daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 24th, 2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 146

City Pride | Canary Wharf | 233m | 75 fl | Approved

---

New tower to call time on the City Pride pub?

By John Hill on April 24, 2008 9:00 AM

IT could soon be last orders for the City Pride pub.

The Westferry Road haunt looks set to make way for a flagship tower, with a hotel, apartments and retail space.

Developer Glenkerrin has plans for a large building on the site after snapping up the prime development land for a reported £32million. But it remains tight-lipped on when it hopes to call time on the watering hole.

It has been suggested that Glenkerrin is considering a building rising as high as 55-storeys, with a five-storey hotel and 400 apartments.

The Irish company has already appointed world-renowned architect Foster and Partners to look into options for the site, which is just one of a cluster of proposed high-rise buildings on the western end of the Island.

rest of story: Link

Last edited by wjfox; November 1st, 2008 at 02:02 PM.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 24th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Tony Resta
T-Stays

Likes (Received): 25

Wow, it'll look really high with all those floors, just look at the soar effect PP gives us

Tony Resta | Official Website
Tony Resta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #3
Newcastle Guy

Yeah. I bet the people in the shorter Landmark tower with North facing views won't be very happy, but that's what you get when you buy an apartment so near to a CBD.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is the highest floor count for a resi building in the Wharf so far? Excluding the 200m tall Wood Wharf one.
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #4
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Im sorry, but this mix is what could make Canary Wharf the envy of the world. Its just a shame these landlords cant afford to reject the money offered to them

I just hope some traditional parts stay as the district expands.
Flogging Molly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #5
Chogmook
Mancunian Member

Likes (Received): 42

Build the tower over it like in Batteries not included!
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Newcastle Guy

Really? From what I have heard here the City Pride Pub isn't really worth keeping. I really don't think keeping it will make Canary Wharf the envy of the world. A well design and soaring residential skyscraper from Foster that adds to what is on track to being one of the most dense skyscraper disctricts in Europe is much more appealing. If it was a proper old pub that had stood for a long time and had some actual historical value or was really important to the local community then keep it. From what I've heard here though, it isn't.
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #7
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 47

Keep the pub. Build next door.
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #8
Bob

Likes (Received): 10

There is nothing at all remarkable about that pub. Why would anyone want to keep it? I don't get it. I'm looking forward to seeing this proposal, a Foster residential can be good. Their worst crimes are kept to the generic mid-rise city office blob.
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #9
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 1

In terms of architectural merit the pub isn't worth saving, but I don't see why they can't incorporate a modern pub into the bottom of this proposed skyscraper. More importantly let's hope that this new building isn't another bland glass box.
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #10
fitz44

Likes (Received): 12

Fosters eh? I could just see a nice 55-storey Leaf style tower here. Ealing's loss.... Here's hoping anyway, Probably be another Wharf style rectangle.
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #11
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 237

The pub is a typical ultra common design....I guess there may be some local history, but hey! The whole area was once a thriving dock. Progress has led to a thriving financial city...a much more successful outcome than many of the worlds 'I used to be something' areas. Not many die as butterflies and emerge as bigger butterflies!

Is it pure coincidence that a mans Scrotum resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #12
Newcastle Guy

This could be pretty tall. I took the other resi projects from the docklands, worked out their floor heights, and multiplied them by 55:

40 Marshwall: 167.75
Pan Peninsula: 168.88
Landmark East: 174.43
Quebec Tower: 170.55
Landmark West: 179.94
Baltimore Wharf: 183.2
Trafalgar Way: 191.71

Something 160m-170m here would be perfect. It is a big enough difference to the Landmark and other towers to not leave a flat-topped wall effect.
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #13
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 2235

fitz, if it were up to me id build a leaf tower straddling the dock. how cool would that be?
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #14
Newcastle Guy

It would be amazing, IMO. If that design were refined a bit and added to the Docklands it would be fantastic. Can't see it happening, but hopefully Fosters can pull another great tower out of their hats for this prime site.

Actually, isn't it the same developer? so we may get something similar, if they can't build the design in Ealing they may choose to build it here instead, but taller Still not likely, but would be cool.
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #15
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 2235

yes it would never happen, it would be hugely complex to build a tower like the leaf straddling the dock. personally id have an arch at one of the dock and the leaf at the other but thats just me and lets face it, im mad...
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #16
fitz44

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
fitz, if it were up to me id build a leaf tower straddling the dock. how cool would that be?
Fantastic, imagine boats going under it!
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #17
Smarty

Likes (Received): 326

The pub is awful. No architectural merit and the food's not great. I've been there a couple of times and wondered why I was there each time. There are plenty of other pubs in the area which are better / more important to the local community. This is one pub over whose demise there's absolutely no reason to be sad .

It's the perfect location for a highrise.
Smarty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #18
london lad

Likes (Received): 426

Bit of background info
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Glenkerrin Group acquires site in London for €43m
Sunday, February 17, 2008 - By Neil Callanan
Glenkerrin Group, the development company owned by Ray and Danny Grehan, has acquired a 0.638 acre site in Canary Wharf in London for stg£32 million (€43 million).

The company is expected to build a tower of more than 50 storeys on the site which would include a hotel, some shops and apartments. The site is close to Ballymore’s Pan Peninsula development but one source said it was better located than that scheme.

The site currently houses the City Pride pub and is within walking distance of Westferry Circus. Most of the site’s frontage is to Marsh Wall, close to the Hilton hotel owned by John Magnier, JP McManus and Aidan Brooks. Catherine O’Connor of Savills HOK acted for Glenkerrin.

The Grehans beat off competition from a number of British developers to secure the Canary Wharf site and Norman Foster has been hired to design an iconic building for the scheme.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #19
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
The pub is awful. No architectural merit and the food's not great. I've been there a couple of times and wondered why I was there each time. There are plenty of other pubs in the area which are better / more important to the local community. This is one pub over whose demise there's absolutely no reason to be sad .

It's the perfect location for a highrise.
Exactly. Retaining a mediocre pub will make Canary Wharf the envy of no one. A soaring, iconic Foster tower on the other hand...
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #20
Astounded

Likes (Received): 0

It wouldn't cost that much just to move the whole pub lock, stock and beer barrel. Find it a nice spot nearby. This is called lateral thinking.

Another Foster skyscraper F.A.B.

The doom and gloom "we're in a economic recession" crowd have gone rather quiet lately.

Last edited by Astounded; April 24th, 2008 at 11:07 PM.
Astounded no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: