daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #81
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 3076

i dont think the pub should be listed though but i can see very well the arguments for it being an oasis. when we had our last meet i couldnt help but feel that it was just a great location to have a pub, even if its not a remarkable one. i cant see any rational arguments for keeping it though.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 10th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #82
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 2646

As a skyscraper enthusiast and as someone who doesn't live anywhere near the site in question (and therefore doesn't know the pub in question) I'm all for getting rid of 'just another pub' to expand CW's growing skyline...

....but if I were to look at it from the other side I would say it's a bit of a shame that corporate muscle is stamping out a bit of traditional English life to make way for another shiney glass tower used by foreign companies, and that the locals have every right to be upset at losing something they value dearly that cannot be replicated.

I used to have little or no sympathy for 'NIMBYs' in such cases, that stopped the development of something like a skyscraper, but I have recently been on the other end of the spectrum and discovered what it is like to have unwanted building projects thrust into an area where you live, so as much as I may be in favour of Foster's tower being built here I do understand the opposition to it.

Found this pic of the pub from El Greco's collection, for those who don't know what it looks like:

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #83
gothicform
Bossman

well i find the image quite romantic of this english pub surrounded on all sides by glass towers.
Old June 10th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #84
Isle of Dogs Lawyer

Likes (Received): 0

This pub is not a part of traditional English life. If the local's make enough noise (and btw I think the "locals" are for e.g those that live in Cascades, which whilst still the first resi tower is still only a teenager!, and not the real locals who once declared the Island a republic gawd bless 'em) then perhaps the Council could relocate the pub by way of a section 106 agreement (!!)
Alternatively a contribution to some of the unusual modern art. Or better yet, to transport.

I can't believe that the demolition of this pub is in any way news worthy. Bring on the bulldozers.

ps - has anyone been to the Tooke on Westferry Road? - it is in the Barkantine Estate (those four grey towers with pyramid roofs between Westferry Rd and the Millenium Quarter). It should be the next on the chopping block.
Isle of Dogs Lawyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #85
TomD'07
Surveying a town near you

Likes (Received): 2

I want to see what the design for the new tower is first before i judge it to be a bad or fantastic development. As long as the tower is unique and breaks the cw boxy design, then im for it. If its another box, could end up creating a sterile area.
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #86
london lad

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
It's not Canary Wharf though, it's Glenkerrin. They have nothing else to get on with in the area, at least I don't think they do anyway. Why doesn't Foster try to incorporate something like a park at the top, like they are doing with Helix London at the other side of the island? That would be good. An oasis in the sky.
Glenkerrin are also working on a site in the southern half of the Isle of dogs. They are also working up plans at the southern tip of Westferry rd.

I wouldn't worry to much about the media attention. The BBC report was more positive than negative & was mostly based on the price the site went for. The locals didn't seem too bothered. Theres no way this would be listed anyway.

The tower is going to be mixed use so im sure there will be a bar or restaurant of some sort & im looking forward to seeing what Fosters can come up with for the site & the Audi/3Millharbour site. Along with the SOM Baltimore tower we might just be moving away from the boxy architecture so prevelant around here.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM   #87
Cat man do
Founder of the 'Gy'.

Likes (Received): 227

They could be imaginitive and build the pub into the base in a similar fashion to that of the Citybank tower in New York, which was designed to accommodate a church at its foot. (of course ublike the Citybank, build it properly!)
Cat man do no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:32 PM   #88
Madman
London 2012

Likes (Received): 7

Haha but i dunno, the prospect of a tower with the ability to fling a several hundred tonne dampener at its top across the skyline sounds quite fun!
Madman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #89
gothicform
Bossman

thats exactly what i was thinking cat man do. i was picturing the churches in new york that are swamped by skyscrapers! for me that would be the ideal solution but of course itd be hideously expensive.
Old June 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #90
potto

Likes (Received): 1962

oasis of calm? All I see is a car park and a big road. I think a scheme with the financial clout of a tower by a decent architectual practise will far better utilise this space. Who knows maybe will end up with a pub on the ground floor and a larger more pleasant river side space.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #91
DodgyEye
Talk like a Pirate

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
oasis of calm? All I see is a car park and a big road.
Exactly. Together with a large pink turd in the middle.

Not worth saving imo.
DodgyEye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #92
randolph

Likes (Received): 65

Lets face it that pic is hardly post card worthy is it? It's just a picture of a shite hole that could be almost anywhere! Sod the pub and lets get a nice, tall and slender scraper there!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiwfnLf-MN0
randolph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #93
gothicform
Bossman

but thats the beauty of it. it could be almost anywhere - canary wharf will be unlike almost anywhere.
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #94
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 923

I think they should get rid of the paint job (is that even possible with brick?) and leave it there. Sod the carpark and stick a garden there, this could be a subtle reminder that you are still in the UK whilst exploring in an international looking area.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #95
Comdot
Taikun

Likes (Received): 24

i would be happy to see a building just like the landmark go there.
i think i would like the public realm to be dealt with better than what's along marsh wall- no tarmac/ crap tile roads/ crap tile (the redish things) pavements and no concrete curbs.
stone paving flags, granite curbs and so on should be laid.
maybe i'm just being spoilt living in manchester with it's high quality modern public realms that seem to stretch as far as the eye can see.
that said, the quay area here is just as bland..

Last edited by Comdot; June 16th, 2008 at 04:51 AM.
Comdot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #96
london lad

http://www.propertyweek.com/story.as...de=3116807&c=1

Glenkerrin to build new London landmark

10:57 | 26.06.08

By Harriet Beckham, Harreit Beckham

Developer Glenkerrin is to reveal its plans for a new landmark building for Docklands, designed by Foster and Partners.

It is planned for the site of the City Pride Public House on Westferry Road.

The development plans include a 63 storey residential tower, above a 200 bedroom five star hotel.

Comprising of 410 residential units, it includes one, two and three bed apartments and 8 penthouses.

Ray Grehan, chief executive of the Glenkerrin Group, said: ‘Our plans aim to contribute to the future success of Docklands and London.’

Last edited by wjfox; June 26th, 2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Added source / URL
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #97
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6234

It must be at least 190m then, minimum.
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #98
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6234

Quote:
"63 storey residential tower above a 200 bedroom five star hotel"
In fact, this would imply it's even taller...
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #99
london lad

probably just a typo - They probably meant a 63 storey tower which includes a 200 bed hotel with residential above.

Bit of an annoying article really. Doesn't say when or where they are gong to reveal it. Might be promoting the public consultation for it.
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #100
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 2040

move the pub, dont demolish it.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: