daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:00 PM   #41
Tony Resta
T-Stays

Likes (Received): 25

Woah! 65 floors? That should be over 200m shouldnt it?

Tony Resta | Official Website
Tony Resta no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM   #42
wjfox
Save the bees!

Likes (Received): 5264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Resta View Post
Woah! 65 floors? That should be over 200m shouldnt it?
Depends, really.

Based on Pan Peninsula's floor heights, I calculate it would be 199m.

Based on the Vauxhall Tower's floor heights it would be 240m... the maximum limit for Canary Wharf.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:17 PM   #43
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 146

Fantastic! It should give some great height variation with the 44 floor Landmark tower. Can't wait to see designs.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM   #44
Newcastle Guy

I've just done some calculations based on all of the high rise residentials planned for the wharf and found that the average floor height is 3.202m.

That would mean:

55 floors: 176m

65 floors: 208m

Last edited by Newcastle Guy; June 8th, 2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM   #45
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 773

This is definitely going to extend the cluster southwards at this size. 65 storeys, thats gonna trump the Wood Wharf resi!

Also,just a thought, 240m, 5 metres over the CW Limit, thats gonna look massive. It will make 1CS look stumpy when you take into consideration the narrower floorplates and how much of 1CS' height is formed by the Pyramid.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:25 PM   #46
TomD'07
Surveying a town near you

Likes (Received): 2

hopefully a nice slender curved tower, since its a small plot. no more boxes please foster!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:49 PM   #47
Newcastle Guy

Yes, if it is anything it is going to be slender! VERY slender! You just have to see how tall PP looks, and that is 'only' 48 floors (and one of the lowest ceiling heights of a resi in the wharf at only 3.07m!). It is also going to be extremely close to the water, literally only a road seperating it so it should look great from the other side.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:38 PM   #48
Octoman
Just Relax

Likes (Received): 2255

This is actually starting to sound quite interesting
Octoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:50 PM   #49
Isle of Dogs Lawyer

Likes (Received): 0

Flatiron

Does anyone know if the developer has just the City Pride plot, or do they also have the land to the north of that which is currently some kind of pumping station (probably defunct) and a bit of grass/gravel? If they have both plots, I would like to propose a Flatiron style building (one of my favourite buildings) which would fit nicely in the triangular plot between Marsh Wall and Westferry Road.
Isle of Dogs Lawyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM   #50
Newcastle Guy

Hmm... I'm really not sure. I don't think there has been any mention of them owning that land? I'm probably wrong, sorry!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:00 PM   #51
london lad

Likes (Received): 426

Its not part of the plot. Its an older warehouse building & possibly listed as its one of the few remaining warehouses in the area.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:12 PM   #52
ibiza
....ENGAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill tonkso View Post
This is definitely going to extend the cluster southwards at this size. 65 storeys, thats gonna trump the Wood Wharf resi!

Also,just a thought, 240m, 5 metres over the CW Limit, thats gonna look massive. It will make 1CS look stumpy when you take into consideration the narrower floorplates and how much of 1CS' height is formed by the Pyramid.
Great news indeed, and unlike the Wood Wharf development (where the credit crunch has made it far less likely to have a start anytime soon especially considering that HQW is ahead in CWG's pipeline) there's a good chance this will not take endless to get started..
ibiza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:21 AM   #53
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle of Dogs Lawyer View Post
Does anyone know if the developer has just the City Pride plot, or do they also have the land to the north of that which is currently some kind of pumping station (probably defunct) and a bit of grass/gravel? If they have both plots, I would like to propose a Flatiron style building (one of my favourite buildings) which would fit nicely in the triangular plot between Marsh Wall and Westferry Road.
The pumping station is still in use if it's the one I think it is. It has a really deep tank inside that forms part of the Isle of Dogs flood defenses. Fills up when there is too much water flowing down the Thames.
If you want to see inside, watch Red Dwarf series 8, they used it as the set. Theres a little documentry on the series 8 DVD that explains all this, apparently the cast were a little worried that it might randomly come into action while they were inside! It wouldn't do that obviously but you know actors.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:50 PM   #54
Isle of Dogs Lawyer

Thanks Ill Tonkso.

Maybe it can be turned into a nightclub - with some interestingly themed water nights.

Living on Westferry Road, I live in hope that one day that Westferry Roundabout will be more like Piccadily Circus surrounded by skyscrapers. I suppose it could one day, just with a pumping station in the middle!

PS - does anyone who knows that area know what the unit next door to Alan Selby is being turned into? it is currently full of workmen.
Isle of Dogs Lawyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:49 PM   #55
Mikey
Aerial Erector

Likes (Received): 2

its very unlikely this will be in excess of 200m more likely 160-180 as a maximum.
Mikey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:59 PM   #56
Newcastle Guy

I doubt it will be as short as 160m. I'd say more 170m as a lower limit, and that is if there are only 55 floors.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:27 PM   #57
london lad

Oracle’s £32m Isle of Dogs coup

Oracle Group has sold a pub site on the Isle of Dogs to Irish residential developer Glenkerrin for £32m.

The developer, run by David Burke, has sold the 0.6 acre London Docklands site, which houses the City Pride pub, for £32m, which is nearly five times more than the £6.75m Oracle paid for it 12 months ago.

Oracle has already started negotiations with the local planning authority over securing permission for a 50-storey residential tower at the site with an end value of £240m.

Glenkerrin was attracted to the site because of its proximity to its other residential development, the Forge.

The sale means Oracle now has a £80m equity war chest, which it hopes to be able to gear up to invest in further development opportunities.

Oracle has added value to the site by negotiating a surrender of pub tenant Glendola Leisure’s lease.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:43 PM   #58
jimbo

Likes (Received): 5

its just going to be so dense with RS, HQW and Landmark just on the doorstep - you need to go high, else there'll be bugger all privacy. Don't know much about Glenkerrin, but I'd be surprised if they pushed ahead in current climates and with such a huge amount of new units u/c already (Landmark/Ability Place/Baltimore Wharf).
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:20 PM   #59
london lad

Jimbo, Glenkerrin are the Irish developers behind the ill fated Foster designed Ealing Leaf tower. I would suspect this Foster designed scheme doesn't get quite as much opposition as that one. Lets hope its as eye catching as the Leaf.
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #60
Newcastle Guy

Is it just me, or has the application disappeared?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: