search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #101
Rasnaboy
I love you Rasna!!

Likes (Received): 14

They've even started painting in green a portion of the Ambattur estate stretch of the corridor. It looks marvellous especially when you drive on the surface road between the two elevated corridors.

Last edited by Rasnaboy; December 6th, 2008 at 04:06 AM. Reason: typo
Rasnaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #102
Madras_Fan
A real Fan

Likes (Received): 20

Bypass Phase 2 will be completed before 2008 End.....
Old August 29th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #103
ImBoredNow
I have no life : (

Likes (Received): 192

Sweet road.
I'm guessing it's a 4 lane expway.
Is the pavement laid down?
How's the road below the expway?
ImBoredNow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #104
futurebiz1

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBoredNow View Post
Sweet road.
I'm guessing it's a 4 lane expway.
Is the pavement laid down?
How's the road below the expway?
A long stretch of the elevated bypass passes over the Ambattur Estate 3rd main road.The road below is wide enough but bcoz of the constructions going on it is very very dusty.Although the road below is wide, only a small width
of the road is tarred.It is an interior road and the traffic isn't much.Also one does not have to use this road unless one wants to visit a particular place on this road.
futurebiz1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #105
futurebiz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madras_Fan View Post
Bypass Phase 2 will be completed before 2008 End.....
2008 End is a very very optimistic deadline.
Mid 2009 would be a realistic one, though my personal take is end 2009
futurebiz1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #106
Rasnaboy
I love you Rasna!!

The road below is wide enough to mark 4 lanes. Think it should take atleast another year or so to complete as the stretch between Madhuravoil and Ambattur is still incomplete (and also the stretch beyond Pattaravakkam railway line).
Old August 30th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #107
Raj_network
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by satsukhoi View Post

It is awesome!.. hoping all big construction projects in chennai city is coming into reality nowadays!.

Last edited by Raj_network; August 30th, 2008 at 02:44 AM.
Raj_network no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:42 AM   #108
gandharva95

Likes (Received): 5

Bypass phase-II in six months?

Same picture featured in dinakaran: http://dkn.dinakaran.co.in/showxml.a...291&code=18072

Caption says: சென்னை அடுத்த மதுரவாயலில் இருந்து புழலுக்கு 100 அடி சாலை அமைக்கப்பட்டு வருகிறது. 13 கி.மீ. நீளமுள்ள இந்த சாலையில், அம்பத்தூர் தொழில் பேட்டை இந்துஸ்தான் போட்டோ பிலிம்ஸ் நிறுவனம் அருகில் இருந்து புழல் வரையில் 3 கி.மீ. தூரத்துக்கு சாலையின் இருபுறமும் மேம்பாலம் அமைக்கப்பட்டு வருகிறது. இந்த சாலையின் மொத்த மதிப்பீடு ரூ.480 கோடி. 2005 மே மாதம் தொடங்கிய பணி, இன்னும் 6 மாதத்தில் முடிவடையும் எனத் தெரிகிறது. இந்த சாலை சென்னை-பெங்களூர் தேசிய நெடுஞ்சாலையையும், சென்னை-கொல்கத்தா தேசிய நெடுஞ்சாலையையும் இணைக்கும் வகையில் அமைக்கப்பட்டு வருகிறது. படம்:பிரபு

Translation: A 100 feet-wide highway is being constructed from Maduravoyal (outskirts of Chennai) to Puzhal. A 3-km stretch of this road from near Hindustan Photo Films Corp to Puzhal is being constructed in the form of two elevated carriageways. It seems like this 480 crore-worth project, started in May 2005, will be completed in six months. The road is meant to connect Chennai-Bangalore and Chennai-Kolkata national highways.
gandharva95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #109
kpgopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurebiz1 View Post
A long stretch of the elevated bypass passes over the Ambattur Estate 3rd main road.The road below is wide enough but bcoz of the constructions going on it is very very dusty.Although the road below is wide, only a small width
of the road is tarred.It is an interior road and the traffic isn't much.Also one does not have to use this road unless one wants to visit a particular place on this road.
Yes currently this road is very bad. However, this road on the ground level is also part of the scope of work for the bypass and will be maintained by the Highways dept in future. It is going to be a 20 m wide road. The traffic on this road is likely to increase once the elevated road is operational since there is access to the elevated road from this road.
kpgopal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #110
PlaneMad
Non-Paying Member

Likes (Received): 174

Just curious, was that photo taken from a building? the height seems about 10+floors
PlaneMad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:21 PM   #111
kpgopal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneMad View Post
Just curious, was that photo taken from a building? the height seems about 10+floors
The photo must have been taken from the top of the India Land Tech Park which is under construction. ( 13 floors above the ground)
kpgopal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #112
barrykul

Likes (Received): 1368

Chennai city has much more green cover than I thought. Must be the concerted RWH programs to increase the water table level. Some more aggressive planting of trees and shrubs would complete the all round green cover.

Now, if the flat rooftops in many buildings were populated with Solar Panels then the city would become an environmental showcase. Of course we still need to improve infra and cleanliness in public areas. Autos need to be banned and replaced with CNG vehicles (Nano perhaps) and Buses/Cars need to be regulated for pollution. Chennai Metro can take some of the polluting traffic. River cooum needs a complete flush through.
barrykul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #113
PlaneMad
Non-Paying Member

I have added the approximate ORR and bypass road alignments to openstreetmap
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=13...layers=B000FTF
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #114
ramvaradan

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
PlaneMad,

Cool Stuff. You've always given us interesting maps. Can you pl. educate me/us on who has the golden source for these maps and how they did it ? I guess someone must have superimposed on the sattelite imagerymap (from google/wiki ?) to draw such an accurate schematic map .... Is that right ?
ramvaradan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #115
ramvaradan

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrykul View Post
Chennai city has much more green cover than I thought. Must be the concerted RWH programs to increase the water table level. Some more aggressive planting of trees and shrubs would complete the all round green cover.

Now, if the flat rooftops in many buildings were populated with Solar Panels then the city would become an environmental showcase. Of course we still need to improve infra and cleanliness in public areas. Autos need to be banned and replaced with CNG vehicles (Nano perhaps) and Buses/Cars need to be regulated for pollution. Chennai Metro can take some of the polluting traffic. River cooum needs a complete flush through.
Yes, those are my thoughts too .. Solar Panels tehcnology is so under utilized in India, at the most they use for coooking/heating. With the advancement in photo-voltaics, they can save upto 40% of the power bill or even upload to the power grid. And, the geo-thermal cooling is almost unheard of .. Esp. in offices & huge layouts they can save tons of airconditioning load. Govt. should mandate that any IT park/commercial malls must have those installed. The demand will spur the supply and who knows, the large-scale production might make them cheaper too. These are no more future technologies and we better wake up to get ahead of the curve.

We also Hydrogen/Fuel Cell cars.. cleaner & renewable.

I wish some millionaire somewhere in Chennai makes a model house that is perfectly self-sustainable ... and Cars running fuel free !! It would be a costly prototype but its a demonstration of what could be done ... thats tangibly beneficial to comon man
ramvaradan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #116
PlaneMad
Non-Paying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvaradan View Post
PlaneMad,

Cool Stuff. You've always given us interesting maps. Can you pl. educate me/us on who has the golden source for these maps and how they did it ? I guess someone must have superimposed on the sattelite imagerymap (from google/wiki ?) to draw such an accurate schematic map .... Is that right ?
Thanks
Pretty much whatever you see was drawn by me by tracing yahoo satellite imagery. Ive ben doing it with some help from the corporation. Anyone can edit the map and its completely open source.
Im looking for help to complete the map and am planning to organise a workshop soon to help others who are interested in contributing. If everyone mapped their area, we would have a completely free detailed map of the city
Old September 12th, 2008, 04:28 AM   #117
Rasnaboy
I love you Rasna!!

Great PlaneMad! Please let us know when you do that!
Old September 13th, 2008, 04:08 AM   #118
kvijayasundaram

Likes (Received): 547

4 laning of mount-madippakkam rd begins...

http://www.hindu.com/2008/09/13/stor...1361000400.htm

Quote:
Work on the long pending and much needed widening and improvement works on Medavakkam Main Road, an important arterial road in the southern suburbs of Chennai, has commenced and is expected to completed by the end of 2009.

The 9-km-long road (called Mount-Madipakkam Road in official parlance of the State Highways Department) connects St.Thomas Mount railway station with Velachery Main Road at Medavakkam. A phenomenal growth in traffic owing to the mushrooming of several residential localities along the urban and rural local bodies on this stretch had necessitated improvement works on the arterial road.

With some of the densely populated localities of Pallavaram, Alandur and Ullagaram-Puzhuthivakkam Municipalities and Madipakkam and Medavakkam village panchayats being close to this road, there was pressure from various groups, including citizens’ groups and youth organisations, to carry out improvement works to ease congestion.

The underground drainage project on this road within the limits of Pallavaram Municipality for about two km had reduced this arterial highway into a stretch of potholes, forcing residents and youth organisations to stage demonstrations. During monsoon, travelling on this stretch between Medavakkam and St. Thomas Mount, especially from Keelkattalai to Madipakkam is a nightmare. Even during peak hours now, it takes a precious amount of time to negotiate this stretch.

Several rounds of inspections were carried out and tenders floated but the work never commenced. However, all the hassles were sorted out recently and work on widening the entire stretch of the road was taken up under a scheme of Chennai Metropolitan Development Plan of the State Highways Department.

Officials told The Hindu that a sum of about Rs. 16 crore has been alloted for the project. The existing two-lane (about 7 metres) would be converted as a four-lane highway (about 16 metres) from Medavakkam and St. Thomas Mount Railway Station. To be funded entirely by the State government, the improvement works include construction of permanent raised medians, strengthening of shoulders and provision of stormwater drains.
Encroachments

The department was still surveying the extent of encroachments that had to be cleared and the area of land that needed to be acquired for the project. The sanctioned amount of Rs.16 crore was allotted only for civil (road laying and provision of other utilities) works, officials added.

Another important component of the project was shifting of utilities, including transformers of Tamil Nadu Electricity Board, telephone cables and water pipelines. The Highways Department was currently engaged in discussions with the government agencies concerned, officials said. They hoped to complete the entire project in 15 months. Once completed, it would benefit people travelling by government buses and private vehicles and also ease congestion on Grand Southern Trunk Road and Velachery Main Road, the other arterial roads running parallel to this road.
kvijayasundaram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #119
Tamizhan

Quote:
I always wondered about the Bypass road allignment when it touches NH5.

When you look in google map, you can clearly see the road work preparations of the Bypass Road from Madhuravoyil upto puthagaram Rd/surappattu Rd.
But beyond that when it gets close to the NH5, especially after Perambur High/Red Hills Rd - there seems to be a lot of residential and/or factory buildings.

I understand that google map is bit older, but I cannot find any other better arial map...

Did you draw this aliignment based on some information from the construction on site?

If not, can someone from that area shed some light on how the allignment goes? - They sure must have demolished those buildings by now and started the ramp connections to NH5 !!!!
Tamizhan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:31 AM   #120
gandharva95

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamizhan View Post

I understand that google map is bit older, but I cannot find any other better arial map...
The aerial shot was taken 1.5 years ago. The latest version of google Earth (you need to download and install the same) shows the date on the status bar, when you zoom in and mouse over the area.
gandharva95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote