daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 444 votes, 5.00 average.
Old October 11th, 2006, 01:37 AM   #1
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

Likes (Received): 1565

IT Corridor Road project

About IT Corridor
IT Corridor is an important road connecting Chennai with Mahabalipuram in Tamil Nadu for a length of 45 km. The road, earlier called Old Mahabalipuram Road (OMR), starts from Madhya Kailash Temple Junction on Sardar Patel Road in south-east Chennai and terminates on East Coast Road near Mahabalipuram.

The prestigious TIDEL Park, home to a number of BPO and IT/ITES companies and also the facilities of almost all major IT/ITES Companies in the country are situated along the IT Corridor. Prominent Government Institutes and technical/ educational institutions are also situated along the Corridor.

Besides, Small Industries Promotion Corporation of Tamil Nadu Ltd (SIPCOT) has developed a Cyber City, spread over 2000 acres in Siruseri, abutting the IT Corridor. A number of IT/ITES Companies are in the process of setting up their facilities in the Cyber City

Genesis of Project
Due to heavy movement of traffic and on account of poor soil conditions, the pavement of the Corridor has substantially deteriorated. The opening of the Mass Rapid Transit Line along the first three km stretch and prevalence of densely populated areas in the Kottivakkam-Perungudi stretch have also led to congestion and accidents. The IT Corridor Project aims at improving the Corridor to a world-class facility in consonance with the progressive and IT/ITES friendly image of Tamil Nadu.

About ITEL
TNRDC has incorporated a special purpose vehicle titled IT Expressway Ltd (ITEL) as a wholly owned subsidiary, for domiciling the IT Corridor Project. ITEL being an investment vehicle, has engaged TNRDC as its Managing Associate and is responsible for project implementation and operations and maintenance of IT Corridor.

Project Phasing
The IT Corridor Project is being implemented in two phases – Phase-I between Madhya Kailash Temple Junction and Siruseri and Phase-II between Siruseri and Mahabalipuram. The 2.1 km long ECR Link Road connecting IT Corridor at Sholinganallur and East Coast Road at Kudumiyandithoppu is also included in Phase-I.

Project Description
In Phase-I, the 20.1 km between Madhya Kailash Temple Junction to Siruseri is being widened to dual three lane carriageway with median, service road, non-motorised vehicle (NMV) lane, pedestrian footpath and planter strip. The ECR Link Road will also be improved to dual two lane carriageway.

It is also proposed to construct a vehicular underpass at Thiruvanmiyur Road Junction. Besides, four or five pedestrian subways are also being planned.

Another significant feature of the Project is the construction of service trenches/ducts for conveying utility lines including electrical, telephony and optic fibre cables/wires so as to avoid digging in future. The water and sewer lines would be conveyed under the footpath.

Extensive landscaping and arboriculture, road side arts and sculpture works and value added services are also being proposed. A ten lane state-of-the-art toll plaza would be located at Perungudi along with a modern Toll Administration-cum-Office Block.

ITEL is also responsible for implementing a comprehensive Rehabilitation and Resettlement Plan for rehabilitating project affected families/structures.

Besides, a number of community development initiatives have also been included in the project scope. A solid waste management project on pilot basis is structured for the Karapakkam Village. Community tree plantation for seven villages along the Corridor is also being proposed. The Government School in Thoraipakkam and Panchayat School in Navalur would be rehabilitated as part of the Project.

The estimated Project Cost of Rs 250 Cr will be funded by contribution from GoTN, TNEB and Service Providers and term loans. This cost excludes cost of land acquisition and rehabilitation and resettlement which are being fully borne by GoTN.

The implementation of IT Corridor Project is in progress and is expected to be completed by early 2007.

Feasibility Studies for Phase-II have already been completed and its implementation would be taken up, subject to obtaining necessary approvals.

Last edited by Anniyan; October 12th, 2006 at 05:13 AM.
Anniyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2006, 01:38 AM   #2
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

the IT Corridor way......

Extensive Street Marking and Furniture,

Landscaping, Beautification of MRTS Columns

[IMG]http://i12.************/3y3slt3.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 11th, 2006, 01:41 AM   #3
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

Junctions with signature.

Elements of nature...Junctions as landmarks......

[IMG]http://i12.************/2s1t651.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 11th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #4
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

Ten lane State-of-the-Art Toll Plaza at Perungudi
- two lanes on either side to have electronic toll collection system
- vechiles opting for OBU units to zip through

[IMG]http://i12.************/4d5i1d4.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 11th, 2006, 01:48 AM   #5
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

Buckingham Canal Beautification

Making the Impossible..Possible! (?)

[IMG]http://i12.************/2db04d2.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 11th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #6
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

[IMG]http://i12.************/2e3s4rd.jpg[/IMG]

THE FUTURE

Six Main Lanes, Service Roads, Non Motor Vehicle Lanes, Pedestrian Footpath, Service ducts.....

[IMG]http://i12.************/2mw82dh.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Anniyan; October 11th, 2006 at 02:11 AM.
Old October 11th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #7
Babji

Likes (Received): 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniyan View Post
About IT Corridor

...Another significant feature of the Project is the construction of service trenches/ducts for conveying utility lines including electrical, telephony and optic fibre cables/wires so as to avoid digging in future. The water and sewer lines would be conveyed under the footpath.
this is a wonderful idea. this would save a lot of money, time and hassels in terms of maintenance and enhancements. hopefully, other parts of the country should also adapt this kind of innovative ideas.
land scaping is beautiful.
do they have any nation-wide electronic toll collection system in place or proposals there of?
(as against each toll way having a diff electronic system, making it complicated for road users across the country)

Last edited by Babji; October 11th, 2006 at 02:00 AM.
Babji no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 01:58 AM   #8
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

[IMG]http://i12.************/2qd5tdy.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #9
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

A duct under the Chennai IT highway starting from Madhya Kailash will go all the way through till Siruseri. Electrical and communication cables will be laid in it.

[IMG]http://i12.************/4bgtgzd.jpg[/IMG]

WORK IN PROGRESS: A service duct constructed as an underground corridor, starting from the Madhya Kailash Temple junction, for laying electrical and communication cables to facilitate maintenance work
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:07 AM   #10
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!

[IMG]http://i12.************/47nitdw.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #11
Babji

Likes (Received): 367

Quote:
A duct under the Chennai IT highway starting from Madhya Kailash will go all the way through till Siruseri. Electrical and communication cables will be laid in it...
thanks for the update. this is really a good approach.
Chennai IT highway looks beautiful.
also, maintenance and road expansion type enhancements will become less combursome.

Last edited by Babji; October 11th, 2006 at 02:26 AM.
Babji no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 04:24 AM   #12
p.raghavendra6
in-active member

Likes (Received): 761

Nice Project.

I hope it doesnt get into any disputes because it seems a lot of demolition activity might required.

Service ducts/trenches idea is great and other cities should take a leaf from this.

BTW, are the junctions signal-free?

Nice renderings. Thanx to Anniyan .
p.raghavendra6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 05:10 AM   #13
Naga_Solidus

Likes (Received): 3

I like the project. Will this be fully grade seperated at all junctions?
Old October 11th, 2006, 06:48 AM   #14
satish

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.raghavendra6 View Post
Nice Project.

I hope it doesnt get into any disputes because it seems a lot of demolition activity might required.
Demolition activity for first phase is already over. Infact I would say 50% of work is already over. This project is expected to get completed in 6 months.

Quote:
BTW, are the junctions signal-free?
I don't know. Major part of this road is outside city limits and junctions are not an issue at the moment. First 2 kms of this 20 km first phase, is within city limits and 3 flyovers (Madya Kailash, Tidel Park Jn, Velacheri road Jn) would be required soon. A flyover at Madya Kailash which is where this road begins has already been proposed. Other smaller roads would have to use service roads before they connect to highway.
satish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 06:59 AM   #15
satish

Quote:
Buckingham Canal Beautification

Making the Impossible..Possible! (?)
I have seen this presentation by TNRDC head about couple of months ago. I tell you, this road will look just like what has been presented. This road is 90% complete till Tidel Park jn and within a months time, this will be the best road in Chennai. It is already a pleasure driving on this stretch. Just yesterday lights got switched on for most of this stretch. Lights were also beautiful.

Buckingham canal in this stretch is unique. This canal generally runs from north (AP) to south (Pondicherry) but at this stretch alone, it drains northwards into Adyar river. So, they have to plug just this part and not all of Chennai. That is why this will a successful and they will be able to beautify it so fast. Other waterways are no way close to getting cleaned up.

TNRDC is also involved in developing eco park at Adyar river. Some news regarding this was published sometime ago. He said it was still too early but would be world class.
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:06 AM   #16
sudheeshnairs

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babji View Post
this is a wonderful idea. this would save a lot of money, time and hassels in terms of maintenance and enhancements. hopefully, other parts of the country should also adapt this kind of innovative ideas.
Babji, I think this is the norm adopted in any modern road development project, to have service ducts on either side of the road. Hope all new road projects in India is adopting such practices.

The 42 kms of roads being developed by the Trivandrum Roads Development Company Ltd (TRDCL) are having service ducts through out on either side. Apart from this, there are seperate ducts for rainwater drainage. Every 50m, there is a 'transverse duct' connecting the ducts on the two sides. So this helps to avoid cutting across the roads for laying the cables

Service ducts
[IMG]http://i10.************/2rvzsxj.jpg[/IMG]

Transverse ducts

[IMG]http://i10.************/29p6a8o.jpg[/IMG]

Apart from TRDCL roads, City roads that come under NH subdivision also has two trenches on either side. But the difference with TRDCL roads is that they are not ducts, but simple trenches covered by slabs, which are used as footpaths. And there is no transverse duct.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sudheeshnairs; October 12th, 2006 at 06:28 AM.
sudheeshnairs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #17
greatshankar
CoolBreeze

Likes (Received): 92

great work anniyan
greatshankar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #18
satish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babji View Post
do they have any nation-wide electronic toll collection system in place or proposals there of?
(as against each toll way having a diff electronic system, making it complicated for road users across the country)
Nation wide toll collection? This is just a 20 km road in Chennai. Tolls will be collected from Chennai city and not for residents who live along this corridor.

I don't know how successful this toll collection is going to be. While I would say 90% (wild guess) of users of this road are from city, this would change dramatically. This because we will see lot more residential developments along this corridor. And we will see more cars being used by people who live here than by people from city who use company operated buses. I think either everyone should pay or no one does.
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:25 AM   #19
sudheeshnairs

Likes (Received): 29

Satish, could you please get some snaps of the completed stretches, may be up to TIDEL PARK jn?

sudheeshnairs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #20
goldies

Good effort anniyan .
goldies no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: