daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #61
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6427

3hrs- a train I took from London to Swansea hit a suicide victim just outside Cardiff. Apparently he'd been trying it all week since his wife and children left/ died. It was quite grim, the guards gave everyone cups of tea and we tried not to think about which carriage the body might be under.

Later we were given taxis to take us the rest of the way, our cab to Swansea had only 4 of us it being a late night service. TOTAL silence the whole way for 2 hours :P
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2009, 01:41 AM   #62
Papacu
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

45 minutes in Japan due to suicide: someone jumped in the rails. For the japanese standards, it's a lot of time.
Papacu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #63
pcrail

Likes (Received): 13

I had once a 24 hours delay when I want to travel from Zurich to Bordeaux. I was supoosed to be in Bordeaux at the Dezember 27th 1999, finaly I arrived at Dezember 28th. The strong sorm tore down the catenary of the railway line to Bordeaux and we had to stay in a TGV over night.
pcrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #64
michaeltvs

Likes (Received): 0

48 hours

Worst one that I have experienced was in the late 90's on the Sunlander (Queensland Australia), we were cut off by floodwaters to the north and south in the middle of nowhere and stayed stopped on the train for approx 30 hours, we then limped north, got transfered to a bus the following day and arrived about 48 hours past the scheduled arrival in Townsville.
One thing they did plan for when Comeng built the Lander trains in the 1950's is enough generator fuel and supplies for up to 2 weeks if they were stranded.
It happens pretty regularly, at the begining of May the southbound Sunland was delayed for 10 hours at Proserpine after a derailment further south. During January the Inlander was trapped for 48 hours until busses arrived, the train left 2 days after the people left.
michaeltvs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #65
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

Just one hour here I think.

I just wanted to test out the new Brussels - Maastricht service which is operated by SNCB (Belgian railways). But when it arrived in Maastricht there was a control from the Dutch railway control agency and apparently, the train driver (who was French-speaking) didn't speak enough Dutch. Therefore he could not drive the train back to Brussels and SNCB had to bring over another driver by taxi from Belgium.
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #66
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

7 hours

Windstorm Kyrill hammered the nation good. After serious delays and cancellations, all train traffic was eventually suspended. I got stranded at Rotterdam Central Station.

I was supposed to have been home by 7pm, but I didn't get there until 2am.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #67
metro_minotaur
Registered Noob.

Likes (Received): 3

worst delay for me was in Europe on a regional train, we came to a stop about half way between 2 towns, after an hour subsitute buses transfered everyone to the next major station, where we waited for about 3 hours before the same train actually showed up again. I didnt get what the problem was, but the train driver said they were sorry for the delay - 4-5hour delay

second worst for me was in my home town of Adelaide, i got the train at about 7:35, and about 3 stops before reaching the city, we came to a stop because the train in front had broken down, about an hour later a friend of mine who catches the 8;30 train said all the trains were banked up in a long line, but soon after that we started moving again - 1hour 20min delay
metro_minotaur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #68
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Mine was around an hour and 10 minutes.

The switches failed at the Lake/Wells street crossing, which is a bottleneck for the Brown, Purple, Green, Pink and Orange Line trains.

It basically shut down all 5 train lines coming into, out of and moving around the loop. It was quite entertaining, all those thousands of commuters stuck all over the loop.

They were manually throwing the switches, so where normally 3 or more trains can pass through every minute depending on direction, it was taking upwards of 7 minutes to move a train through.
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #69
donnie brasco

Likes (Received): 16

3 hours. Had enough time "backup" luckily.
donnie brasco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #70
bretton888

Hastings

4 hours. I was stuck in a train station in Hastings, Nebraska. Train was supposed to show up at 2am, came in at 6am. Track work on the line from Denver to McCook was the problem. All i know is that thought the station in Hastings is nice, I don't recommend trying to sleep in it.
bretton888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #71
bozata90

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Windstorm Kyrill hammered the nation good. After serious delays and cancellations, all train traffic was eventually suspended. I got stranded at Rotterdam Central Station.

I was supposed to have been home by 7pm, but I didn't get there until 2am.
As you know the storm was named after a Bulgarian .
bozata90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #72
jlshyang

Likes (Received): 13

3 hours from London Euston to Aberystwyth (mid-Wales).

It was definitely my worst experience ever as I had just landed at London Stansted from Prague the very same day, left my bag of souvenirs and some valuables from Prague in the Tube (got it back later thanks to Transport for London), lodged a report with TfL at Baker Steet and was on my way back to Aberystwyth where my university was. I can't remember what the problem was though. Some maintenance work I think. I was just to preoccupied with the fact that I left my valuables on the Tube.

My long journey back to Aberystwyth:

London Stansted-London Euston: by coach

London Euston-Stratford (3 hours delay here and the station was empty)-Birmingham New Street-Borth: by rail

Borth-Abersytwyth: by coach
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #73
cuswispra

Hi

They are really very cool, very wonderful
Great work .. really informative .. and thanks a lot for sharing ..
Glad it works as expected for you
looking good
cuswispra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #74
perdurabo
Silesian InExile

Likes (Received): 4754

3 hours, in winter they said that our lok's pantograph had just welded to overhead wires, no heating -15 celsius outside, middle of night. After 2 hours they finaly bring new locomotive it was barely moving and letting every train to pass us, delay went up to 2,5h, after we got into destination i spend another 30 minutes trying to get paper saying that we had delay(without that paper i could say bye bye to my job :/).
perdurabo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #75
Team Brian GB

I was delayed on the train yesterday just ten minutes away from reaching London Paddington because there was a death on the line literally just in front of us. The train sat there for a while then turned back in the opposite direction towards Reading so we could change onto an open line, so from being ten minutes away from arriving on time I arrived nearly ninety minutes late.
Team Brian GB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #76
Rail_Serbia

Likes (Received): 668

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlker View Post
My worst delay was train Skopje - Beograd, it had 3 hours delay, so we didn't catch next train to Budapest and had to wait for next train about 12 hours in Beograd...
That is normal, this train, if it is late 45min, this is on time. O.K. Beograd in summer have every day reach night life, you had good fun

In Serbia trains are late average 7min on 100km. The reason is that for repairing part time low speed zones(maybe in English there is better term for lagane voznje in Serbian) are not in time tables, and part times look like forewer. Only 7% of railways are double truck. On Serbian railways there are between 30-50 suicides every year. In Serbia railways are unpopular, not only for suicids (only one Belgrade bridge have more suicides then all railways), then for traveling, and take only 8% interurban passengers compare to busses 92%.

The worst delay I have experienced is in night train from Beograd to Bar at year of 1993, summer. That was the worst crisis ever, and everything was terible... By time tables this train depart Belgrade at about 23h, and come to Bar in about 8h. First two hours we didn`t have locomotive, after that I start to sleap. When I waked up, we was somewhere on Montenegrians mountains, we waited few hours. After that we waited also few hours near Skadar lake. We came to Bar at 19 or 20, I was child, I don`t remember. That was about 11-12h delay.

Last edited by Rail_Serbia; October 10th, 2009 at 07:58 PM.
Rail_Serbia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #77
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

I was taking a train Sheffield-Lincoln...

It set off on time. but arrived 30mins late as one of the engines broke!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #78
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1356

My new worst train delay, not for the delay itself, but for the reason of the delay:

ICE from Hamburg to Berlin last friday. Usually the trip takes 100 minutes.
First it was a 10 minutes delay, then it was raised in 5-minute-increases until 45 minutes! The ICE-train (max-speed on that route: 230km/h) was replaced by an IC-train (max-speed: 200km/h), but on board of the IC-train were some documents missing which had to be found first before the train can depart!

The total delay at central station Berlin was 57 minutes. 4 minutes short of being eligible for a partial refund of the ticket cost.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #79
dexmex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Well it seems that if Japanese reil workers comes in Europe they would probably do a collective harikiri
dexmex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #80
bongo-anders

Likes (Received): 3601

Mine was this sunday

I was supposed to take the ICE train From Hamburg Hbf heading for København H (Copenhagen Central Station) at 17:28 and with a change of train in Næstved i was supposed to be home at 22:21 at Ølby station.

The train is heading directly to Copenhagen via the ferry crossing over Fehmarn Bælt.

But the train was cancelled so we had to take a Regio Express to Padborg at the Danish/German border crossing leaving at 18:42.
From then we had to take a Regional train to Fredericia and then a Intercity train heading for Copenhagen Airport.

We were so lucky that one of my travel companions wife was willing to take the car to Ringsted located 30 km´s west of Ølby.
She picked us up at almost 01:00 and i was home at 01:25 so 3 hours later than expected.
bongo-anders no está en línea   Reply With Quote