daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old October 7th, 2008, 01:33 AM   #141
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Possible supertall in burj dubai downtown. Only a placeholder now but these place holders for emaar often turn out to be real projects.

There's also this tower which I didn't add to the list since I wasn't sure if it would reach 300m or not.

You can see them both here. The one on the right (1st one) is clearly over 300m if you compare with The Address which is 306m.

Edit: There are a few extra towers in the meraas model that look over 300m but I won't include them because unlike emaar's placeholders which are usually real projects or at least fairly close we don't know what will actually go there. They may just be there for show.

Last edited by malec; October 7th, 2008 at 01:41 AM.
malec no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:08 AM   #142
emigrant
Z-WZG

Likes (Received): 2

OMG!!! PRZE HUJE THE FUTURE IS NOW!!!
Old October 7th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #143
docc

Likes (Received): 2

Wow Malec, excellent work here!

I'm surprised i never came across this thread before. Absolutely brilliant!
docc no está en línea  
Old October 7th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #144
Edwin_kok86

Likes (Received): 0

much apreciation for the work Malec. Was always looking for a list like this. Thanks
Old October 9th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #145
patchay

Likes (Received): 1521

Courtesy to malec's list at http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...42&postcount=2

-
Presenting a summary of Supertalls >500m coming soon to Dubai shores (excluding Burj Dubai)...

Hoped these buildings will accompany Burj Dubai in the near future.

-

(in future i might compile the rest of supertalls >300m)

PATCHAY | Website | Facebook | Flickr | Twitter | Instagram | Foursquare
patchay no está en línea  
Old October 9th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #146
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Some proposed projects:

This one is amazing, apparantly Leed Platinum too.

[IMG]http://i36.************/16byd0j.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i38.************/21l0rqe.jpg[/IMG]

Also this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
Commitment to innovative and sustainable urban planning drives Meeras to appoint leading firm in “green” design

Japan’s Nikken Sekkei, an architectural firm known for its consideration of the environmental consequences of its buildings, has been chosen to help design the new Jumeirah Gardens project in Dubai.

The project located across an area north of Sheikh Zayed Road between Diyafa Street and Safa Park is the first master-planned community venture for the Dubai based real estate development company Meraas. Conceived as an integrated city within a city, with distinct neighbourhoods linked by a diverse network of transportation options, it will offer a mix of freehold and leasehold properties.

Nikken Sekkei’s design forms an integral part of the Jumeirah Gardens development, as a new sustainable green oasis in Dubai. The city includes tranquil residential districts, areas dedicated to small offices for entrepreneurs as well as office towers and hotels. Natural breeze corridors will be created by the curvature design of the buildings which once combined with greenery and landscaping ensures a pleasant living environment.

The project will feature at least eight landmark buildings including “Park Gate” and its six paired towers and “1 Dubai”, a mega-structure consisting of three linked towers of staggered heights, with mosaic-like glass and aluminium-mesh cladding set to be one of the tallest and largest buildings in the world.

Jumeirah Gardens will be home to one of the region’s first microclimates. Arched canopies in the Park Gate development will link each set of two towers in the development, creating open-air, but shaded inner atriums. At varying levels on the towers, landscaped gardens and sky gardens, with indigenous saline-tolerant plants will provide natural cooling through evapotranspiration and shading, resulting in a microclimate more than 10 degree centigrade cooler than the outside.

Construction has already begun. The first buildings within Phase 1 are expected to be handed over in the fourth quarter of 2011. Final completion of Phase 1 is set for the fourth quarter of 2013. The entire scheme will be developed over 12 years and on a budget of Dh350 billion.

I'm also going to add this as a possible supertall in burj dubai downtown.

Also I'm going to change One Park Avenue (in DIFC) to 350m and 90 floors according to this:

[IMG]http://i37.************/1zzhsfa.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i38.************/281cxdu.jpg[/IMG]
malec no está en línea  
Old October 11th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #147
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 14097

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #148
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

VERY IMPRESSIVE
Malec

ZIGGURAT: Dubai Carbon Neutral Pyramid will House 1 Million people!

The Mayans and Egyptians constructed incredible feats of architecture able to weather the test of time, but they had no idea their pyramids would inspire the shape of the latest carbon-neutral super-structure to hit Dubai. Dubai-based environmental design firm Timelinks recently released some eye-catching renderings of the gigantic eco pyramid - aptly named Ziggurat - with plans for its official unveiling scheduled for the Cityscape Dubai event which runs October 6-9 of this year. The ginormous pyramid will cover 2.3 square kilometers and will be able to sustain a “community” of up to 1 million.

Timelinks claims that their Ziggurat will be capable of running completely off the grid by utilizing steam, wind, and other natural resources. The tightly knit city will also feature a super efficient public transportation system that runs both horizontally and vertically, and plans are being drawn up to utilize both public and private green spaces for agricultural opportunities.
According to the International Institute for the Urban Environment, the technologies incorporated into the Ziggurat project will make it a viable metropolis, and Timlinks has responded by quickly patenting the design and technology developed for the project. A number of European professors will be on hand at CityScape Dubai to explain how the Ziggurat project can be incorporated into grander plans, meaning that it may not be a one-off structure.

Source: World Architecture News
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #149
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Dubai's latest offering is a carbon-neutral 'pyramid' city

“Ziggurat” is the name of the temple towers of the ancient Mesopotamian valley with the characteristic form of a terraced pyramid with successively receding stories. Now the name is about to enter a new phase. Timelinks, a Dubai-based pioneering environmental design company, has chosen it to describe a sustainable city of the future.

The city, in the shape of a futuristic pyramid, will be exhibited at Cityscape Dubai and according to Timelinks, could support an entire community of up to one million people by harnessing the power of nature.

Ridas Matonis, Managing Director of Timelinks, said: “Ziggurat communities can be almost totally self-sufficient energy-wise. Apart from using steam power in the building we will also employ wind turbine technology to harness natural energy resources.”

Timelinks stress that the project is not just about reducing the carbon footprint. The 2.3 sq km pyramid has many other benefits. They propose that whole cities can be accommodated in complexes which take up less than 10% of the original land surface. Public and private landscaping will be used for leisure pursuits or irrigated as agricultural land.

The concept will also aim at a better quality of life for the inhabitants. Transport throughout the complex would be connected by an integrated 360 degree network (horizontally and vertically) so cars would be redundant. Biometrics would provide security with facial recognition technology.

Martijn Kramer, managing director of The International Institute for the Urban Environment told WAN: “As a general reaction the Ziggurat Project is viable from a technical point of view. However reflecting from a more sustainable holistic approach we do wonder if the food supply and waste system are taken care for, as the concept seems rather based upon carbon neutrality and energy saving.” Kramer’s initial reaction to “Ziggurat” also raises a very important issue: are people willing to live in a mega building of 2.3 sq km? Will the thought of living in a machine comfort people?

Timelinks has already patented the design and technology incorporated into the project and has applied to the European Union for a grant for technical projects. The intriguing mixed use concept will be unveiled at Cityscape Dubai which takes place at the Dubai International Exhibition Centre from 6-9 October 2008.

Laura Salmi
Reporter

other source: http://ecoworldly.com/2008/08/26/sol...ople-in-dubai/
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #150
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Just a vision and hopefully never built
malec no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #151
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7547

When you look at the projects of Dubai you feel like maybe in 2030
Why do they need skyscrapers of 800-1000 m??? But anyway, respect to those fantastic projects. Dubai is number 1 now
Old October 13th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #152
Whiteeclipse

Likes (Received): 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galandar View Post
When you look at the projects of Dubai you feel like maybe in 2030
Why do they need skyscrapers of 800-1000 m??? But anyway, respect to those fantastic projects. Dubai is number 1 now
They don't need them, they are trying to build a look at me image.

Anyways, still impressive.

Last edited by Whiteeclipse; October 13th, 2008 at 02:11 AM.
Whiteeclipse no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #153
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

The three big meraas towers just moved up a notch on my "odds of getting built" list. Getting a main contractor (Samsung) is a good thing.
malec no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #154
Don Omar
Bark twice if in Milwauke

Likes (Received): 36

Raw sewage threat to booming Dubai

Dubai boasts "a new city every day" but it has put great strain on infrastructure

By Julia Wheeler
BBC News, Dubai

Down on the beach next to the Dubai Offshore Sailing Club and the fishing harbour there's a stink: raw sewage is flowing into the sea close to prime tourist beaches. The putrid problem is caused by the illegal dumping of untreated sewage in Dubai's inland storm drain network, as the city's rapid growth outstrips its infrastructure.

At Dubai's only sewage treatment plant there are long queues and serious delays. Truck drivers who are paid by the lorry load to collect waste from the city's septic tanks wait for several hours to dispose of their foul cargo legally. There simply is not the capacity to deal with all the human waste the city dwellers produce.

After dark some drivers are taking a shortcut and dumping their loads straight into manholes meant only for rainwater. The result is raw sewage flowing directly into the once-clear blue sea of the Gulf - right next to prime swimming beaches. This is bad news for a city which depends on the tourists who flock to its shores.

'Within the standard'

The city's municipality has already closed one beach and says it is trying to catch the culprits. It has imposed fines of up to $25,000 and threatened to confiscate tankers if the dumping persists.

"The municipality has tracked and caught drivers - many over the last few days," said Mohammed Abdul Rahman Hassan, Head of the Marine and Environmental Protection Section at Dubai Municipality. The municipality maintains that its latest test results show samples of the water are "within the standard".

"Samples were taken from three locations - the harbour, near the outfall and on the beach," explains Mr Hassan. "It is safe according to our report - within the safe limit."

But independent tests arranged by the sailing club show the water to be highly contaminated with bacteria and the human faeces floating in the sea. "Our tests show the water is not safe," said Keith Mutch, General Manager at the Dubai Offshore Sailing Club. "We have had to cancel sailing lessons until further notice - until there is a clean bill of health."

So far there has been no contamination found near the city's five-star hotel strip but that is just a short distance along the beach and if the research done by the Sailing Club is anything to go by the pollution could get worse.

"I have been out in the middle of the night following these tanker drivers," said Mr Mutch. "We know what they are doing, and we know that they are doing it because there is a huge wait at the sewerage plant. This contamination is definitely happening elsewhere in the city."

Only one storm water outlet is currently open but when the first rain comes to Dubai this winter other parts of the system, including those near the smart hotels will also need to be used. No-one yet knows exactly what those pipes might contain but everyone is hoping that something can be done before there is a need to find out.

Raw sewage flows directly into the sea near Dubai's exclusive yacht club

Beaches by the strip of five-star hotels have not been affected, yet
Black, White, New York you make it happen

- Beastie Boys
Don Omar no está en línea  
Old October 14th, 2008, 07:44 AM   #155
niaz10

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
A general rundown is impossible to maintain for this city.

Check out this insane list

The definitions for the descriptions in the status:

Completed - Structure ready and no more work going on on the outside of the tower. This doesn't mean it's opened yet though, just structurally complete.
Topped Out - Full height reached including spire
Rising- Between being at ground level and full height
Ground Work - Anything happening before tower reaches ground level. This description is important because lots of towers stall for a while or take a really long time before rising.
Announced & Selling - We're pretty much sure the tower has the final design and construction should start within a year.
Announced - Design officially revealed but no selling of office space or apartments. The design shown most likely final design
Under Design - Tower is known about, including developer, and the design is in the final stages but not yet complete. Design may still change.
Concept- Towers which are probably real projects but not necessarily(I try to exclude insignificant ones or ones most likely to be fake). Design in early stages
On Hold - Tower started construction, then stopped.
Stale Proposal - A tower which didn't start construction and which there has been no news about it for a long time. Most likely a cancelled project.

[CENTER] The List

there are so nice impoirtant notice that can to to see me. this is absolutely right . thanks for your big post in this forum .i can learn much.
niaz10 no está en línea  
Old October 22nd, 2008, 11:11 PM   #156
LaGioiella
La Gioiella

Does anybody here know what the architect was thinking when he and/or she designed Madinat al-Hareer, or City of Silk? To me it looks like a phallic version of the Emerald City in the movie "The Wizard of Oz." I like it!
LaGioiella no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:10 AM   #157
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Wrong thread. That's a project in Kuwait not Dubai.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea  
Old October 24th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #158
LoverOfDubai

Does anyone here (especially the ones living in Dubai) have any opinion on this?

Shrinking desert poses threat to safaris
By Mahmood Saberi, Senior Reporter
23 October 2008, 23:55

Dubai: A desert safari is a 'must do' experience for tourists who visit Dubai, but tour operators say the desert is slowly 'shrinking' with the massive construction projects underway.

The operators say that it takes an hour's drive out of Dubai nowadays, away from the creeping civilisation, to give tourists a true feeling of the desert. "We try to take the tourists to a spot away from the vehicles and light pollution," says Mark Miller, general manager of Desert Rangers Tours and Activities.

He also said that with the growing number of operators, the number of vehicles in the desert is growing. "There should be some control," he adds. Desert Rangers takes visitors to Fossil Rock (Jebel Malaiha), near the village of Nazwa.

Other operators take tourists to Lehbab, another village, 50 kilometres south of Dubai which has a population of 4,000. It is located on the highway between Dubai and the Hatta border with Oman, where camps have been set up.

The number of tourists are expected to rise as Dubai becomes increasingly visible worldwide. According to the Dubai Tourism and Commerce Marketing, the number of tourists are expected to shoot up to 10 million in the next two years. The emirate's target for 2015 is even more impressive as it plans to attract 15 million tourists to its shores within the next seven years.

Ayman Khalil, who owns Desert Road Tours, says operators earlier took tourists to Al Khawaneej, a 20-minute drive after the airport. "But we had remove our camp as a road is being built there," he said. Developers have also moved into this area and plots are being sold for building labour accommodation. Developers have also warned that Dubai's 'land bank' is shrinking as the emirate plans massive entertainment projects for visitors in the desert.

A typical desert safari includes 'dune bashing" with a dune buggy, followed by camel rides at the camp, henna painting, smoking a shisha, open-air barbecue and a belly dance show. It costs about Dh255 per person. Khalil says his company alone takes about 200 tourists to the desert daily. There are 62 tour operators listed in the Dubai Official Pocket Guide. "We are trying to adapt to the diminishing desert," says Zaki Badawi of Gulf Dunes Tours. He said tourists love 'dune bashing', sand boarding and driving around quad bikes.

The operators say that 'dune bashing' does not harm the environment. "The wind continuously changes the landscape," says Khalil of Desert Road. He said the culprits are the weekend visitors who leave their garbage after their barbecues.

Miller agreed. "People will definitely talk about it [garbage] when they return home," he said and advised weekend visitors to the desert to take back their garbage. "We leave the desert as we find it. We respect the environment."
http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles.../10253917.html
LoverOfDubai no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #159
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57956

They've got fear the desert would 'shrink'?

Insane world.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2008, 04:22 PM   #160
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

New image

All the supertalls

malec no está en línea  

Closed Thread