daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:41 AM   #421
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caca View Post
I absolutely agree with you. Money comes second.
They build all of these for prestige, fame. To create this image, everything must be superlative.

Anyway, psychology teaches us that people with inferiority complex loves to do this thing. I wish this is not the case with Dubai.

Cheers!
Actually it`s marketing. They attract more investors with such projects. That way Dubai makes more money. Some fillers with a high profit margin will be build around the important towers.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:57 AM   #422
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Good idea.

I think I got the zoom level very close, and the length of the line pretty close too...looks like it will form a triangle with each side on the order of 200 meters.

Edit: Responding to Malec.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:45 AM   #423
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
If we don't ever explore our limits of imagination and or power, then there is no progress in, "trying". Yes, even if it ridiculous.

This might sound all weird and stuff but imagine if an Alien Species came here and we never built anything too our limits, how would they see us? I think we wouldn't be worth their time for not making progress.

Also since these buildings are intended to stand for a long time, it is inevitable that they will be filled at some point. There are exceptions too this obviously. But let's face it, if no one ever took risks or leaps, say goodbye to well over 80% of medical advances.

I can actually make an entire article on why Dubai should keep doing what it's doing. But too stay on topic...

I really love the Sky Bridges, I would really love to live in a unit up there and have a glass floor too look down from. I'm sure even modest sized buildings would look like ants from up there.
so you think if aliens came here, they would be most impressed with a few weird towers in the desert? i can understand WHY dubai wants to do this, but really it makes no sense. almost every picture i see of dubai, there's no people. when/if this is built, much like the rest of the super projects in dubai... the lights will be on but it will sit empty for the most part.

and no i'm not trying to make the dubai fanboys angry, im trying to understand why they see wasteful spending and lavishment a good thing
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:20 AM   #424
Dark Matter
I'm Everywhere

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
so you think if aliens came here, they would be most impressed with a few weird towers in the desert?
Actually yes.

Because I'm sure if they had the technology to get here, it's only logical that they probably started off the same way we did. Ambition.

Plus some of these buildings are, "Dreams".

Also most buildings in Dubai are built and funded by the contractors. Dubai is merely just letting architects and contractors have a playground to have fun in. Though obviously it means more than that and it serves an actual purpose.

I've said this to others, If you had a country and knew that your main income was going to go away, what would you do? Wait for help? OR do something? Dubai is trying to get tourism and business. With all the free trade zones there as well, it brings something to the area that I think the whole world should have. Diversity. With it people learn why some people do certain things in a culture they are not familiar with. Sometimes they might even like it.

In short, Dubai is doing what's best for Humanity as a whole. Granted there are issues with their workers pay, their strict laws, etc but those can be easily fixed. But hope? I'm not religious but I do, "hope" the world can be at peace. Obviously it is unlikely that will ever be fulfilled, but there is still hope.

Skyscrapers do mean something. Sure they represent power, wealth, etc. But we humans like looking up too things, physically and metaphorically.

... I know a building can be poetic, especially if it inspires people.

If you can draw inspiration from somewhere else like myself, great. But I will accept that some people have a harder time than others (most).

Damn, I gotta stop. lol

I told you I can write an entire article.

Too stay directly on topic, what type of work are they doing in the area at the moment? Sorry if someone said something about it already, must of missed it.

Last edited by Dark Matter; October 23rd, 2008 at 11:04 AM.
Dark Matter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM   #425
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4198

^totally agree.

Look, we are impressed when some monkeys use tools and show complex social behavior or termites construct 4m mud domes. So aliens will also appreciate our constructions. Perhaps their skyscrapers are all bland boxes and they admire our creativity.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:03 AM   #426
Dark Matter
I'm Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
^totally agree.

Look, we are impressed when some monkeys use tools and show complex social behavior or termites construct 4m mud domes. So aliens will also appreciate our constructions. Perhaps their skyscrapers are all bland boxes and they admire our creativity.
Thanks for filling a gap I missed. lol

There are many examples in which we are surprised by nature that can be explained scientifically.

Matter of fact I recently just watched a video of a monkey riding a Segway and was awe struck. lol

Last edited by Dark Matter; October 23rd, 2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:18 AM   #427
Banjaluchanin
Say no to the Narco state

Likes (Received): 4

Amazing design for amazing dimensions, really one of a kind!
Banjaluchanin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:43 PM   #428
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
^totally agree.

a building of any respectable height is impressive, even more so the higher you go. once you learn how and why the building was built (in dubai's case... extremely poor labor conditions and exuberant fantasies of a rich prince) it becomes less and less impressive. when the building sits empty and everything around it stands still, it becomes less and less impressive.

aliens would stop over dubai for a short while and then get bored with a couple tall, lifeless buildings plopped in the desert.
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:12 PM   #429
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Yes, yes we get it NYC rules ... now take a hike.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:37 PM   #430
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3392

Quote:
a building of any respectable height is impressive, even more so the higher you go. once you learn how and why the building was built (in dubai's case... extremely poor labor conditions and exuberant fantasies of a rich prince) it becomes less and less impressive. when the building sits empty and everything around it stands still, it becomes less and less impressive.

aliens would stop over dubai for a short while and then get bored with a couple tall, lifeless buildings plopped in the desert.
Too bad that Dubai doesn`t take 700billion dollar of tax money and give them to bankers so they can stay in their expensive skyscrapers.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #431
harm123

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
Large masterplan, you can probably estimate the width of the tower complex from this.

Hi Malec!

I'm just curious here, where on earth did you get that detailed map from?? (from the Jumeira gardens plan) Is it official from SOM?????

i'm stunned!!!!
harm123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #432
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

where did u get that there from SOM
Old October 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #433
suki2011

Why is it that
suki2011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #434
suki2011

Quote:

Why is it that whenever a country tries to better itself or provide for its people you have envies people saying negative thing and discouraging remarks. Why can’t you just be happy that other countries are prosperous. At least Dubai doesn’t tax the poor and give it to the rich or wall street bankers.
suki2011 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #435
Senju
minami.senju on STEAM

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:

Hmmmm......that is like saying we should never ride trains in the USA since I believe the Chinese and blacks were used as slaves to build the railroad system. But maybe you forgot about that.

Anyway, you should not really pick on the construction workers in Dubai. There are a lot more worse working conditions and abuse "ELSEWHERE" in the world. You really should not post comments like that here since most of us are not interested. If you do have concerns, you can contact the "Humans rights groups".
Senju no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #436
Arch
Charley says

Likes (Received): 14

Don't like the cables, too messy
Arch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #437
TEHR_IR
Golfo_Persico

Likes (Received): 157

just amazing :o

IRAN AVIATION THREAD

IRAN/PERSIA PICTURES

TEHR_IR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 03:52 AM   #438
Senju
minami.senju on STEAM

Likes (Received): 6

What Cables?
Senju no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #439
LoverOfDubai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senju View Post
What Cables?
These:

You can see them if you look closely:
LoverOfDubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #440
Dark Matter
I'm Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senju View Post
What Cables?
On the 4 Sky bridges.

I actually like them. Plus, they are needed if you want a housed sky bridge.

Tags
dubai