daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #121
delores

Likes (Received): 176

foster seems to have a problem with destoying pubs in new developments.. saying that, this is no jem and if they are so concerned build a new pub/ bar at the base of the tower..
the design though would of been better if it tapered at the top to some sort of pinnacle to avoid the boxy look so favoured in the wharf, it would definately help and add height too, not that it needs it.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 27th, 2008, 12:49 AM   #122
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
yes about 204m AGL by the sound of it jef. wont be the tallest residential tower, that will be battersea's spark plug
At least the credit crunch does not appear to be slowing down new high rise residential proposals in London!
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #123
TomD'07
Surveying a town near you

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
yes about 204m AGL by the sound of it jef. wont be the tallest residential tower, that will be battersea's spark plug
I admire your positive attitude, good stuff!!

Not to sure this is an iconic building (i.e. why another boxy design???), but at 200m+ and being so slim, this will really soar. could be similar to that tall, slim resi at wood wharf that was proposed. As black cat says, the credit crunch doesnt seem to be putting them off...guess they know london will bounce back within a year or so(??) and are confident in the market.

Overall im pleased but will reserve main thoughts until i see those renders on the 3rd july!
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:31 AM   #124
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 188

Also on a positive note, one assumes that this high rise project is anticipated to be supported by the mayor and perhaps also by EH as it lies within one of the clusters of skyscrapers which is now accepted by even the critics of skyscrapers in London. With PP received by the end of the year, it is conceivable that this tower could be under construction by the end of 2009 and occupied before the Olympics.

With regard to the tower aesthetics it is difficult to say much other than it is remarkably tall and slim until more design information can be viewed. It would be amazing if it had revolving floors as very recently proposed for towers in Dubai and Moscow.
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #125
randolph

Likes (Received): 65

I like it - but then I like big boxes, especially in a big cluster. This will really add to CW, it's hieght and slim lines will enhance the area, which, if all the current proposals are built, will be looking pretty darn impressive in 10 years time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiwfnLf-MN0

Last edited by randolph; June 27th, 2008 at 11:16 AM.
randolph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #126
Tony Resta
T-Stays

Likes (Received): 25

Woah! I'm just thinking now, if Pan Peninsula gives such an amazing soar effect at 150m, this building will totally take control.

Tony Resta | Official Website
Tony Resta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 04:48 AM   #127
delores

well its definately comparable to any residential in new york say. I would imagine it being a foster design it will have some interesting points but from the images it looks a bit run of the mill..
Old June 28th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #128
jimbo

Likes (Received): 5

bit difficult to judge based on one render, but looks reasonable to me. The location and the anticipated towers there will make it ridiculously dense, albeit it seems to have a smallish footprint, however that's never stopped Honkers, Chicago or New York from going upwards with tall buildings directly adjacent to each other.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #129
Loyalist.
Let's modernise Britain

Likes (Received): 0

It will be a great addition to the area. Surely the UK's tallest residential building belongs in London and not in Leeds. Docklands is really going from strength to strength, well done to them for showing the rest of England the way ahead.
Loyalist. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #130
Loyalist.
Let's modernise Britain

Likes (Received): 0

It will be a great addition to the area. Surely the UK's tallest residential building belongs in London and not in Leeds. Docklands is really going from strength to strength, well done to them for showing the rest of England the way ahead.
Loyalist. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 12:15 PM   #131
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
The exhibition dates are on July 3, from 4pm to 8pm, July 4 from 4pm to 7pm and on July 5 from 10am to 2pm. They will all be held at the Marriott Hotel in West India Quay.

Residents can also view and comment on the plans via the project website, www.the-pride.co.uk, from July 1.
Wow, what a fantastic website!

Not.

Considering they have decided not to put up the website, will anyone be going to the exhibition?
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #132
Newcastle Guy

It's finally up. Link.

And a new article from the Wharf.

Quote:
New vision for City Pride site

ARCHITECT Foster and Partners has revealed its vision for the City Pride pub site.

The 1950s former dockers haunt will make way for a 63-storey tower which designers expect to rise as high as 209 metres.

It will feature a 13-floor five-star hotel, as well as 40 residential floors and two floors of social housing.

Plans were unveiled yesterday (Thursday) when a three-day public exhibition at West India Quay's Marriott hotel.

Further displays will take place today (Friday) from 4pm to 7pm and tomorrow from 10am to 2pm.

Partner Ian Whitby said: "It's a great site in quite an unusual position at the end of the dock. It's very prominent and close to the water on both sides."

Developer Glenkerrin made the City Pride the most expensive pub in the UK when it paid £32million for the site earlier this year.

But it hopes to cash in on the emerging cluster of high-profile buildings on the western edge of the Canary Wharf estate, including Canary Wharf Group's Heron Quays West and Riverside South office projects, as well as residential and hotel developments such as The Landmark and Newfoundland.

High-end hotel operators are already in discussions to take over the hotel space in the mooted building, and designers envisage an active public lobby similar to the Marriott, featuring a coffee shop, lounge bar and restaurant.

For in-depth reaction to the plans see next week's edition of The Wharf, out on Thursday, July 10. More information on Glenkerrin's plans for The Pride can be found here.
I think it's now called 15 Marsh Wall. did anyone go to the exhibition, or are planning to?
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #133
Newcastle Guy

More pics:

Old July 4th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #134
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1727

You can smell the cheap grey plastic cladding already.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #135
potto

Likes (Received): 1936

yes that bottom section on the render looks worrying. Those bizarre golden shower water colours are rather pointless too.

Why cant the outside look like the inside? Those milky curves are very tasty. After seeing some new projects from Foster & Partners around the world it appears this seems to be a trend so I dont quite know what seems to be holding us back here.

Something isnt quite clicking in the East.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #136
bazzup

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
You can smell the cheap grey plastic cladding already.
Moan moan moan

I think it looks great - fantastic to have a tower of these proportions on the wharf. Detailing looks like it could be interesting and I doubt they'll skimp on the cladding for a high end hotel...

Need more images, obviously.
bazzup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #137
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzup View Post
Moan moan moan

I think it looks great - fantastic to have a tower of these proportions on the wharf. Detailing looks like it could be interesting and I doubt they'll skimp on the cladding for a high end hotel...

Need more images, obviously.
Indeed, we can't forge a proper opinion until we have some better images. The 'watercolours' do look good though.
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #138
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1076

It's another addition and thats a plus point surely but surely we are capable of so so so much more. You see these exotic renderings from architectural practices all over the world, but all we seem to get in Canary Wharf is this. To be fair there are some serious constraints.

I wonder if Foster is the only architect in our world sometimes. Well we will see.
'The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny ... it is the light that guides your way.'
- Heraclitus
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #139
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 9

Looks like yet another run of the mill McFoster building, i'm bored of them, can we have another architect please
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #140
delores

have to say those ' architectual' style drawings foster likes to produce for publicity when a project is in its infancy or don't have a budget for a good renderer, look really bad. I'm still confused by the blobby interior shot? what is it?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: