daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 284 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:39 PM   #1
coolmukund
I Love Chennai

Likes (Received): 124

Chennai Hotels thread

This thread will keep track of all the existing and upcoming 5-star and 5-star deluxe hotels in Chennai. Since Chennai has opened up to the international markets, several hospitality groups are in queue to set up business in Chennai. Some of them have already started construction, while others are in the pipeline. this thread will keep track of all these developments.

Sponsored Links

Old July 31st, 2009, 06:41 PM   #2
coolmukund
I Love Chennai

The Leela Palace Kempinski, Chennai

The Leela will soon enter Chennai with the first ever beachfront Luxury Hotel.

The location is the idyllic, prime Marina Beach stretch, that is rated the second longest in the world. The Chennai property will sprawl over seven acres.

The 15-storeyed high-rise hotel will have 380 rooms suites. 20,000 sq.ft. will be dedicated to extensive meeting and conference facilities. The architecture inspired by the royal, opulent Chettinad dynasty, will be offset by the grand expanse of the azure blue seas. Hold your breath as this grandeur of heritage reveals itself in 2010.
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:53 PM   #3
Rasnaboy
I love you Rasna!!

Likes (Received): 3

Great work Mukund. Even I thought of creating a dedicated thread for this.
Rasnaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:54 PM   #4
coolmukund
I Love Chennai

JW Marriott in Chennai

Marriott International to More Than Triple Hotel Presence in India by Year end 2010 Marriott to Operate 21 Hotels, Representing 6 Brands, Totaling 5,524 Rooms in India CONTACT:
June Farrell
(301) 380-7796
june.farrell@marriott.com
Washington, DC - 29 June 2007 - The Marriott International, Inc. (NYSE:MAR) hotel brands portfolio in India will more than triple by year end 2010 as the company’s presence in the country grows to encompass 21 properties, six lodging brands ranging from luxury to upper-moderate categories, and an additional 3,324 rooms.

Included in the expansion are:

• three JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts properties and one Ritz-Carlton hotel in the luxury tier;
• one Marriott Hotels & Resorts hotel and one Renaissance Hotels & Resorts property in the upscale, deluxe category;
• one Marriott Executive Apartments property for extended-stay travelers; and
• eight Courtyard by Marriott hotels in the upper-moderate segment.
Marriott International will operate these hotels under long-term management contracts. Currently, the company’s portfolio in India consists of six properties, five brands and 1,534 rooms.

Announced today are six hotels, all of which are expected to open in 2009. They join nine previously announced properties that are soon to start, or are currently under construction in Bangalore, Gurgaon, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, Noida and Pune. In addition, the existing 286-room Renaissance Mumbai Hotel is undergoing a 302-room expansion that is scheduled for completion in 2008.

The newly announced hotels are:

the 371-room JW Marriott Hotel Chennai, which will be located on Santhome Road in the developing commercial area to the southeast of Chennai’s central business district;
• the 328-room Renaissance Bangalore Hotel which will be situated on Bannerghatta Road to the south of the Bangalore city center in the 14.5-acre IBC Knowledge Park, a large mixed-use development that also includes an office complex;
• the 129-unit Marriott Executive Apartments Gurgaon which will be located in the Greenwood City area of Gurgaon and will be the only branded serviced-apartment facility in the area;
• the 170-room Courtyard by Marriott Ahmedabad which will be located at the Ramdev Nagar junction on Satellite Road, approximately six kilometers west of the city center;
• the 299-room Courtyard by Marriott Mumbai International Airport which will be situated on Andheri Kurla Road, approximately four kilometers from Mumbai Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport and eight kilometers from Santa Cruz Domestic Airport; and
• the 210-room Courtyard by Marriott Pune City Centre which will be situated on Sasson Road, adjacent to Jehangir Hospital, approximately one-half kilometer from the Pune railway and bus stations and 10 kilometers from the Pune Lahegaon Airport.

“We are delighted by the depth and scope our hotel portfolio is taking in India,” said Ed Fuller, president and managing director of international lodging for Marriott International. “Our goal is to appeal to a wide range of travelers, both those visiting from abroad as well as local travelers within India. We are confident that the portfolio that we, along with our local investors and partners, are building will be appreciated for their sophisticated amenities as well as for providing good value—whether at the luxury, upscale or upper-moderate segments of the travel continuum.”

Mr. Fuller said that Marriott International expects to announce additional hotels for India in the near future and that the company recently opened a development office New Delhi.

