daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 149 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #221
Rasnaboy
I love you Rasna!!

Likes (Received): 3

1500 street-lights installed

Mayor inaugurated a total of 553 new street-lights

MORE LIGHT: New street lights installed on the CSIR Road in Taramani on Thursday.

CHENNAI: Chennai Corporation has installed 1,500 new street lights in different localities of north and south Chennai at the cost of Rs.2.34 crore, according to Mayor M. Subramanian.

He was speaking on Friday after commissioning the new street-lights in the Thiru-Vi-Ka Nagar area.

According to the Mayor, the civic body has in the current financial year installed 12,220 street lights at a total cost of Rs.19.19 crore. It had also installed 26 high-mast lamps at a cost of Rs.2.93 crore.

In south Chennai 3,999 new lamp-posts were erected and in north Chennai 3,531, he said.

Other works

He listed out other infrastructure development work pertaining to street-lights, including the laying of underground cable for a length of 372 km, 350 solar lights, 746 self-timer devices and 26 high-mast lights.

The Mayor said the Corporation was procuring only branded electrical fixtures for street-lights.

As a result, frequent defects which had occurred in the functioning of the street-lights, were minimised, he said.

On Thursday, Mr. Subramanian switched on the newly installed street-lights on C.S.I.R Road, Taramani. Several IT firms and reputed research institutions are located on the road, which serves as a link between Velachery and Rajiv Gandhi Salai.

At the function on Thursday, the Mayor inaugurated a total of 553 new street-lights, including those in several parts of south Chennai. They include Gandhi Road in Velachery, M.G.R. Road in Thiruvanmiyur, Karpagam Avenue in Adyar and St. Mary’s Road in Alwarpet.

Source: http://www.hindu.com/2009/02/07/stor...0760140300.htm
Rasnaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #222
Praveen.Ravilla

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnancv View Post
yeah but i think that expansion would start beyond Ambattur O.T. From Thirumangalam jn to Ambattur, expansion was proposed by Chennai Corporation. So i believe it will not be part of NHAI project.
Hi Krishna

do you have any details about thiruvallur bye pass if so pls send it to me at Praveen.Ravilla@gmail.com
Praveen.Ravilla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #223
krishnancv

Likes (Received): 446

I don't have any details particular to that by-pass. But i think i saw a tender for road expansion between tiruttani and tiruvallur a couple of months back.

My perspective
krishnancv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #224
Arul Murugan

Likes (Received): 3447

Chennai part of govt plan to upgrade urban roads

Jayaraj Sivan | TNN

Chennai: About 1,200 kmlength of Chennai roads, which do not have proper drainage facilities and footpaths now, could present a different story in the coming three years as the state government has decided to include the state capital, along with four other corporations and seven municipalities, in the first phase of the Tamil Nadu Urban Road Infrastructure Project. The project has an annual budget of Rs 1,000 crore. The government has given administrative sanction for appointing consultants at a cost of Rs 32.5 crore to design, supervise and manage these projects across the state. The state government is planning to develop in a phased manner, over the coming ten years, all roads in corporations and municipalities.

Apart from Chennai, the government has shortlisted Tiruchi, Tirunelveli, Tirupur and Madurai corporations and Alandur, Mayiladuthurai, Karur, Inam Karur, Kumbakonam, Thanjavur and Valasaravakkam municipalities for implementing road upgradation works such as widening and improving road quality, ducting, and laying drainage and sewerage lines.

“Since Chennai’s requirements are different, laying drainage will be our priority. The city has 2,800 km of roads, out of which about 700 km are small roads that do not need drainage facility. Of the balance 2,100 km, about 900 km of roads have proper drainage. The balance 1,200 km will be partly covered under this scheme,” a senior official said. The Tamil Nadu Urban Infrastructure Financial Services Ltd has initiated the tender process for appointing consultants.

The consultants will submit their reports before February, 2010, and the actual works would be taken up only in the financial year 2010-2011, said an official.

From TOI

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Arul Murugan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #225
gandharva95

Likes (Received): 5

gandharva95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #226
Rasnaboy
I love you Rasna!!

Likes (Received): 3

Corporation bid to provide additional road space

CHENNAI: In an effort to provide additional space to vehicle users, the Chennai Corporation has embarked on a drive to blacktop margins of around 75 km of roads in the city.

The unused space between the footpaths and the road is being filled with tar topping. This is being done only in places where there is clay and water percolation is impossible.

Corporation Commissioner Rajesh Lakhoni told The Hindu that of the 300 km of bus routes, 75 km was targeted and 30 km completed till date. “We are not disturbing the pavements in any way. In places where streetlights were on roads they have been shifted inside the footpaths.”

Source: http://www.hindu.com/2009/02/14/stor...1450010100.htm
Rasnaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #227
barrykul

Likes (Received): 544

Well finally a good move. Most streets in Chennai and rest of India are filled with dirt and debris, practically closing of a usable lane for traffic. Whether this was done by intention or not, the end result is that roads look unfinished, traffic avoids the lane. With increase of traffic we need the extra lane for faster flows. The foot paths are another thing awaiting a fix. None of them are usable. Sometime ago, I believe during Amma reign footpaths were done with paver blocks. Problem is that the footpaths were not properly leveled and compacted. Today the paver blocks are uneven and peeling of. The side walks even with proper paving would still be unusable. Each of them sits up very high from the road level. The entry ways into buildings cause one to go up and down every few feet. No one has thought about how these end products would be used by the public, which is frightening to say the least. This from a civilization which has been world dominant for several thousand of years, e.g. Indus valley civilization had good roads and pavements with proper drainage.
barrykul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #228
ramvaradan

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasnaboy View Post
CHENNAI: In an effort to provide additional space to vehicle users, the Chennai Corporation has embarked on a drive to blacktop margins of around 75 km of roads in the city.

The unused space between the footpaths and the road is being filled with tar topping. This is being done only in places where there is clay and water percolation is impossible.

Corporation Commissioner Rajesh Lakhoni told The Hindu that of the 300 km of bus routes, 75 km was targeted and 30 km completed till date. “We are not disturbing the pavements in any way. In places where streetlights were on roads they have been shifted inside the footpaths.”

Source: http://www.hindu.com/2009/02/14/stor...1450010100.htm
reclaiming the wasted space is a good idea. apart from the face-lift, the key to the success is making it tougher to trespass/violate for the encroachers. a higher elevation of the curbs or some sort of coping along the edge of the footpath might work. as for the sand/dirt piles, so long as there are open-bodied trucks that carry sand/dirt/gravel there will always be that. lets just get over it.
ramvaradan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #229
Arul Murugan

Outer Ring Road for Chennai Metropolitan at the cost of 858 INR crore.

- Announced in Tamilnadu budget 2009-2010

http://tm.dinakaran.com/showxml.aspx...578&code=24251

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If i am correct the present Inner Ring Road i.e 100-feet road was the plan of ex-chief minister MGR in 1980's!

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Old February 17th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #230
Arul Murugan

More news

http://203.200.89.222/maalaimalar/17.../154235593.jpg

* The ORR starts from Vandalur and goes till Nemilicherry via Naserthpet for 30KMs

* Works will start this year itself

* 100 INR crore allotted for this year.

அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #231
dis.agree

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arul Murugan View Post
Outer Ring Road for Chennai Metropolitan at the cost of 858 INR crore.

- Announced in Tamilnadu budget 2009-2010

http://tm.dinakaran.com/showxml.aspx...578&code=24251

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If i am correct the present Inner Ring Road i.e 100-feet road was the plan of ex-chief minister MGR in 1980's!

inner ring road was part of first master plan drafted early 70s. i don't believe mgr did anything for chennai. i always thought 1980s was the worst decade for chennai's growth.
dis.agree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #232
MyNation

Likes (Received): 169

62-km outer ring road to ease congestion

Chennai: Chennai will soon have a 62-km-long outer ring road (ORR) which will help in reducing traffic congestion in the city. The new ORR will come up between Vandalur and Minjur through Nemilichery near Pattabiram, Tiruvottiyur and Ponneri to enable vehicles from southern districts to reach the northern side without entering the city.
The state government on Tuesday announced in the Budget that the project will be implemented at a total cost of Rs 858 crore, connecting three major national highways including Chennai-Trichy highway, Chennai-Bengaluru highway and Chennai-Kolkata highway. The road will be built in two phases under public-private partnership but the government has proposed not to collect any toll from the road users. Works for constructing the 30-km long road from Vandalur to Nemilichery through Nazarathpet will be taken up in the first phase this year. The government has allotted Rs 100 crore for the project in the 2009-10 Budget.
Highways secretary K Allaudin told Times of India that the project would be commenced as soon as possible. “Land acquisition for the first phase and 60 to 70% for the second phase has already been completed. Though there are some court cases seeking enhanced compensation, they will not affect the project implementation. As the government has allotted funds for the project, other things including calling of tenders will follow in due course,’’ he said.
In view of the increasing vehicular population, the sixlane ORR would be a great relief in bringing down the traffic congestions inside the city to a considerable extent, Allaudin added. Already, Chennai bypass, a 32-km long expressway to interlink all the four national highways around the city from Tambaram to Madhavaram through Maduravoyal and Ambattur, is being constructed by the National Highways Authority of India. While the first phase of Chennai bypass upto Maduravoyal was completed last year, second phase of the work — which includes an elevated highway for three km — is in progress. On completion of the bypass project, vehicles coming from Tiruchi and other southern districts can reach Bangalore Road, MTH Road and Kolkata High

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...Mode=HTML&GZ=T
MyNation está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #233
chennaidesi

Likes (Received): 276

This project will get over in 2015(only 63kms)

with only 4 lanes.

Mean while

Bangalore will have Metro,Monorail,BRTS,MRTS and PRR also for more than 500 kms

Hyderabad will have Metro,Monorail,ORR,IRR,PRR and BRTS for more than 500 kms
chennaidesi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #234
venkatm

Likes (Received): 446

This ORR has been in the same status for many years. See the exact same status regarding land acquisition reported in 2004-5
http://www.tn.gov.in/policynotes/arc...d2004-05-8.htm

They will give same status in 2015 too. Our people and media are indeed idiots
venkatm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #235
chennaidesi

My point here is

Even though I am happy Bangalore and Hyderabad are developing very well Chennai should not be left behind.

After ORR completes it will be a big boost for Hyd.
Bangalore Metro is progressing fast, it will come end 2010 and that will be a big boost for Bangalore image and past glory of IT growth will start from 2011 and Chennai will be left behind if at least these very small project are not getting completed in time.
Old February 19th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #236
bharani.nitt

Likes (Received): 46

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chennai_RBTW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chennai_BRTS

Check this out . We are not far behind . We are ahead of Bangalore and Hyderabad when it comes to public transport .We got a suburban railway system , MRTS already . Metro will cover the areas missed out here . Our traffic management is much more efficient than Bang and Hyd ,so we got no problems here .

But let's hope these are not paper projects . One city we have to dread is Ahmedabad , it is makin rapid strides .
bharani.nitt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #237
bharani.nitt

Likes (Received): 46

Proposed:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chennai_Monorail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chennai_Metro

Existing Systems:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chennai_suburban_railway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Ra...ystem_(Chennai)

Does any city in India apart from Mumbai boast of such high quality public transport ?
bharani.nitt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #238
chennaidesi

Chennai Public Transportation is one of the best in India

I am aware of the fact. My only concern is when other cities are having a operating Metro and Monorail if Chennai gets it after say 5 ways there will be lot of lost opportunity to the city and Chennai should get it at least within 2 years after them so the gap is less.
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #239
ranga

Likes (Received): 408

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennaidesi View Post
Even though I am happy Bangalore and Hyderabad are developing very well Chennai should not be left behind.

After ORR completes it will be a big boost for Hyd.
Bangalore Metro is progressing fast, it will come end 2010 and that will be a big boost for Bangalore image and past glory of IT growth will start from 2011 and Chennai will be left behind if at least these very small project are not getting completed in time.
Are you so sure that Bangalore and Hyderabad are developing very well?I stay in my hometown Hyderabad and visit Bangalore frequently but observe their growth like any other place in our country.people in Hyderabad who visit chennai say that your city is making good progress particularly flyovers,public transport and industrial growth.
ranga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #240
ranga

Likes (Received): 408

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennaidesi View Post
I am aware of the fact. My only concern is when other cities are having a operating Metro and Monorail if Chennai gets it after say 5 ways there will be lot of lost opportunity to the city and Chennai should get it at least within 2 years after them so the gap is less.
Take it from me no city in India with the exception of Delhi and Kolkatta will get a metro system in operation with in even a decade from now.In India every infrastructure project moves at a snail's pace and in chennai it is even much slower.Things are different in China.I had the opportunity to see the big cites in the Dragon country and they are mind boggling and the execution of the projects at a fast pace is seen to be believed.
ranga no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: