daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Speakers' Corner

Speakers' Corner For London related discussion

Old January 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #2121
potto

Likes (Received): 1644

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstan74 View Post
I agree with the idea of clusters in the suburbs, but I don't think Boris himself does. This would require an increase in the density of some of the suburban centres, and dare I say it, some tall buildings? The response to The Leaf proposal shows how eager the Boris-supporting suburbs are for increased densities.
Ah yes the great suburban swindle! Basically suburbanites live in one of the most inefficient urban formations known to man, ultimately subsidised so that a few can live frivolously. And my how they protect this unfortunate mishap of history and my how they have the audacity to whine and drag their heels at the herculean efforts of man to create decent urban places! The great urban fusebox of creativity and social harmony is triggered by increased density. We now have environment issues such as concerns over natural habitats and agricultural land to add weight to this millennia long trend. It beggers belief that they can get away with it without paying the price of their selfishness.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 21st, 2009, 01:31 PM   #2122
dirtydog
No! No! No!

Likes (Received): 5

Sky's the limit as Boris takes his French leave
21/01/2009 - Evening Standard

ONE OF Boris Johnson's most popular election pledges was to oppose the building of towers in unsuitable locations and in places where they would obscure important historic views.

It also proved to be the pledge he was to break most quickly, and more often, than any other. Boris failed to oppose the eyesore Doon Street tower on the South Bank, and withdrew previous opposition to tall buildings at Waterloo Station and suburban Ealing Broadway.

Can the Mayor have fallen for the charms of London's property developers or their persuasive agents? The answer could lie in his decision to attend this year's annual property industry boozefest on the French Riviera, known as MIPIM. A mayoral spokeswoman has confirmed that Boris would be attending on 10 and 11 March, although she declined to say any more.

This is mildly ominous. It was widely assumed that the transformation of Ken Livingstone from developers' scourge to skyscraper fan took place in the fleshpots of MIPIM, where he was royally and repeatedly entertained by people who subsequently benefited from favourable planning decisions made by City Hall. In 2006 there was a row when it was revealed that it had cost London taxpayers £30,000 for Ken and his entourage to go to Cannes.

Perhaps as a result, Ken stayed away in 2007 and last March he was too busy trying to win the Mayoral election.

Boris's trip is bound to come under close scrutiny, but temptation may have been reduced by the credit crunch. I hear agents Savills will not be hiring Lady Lola, the 205ft luxury yacht that comes with its own private cinema and golf range, which it used to impress and entertain guests during the boom years.
dirtydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:36 PM   #2123
potto

I would like the Evening Standard to be personally taxed out of existence for this insistent spamming of any attempts to give the majority of Londoners a hope of having an accessible decent private secure house!
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:09 PM   #2124
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1554

Boris Johnson's housing policies 'will reinforce London's class divide'
Published by Jon Land for 24dash.com in Housing
Tuesday 20th January 2009 - 11:24am

One of Britain's leading experts on housing has warned that Boris Johnson's housing policies will reinforce the class divide in London.

In a submission to the Progressive London conference debate, published today, Adam Sampson, Chief Executive of Shelter, said: "The Mayor's proposals will, if implemented, serve merely to perpetuate the wealth and class divisions in the nation's capital."

Mr Sampson will be speaking at the Progressive London conference on January 24 to discuss how to crack London's problems, in a session chaired by former Greater London Authority Chief Executive and current Chair of the Tenants Services Authority Anthony Mayer.

In his article Mr Sampson says today that there is a danger of "pass the parcel" over affordable housing supply and that the Mayor of London's commitment to providing affordable housing for rent "appears lukewarm in the extreme."

He argues that Boris Johnson's response to London's housing crisis will be a key indicator of how a Conservative Government would act nationally, but says "the initial signs are not propitious."

"The Mayor's draft housing strategy, published two months ago, does not signal much understanding on the part of the Conservatives about the extent of the housing challenge and how it should be met," he writes.

"While it does commit the Mayor to matching the number of affordable homes promised by his predecessor, there is nothing in it to respond to the drying up of supply caused by the flight of buyers - and lenders - from the private housing market.

"Quite the reverse: the strategy suggests an overall shift away from building houses for social rent and towards an expansion of low-cost home ownership schemes.

"Given the complete withdrawal of mortgage lending from these schemes, quite where the buyers are going to come from is not clear.

"The commitment on the part of the Mayor towards providing affordable housing for rent appears lukewarm in the extreme. Yes, social housebuilding will continue - for the short term at least - but with a reduced target.

"Moreover, in a very significant shift from his predecessor's policy, Boris has removed the obligation on all local authorities to guarantee that at least 50 per cent of new housing in their area will be affordable, allowing each to make their own assessment of what is needed.

"The inevitable result of this will be that boroughs will proceed to play pass-the-parcel with affordable housing supply, each arguing that while they support the overall target, they themselves should be exempt from it.

"The Mayor's proposals will, if implemented, serve merely to perpetuate the wealth and class divisions in the nation's capital.

"Indeed, Boris has already accepted that the richer boroughs will not be encouraging housing for those less well off, suggesting instead that the bulk of social housing is built in the Thames Gateway, far from the wealthier western local authority areas and the outer London commuter-belt which provided his votes.

"In other words, those most in need will be exiled to the poorer, eastern fringes of the city, where transport, jobs and services are scarcer and the difficulties in building positive, achieving lives are greater.

"This is only a draft strategy. It could still be changed. But the absence of any new mechanisms for guaranteeing supply in the private market and the dismissive attitude both to social housing and the concept of economically and socially mixed communities are worrying signs for those who have hopes that the Conservatives will live up to the vision painted by their leader."

Adam Sampson's comments are part of a series examining key issues for the capital, ahead of the first Progressive London conference this Saturday.

Other contributors so far are Jenny Jones AM, transport commentator Christian Wolmar, and blogger Adam Bienkov.

Further contributions will be published later this week.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:16 PM   #2125
london lad

Likes (Received): 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
I would like the Evening Standard to be personally taxed out of existence for this insistent spamming of any attempts to give the majority of Londoners a hope of having an accessible decent private secure house!
Hmm the ES accusing Ken & Boris of being in the pocket of developers.

Is this the same ES that gave Simon Jenkins ( Ex head honcho of EH) plenty of one page articles decrying tall buildings ruining Londons heritage.

No hint of bias at all.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM   #2126
potto

Imagine a future mayor declaring all new build to be publicly funded! Imagine the ES hysterics.
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:31 PM   #2127
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 237

I hear the ES is about to be purchased by a Russian Oligarch?

Is it pure coincidence that a mans Scrotum resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:10 PM   #2128
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1554

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulattokid View Post
Yep, who is vehemently anti-Livingstone. A match made in heaven I guess.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:57 PM   #2129
Octoman
Just Relax

Likes (Received): 2318

Boris has been rather quiet lately.

Must be working hard to stear our city through the mighty mess made by the national government.
Octoman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:07 PM   #2130
wjfox
Save the bees!

Likes (Received): 5333

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulattokid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Yep, who is vehemently anti-Livingstone. A match made in heaven I guess.

There was a wonderful article in The London Paper yesterday - basically saying how the Evening Standard is dying, with a 90% reduction in circulation compared with 5 years ago, and Londoners being turned off by its conservative, preachy, negative tone... EXACTLY what DarJoLe, Mulattokid and myself have been saying about it. I still have a copy actually - I'll try to post a scan later.
wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:08 PM   #2131
potto

excellent
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:39 PM   #2132
mulattokid
BLAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
There was a wonderful article in The London Paper yesterday - basically saying how the Evening Standard is dying, with a 90% reduction in circulation compared with 5 years ago, and Londoners being turned off by its conservative, preachy, negative tone... EXACTLY what DarJoLe, Mulattokid and myself have been saying about it. I still have a copy actually - I'll try to post a scan later.

Is it pure coincidence that a mans Scrotum resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #2133
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
ohhh please do. It'll be like a bedtime story
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #2134
wjfox
Save the bees!

Likes (Received): 5333

wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:40 AM   #2135
El_Greco
Flāneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoman View Post
Must be working hard to stear our city through the mighty mess made by the national government.
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #2136
acc521
Do you expect me to talk?

Likes (Received): 402

What's the story behind the "londonpaper"? Is it any good?
acc521 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #2137
mulattokid
BLAND

You know I actually believe that a lot of people, especially the more more penny pinching right wing ES readers have voted with their feet over finance. They have thought "Oh sod it - why spend money for something when really all I want to look at is the TV listings" There is little sense of loyalty at this end of society - You are applauded and a member of the club when you do well and make money, but when you are going under....do it quietly please and shut the coffin door behind you.

(Mark Joseph 2008)
Old January 25th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #2138
pricemazda
King of Wishful Thinking

Likes (Received): 916

I have kept the copy of that londonpaper... I loved it. And it is right the Evening Standard didn't offer London what it wanted. It offered Home Counties Commuters stories and the Right Wing ideologues... suddenly realised people didn't like reading it anymore.

The London Paper was smart it 'got' the new London market and innovated with prominent gay and lesbian columnists talking about their lives and relationships, green issues and it was a paper that wasn't just a rip off of last nights Evening Standard or todays' Daily Mail.
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #2139
Octoman
Just Relax

Likes (Received): 2318

The new owner is going to give 3 years effort to turn it around. Otherwise he will close it. (according to The Times this morning).

@ PM I dont think filling the paper with Lesbian stories is what it needs (well not the sort you are talking about anyway). It just needs balanced well written reporing.
Octoman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #2140
mulattokid
BLAND

^ Hmmm, I think the point is predjuduce is born of ignorance and as we have seen recently, ignorance is most prevelant at the top of society, where the education is supposed to be at its best. You must use any means possible however benign it appears to help people realsie that we are all humans. It doesnt cost anything and helps the world go round The ES is not good at that. According to them I am part of a second generation, Creole speaking, knife wealding, gun slinging, street youth...purely by association and lack of any other representation....eh? Maybe I am then

(Mark Joseph 2008)