daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Cityscapes and Skyline Photos.

Cityscapes and Skyline Photos. Found urban images from all around the world not taken by you.

Old May 26th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #81
madridhere

Likes (Received): 101

Thanks Sergio, they are great.
La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea canīt be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut ętre absolument moderne (Rimbaud)
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 28th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #82
Peshu

Likes (Received): 0

Do you guys have any photos of Las Ventas bullring ? That building should be promoted alot more . It is very , very unique and incredibly beautiful .
Peshu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #83
melbstud

I found Madrid to be boring when I was there. The pics are nice but it just didnt havew the vibe of Barcelona.
melbstud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #84
M_K_O

Likes (Received): 26

Simply INCREDIBLE

Fantastic!!
M_K_O no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #85
madridhere

Likes (Received): 101

Palacio Real by Mauro:

Picture by Jetair:

Pictures by mdet04:

Mauro:

Theycanflow pictures the four towers:

Azca taken from google:

The four towers by Madcity:

Mdet04:

La libertad, Sancho, es uno de los más preciosos dones que a los hombres dieron los cielos; con ella no pueden igualarse los tesoros que encierran la tierra y el mar: por la libertad, así como por la honra, se puede y debe aventurar la vida.
Freedom, Sancho, is one of the most precious gifts that Heaven gave to men; with it the treasures of the earth and the sea canīt be compared; for freedom, and for honour, one can and one should give his life(Cervantes in "Don Quixote")

Il faut ętre absolument moderne (Rimbaud)
madridhere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:30 AM   #86
schreck

Hombre, las foto son maravillosas, llevo demasiado tiempo fuera de Madrid y me muero de ganas de regresar. El día 30 de junio: te espero.

Love that city.
schreck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #87
Peshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbstud View Post
I found Madrid to be boring when I was there. The pics are nice but it just didnt havew the vibe of Barcelona.

I think a big problem many Aussies have is they go during the middle of summer when alot of the city shuts down unlike all the seaside cities . It's a pity as i can assure you that Barcelona is incredibly boring compared to Madrid . In fact Madrid must be the most dynamic city in Europe by far . No other city is comparable .

It's like some one checking out Melbourne in Bayswater and then checking out Circular Quay in Sydney . Ofcourse you would come back thinking Melbourne is such a whole compared to Sydney .

I live in Hawthorn mate and i know Madrid really well and i can assure you that you did not see the real Madrid . In fact alot of the Spaniards that i meet here miss Madrids vitality so badly. as i can assure you mate . Melbourne is an absolute cemetary compared to Madrid . Don't get me wrong . I absolutely adore Melbourne . But when it comes to the dynamism or the nightlife . I just miss Madrid like you wouldn't believe .

Melbourne is getting so much better . But it hasn't even got 10 % of Madrids dynamism .
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #88
Looks

haya Madrid
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #89
serfin

Likes (Received): 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbstud View Post
Madrid boring!!!??? i think that european people we know madrid because it is one of the most vibe and dynamic city in Europe.
serfin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #90
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 45

Madrid is a city that never sleeps...Plus itīs renovation in modern architecture and infraestructures is brilliant, no doubt...I donīt understand that comment...You can find other faults in Madrid but nor precisely that...Maybe noice, traffic, I donīt know, but not that fault...
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:35 AM   #91
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Likes (Received): 3466

Madrid is another big attraction in europe..
good job guys. you struck me dumb..
gorgeous, artistic city.. shouldn't be missed !!
Mussoda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:37 AM   #92
frozen

Location: [X] Amsterdam, NL-[ ]Pune, India-[ ]Santander, Spain
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVICUENCA View Post
Madrid is a city that never sleeps...Plus itīs renovation in modern architecture and infraestructures is brilliant, no doubt...I donīt understand that comment...You can find other faults in Madrid but nor precisely that...Maybe noice, traffic, I donīt know, but not that fault...
you can call it simply envy

Düsseldorf/Köln/Cologne/Colonia/Madrid/Santander/Liérganes/Pau & Toulouse/Andorra/Barcelona!/Lleida
BILBAO Winchester (U.K.)
frozen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 04:32 AM   #93
Peshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
you can call it simply envy

Envy with what ? Check out Melbourne one day and you will see there is nothing to be envious of . I too have met alot of Australians that didn't like anything about Madrid . Let's not start with any arguements as i've said time and again that i know it to be Spains number one city without any doubt . But that is just me .

One of the big problems here in Australia is that when alot of tourists go to Spain many already tend to have this prejudice against Madrid . They seem to have this idea that it's a kind of Washington . Capital of a nation but not much else . There are ofcourse more and more people that are liking Madrid for what it really is . Europes most dynamic city and one of it's most beautiful .

The fact is that Barcelona is still seen by many foreigners as Spains greatest city . I believe this is changing little by little . With all that's going on construction wise in Madrid . And the fact that lately the city has been shown in some Hollywood films such as Bourne ultimatum , Deception and Goal 2 living the dream .

Most tourist publications will first print an edition on Barcelona . And sooner or later if at all print one on Madrid . As an example take the residents guide which is published in Dubai . There is already a guide out on Barcelona . When i contacted the publisher as to why there wasn't one on Madrid they simply replied that for the moment they were only publishing guides on certain countries greatest city and that little by little they would publish guides on lesser cities such as Madrid . I tried explining that Madrid IIIIIIIS Spains greatest city to which i got a silent response .

For some reason alot of English publishers really make a point about Madrid being geographically badly situated in an ugly meseta . It has no sea . Not enough history for a European capital . It is horribly planned and has some of the ugliest coomie blocks imaginable .

So it is little wonder that people are amazed when beautiful pictures of central Madrid are posted on these sorts of threads . Like i've said . Things are changing little by little . Weather the average Joe blow will ever recognize Madrid as Spains greatest city is questionable . I hope it does happen one day . Weather it happens in our lifetime remains to be seen .

And don't believe for one second that this is the mentality only with backpackers . I have worked for Lawyers , Doctors , Politicians etc.... that have also had this prejudice .

Also one of the major problems with Madrid is that the majority of tourists from English speaking countries visit Europe in the months of July and August . When seaside cities are at their liveliest and Madrid is at its sleepiest with unbearably high temperatures of heat . So they tend to get a very , very wrong picture of Madrid and its lifestyle .

But perhaps the biggest reason is that the citizens of Madrid haven't got a frigging clue on how to sell their city . While Madrilenios are out and about walking around like they are king dicks and are convinced that the rest of the world loves them the Catalanes are out and about promoting their city . Which unlike Madrid is truly one of the most admired in the world .

I've said it constantly . Madrid is my fav city in the whole of Europe . And i am confident that with the enormous projects that are happening in the city will attract more and more admiration for this great city . Let's hope so anyway .

And all of you guys should be greatfull to Real Madrid . It is by far the cities greatest promoter in the world .

But do not believe for one second that people are envious when they talk negatively about Madrid . They are just giving their opinion weather right or wrong when they already have alot of prejudice in their heads from alot of English speaking publishers that write alot of nonsense about the city .

At the end of the day it is up to Madrilenios to change peoples views . I recently asked about posting some pictures of beautiful Madrilenio Neo-Mudejar architecture such as the beautiful Las Ventas bullring . As i know for a fact that tourists that have seen this type of architecture fall in love with it . Perhaps because it is so different to anything else they have ever seen . But no . And this is the type of building that could be promoted to the world concerning Madrid the way la Sagrada familia is connected with Barcelona

Maybe it would just be best if you guys employed foreigners to promote your citu as through out history you guys have shownto be pretty worthless in this respect
Old June 2nd, 2008, 12:23 PM   #94
JAVICUENCA

Likes (Received): 45

Itīs not a nice thing to compare, but things are changing very quickly in Madrid in these years.

The things published about Madrid are positive in general. For example, there is this article in the Timesonline published on May 10th:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3904728.ece

May 10, 2008

Madrid eclipses Barcelona in city rivalry

Here they say the following thing:

"What a decade ago seemed an old-fashioned city of bureaucrats is today one of Spain's fastest-growing regions, a bustling and self-confident place with an increasingly large influence. In a recent debate in the newspaper El Público on the rivalry, Mario Gavilla, an expert on urban development, said that Madrid had overtaken Barcelona in virtually every field. Madrid is the more dynamic industrially, academically and scientifically, he said, adding triumphantly: “Madrid is or will be the third city in Europe.”

The article is quite right in the following thing: Madrid has been sleeping during the 90īs. There were wonderful things as the museums, but still many things were to be done. Barcelona, since the Olimpic Games in 92, had wakened.

Now Madrid is very strong in infraestructures, architecture, economy, art, leisure, night life, etc. Itīs true that itīs one of the most dynamic cities of Europe.

The next challenges of Madrid are: making a park of 6 kms along river Manzanares, where there used to be a highway. Changing Paseo del Prado according to Siza project. Extending the tube net.

The good thing is that Madrid has become a lot better, but itīs becoming a lot more better in the next years.

Of course itīs important to promote all these things. But I think that the new promotions of the council are quite good: Tourism is incresing 10% in Madrid each year. That is an excellent rate taking into account that tourists here donīt come to the beach, like in the majority of Spain.

Madridīs region received 9.300.000 tourists last year 2007. I think that Catalonia received around 15.000.000 and Andalucia and Canarias also more than Madridīs region (all of them with wonderful beaches, the main attraction of Spain). But the council of Madrid is the one that received more tourists in the whole Spain, including Barcelona. American tourists increised 22% and Japanese tourists 45%. Madrid is the place of Spain where tourists spend more, 156 euros/day, while the media in Spain is 94 euros/day.

As a conclusion I would day that the last 4-5 years in Madrid things have improved a lot and that now weīre starting to receive the harvest. Maybe some media donīt know it yet, but theyīll know sooner of later. Of course more promotion is good and needed, as always. As a whole tourists here are quite wealthy, but that I think that with the low cost companies that is changing dramatically and anyone with 300 euros can come here to spend a wonderful weekend perfectly.

As to Madrid-Barcelona rivalry I thing that both cities are in a strong position now. Times is not the Bible, or any other publication either. The Times article is only an opinion.

Last edited by JAVICUENCA; June 2nd, 2008 at 12:37 PM.
JAVICUENCA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 06:02 PM   #95
frozen

Location: [X] Amsterdam, NL-[ ]Pune, India-[ ]Santander, Spain
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peshu View Post
Envy with what ? Check out Melbourne one day and you will see there is nothing to be envious of . I too have met alot of Australians that didn't like anything about Madrid . Let's not start with any arguements as i've said time and again that i know it to be Spains number one city without any doubt . But that is just me .
You can call Madrid whatever you want: ugly, crowdy,etc..., but BORING????.... Because Madrid simply don't sleep. You have always to do, it doesn't care the time. It hasn't the natural enviroment as Sydney or Melbourne, but it doesn't make it boring

Düsseldorf/Köln/Cologne/Colonia/Madrid/Santander/Liérganes/Pau & Toulouse/Andorra/Barcelona!/Lleida
BILBAO Winchester (U.K.)
frozen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 06:13 PM   #96
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 35158

Madrid is boring? I dont think so
BTW incredible pics nice work. Keep posting them
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:23 AM   #97
serfin

Likes (Received): 152

yes, when i talked about Madrid with my foreigns friends in Canada and USA they think that Madrid is a capital like Washington, the Administration's capital of Spain, when really Madrid (it's my personal opinion) have got the best museums and nightlife of Spain, vibe and dynamic, full of artists and art, architecture and awesome avenues and buildings, and i have not forgotten that Madrid was once of history the "world's setting" as Calderón de la Barca said, Madrid was the capital of one of the greatest empire in 17th century.

Last edited by serfin; June 3rd, 2008 at 09:29 AM.
serfin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #98
Peshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
You can call Madrid whatever you want: ugly, crowdy,etc..., but BORING????.... Because Madrid simply don't sleep. You have always to do, it doesn't care the time. It hasn't the natural enviroment as Sydney or Melbourne, but it doesn't make it boring

For me Madrid is the most exciting city in Europe . And a hell of alot more exciting than Melbourne or Sydney .Certainly when it comes to museums , beautiful old historic buildings , culture and especially nightlife . It's like comparing Real Madrid to L.A Galaxy . But the truth is that the city really shuts down for afew weeks in August . Which is when many foreign tourists visit Europe .

Just about everyone i have met that went to Madrid in August found it uncomfortable and sleepy . People i have met that have gone any other month absolutely loved it . They saw the real Madrid . Europes most vibrant city .

All i'm saying is that maybe the tourist board should make a point that if you want to see how great Madrid is then you will not get the real picture if you come in August . This is probably not a viable strategy as the city may well lose many tourists But don't slag off a person for believing Madrid to be sleepy . They aren't trying to be nasty . They are probably one of many tourists that got the wrong impression of this great European capital because they came during the month where alot of the city shuts down . Hence going back home with the wrong impression .
Old June 7th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #99
Peshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVICUENCA View Post
Itīs not a nice thing to compare, but things are changing very quickly in Madrid in these years.

The things published about Madrid are positive in general. For example, there is this article in the Timesonline published on May 10th:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3904728.ece

May 10, 2008

Madrid eclipses Barcelona in city rivalry

Here they say the following thing:

"What a decade ago seemed an old-fashioned city of bureaucrats is today one of Spain's fastest-growing regions, a bustling and self-confident place with an increasingly large influence. In a recent debate in the newspaper El Público on the rivalry, Mario Gavilla, an expert on urban development, said that Madrid had overtaken Barcelona in virtually every field. Madrid is the more dynamic industrially, academically and scientifically, he said, adding triumphantly: “Madrid is or will be the third city in Europe.”

The article is quite right in the following thing: Madrid has been sleeping during the 90īs. There were wonderful things as the museums, but still many things were to be done. Barcelona, since the Olimpic Games in 92, had wakened.

Now Madrid is very strong in infraestructures, architecture, economy, art, leisure, night life, etc. Itīs true that itīs one of the most dynamic cities of Europe.

The next challenges of Madrid are: making a park of 6 kms along river Manzanares, where there used to be a highway. Changing Paseo del Prado according to Siza project. Extending the tube net.

The good thing is that Madrid has become a lot better, but itīs becoming a lot more better in the next years.

Of course itīs important to promote all these things. But I think that the new promotions of the council are quite good: Tourism is incresing 10% in Madrid each year. That is an excellent rate taking into account that tourists here donīt come to the beach, like in the majority of Spain.

Madridīs region received 9.300.000 tourists last year 2007. I think that Catalonia received around 15.000.000 and Andalucia and Canarias also more than Madridīs region (all of them with wonderful beaches, the main attraction of Spain). But the council of Madrid is the one that received more tourists in the whole Spain, including Barcelona. American tourists increised 22% and Japanese tourists 45%. Madrid is the place of Spain where tourists spend more, 156 euros/day, while the media in Spain is 94 euros/day.

As a conclusion I would day that the last 4-5 years in Madrid things have improved a lot and that now weīre starting to receive the harvest. Maybe some media donīt know it yet, but theyīll know sooner of later. Of course more promotion is good and needed, as always. As a whole tourists here are quite wealthy, but that I think that with the low cost companies that is changing dramatically and anyone with 300 euros can come here to spend a wonderful weekend perfectly.

As to Madrid-Barcelona rivalry I thing that both cities are in a strong position now. Times is not the Bible, or any other publication either. The Times article is only an opinion.

No doubt about it . Many articles such as this one is changing peoples perceptions of Madrid . Real Madrids popularity worldwide and the many Hollywood blockbusters the city is appearing in is also doing alot . Hopefully it won't be too lomg before the average man on the street understands it is Spains greatest city and stands shoulder to shoulder with the other great capitals of the world .

It would be awesome if Madrid got the olympics for 2016 but geez it is going to be a real battle with London hosting it for Europe in 2012 and Tokyo also in the race for 2016 . I certainly hope it goes thru for Madrid but it is going to be mighty hard .
Old June 7th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #100
Peshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfin View Post
yes, when i talked about Madrid with my foreigns friends in Canada and USA they think that Madrid is a capital like Washington, the Administration's capital of Spain, when really Madrid (it's my personal opinion) have got the best museums and nightlife of Spain, vibe and dynamic, full of artists and art, architecture and awesome avenues and buildings, and i have not forgotten that Madrid was once of history the "world's setting" as Calderón de la Barca said, Madrid was the capital of one of the greatest empire in 17th century.

Those ignorant Americans . At the end of the day A New Yorker still doesn't even know what is happening in the west coast of the U.S A . My fellow Canadians aren't much better . Again i think it is definately changing little by little . With all the great projects that are going on in Madrid at the moment the city is getting more exposure than ever .

Tags
madrid, spain in the world