daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Metropolitan Projects > Chennai



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 5.00 average.
Old June 7th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #1281
saysenthil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kalpakkam / Hamburg
Posts: 3,014
Likes (Received): 1500

Centre set to move on elevated link road

The Central government will soon submit a technical justification for the alignment of the Rs.1,815 crore Chennai Port-Maduravoyal elevated link road project to the Tamil Nadu government.

The project, being implemented by the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has been put on hold since April this year – nine months after work on the 30-km-long facility began.

The Water Resources Department (WRD) had objected to the project's alignment saying that it was on the Cooum river bed and not on the bank as proposed. The Department had also said that flow of water was being obstructed and demanded the project be stopped.

NHAI Chief General Manager (technical) I.G. Reddy announced this while addressing a conference on ‘Creating carbon neutral Chennai: Planning for integrated freight movement' organised here by the Madras Chamber of Commerce and Industry(MCCI) on Wednesday. He urged the MCCI to take up the issue with the State government since it would help decongest Poonamallee High Road and thereby reduce pollution.

“The State government is yet to reply to the technical justification submitted to it by the project director in Chennai in April which is why the Government of India is preparing a justification. The Tamil Nadu government had issued a G.O. only after a proper field inspection by a committee of experts was conducted. If it is not completed it would only be a loss to Chennai. Already Rs. 500 crore has been spent on it. The concessionaire will go for claims,” Mr. Reddy said.

Earlier, speaking during the inauguration of the conference, State Highways Secretary T.K. Ramachandran said that as part of the Vision 2023 exercise of the State government, freight corridors and linkages between them are being studied. He said that integration of various transportation modes was necessary.

“We are at a stage of development when integration is possible. For this we need to plan and form a framework,” he said.

V. Sumantran, Vice-Chairman, Ashok Leyland, said that there was an urgent need to put road systems and connectivity in place while adding that planning would be critical to this. “Planning for the next 20 and 50 years is needed. This must be done in collaboration with the citizenry, government and industry.” To improve freight logistics, leverage of IT was necessary.

S.N. Srikath, senior partner, Hauer Associates said that transportation emissions were responsible for 12.5 per cent of greenhouse gas emissions in India.

He said that was a need to shift freight transport to rail and water modes.
saysenthil no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old June 7th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #1282
ranga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,560
Likes (Received): 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by saysenthil View Post
Centre set to move on elevated link road

The Central government will soon submit a technical justification for the alignment of the Rs.1,815 crore Chennai Port-Maduravoyal elevated link road project to the Tamil Nadu government.

The project, being implemented by the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has been put on hold since April this year – nine months after work on the 30-km-long facility began.

The Water Resources Department (WRD) had objected to the project's alignment saying that it was on the Cooum river bed and not on the bank as proposed. The Department had also said that flow of water was being obstructed and demanded the project be stopped.

NHAI Chief General Manager (technical) I.G. Reddy announced this while addressing a conference on ‘Creating carbon neutral Chennai: Planning for integrated freight movement' organised here by the Madras Chamber of Commerce and Industry(MCCI) on Wednesday. He urged the MCCI to take up the issue with the State government since it would help decongest Poonamallee High Road and thereby reduce pollution.

“The State government is yet to reply to the technical justification submitted to it by the project director in Chennai in April which is why the Government of India is preparing a justification. The Tamil Nadu government had issued a G.O. only after a proper field inspection by a committee of experts was conducted. If it is not completed it would only be a loss to Chennai. Already Rs. 500 crore has been spent on it. The concessionaire will go for claims,” Mr. Reddy said.

Earlier, speaking during the inauguration of the conference, State Highways Secretary T.K. Ramachandran said that as part of the Vision 2023 exercise of the State government, freight corridors and linkages between them are being studied. He said that integration of various transportation modes was necessary.

“We are at a stage of development when integration is possible. For this we need to plan and form a framework,” he said.

V. Sumantran, Vice-Chairman, Ashok Leyland, said that there was an urgent need to put road systems and connectivity in place while adding that planning would be critical to this. “Planning for the next 20 and 50 years is needed. This must be done in collaboration with the citizenry, government and industry.” To improve freight logistics, leverage of IT was necessary.

S.N. Srikath, senior partner, Hauer Associates said that transportation emissions were responsible for 12.5 per cent of greenhouse gas emissions in India.

He said that was a need to shift freight transport to rail and water modes.
First New state Assembly building second library third elevated link road and may be next Chennai metro rail.Colossal waste of tax payers money.Sofar more than Rs2000 crores might have gone down the drain.excluding setusamudram incomplete mission.They say study undertaken for various projects concerning infrastructure.Always study no work will commence and 2023 will pass away.So much for Vision 2023 Blinkered vision
ranga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #1283
thillai_selvan
Registered User
 
thillai_selvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 600024
Posts: 5,179
Likes (Received): 531

Central Minister GK Vasan inspected the Chennai Port Express way works.

Source : http://tm.dinakaran.com/pdf/2012/06/..._005101021.jpg
thillai_selvan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #1284
madrasi7777
Registered User
 
madrasi7777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 939
Likes (Received): 138

With g k vasan at the helm we are not able to do anything for tamil nadu. Imagine the future without him. May be something will work better without him.
madrasi7777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 09:59 AM   #1285
saysenthil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kalpakkam / Hamburg
Posts: 3,014
Likes (Received): 1500

Fishermen refuse to make way for Ennore expressway

Quote:
Fishermen belonging to Nalla Thaneer Odai Kuppam, whose homes come in the way of Ennore expressway, which is being currently widened, are refusing to budge from their homes.

On Wednesday, a meeting convened by revenue officials remained inconclusive as the fishermen stuck to their stand and insisted that houses be built on highway poromboke land that will not be used for the expressway.

The Tamil Nadu Slum Clearance Board had proposed that the 447 families be relocated to tenements constructed on land belonging to All India Radio. The fishermen said that their livelihood would be affected if they moved to that location, which is over 5 km away.

“Fishermen usually have fishing rights near their villages. If we move from here, where will we fish? The government should consider giving us alternate space near the current location,” a resident of NTO Kuppam said.

So far, over 1,824 families living along the road have been relocated elsewhere. Only those in NTO Kuppam and 47 families in Cherian Nagar remain to be rehabilitated.
saysenthil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:51 PM   #1286
alphacentury100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
Likes (Received): 0

So, what is the current status of the maduravoyal elevated expressway? Has the works started again? When will it be complete?
alphacentury100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 12:56 PM   #1287
vinodgopal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,243
Likes (Received): 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphacentury100 View Post
So, what is the current status of the maduravoyal elevated expressway? Has the works started again? When will it be complete?
welcome to SSC alpha
vinodgopal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #1288
vijayvmail
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,201
Likes (Received): 121

Center backing down - Elevated expressway to progress again?

Quote:
Source: Dinamlar, chennai edition, dated 06-Aug-2012

Translation:

- The NHAI has written to state government stating that construction will be taken up without obstructing Cooum. If there are obstructions, we will deepen the river and help in clearing the water flow.

Rest of the article is a recap of the project and background of why it was stopped.
__________________
Vijayvmail
En sindhanai Alaigal - http://mythoughtwaves.blogspot.com
vijayvmail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #1289
satchitananda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,349
Likes (Received): 1135

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvmail View Post
- The NHAI has written to state government stating that construction will be taken up without obstructing Cooum. If there are obstructions, we will deepen the river and help in clearing the water flow.

Rest of the article is a recap of the project and background of why it was stopped.
The current culture is if there is any work done on a waterbody, the debris is by and large left blocking. Either the clause is perhaps vague or not enforced. When NHAI was introducing the pillars on the river, why should somone come and tell them to remove the debris or make sure the river flow should not be obstructed.

I do hope they raise the level of causeway to accomodate some small boats. (I am die hard optimistic, day dreaming about one day cooum being clean and able to have some pleasure boats)
satchitananda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #1290
vinodgopal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,243
Likes (Received): 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchitananda View Post

I do hope they raise the level of causeway to accomodate some small boats. (I am die hard optimistic, day dreaming about one day cooum being clean and able to have some pleasure boats)
dream on dream on dream on, dream on until the dream comes true...
vinodgopal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 05:19 AM   #1291
cofee
Registered User
 
cofee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 923
Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvmail View Post
Source: Dinamlar, chennai edition, dated 06-Aug-2012

Translation:

- The NHAI has written to state government stating that construction will be taken up without obstructing Cooum. If there are obstructions, we will deepen the river and help in clearing the water flow.

Rest of the article is a recap of the project and background of why it was stopped.
Letters are not going to help.

SOMA has to see AMMA with Suitcases or else, Port To Maduravoyal Express way will be the worlds most expensive poster wall (For political Party functions).

700 Corers gone down the drain of Coovam.

Just like 500 C Tamilnadu Parlimant that is rotting along with Anna Library.

Jaya's disregard for people and tax payers money is obvious.

I can not think of any state CM who would/has stoped a 1800cr road project (Funded by Centre) that is benaficial for their own state.

Jayalitha is getting away with murder and tamil people dont care.

What has Jaya done in the past 2 years except stopping projects?

Sabbakedu.

cofee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:29 AM   #1292
saurabh85
Registered User
 
saurabh85's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 723
Likes (Received): 140

I agree!! Its pretty obvious that after JJ came to power most of the Chennai threads here on SSC have dried up barring airport and Metro! Even the monorail project seems kinda dead! JJ seems to be more worried about the plight of tamils in Sri Lanka than in Tamil Nadu.
saurabh85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:51 AM   #1293
rajeev_drindira
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 35
Likes (Received): 0

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofee View Post
Letters are not going to help.

SOMA has to see AMMA with Suitcases or else, Port To Maduravoyal Express way will be the worlds most expensive poster wall (For political Party functions).

700 Corers gone down the drain of Coovam.

Just like 500 C Tamilnadu Parlimant that is rotting along with Anna Library.

Jaya's disregard for people and tax payers money is obvious.

I can not think of any state CM who would/has stoped a 1800cr road project (Funded by Centre) that is benaficial for their own state.

Jayalitha is getting away with murder and tamil people dont care.

What has Jaya done in the past 2 years except stopping projects?

Sabbakedu.

there are lots of pending cases in Madras HC about the irregularities in the project being allocated to SOMA when an experienced L&T quoted at a lower price..

the previous govt looted all money from companies for this stupid project and they thought that they can get land from public at low cost to continue the project..

if the project continues, the land acquisition cost itself will come close to 2000 crores...

its wise to save 2000 crores rather than crying abt the lost 700 crores..

when this project was started, all ppl with pakka buildings were asked to vacate without being provided with adequate compensation..no public consent was asked...

i am asking you, who asked the team to spend 700 crores without getting proper approvals and consent from public ????

you dont know none of the facts abt this project but know to cry that the project is stopped..
rajeev_drindira no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #1294
kannan infratech
Moderator
 
kannan infratech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chennai
Posts: 13,227
Likes (Received): 7006

Guys

I notice that some forumers esp new ones tend to discuss in these threads which are not allowed. Occasional ones are ok. But it is going non stop. We may have to delete them if you do not shift your discussions to TNAA or CD as the case may be.

Please discuss this Chennai issue only in Chennai Discussions thread.
__________________
You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him discover it in himself.
- Galileo Galilei
kannan infratech no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #1295
kannan infratech
Moderator
 
kannan infratech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chennai
Posts: 13,227
Likes (Received): 7006

Let this post be the last post of discussion in this thread. Please discuss the same in Chennai Discussions Thread hereafter.


I fully agree that the SG's actions have put up a stumbling block to this project.

But Why the CG is not able to fight it out with SG on this issue ?

The reasons are

The whole tender process was conducted in a dubious manner and cases are pending in the courts against the award.

Why NHAI is not paying Soma their dues ?

The alignment which was sanctioned was violated at many places even to the extent of shifting the columns to the middle of the river. As per CRZ II, no construction is allowed within 100 meters from HTL on both sides . Why it was changed ? To help whom ?

Why the promises made to the owners of the lands & pucca houses on the banks of the river were not fulfilled ? Why NHAI & CG are not answering this ?

Why GKV is refusing to meet the affected people or arranging a meeting with SG at the highest level to thrash out the issue ?

CG, NHAI &.... are equally to be blamed along with JJ.

Our own forumer Ramakrishnan suggested a much better alternative route at much lower cost. NHAI & CG knew fully well that Metro alignment is along the PH road and why they insisted on the same alignment first ? Then why they had to divert along Cooum river later ?

Many of you are commenting without knowing the real facts just by reading what is projected in the media.

P.S. I am not defending JJ's decision here. I want a speedy solution which is possible only if the NHAI climbs down and corrects the mistakes committed and CG / NHAI executes the promises made to the owners of the lands along the river.
__________________
You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him discover it in himself.
- Galileo Galilei

Last edited by kannan infratech; September 4th, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
kannan infratech no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #1296
udhaya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 824
Likes (Received): 389

more clarity on elevated expressway:-

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/16317991.cms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFXZV...eature=related

Last edited by udhaya; September 9th, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
udhaya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #1297
Arul Murugan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Salem-Chennai
Posts: 16,778
Likes (Received): 3088

NHAI acts like NHAI with respect to Chennai projects...

when it could build flyover in many NH's for important Jns... but on the busy NH-45 and NH 4 say Tambaram to Chengalpattu or Poonamallae to Kanchipuram.. simple flyovers were missing in many jn and it has lead to heavy choas on both the arterial entry road to the city. (Recently 4laned NH's have flyover for every small town!! I always wonder what made NHAI not to build such small flyovers at Perungallatur, Vandalur, Urapakkam, Guduvancherry, Maraimalainagar, Singaperumal kovil etc., like wise on NH4)

They didn't move fast for 6 laning of these roads.. even if that start in 2013 end, it will drag for 3-4 yrs for completion.

Chennai bypass expressway's exit and entry are 8th wonder of the world and the toll is not yet automated and they don't have any interest to expand the toll both!! But they are feeding the road shop petty shops on this expressway.

Ennore expressway is an never ending story!! and adding fuel to fire amaiyar and NHAI brought the port expressway to grinding halt.

NHAI and AAI are curse to Chennai.
__________________
Click on---->



அருள் முருகன்
தமிழ்நாடு/இந்தியா
Arul Murugan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:51 AM   #1298
karthikinspire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Likes (Received): 0

Was there any progress going on Elevated stretch?
karthikinspire no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 11:01 AM   #1299
ranga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,560
Likes (Received): 348


Project frozen.Now it will go thru long legal process for settlement of compensation to "SOMA" contractors for this project.SG will have to shell that amount.
ranga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #1300
karthikinspire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Likes (Received): 0

Thanks Ranga for the update.Its Very bad to hear that.
karthikinspire no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu