daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Favorite Skyline of Highrises?
Barcelona (Spain) 22 2.95%
Mardrid (Spain) 37 4.96%
Paris (France) 143 19.17%
London (England) 71 9.52%
Birmingham (England) 8 1.07%
Liverpool (England) 53 7.10%
Amsterdam (Netherlands) 15 2.01%
Wien (Austria) 3 0.40%
Frankfurt am Main (Germany) 241 32.31%
Essen (Germany) 2 0.27%
Cologne (Germany) 2 0.27%
Berlin (Germany) 8 1.07%
Warsaw (Poland) 141 18.90%
Voters: 746. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #81
Villiers Terrace
I caught a falling star

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogging Molly View Post
Our cityscape is improving rapidly! Still along way to go though.
Indeed so stop trying to compare it with Liverpool's internationally known and admired skyline you tedious, tedious piece of work.

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:43 PM   #82
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Is that the best you can do? I think its a more a case of not being able to find anything not that you cant be bothered as the one you did find you must have trawled sometime back.

Not only that but ...

Nah! Liverpool would win best present skylittlebit. but not best present skyLINE.

Think thats quite a fair statement. Its not a megolithic skyline its just got a nice little area with a bunch of tallish buildings which I think is the best little cluster outside London, however its not big or densified enough in my eyes to have the best present skyLINE.

Guess you'll just have to shoot me now for my treason.
Flogging Molly no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #83
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villiers Terrace View Post
Indeed so stop trying to compare it with Liverpool's internationally known and admired skyline you tedious piece of work.
Arr yes. Because skylines are judged by city scape! Birmingham has had to do a hefty lot of work to get to where it is now. Thats no secret. However, when it comes to skylines it's always been able to stand its ground against any provincial competitor as it still does today!

And, In truth. Birminghams streets are some of the most cosmpolitan and interesting within the UK. Some places are still truly terrible but they all have there charm.
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #84
Villiers Terrace
I caught a falling star

Quote:
Is that the best you can do? I think its a more a case of not being able to find anything not that you cant be bothered as the one you did find you must have trawled sometime back.

Not only that but ...

Nah! Liverpool would win best present skylittlebit. but not best present skyLINE.

Think thats quite a fair statement. Its not a megolithic skyline its just got a nice little area with a bunch of tallish buildings which I think is the best little cluster outside London, however its not big or densified enough in my eyes to have the best present skyLINE.

Guess you'll just have to shoot me now for my treason.

You voted Birmingham didn't you?

Well?
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #85
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Me? Here ...?

Frankfurt my friend. Everytime I dont feel the need as with all Brummies to big up something which quite clearly is'nt true! Birmingham has a good skyline, but its piss poor compared to many across Europe.
Old May 15th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #86
Villiers Terrace
I caught a falling star

Quote:
when it comes to skylines it's always been able to stand its ground against any provincial competitor as it still does today
*astonished*

You know, I've never heard this sentiment regarding the apparent national standing of Birmingham's hitherto dismissed "skyline" ever before.

And I know a lot of people. Some of them from Birmingham.

I'm starting to believe you might be slightly nuts.
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #87
AMS guy
hipp-E

Quote:
Ok- Warsaw: looks interesting from that specific angle at the edge of the grid in which all those towers are, however the only tower of any interest at all is the old Commie one- without which, it's basically Bury New Town.
The Palace of Culture and Science is not the only interesting tower in Warsaw.

Rondo 1

Warsaw Trade Tower

Blue Tower

An example of very good 70's architecture inspired by New York City scrapers.
Oxford Tower (Former Intraco II) and Marriott.

Hotel Intercontinental & Warsaw Financial Center

And the proud leading guy in his glory - Palace of Culture and Science.
AMS guy no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #88
yoshef
likes beer

Likes (Received): 1195

Quote:
Is that the best you can do?
No, but like i said, I can't be arsed with you. It's not a court. Besides, you're doing a good enough job of making my point for me. If you wan't to write page after page of drivel though, perhaps you may want to become a novelist. Somebody might read it then
yoshef no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #89
Villiers Terrace
I caught a falling star

Quote:
Me? Here ...?

Frankfurt my friend. Everytime I dont feel the need as with all Brummies to big up something which quite clearly is'nt true! Birmingham has a good skyline, but its piss poor compared to many across Europe.
No, no, no.

Just two people voted Birmingham and you're so very obviously one of them, hence the reason you're on here spouting this embarrassing and duplicitous nonsense.
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #90
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10789

Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham? Let's call a spade a spade. You are fighting over which crappy skyline is better than the other crappy skyline.

The biggest surprise has been Warsaw. I wouldn't have thought of Warsaw, but it's a worthy contender for any best list. Paris certainly seems destined to get many future votes.
isaidso está en línea ahora  
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #91
Villiers Terrace
I caught a falling star

Warsaw.

Ok AMS, my mistake, some of those other blocks are nice pieces of design.

I want to ask though, where is all this investment coming from? Is it mainly post-EU membership cash, or is there any money coming in from the East, or from Scandinavia?
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #92
Nout
AstroNout

Likes (Received): 1035

I miss the 4 new towers in Madrid on a picture. And some missing buildings in the Rotterdam (the rising Red Apple, Montevideo, ...) and The Hague skyline (Strijkijzerbuilding). Please more recent pica's. And don't forget Benidorm, its not that beautifull, but rather impressive.

Not able to vote, in case of missing options.
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #93
HD
같같같같같같

Likes (Received): 906

I'm missing pictures from our new EU neighbours in tallinn and vilnius - they have emerging skylines too. and what about bratislava? anyone?
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #94
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10789

Quote:

I want to ask though, where is all this investment coming from? Is it mainly post-EU membership cash, or is there any money coming in from the East, or from Scandinavia?
Good question. Quite a few factors seem to be at work in Warsaw's surprising skyline. Like Rotterdam, much of Warsaw was devastated during WW2 leaving large tracts of land in the city core available for development. It seems that stagnation behind the Iron Curtain has kept these tracts of land undeveloped for the most part.

Poland has had a number of years since communism to kickstart it's economy and prosper. It should be noted that Poland is not a small insignificant country. It's Europe's 6th most populous nation, and Warsaw is it's economic engine.

All of these things have conspired together and resulted in many of the modern large scale developments we see today in Warsaw. The Palace of Culture and Science is an amazing building which has given the Warsaw skyline a good base from which to lead off from.

Warsaw may be getting money from the EC, I don't know, but I imagine businesses are recognizing the potential size of this market and the development money is flowing there because of it.
isaidso está en línea ahora  
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #95
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Quote:
*astonished*

You know, I've never heard this sentiment regarding the apparent national standing of Birmingham's hitherto dismissed "skyline" ever before.

And I know a lot of people. Some of them from Birmingham.

I'm starting to believe you might be slightly nuts.
Are you saying Birminghams skyline within the UK is regarded as rubbish? I happen to think, as do many that Birminghams skyline is progressing nicely into a quite respectable one not only in Britain but now Europe.
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #96
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshef View Post
No, but like i said, I can't be arsed with you. It's not a court. Besides, you're doing a good enough job of making my point for me. If you wan't to write page after page of drivel though, perhaps you may want to become a novelist. Somebody might read it then
Ok? so basically what you are trying to say is that you have no argument against my decision to ridicule the obviously biased Liverpudlian contingent who feel the need to be oblivious to the quality of skylines Paris, Frankfurt and Warsaw have produced.

If thats the case. I feel extremely sorry that you cant see the truth, even if it does hurt.
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #97
AMS guy
hipp-E

Quote:

Most investment is coming from the companies in the EU countries (Germany, Austria, Belgium, The Netherlands, Sweden).
AMS guy no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #98
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Quote:
No, no, no.

Just two people voted Birmingham and you're so very obviously one of them, hence the reason you're on here spouting this embarrassing and duplicitous nonsense.
I challenge you to find any forum moderator or maybe even the thread starter to identify which city I voted for on an unbiased level. And what nonsense have I spoken? I've ridiculed the position of LIverpools placement in this thread, where its quite candidly obvious Liverpudlians have come on here to vote not for the best skyline, but for which skyline they wished was the best. Rather childish you not think? And because of this you got ass in hands! Im afraid it is you that needs a reflection time. I mean, you even dismissed Warsaws skyline
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #99
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham? Let's call a spade a spade. You are fighting over which crappy skyline is better than the other crappy skyline.

The biggest surprise has been Warsaw. I wouldn't have thought of Warsaw, but it's a worthy contender for any best list. Paris certainly seems destined to get many future votes.

Nobodys fighting over it but Yoshef and Villiers. Its quite obvious on a european scale all three of them suck which has been written numerous times in my posts. What I am arguing is the situation of Liverpools standings in thiss thread which is plainly ridiculous at best
Old May 15th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #100
yoshef
likes beer

Likes (Received): 1195

Quote:
Ok? so basically what you are trying to say is that you have no argument against my decision to ridicule the obviously biased Liverpudlian contingent who feel the need to be oblivious to the quality of skylines Paris, Frankfurt and Warsaw have produced.

If thats the case. I feel extremely sorry that you cant see the truth, even if it does hurt.
I have no argument against your decisiveness given the situation. Indeed, feel free to set DEFCON 1 and inform the President. I just wish you would limit your self proclaimed "hurtful ridicule" to just one post, rather than the plethora of shite you've left us with, in your drama queen style. Honestly, you'd think somebody had just buggered your dog by the way you go on sometimes.

I'd also like to point out that if you care to go back to the first page, this was my first post:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshef View Post
I'm surprised (and happy!) to see Liverpool is in this poll. Liverpool has a beautiful skyline, despite it not being tall, or spread out, because of the mersey & the mix of new and old. The pictures above don't do it justice, perhaps these will:-
yoshef no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
benidorm, europe, european union, frankfurt, paris, warsaw