daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Old April 25th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #1
Suburban Knight
ßANNED

Likes (Received): 72

what's with all the Carey Jones bashing?

Just wondered, as whenever their name is mentioned there's an overwhelmingly negative reaction! I think some of their properties have been pretty iconic and attractive - it's not ALL bad surely!

Pretty amazing building!

and

bad angle on this picture but it pretty much dominates that end of Westgate and looks awesome when it's lit up.

Let's spready the Carey Jones love!
Suburban Knight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 25th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Likes (Received): 239

We had this discussion many moons ago, I tried to put over that their work is actually quite varied, and we need to realise that they can only design within the limitations of the client's budget requirements and specifications, which can sometimes stifle more creative designs.

In the industry, they are a well respected architectural practice.
Rob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 603

I think it's because they dominated the regeneration of Leeds in the early stages, although not so much now. Therefore, buildings- both liked and disliked, became synonymous with them.
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Mikeyp

Likes (Received): 11

I saw that in other threads, always like Carey Jones stuff............ wish i had gone there 3 years ago, mind you would have been sick of 'The Gateway' by now lol

Plus it's great to have strong LEEDS based practice!!

Last edited by Mikeyp; April 25th, 2008 at 12:04 PM.
Mikeyp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #5
Leeds No.1

I like The Gateway! The aqua-green building is wonderful.
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #6
Mikeyp

So do I, nice project.......... hope the final stage gets some decent height
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #7
Naboo

Likes (Received): 1

When we had this debate a while ago, I seem to remember someone posting a picture of every building CJ had built in Leeds. Anyone find it? Their new website is a bit selective.
Naboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #8
Suburban Knight
ßANNED

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1 View Post
I like The Gateway! The aqua-green building is wonderful.
it's cool, although it reminds me constantly of the new Bexley Wing at Jimmy's Hospital, just because there's no other building around in that colour!
Suburban Knight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 05:42 PM   #9
Leeds No.1

Yes same; both are stunning buildings though. I love how the Bexley Wing rises out of the sea of terraced housing, like new life.
Old April 25th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #10
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

Hmmm, I guess I've probably the most vociferous CJ basher over the last few years!

As Rob mentioned, we had a thread a few years ago showing the best and the worst of CJs efforts and it's safe to say that they've contributed some beauties, Princes Exchange, the Leeds Uni building whose name escapes me and Simpsons Fold spring immediately to mind, however they have contributed far too much terracotta dross for my liking and frankly any architectural practice that comes up with West Point deserves all the vitriol that they get.

The previous thread from 2005 is http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=209845 with pictures posted by Magic Realist, Magic where are you mate???

Last edited by Smoggie_Si; April 25th, 2008 at 07:30 PM.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 12:25 AM   #11
Even Flow

Likes (Received): 0

I love Princes Exchange and the tower at Clarence Dock, and I like the aqua building at the Gateway. However, alot of their work is the absolute definition of anywhereville architecture. Leeds, Manchester, London? Who cares, just give em all the same.......I appreciate budgetary constraints but a bit of 'sense of place' doesn't go amiss.
Even Flow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #12
jimbo

Likes (Received): 5

they've got offices in London and even New York......though not sure what they've been commissioned for or had completed in the big Apple. I think that one complaint was simply that they were so ubiquitous with Leeds and at one point, the majority of schemes and proposals were CJ affiliated....... Our main point of reference was Whitehall Quays / Riverside, and West Point / West Central which caused the largest rebuke. I hope that Wellington Place and the cladding on the Plaza come out okay as that will somewhat redeem them in my view.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #13
New_To _This_City
Dedicated Festival Fan

Likes (Received): 1

Im a fan, mainly because they were so important in kick starting the massive developement of Leeds, they had confidence in the local economy when others didnt, and a few carbuncles excluded, they have built some pretty good buildings. I love the office building next to the train station car park especially!
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #14
magicrealist

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie_Si View Post
The previous thread from 2005 is http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=209845 with pictures posted by Magic Realist, Magic where are you mate???
Wotcha Simon!

Still living here in New York. Actually, Rutherford, NJ but no-one knows where that is...

Looking forward to coming back to the UK at the end of May. Taking the new missus to Leeds, of course. Noticed that Lumiere is like a mini Bank of New York - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_of...ower_(New_York) - I'll try and take a few snaps the next time I'm in the city.

Have a nice day y'all!
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #15
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicrealist View Post
Wotcha Simon!

Still living here in New York. Actually, Rutherford, NJ but no-one knows where that is...

Looking forward to coming back to the UK at the end of May. Taking the new missus to Leeds, of course. Noticed that Lumiere is like a mini Bank of New York - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_of...ower_(New_York) - I'll try and take a few snaps the next time I'm in the city.

Have a nice day y'all!
Hey!

Are you back for good at the end of May or just back visiting? Hope all's good in NYC.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #16
aviator

Likes (Received): 156

Well, you either loved them or loathed them, but it looks as though Carey Jones has ceased to be a presence in Leeds.

Quote:
Careyjones Chapmantolcher closes northern offices

6 March 2012 | By Andrea Klettner

Careyojnes Chapmantolcher’s two northern offices have gone into administration, resulting in 31 redundancies, BD understands.

The London-based practice’s offices in Leeds and Manchester – collectively known as Studio North – will close as a result of a “greatly reduced workload”.

Joint administrator Mike Kienlen of Armstrong Watson said: “Careyjones Chapmantolcher is one of the best known architectural practices in the UK and has a national reputation for high-quality award-winning schemes.

“Eighteen months ago, the business adopted a new structure, dividing its operations into north and south. Unfortunately, the northern company has suffered particularly badly from the poor financial conditions in the property market which have delayed the start of many of its projects.

“Rather than waiting for cash-flow problems to escalate, the management has taken decisive action in order to protect as many of its creditors as possible.”

Tim Tolcher of Careyjones Chapmantolcher added: “The London-based group company will be maintaining and developing its national presence and continuing to provide a high level of service to all of our clients.”
(from Building Design)
aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #17
Leeds No.1

End of an era.

They did improve towards the end though; aren't they responsible for Candle House?
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #18
di Livio

Likes (Received): 470

I would never celebrate the loss of jobs, but I do celebrate the end of their stranglehold over architectural contracts in Leeds.
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #19
Mikeyp

sad news.......... sad for the people of that office

My office closed last year, not easy out there at the moment :-(
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #20
Val Verde

Likes (Received): 114

Certainly an end of an era to see Carey Jones Northern operations go and certainly a telling sign of the largely depressed property market although it would certainly be a bad thing if architecture is seen to be more of a London centric profession considering Carey Jones London operations still appear to be doing well. Still Carey Jones did certainly have their mix of the good, bad and ugly in terms of projects such as:

Granary Wharf:

image hosted on flickr

Plaza Tower:

image hosted on flickr

Princes Exchange:

The Gateway:

West Point (surely their nadir considering dogs dinner appearance):

Of course Carey Jones did draw up many other proposals for developments around Leeds which never saw the light of day.
Val Verde no está en línea   Reply With Quote