Marriott International began operations in India in 1999 with the opening of the 178-room Goa Marriott Resort. In 2001, that hotel was followed by the opening of the 177-unit Lakeside Chalet Marriott Executive Apartments in Mumbai. Since then, the 286-room Renaissance Mumbai Hotel & Conference Center, the 358-room JW Marriott Hotel Mumbai, the 238-room Courtyard by Marriott Chennai and the 297-room Hyderabad Marriott have all joined the Marriott International brands portfolio in India.
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:55 PM   #5
coolmukund
I Love Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasnaboy View Post
Great work Mukund. Even I thought of creating a dedicated thread for this.
Thank you rasnaboy
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:02 PM   #6
coolmukund
I Love Chennai

ITC Grand Chola, Chennai

Old July 31st, 2009, 07:06 PM   #7
Rasnaboy
I love you Rasna!!

Five-star Hotels in Chennai

This is from one of my previous posts (dated 3-June-2008, post #2019, Chennai Projects Update Thread - III, page 101). I've updated this to the best of my knowledge (and still keep updating... ).

Quote:
As of now, the number of five-star rooms in Chennai is just under 2,500. But with the addition of new five-star hotels (including the Leela and JW Marriott), the number will shoot up to about 5,000 in the next couple of years. Below is the list of five-star hotels in the city (to the best of my knowledge):

Existing five-star hotels

1) Taj Coromandel, Nungambakkam High Road (Deluxe - 205 rooms, 9 storied)
2) Taj Connemara, Mount Road (150 rooms)
3) Le Royal Meridien, Guindy (Deluxe - 240 rooms)
4) The Park, Mount Road (Deluxe - 215 rooms, 12 storied)
5) ITC Chola Sheraton, Cathedral Road (92 rooms, 9 storied)
6) Taj Fisherman's Cove, Covelong Beach (88 rooms)
7) ITC Hotel Park Sheraton and Towers, TTK Road (283 rooms)
8) Trident Hilton, GST Road (166 rooms)
9) Radisson GRT, GST Road (101 rooms) (68 more rooms in the future)
10) The Rain Tree, Alwarpet (an Ecotel Hotel) (105 rooms, 11 storied)
11) Accord Metropolitan, GN Chetty Road (formerly Trader's Hotel) (162 rooms, 13/14 storied)
12) Asiana Hotel, OMR, Semmencherry (114 rooms)
13) Taj Mount Road (Deluxe - 220 rooms)
14) Raintree Anna Salai, Teynampet (18 grounds, 230 rooms, 12 storied)
15) Hilton Chennai, Inner Ring Road, Guindy (Deluxe - 204 rooms, 11 stories) (Operational since February 2011). (150 more rooms in the next 3 years in Phase 2).

Five-stars under construction

1) Hyatt Regency (Formerly Magunta Oberoi), Mount Road (Deluxe - 323 rooms, 83 grounds, 15/16 storied) (Due: Fourth quarter of 2010)
2) JW Marriott, Santhome (Deluxe - 371 rooms, 100 grounds, 11/12 storied) (Due: March 2011)
3) The Leela, Santhome (Deluxe - about 380 rooms, 7 acres, 15 storied) (Due: End 2010)
4) ITC Grand Dakshin (Formerly ITC Grand Chola), Mount Road (Deluxe - about 650 rooms, 8 acres, about 10 stories) (India's Largest hotel) (Due: First quarter of 2011)
5) GRT Oceanic, Santhome (200 rooms, 7 stories)
6) Chennai Palace, GST Road (200 rooms)
7) Raintree, Near Airport (30 grounds, no clue about number of rooms) (not sure whether a 5-star)
8) Ambattur Clothing Limited's (ACL) 5* hotel at Sardhar Patel Road, Guindy [At the erstwhile Concord Motors] (about 10 floors completed) (2.5 acres, 220 rooms)
9) Radisson GRT City Centre, Egmore (5-star) (Due: Third quarter of 2010)
10) Raj Park (Mount Road, Guindy, Near Balaji Hospitals/Le Royal Meridian) (11 storied)

Apart from these we have the existing GRT Temple Bay, Mahabalipuram (72 rooms) (not sure whether 5* or 4*) and the following prospective five-stars to come up in Chennai:

1) MGM Entertainment Pvt Ltd (proposed 5* hotel at Adyar sprawling 16 grounds at a cost of Rs.400 crores) (600 rooms) (http://www.reubenestate.com/article_details.asp?id=193)
2) Claridges Hotel (proposed 5* hotel) (http://www.inrnews.com/realestatepro...lity_industry/)
3) J-Hotel's (Accord Metropolitan) proposed 5* hotel off College Road, Nungambakkam (150 rooms)
4) Unison Hotel's proposed 5* hotel (http://www.inrnews.com/realestatepro...ar_hotels.html)
5) Phoenix Group's (Bangalore) proposed 5* hotel (Rs.200 crores) (264 rooms, 11 storied)

Few more proposed hotels (Am not sure whether the following are five-stars):

1) Appu Hotel's (Le Royal Meridian) proposed hotel at Mahabalipuram (26 acres)
2) Holiday Inn Estancia (35 km from Chennai) (200 rooms, 75 suits) (http://www.hotelresource.com/article32717.html)
3) Hilton Garden Inn(R), OMR, Chennai (250 rooms)
4) Homewood Suites by Hilton, OMR, Chennai (100 rooms)
Please update if any of you know more about the above hotels and upcoming five-stars in the city.

Last edited by Rasnaboy; March 3rd, 2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Updated information
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:16 PM   #8
coolmukund
I Love Chennai

there is some hotel construction going on in the plot adjoining the intersection of Sardar Patel Road and Velachery High Road, very close to the site of Grand Chola. Don't know which hotel it is though.
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:18 PM   #9
natarajan1986
social member

Likes (Received): 879

wow so many 5star hotels
btw do we have any 7 star hotel,if not we shud have atleast one to compete with other cities globally

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
natarajan1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:22 PM   #10
Rasnaboy
I love you Rasna!!

I really doubt whether there is any difference between a 5-star deluxe hotel and a 7-star hotel. Many a times, I've seen Le Royal Meridian being described as a 7-star hotel. Even the upcoming ITC Grand Chola, Grand Hyatt, and the Leela are described as 7-stars.
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:22 PM   #11
coolmukund
I Love Chennai

Plus i think Shangri-La is coming to Chennai with Phoenix Market City. they have not confirmed it though. but Phoenix Mills Pvt. Ltd. and Shangri-La group of hotels have a tie-up.
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:27 PM   #12
coolmukund
I Love Chennai

Phoenix Market City - Chennai

Market City , Chennai - located at Velachery with approximately 2.40 million square foot (including 0.45 million square foot of parking) of developable area.

In addition to the usual Market City components, Market City Chennai is expected to include an IT park.

Velachery is fast emerging as a commercial and retail destination owing to the proximity to the airport and established IT parks, like Tidal IT Park, Elnet Software Park etc

Catchment areas are old Mahabalipuram road (IT area), Guindy (IT sector and our site faces Guindy National Park, a tourist destination), race course, Adambakkam (residential), Mount Road, city centre (high street retail shops), Adyar (residential and upcoming retail zone, proximity to IT park), Koramangala Nungambakkam (up-market high street retail showroom). The hotel component on our development will attract corporate clientele visiting Chennai.

Market City Chennai will have additional special elements hence that will be highlight of our development. The strategy is to achieve maximum rental through placement of right zoning and right tenant mix. We have identified the space for every retailer based on their category and the size requirement. Thanks to the prime area and size, this site will truly become the complete destination and a must-visit on the tourist sightseeing agenda. We don't limit ourselves to the catchment of 5-10 km radius, because the endeavor is to make a ‘city within a city' and extend the catchment to the entire city.

Old July 31st, 2009, 07:28 PM   #13
Rasnaboy
I love you Rasna!!

Is this Phoenix Mills' hotel different from the one mentioned in my post (No. 6 under prospective 5-stars)?
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:32 PM   #14
Rasnaboy
I love you Rasna!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmukund View Post
there is some hotel construction going on in the plot adjoining the intersection of Sardar Patel Road and Velachery High Road, very close to the site of Grand Chola. Don't know which hotel it is though.
That's ACL's (Ambattur Clothing Limited) 220-rooms 5-star hotel under construction. It's where Concord Motors' showroom stood until a couple of years ago.

Current status: About 10/11 floors completed. Dunno about the total number of floors.

Last edited by Rasnaboy; August 10th, 2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Updated information on room count
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:36 PM   #15
coolmukund
I Love Chennai

Quote:
Is this Phoenix Mills' hotel different from the one mentioned in my post (No. 6 under prospective 5-stars)?
oh i did not notice that. it is the same thing only.
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:43 PM   #16
coolmukund
I Love Chennai

More details about Phoenix Market City, Chennai are available in the website.

http://www.thephoenixmills.com/retai...snap-shots.asp

it is going to have a 264 room hotel spread across 11 levels.
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:56 PM   #17
die4chennai

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
That's ACL's (Ambattur Clothing Limited) 300-rooms 5-star hotel under construction. It's where Concord Motors' showroom stood until a couple of years ago.

Current status: About 10/11 floors completed. Dunno about the total number of floors.
Is it the hotel part of the phoenix city project??
die4chennai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 07:58 PM   #18
coolmukund
I Love Chennai

no it is not part of the phoenix market city project. that is different and is located near the intersection of velachery main road and velachery bypass.
Old July 31st, 2009, 08:06 PM   #19
satishanu

Likes (Received): 807

It may be worthwhile to open up a thread for Chennai Hospitals as well. Chennai is one of the best in country in health care sector. It may be helpful for non chennaiite as well to know about them.
satishanu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 10:31 PM   #20
R2IChennai
R2IChennai

Likes (Received): 150

I feel there are way too many threads now! chennai sections is too cluttered?
anyone else think so?
R2IChennai no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: