daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #21
ismail

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
It would be amazing, IMO. If that design were refined a bit and added to the Docklands it would be fantastic. Can't see it happening, but hopefully Fosters can pull another great tower out of their hats for this prime site.

Actually, isn't it the same developer? so we may get something similar, if they can't build the design in Ealing they may choose to build it here instead, but taller Still not likely, but would be cool.
Yes it is the same developer, and this has a much greater chance of being built, as it is unlikly to be opposed.

Sponsored Links

Old April 25th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #22
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 284

sod the pub.
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #23
delores

Likes (Received): 184

yes sod the pub...and yes the leaf would look great in the wharf, Unfortunately i think it will be somewhat restrained compared to the leaf but i could be wrong.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #24
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 9

There is absolutely nothing special about that pub at all, i can see no architecural reason for keeping it. It's not very attractive, and it doesn't look that old (compared to some other buildings that are to be demolished).

Something like the Light Bar, i can understand why people want to save that. And in general, i like to see older buildings retained to give some character, and link to the past.....but this building???
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #25
Xander

Likes (Received): 2

Yeah seriously. I used to live on the Isle of Dogs and can most definatly say that the City Pride is a pointless pub. I can think of dozens of other pubs just on the Isle of Dogs that are better, more historically worthwhile and more traditional looking. Let alone the general East London area, or south into Greenwich.

A 55fl building is 55 times better than this shite pub. Easily.

ニョキニョキと広くて青い空に延ばしている摩天楼...........

My threads:
Taiwan: 1 2 3; Malaysia; Singapore; Indonesia- 1 2 3; Toronto: 1 2
Xander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #26
TomD'07
Surveying a town near you

Whoever owned that pub is laughing all the way to the bank. Even if it had been in the family for years you'd think £32m..screw this, carribean here i come!
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #27
potto

Likes (Received): 2025

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismail View Post
Yes it is the same developer, and this has a much greater chance of being built, as it is unlikly to be opposed.
Bizarre isnt it. As the change in vertical scale will be just the same as with Ealing. Nimbys eh
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #28
Octoman
Just Relax

Likes (Received): 2930

The pub may not be so special but at least it is different by not being box shaped and made of glass. Unless the proposal replaces this variety we are losing with something a bit different itself I would say keep the pub. Another glass box is certainly not what the Wharf needs.

Fingers crossed.
Octoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #29
herington&herington

Likes (Received): 0

Given the unrelenting expansion of the Canary Wharf estate it is difficult to see the City Pride halting any potential development, despite it being a decent pub.

Far more architecturally important buildings have long since been demolished across both Docklands and the city to make way for corporate headquarters and high-rise buildings and I’m sure that Tower Hamlets will have no issue with allowing the demolition of the City Pride.
herington&herington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #30
Bob

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoman View Post
The pub may not be so special but at least it is different by not being box shaped and made of glass. Unless the proposal replaces this variety we are losing with something a bit different itself I would say keep the pub. Another glass box is certainly not what the Wharf needs.

Fingers crossed.
It's a lot of homes, smack bang next to the workplace. This is exactly what London needs.
It's a few hundred more people able to stroll to work rather than commute for an hour.
It's a high quality home with a great view.
It's massive amounts of housing on a brownfield site.
It's a scheme to help make CW a mixed use development rather than a zone of offices.
It's construction jobs.
It's more consumers for all the local service companies.
That's why the pub should go. These are the arguments which outweigh preservation.

Last edited by Bob; April 25th, 2008 at 07:10 PM.
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #31
delores

Likes (Received): 184

have to agree the pub's pretty unremarkable and should go.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #32
Octoman
Just Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
It's a lot of homes, smack bang next to the workplace. This is exactly what London needs.
It's a few hundred more people able to stroll to work rather than commute for an hour.
It's a high quality home with a great view.
It's massive amounts of housing on a brownfield site.
It's a scheme to help make CW a mixed use development rather than a zone of offices.
It's construction jobs.
It's more consumers for all the local service companies.
That's why the pub should go. These are the arguments which outweigh preservation.

Using that argument could justify the demolition of any building and its replacement with sub standard high density residentials. What I am saying is that I hope that the proposal adds something of interest to the area because it is taking something of interest away. I agree that its not St Pauls that we are thinking of pulling down but all the same, endless rows of glass boxes accross the Isle of Dogs is hardly going to lead to the urban utopia that we are seeking on this site.

Its a reflection of the poor quality of architecture at the moment and the limited vision - both in terms of the palette of materials and the style of building - that we are even considering whether this building should be kept. clearly it is not anything particularly special so it is a digrace that some people feel the architectural community cant be entrusted to come up with its replacement.
Old April 27th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #33
jimbo

Likes (Received): 5

can quite happily confirm that the pub is not worth 30 secs debate on its retention. The only bitter on tap as Tetleys, and even as a Yorkshireman I find that pretty damn poor. Super Foster tower...... errr, hello!
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #34
london lad

Likes (Received): 494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoman View Post
Using that argument could justify the demolition of any building and its replacement with sub standard high density residentials. What I am saying is that I hope that the proposal adds something of interest to the area because it is taking something of interest away. I agree that its not St Pauls that we are thinking of pulling down but all the same, endless rows of glass boxes accross the Isle of Dogs is hardly going to lead to the urban utopia that we are seeking on this site.

Its a reflection of the poor quality of architecture at the moment and the limited vision - both in terms of the palette of materials and the style of building - that we are even considering whether this building should be kept. clearly it is not anything particularly special so it is a digrace that some people feel the architectural community cant be entrusted to come up with its replacement.
Actually apart from yourself & a slight concern from Flogging Molly nobody thinks this pub should be kept or is worried its going. Its a poor 1950's pub without any redeeming features both inside or out. There's plenty of older pubs on the isle of dogs as well as newer ones that are infinitely better than this one. Im sure this or some of the other newer developments will have the usual retail, restaurant/bar elements at ground level that will more than compensate for its eventual loss.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #35
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Another vote for demolition after extensive scientific research, well a pint of Guinness. I can't see what on earth is worthy of retention in the City Pride, it's a 50's brick box that are 10 a penny throughout London.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #36
Octoman
Just Relax

Perhaps just a bit of nostalgia on my part from fond memories of my Canary Wharf days.

Perhaps the replacement will be a cracker and all this debate will be irrelevant anyway.
Old April 28th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #37
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 944

My two cents on the City Pride situation. Couldnt they stick a pub in the ground floor of the tower? Not a shitty chain one either. If done decently, ie not a shit pub full of roudy loud millwall fans but a decent pub/wine bar. Could do wonders for the local streetscape. Bring some LIFE in.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:19 PM   #38
Octoman
Just Relax

Would be nice but unfortunately the develpers in Canary wharf these days seem to choose from a selection of three types of cladding, five shapes and four anchor stores for the ground level.

I hope I am wrong but i am expecting some vague variation on a bluey green cladded boxy shaped building with a bit of steel trimming where the bottom level features a bit more steel and bigger windows to accomodate a Slug or an All bar One. It will probably have balconies that are framed by sheets of glass and if they are feeling particularly risky they may even fit some of the panels with cloured glass!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:58 AM   #39
oliviersa
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

LBTH: Request for draft Scoping Opinion on demolition of City Pride PH and redevelopment to provide a 55 to 65 storey tower comprising hotel and residential accommodation.
oliviersa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:14 PM   #40
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6424

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviersa View Post
LBTH: Request for draft Scoping Opinion on demolition of City Pride PH and redevelopment to provide a 55 to 65 storey tower comprising hotel and residential accommodation.
Blimey. Sounds like a possible 800-footer...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: