #1 by a gigantic margin though. This would be right before the revolution when Philadelphia really started to take off.

Edit: according to wikipedia it was the second largest city in the British empire.

Last edited by Somnifor; July 8th, 2008 at 08:03 PM.
Somnifor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #57
philadweller

Taller Better no thats not me. This is me though on the right....during the Mummer's Parade.

Do a google earth of 320 south juniper and you will see my old home smack next to skyscrapers. Keep in mind the Juniper street is a mews like Camac in the gayborhood. These are side streets with smaller workingman's homes and trinity's usually running north and south. The mansion rowhomes are on the wider east and west streets like Spruce and Pine.

Last edited by philadweller; July 8th, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:56 PM   #58
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Great set of photos...

Philly is actually a city we're thinking of looking into for a possible future relocation.

Can anyone tell me what life is like in Philly? I'd like to know how the traffic is, the crime, etc. Are the locals friendly, or is this a tough place to live and work? How about leisure, i.e. parks, museums, restaurants? What is the mass transit system there like? Is it a city where you could get away with either not having a car, or just having a car to "get away" at weekends?

I don't mind the fact that the city looks kind of gritty (in a good way). It also has the advantage of being so close to New York (even by train).

If someone could give me an idea as to what life is like in this great city, I'd really appreciate it. Once again, great photos!
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #59
philadweller

"Can anyone tell me what life is like in Philly? I'd like to know how the traffic is, the crime, etc. Are the locals friendly, or is this a tough place to live and work? How about leisure, i.e. parks, museums, restaurants? What is the mass transit system there like? Is it a city where you could get away with either not having a car, or just having a car to "get away" at weekends?" There is the subway and surface rail. It is easier to walk and SEPTA prices are high.
Mass transit is very utilized and very plentiful.

Life is great in Philly. Picture Boston in the early nineties, NYC in the late 80's and San Francisco in the 1960's. Picture Florence during the renaissance well that's Philly for you. Now is the time for Philadelphia. You do not need a car whatsoever unless you choose to work in some isolated office park out in bum****.

The city can be gritty but also is very manicured especially around Center City in Society Hill, Fitler Square and Rittenhouse Square. Center City is safe day and night. Most of the crime happens in the lost outer fringes of the city or in North Philadelphia and Camden, NJ. Traffic is tough because the streets are so narrow and the SEPTA buses are way too big for the thoroughfares.

Imagine a mini Manhattan that is attached by land to Brooklyn. Center City gradually steps down to neighborhoods of rowhomes where on summer nights people sit on their steps and drink wine and beer.

There is a neighborhood for everyone in Philadelphia. The locals are friendly and a little on the curious side. Many people that live in Philadelphia are from there so making friends can be tough. People have their friends and are well established unlike South Florida where everyone is from somewhere else.

The parks are unbelievable some are actually woods with bears and deer and the occasional bobcat. The restaurants are among the best in NA. The museums are world class.

Winters are mild and prices are reasonable. Access to the sea, DC, NYC, Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore is a breeze by rail or by car. There are lots of direct flights to Europe as well.

I would say go for it. You will not regret it. I cannot wait to move back.

Last edited by philadweller; July 9th, 2008 at 01:16 AM.
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #60
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
"Can anyone tell me what life is like in Philly? I'd like to know how the traffic is, the crime, etc. Are the locals friendly, or is this a tough place to live and work? How about leisure, i.e. parks, museums, restaurants? What is the mass transit system there like? Is it a city where you could get away with either not having a car, or just having a car to "get away" at weekends?" There is the subway and surface rail. It is easier to walk and SEPTA prices are high.
Mass transit is very utilized and very plentiful.

Life is great in Philly. Picture Boston in the early nineties, NYC in the late 80's and San Francisco in the 1960's. Picture Florence during the renaissance well that's Philly for you. Now is the time for Philadelphia. You do not need a car whatsoever unless you choose to work in some isolated office park out in bum****.

The city can be gritty but also is very manicured especially around Center City in Society Hill, Fitler Square and Rittenhouse Square. Center City is safe day and night. Most of the crime happens in the lost outer fringes of the city or in North Philadelphia and Camden, NJ. Traffic is tough because the streets are so narrow and the SEPTA buses are way too big for the thoroughfares.

Imagine a mini Manhattan that is attached by land to Brooklyn. Center City gradually steps down to neighborhoods of rowhomes where on summer nights people sit on their steps and drink wine and beer.

There is a neighborhood for everyone in Philadelphia. The locals are friendly and a little on the curious side. Many people that live in Philadelphia are from there so making friends can be tough. People have their friends and are well established unlike South Florida where everyone is from somewhere else.

The parks are unbelievable some are actually woods with bears and deer and the occasional bobcat. The restaurants are among the best in NA. The museums are world class.

Winters are mild and prices are reasonable. Access to the sea, DC, NYC, Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore is a breeze by rail or by car. There are lots of direct flights to Europe as well.

I would say go for it. You will not regret it. I cannot wait to move back.
Awesome!

I honestly think that my partner would love it there, even though she's born & raised in Miami. The city does look like a slice of Boston + New York (from the photos). That's what we want really....and old, established city with plenty of things to do. I like it here in Miami, but my partner doesn't. Besides, this isn't a place we want to buy a house and raise children (too expensive).

We were actually looking at houses there on www.realtor.com and it seems like you can still get a LOT in Philly for under $300k (unlike Miami!).

I would also like the fact that you don't HAVE to drive and the proximity to New York is a HUGE plus for us.

We're probably going to visit for a few days in the fall. Would a long weekend be enough to see the city, or would you suggest maybe 4-5 days? My partner has never been there, but she's already hooked on the place.

Oh...my partner is Hispanic (dark skinned)....this may sound like a silly question, but do you think we'd have difficulty, in that sense? Obviously, we don't have any issues here in Miami because this is an extremely diverse city.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote