daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #81
Coihaique

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasek View Post
Well, it's better to compare it with a destroyed Polish town, that's fairer...
You are right - but I took Krakow, because krkseg1ops is from there and he complained about cities in his country . I think Krakow has more to offer than Dresden of course - at least in the center. But I would call Dresden the winner-city-No.1 of reunification. This city really gets more beautiful every time I visit it (and thats often), while cities like Zittau and nearly all the small towns (Pirna maybe not?) got more and more beautiful in the first 10 years after reunification and are now already stagnating for a while. The smaller cities lose more and more importance and functions (and even people) to cities like Dresden and Leipzig - like in most parts of the world. This was completly different in GDR-time. While some cities lost importance (Görlitz) many gained importance, especially town of the size of Bischofswerda etc.
Coihaique no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #82
Karasek

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coihaique View Post
But I would call Dresden the winner-city-No.1 of reunification. This city really gets more beautiful every time I visit it (and thats often), while cities like Zittau and nearly all the small towns (Pirna maybe not?) got more and more beautiful in the first 10 years after reunification and are now already stagnating for a while. The smaller cities lose more and more importance and functions (and even people) to cities like Dresden and Leipzig - like in most parts of the world.
That's mostly because of the prevalent economic agenda, which arose in the 70s. Some call it Neoliberalism, but the better word is Galbraiths "horse and sparrow theory". Dresden is the horse of Saxony, per capita it gets 4x as much aid as the rest of Saxony. So, the entire region to the east of Dresden till the Polish border, which has as much inhabitants as Dresden, gets 4x less aid than Dresden.
That's the main reason while all towns except Dresden and Leipzig shrink. Pirna, the sparrow, is now easily accessible from Dresden and profits from the horse... one of the few examples where the horse and sparrow theory actually works. Radebeul is another example, but Meissen already loses people.
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #83
Skrapebook

Likes (Received): 725

Stand your ground Sachsen!
You have complaining bitter poles and west germans at you just
because their big and small cities don´t come close to these.
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #84
Coihaique

Quote:
That's mostly because of the prevalent economic agenda, which arose in the 70s. Some call it Neoliberalism, but the better word is Galbraiths "horse and sparrow theory". Dresden is the horse of Saxony, per capita it gets 4x as much aid as the rest of Saxony. So, the entire region to the east of Dresden till the Polish border, which has as much inhabitants as Dresden, gets 4x less aid than Dresden.
That's the main reason while all towns except Dresden and Leipzig shrink. Pirna, the sparrow, is now easily accessible from Dresden and profits from the horse... one of the few examples where the horse and sparrow theory actually works. Radebeul is another example, but Meissen already loses people.
Yes I know. But I did not know that it is realy 4x the money per capita. Are you sure? What are your sources? That would be outrageous - I have to say as a Upper Lusatian!

But this is not the only reason in my opinion. It also has to do with our ever more globalized world and that more and more people have no "Heimatgefühl" (local identity). I know not few people, who went with me to scool in Bautzen - they now even have found work in Bautzen and nevertheless live in the Dresden-Neustadt and drive every day 60 km , because there everything is/seems bigger for them and they think they have more options. They donate money for the Frauenkirche and don't care when there are plans to tearing down old buildings in Bautzen. Especially the more educated (especially women) don't stay and have no Heimatgefühl, they feel and see themselves as global citizens and Europeans. They talk about the pubs and the Semperoper and if you ask them "when were you last time in Semperoper" they answer - "2 years ago" (well cant they drive from Bautzen to the Semperoper every 2 years?). "And do you often go into pubs - now that you have little children?" - "No - not often - maybe 2 times the month" -- I find that very strange and even somehow sad - but this is reality. --- You only have to read in this forum to realize this. O.k. it is called Skyscrapercity but for many it seems the most important how high a skyscraper is and if there are more "supertalls" for new projects ("Frankfurt is great, but it need more supertalls"; "HafenCity is a good project, but why not more real skyscrapers" etc. etc.) - but the rural areas realy have a hard time (it is even starting this way in Bavaria now!!) - but well - maybe one day it will again go the other direction. Lets see.. It is not always bad if you are outside the main interests - this way maybe even more is preserved than it would when global citizens want to follow the newest trends from the "global cities". I for myself am very happy not to live in London or Frankfurt
Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:30 PM   #85
Karasek

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:
Yes I know. But I did not know that it is realy 4x the money per capita. Are you sure? What are your sources? That would be outrageous - I have to say as a Upper Lusatian!
You have to follow the statements of the much ridiculed political oppostion like the SPD or Linkspartei. The local politicians of both parties often talk about it, and they use numbers of the ministry of finance. But as a local you probably know that these politician don't exist in both the MDR and the Sächsische Zeitung...

Quote:
But this is not the only reason in my opinion. It also has to do with our ever more globalized world and that more and more people have no "Heimatgefühl" (local identity). I know not few people, who went with me to scool in Bautzen - they now even have found work in Bautzen and nevertheless live in the Dresden-Neustadt and drive every day 60 km , because there everything is/seems bigger for them and they think they have more options.
Hmm, must be a Bautzen problem...
Here in the south of Upper Lusatia, where the Edelrollers are located, people have a strong local identity. Sure, when they are in their early 20s they want to see the big, wide world, but many people would like to come back when they get a bit older and create families.
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:21 PM   #86
Coihaique

Quote:
Hmm, must be a Bautzen problem...
Here in the south of Upper Lusatia, where the Edelrollers are located, people have a strong local identity. Sure, when they are in their early 20s they want to see the big, wide world, but many people would like to come back when they get a bit older and create families.
No - not a Bautzen problem - defintely not. My center of life is not only Bautzen, but also the south of Upper Lusatia. And yes - there are people with local identity, but most who have gone have not returned yet. - Bautzen, while having many problems, is together with Görlitz definitly one of the best going places in Upper Lusatia right now and has many people with strong reginal identity as well. --- But... I hope you are right
Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:17 PM   #87
Pedro Paulo Carreira

Likes (Received): 22

Bele região da Alemanha. Ainda bem que as cidades foram reconstruídas. Dresden está belíssima.
Pedro Paulo Carreira no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #88
Skrapebook

Likes (Received): 725

Germany is without any doubt the most beautiful country on the planet!
Saxony is the jewel in the crown!

extrawelt liked this post
Skrapebook no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, heritage, historical photos, sachsen