daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2016, 07:46 PM   #841
definitivo

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicu' de garda View Post
Hello!

I'm planning a drive through Montenegro and so far, I couldn't find a solid source for this question: which is the scenic Tara river canyon road?? Is it worth the detour from an otherwise direct route from Zablijac (after seeing the landmark bridge) towards Budva, via Niksic and Podgorita? If I understand correctly, the road goes toward Mojkovac, after that we have to use the (as I imagine) congested and winding route to Podgorita?

Any help is deeply apreciated!
...if you are going via Niksic, don't miss Monastery Ostrog (must see)...

https://www.google.rs/search?q=niksi...HX5tDiQQsAQIQg
definitivo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2016, 10:15 AM   #842
Ulpiana

Likes (Received): 2589

Quote:
Hello!

I'm planning a drive through Montenegro and so far, I couldn't find a solid source for this question: which is the scenic Tara river canyon road?? Is it worth the detour from an otherwise direct route from Zablijac (after seeing the landmark bridge) towards Budva, via Niksic and Podgorita? If I understand correctly, the road goes toward Mojkovac, after that we have to use the (as I imagine) congested and winding route to Podgorita?

Any help is deeply apreciated!
Unfortunatelly, there is no road that goes by Tara Canyon.

But/but, since you will be in Zabljak, and you want to see Tara Canyon (which is the deepes one in Europe) you have an excellent opportunity. You can go to Curevac mountain peak. It takes some 10-15 minutes hiking from the road (asphalted). From the Durdevica (old) bridge this peak is about 1 hour driving away. From there is the best view of Tara Canyon. See this 360 degree photo.

However, there is a road/highway that goes by Piva Lake that is very interesting to see. See this photo. It is 2 hours detour from your route.

Another scenic road would be if you use Zabljak-Niksic-Kotor-Budva. Views of Boka Kotor are breathtaking.. See this photo.

Anyway, as it was previously said, all Montenegro roads are scenic.

tasosGR, simondanut, panchevo liked this post
Ulpiana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 10:50 AM   #843
tasosGR

Likes (Received): 14

And you must drive this M18 road.IMO the best scenery road in Europe

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2389...1,12.48z?hl=en
tasosGR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 08:58 PM   #844
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1368

Thank you very much, guys, this is great advice! But now, I'm confused, I must choose, and we are on a rather tight schedule.

My initial plan was to leave Zabljak warly, see the Black lake, drive towards Mojkovac along the Tara river (if that road is actually scenic), then to Podgorita, pit stop there, then towards Budva, with a detour up to the Lovcen peaks for a nice view, then up to our room in Budva. So, I am better off changing the route via Niksic, quick-stop there, then Podgorita and back on-route, and as compensation, drive in the morning up to the Curevac peak and get my great shot of the canyon? Is this a good compromise? Also, if we make good time from Belgrad to Zabljak (how much would THAT take?), we can see the peak the day before, and save time on the next day? Is the view best in the morning or evening?

Piva lake looks really good, but it is completely off-course and we have to stick to a schedule, especially since we're not used to driving mountain roads forever (not even driving in Romania hasn't prepared me enough for it). And our Adriatic trip is rather long, so no major changes. Niksic maybe, if we switch the route, but no more . Kotor and the bay are all on the list, we'll be seeing them on route to Dubrovnik, at a leisurely pace .

Thanks again!
Old July 27th, 2016, 11:06 PM   #845
Ulpiana

Likes (Received): 2589

I like your plan

Keep in mind that Blake Lake and Curevac are really close. Perhaps 30 minutes drive. And, you can skip Niksic.
Ulpiana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 12:09 AM   #846
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7711

Dubrovnik? I wouldn't waste time there, its too crowded, kind of boring (lot of old people) & expensive.
Stick to Kotor Bay.
CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 07:53 PM   #847
medicu' de garda
Moderator de garda

Likes (Received): 1368

So, just to be clear, the P4 road isn't scenic as I initially thought? I'd only be taking this large detour on my way to Podgorica only if it's worth it. Is it just some transit road through the mountains, like our own DN7 through Olt valley?

And my final question, is there any road quality map for Montenegro available? Or if not, are there any roads I should avoid while descending towards the seaside?
Old July 28th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #848
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Dubrovnik is not boring, come on, I know it's Croatian, but being objective, it's the best place in that area, Of course Kotor Bay is great, but the best city in the area is Dubrovnik, you simply can't compare it to Kotor, Budva or the like. Another nice place is Trebinje.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 08:58 PM   #849
arctic_carlos
Recondita armonia

Likes (Received): 3976

And Cavtat (just next to Dubrovnik Airport) is also worth a visit.

Bertolt Brecht

AleksLazarevic liked this post
arctic_carlos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 09:29 PM   #850
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

It all depends how far he wants to go from Budva. There are many beautiful places in that area. But if he is willing to go as far as Dubrovnik, he has to visit it. But I would inform myself about the border crossing queues and maybe take an alternative one back...
Old July 28th, 2016, 09:32 PM   #851
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
So, just to be clear, the P4 road isn't scenic as I initially thought? I'd only be taking this large detour on my way to Podgorica only if it's worth it. Is it just some transit road through the mountains, like our own DN7 through Olt valley?

And my final question, is there any road quality map for Montenegro available? Or if not, are there any roads I should avoid while descending towards the seaside?
P4 is scenic and M2/E65 between Mojkovac and Podgorica is also scenic. But it would be more beautiful in the other direction.

See a few pictures for P4:
https://goo.gl/maps/Ro81Uim3Qu42
https://goo.gl/maps/xnbTsWCDfVs

Road quality in general is good, but there are some roads which are very narrow and curvy, especially in the mountains. This is for example P1. But all roads are good to drive. If you visit Lovcen, I would recommend to use P1 from Kotor up to Lovcen. This is stunning!
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 12:36 AM   #852
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Eleven years after opening, longest road tunnel in Montenegro has pretty much paid for itself

Quote:
From the tunnel Sozina income from toll exceeded 80 million

Since the opening of the tunnel Sozina has been slightly less than 24 million vehicles, while toll credited more than 80 million euros, said the director of marketing and maintaining the company Monteput Andrej Mihailovic.

Mihajlovic said that the tunnel Sozina himself repaid in less than a decade. 11 years ago, precisely on July 13, 2005 in the traffic tunnel Sozina is released. For this job, the state credit borrowed 75 million euros.

During the summer months the traffic of vehicles through the tunnel Sozina day exceeds 10 thousand, while the annual average of about 6,500.

From the company Monteput say that in the coming period to further enhance all systems in the tunnel Sozina. They added that for now the only traffic facility that was done by the standards and directives of the European Union.

- Until now completely replaced systems for monitoring and control, built a new system for toll collection, and earlier this year released and billing system using TAG device - Mihailovic said and announced that the existing lighting will be replaced by LED lighting.

stickedy liked this post
Old July 29th, 2016, 10:06 AM   #853
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I drove there too 2 years ago
Old August 13th, 2016, 06:14 PM   #854
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Full speed ahead on Belgrade-Bar motorway, tunnels Jabucki krs & Kosman...

Old September 12th, 2016, 05:54 AM   #855
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Boring of the longest tunnel on this currently U/C stretch, Vjeternik (~3km) ,is now also underway, withexpected completion in 2018

Video available here:

http://www.rtcg.me/vijesti/drustvo/1...jeternika.html
Old September 27th, 2016, 03:36 AM   #856
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Chinese are on the job ...

SRC_100, Autobahn-mann liked this post
Old October 1st, 2016, 07:10 PM   #857
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Roadworks as seen from space ....

[img][/img]

Fooxx67, sponge_bob liked this post

Last edited by CrazySerb; October 1st, 2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old October 1st, 2016, 10:43 PM   #858
Al3XaNd4R
Travanjinjinji

Likes (Received): 1227

Okle si skinuo to?
| ፖድጎሪጻ | Падгорыца | بودغوريتشا | Podgorica | Подъгорица | Подгорица | Ποντγκόριτσα | پودگوریتسا | Podgorytsa | פודגוריצה | Պոդգորիցա | ポドゴリツァ | პოდგორიცა | Podgorika | Podgoritsa | Podgòrica | พอดกอรีตซา | Подгориця |
-----
--> Podgorica <-- |biciklo.me on FB | Željeznice Crne Gore on FB
Al3XaNd4R no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 02:46 PM   #859
filip__pg

Likes (Received): 3846

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al3XaNd4R View Post

Luki_SL, keber, CrazySerb liked this post
filip__pg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2016, 01:24 AM   #860