daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #41
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
Oh NY's wasn't that dirty - didn't notice it anyway..

Copenhagen's is driverless and rely on censors scanning the area ahead, so there has to be clean othervise the train will stop

About the screen I do think they are projection screens - but LCDs are gaining ground here - some bus lines now have them and it's being tested on some S-Train lines too..

All hail the mighty power of commercials
In NYC the stations that tourists go to are clean, if u go north of 59th street in manhattan the trash in the tunnels is ridiculous, not to talk about the stations themselves... and there easily over 4 million rats that live in the NYC subways system at my station we have rats the size of kittens walking on the platform, yes the platform not tunnel, and the smell is UGH.... like a huge toilet... American public transport cant touch the european....
SaRaJeVo-City no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #42
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6384

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Really? Isn't it because of signals passed through wires between the tracks, like practically all other automatic railways?
I'm certainly no expert at this, but i do know there are sensors as they caused a lot of problems in the beginning where they were still being calibrated resulting in a lot of delays and even cases where the trains would have to be left there and the people guided topside trough the tunnels..

Back then they talked about how even a plastic back on the tracks could cause problems..
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #43
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

Vienna's metro is definitely the most dangerous.

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 06:28 AM   #44
Darhet
Warsaw patriot

Likes (Received): 1187

Best New Station: Wilson Square Station - Warsaw

The most beautiful subway station in the world is right here in the Warsaw suburb of Żoliborz
MetroRail, an international metro industry association, said at their annual conference in Copenhagen this year that the Polish capital's Plac Wilsona (Wilson Square) station has the world's most original design. Over a hundred MetroRail designers, architects and engineers unanimously voted Plac Wilsona as the most functional and beautiful metro station built over the last few years. The Warsaw metro clocked up another distinction when its employee Robert Jaryczewski was voted best driver.

The single-story station opened in 2005. The platform is 11 meters wide and 120 meters long and there are escalators, stairs and elevators at both ends. The interior is made of steel, glass and concrete, and the color scheme features shades of gray and silver. The highlight, however, is the elliptical dome over the platform, which illuminates the station and alleviates the noise from the trains. The light it gives off can be red, violet, blue or green depending on the time of day. One of the station's hallmarks is its southern entrance designed as a pair of overhanging weeping willows. The glazed concrete structure sports a white sign proclaiming "Plac Wilsona."

Designer Andrzej Chołdzyński is currently helping design Warsaw's second metro line, whose construction is due to commence in 2009.

Darhet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #45
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darhet View Post
The most beautiful subway station in the world is right here in the Warsaw suburb of Żoliborz
MetroRail, an international metro industry association, said at their annual conference in Copenhagen this year that the Polish capital's Plac Wilsona (Wilson Square) station has the world's most original design. Over a hundred MetroRail designers, architects and engineers unanimously voted Plac Wilsona as the most functional and beautiful metro station built over the last few years. The Warsaw metro clocked up another distinction when its employee Robert Jaryczewski was voted best driver.

The single-story station opened in 2005. The platform is 11 meters wide and 120 meters long and there are escalators, stairs and elevators at both ends. The interior is made of steel, glass and concrete, and the color scheme features shades of gray and silver. The highlight, however, is the elliptical dome over the platform, which illuminates the station and alleviates the noise from the trains. The light it gives off can be red, violet, blue or green depending on the time of day. One of the station's hallmarks is its southern entrance designed as a pair of overhanging weeping willows. The glazed concrete structure sports a white sign proclaiming "Plac Wilsona."

Designer Andrzej Chołdzyński is currently helping design Warsaw's second metro line, whose construction is due to commence in 2009.

Plac Wilsona is pretty, but in my humble opinion is not the most beautiful subway station in the word. There are anothers station like Chamartin in Madrid or Canary Wharf in London that are more beautiful by far.
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #46
Urbanus

Likes (Received): 712

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREKI View Post
I'm certainly no expert at this, but i do know there are sensors as they caused a lot of problems in the beginning where they were still being calibrated resulting in a lot of delays and even cases where the trains would have to be left there and the people guided topside trough the tunnels..

Back then they talked about how even a plastic back on the tracks could cause problems..
Well, actually there is not sensors at the trains. The sensors is at the edge of the platforms at the above ground stations, where there is no platform edge doors, to stop the trains if anyone fall down at the tracks. It is those sensors that caused the many delays in the beginning.

Why there is clean? Like iampuking wrote: One thing is that it is new, the other is that there is platform edge doors at the underground sections, and therefor no rubbish falling down to the tracks. The tunnels are totally sealed off from the passengers, and it is the passengers that makes a mess, not the trains
Urbanus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #47
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Take the Melbourne 'Metro' practically everday. And I would like to nominate it as the world's 'crappest'.

# It is ALWAYS late.
# Invariably cancelled
# Run by a corrupt organization milking the government for funding.
# Would almost be an improvement if the whole thing was disbanded and turned into car parking or more roads.

Now they have Susan Boyle.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #48
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

sorry...repeat....ignore..

Now they have Susan Boyle.

Last edited by BobDaBuilder; June 9th, 2008 at 05:00 PM.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #49
Minato ku

Melbourne does not have a Metro system but a suburban network with underground sections in central part.
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #50
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

^ Plac Wilsona in Warsaw suburb does look nice but I've seen pics of nicer stations in Madrid, London, and Paris.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #51
Darhet
Warsaw patriot

Likes (Received): 1187

maybe but this is pretty cool:
The highlight, however, is the elliptical dome over the platform, which illuminates the station and alleviates the noise from the trains. The light it gives off can be red, violet, blue or green depending on the time of day.

Darhet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #52
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

I like the design of this station, particularly the cool lighting, but I dunno why it feels so depressing at the same time.

Anyway, congrats to CPH, and I have to give a nod to my hometown, not bad for a 30 year old system!

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #53
JoKo65

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubejar View Post
^ Plac Wilsona in Warsaw suburb does look nice but I've seen pics of nicer stations in Madrid, London, and Paris.
And Moscow and St. Petersburg not to forget.
Old June 14th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #54
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Guys, it's about new built stations!

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 04:23 PM   #55
JoKo65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Guys, it's about new built stations!
What does it change?
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #56
LondonBVE

Likes (Received): 0

The Best Passenger Experience's winner's SMRT showing its metro. The North South Line and East West Line.

North South Line:

East West Line:

Their Train

C151 Unrefurbished Exterior:

Interior:

C151 Refurbished Exterior:

Interior:

C651 (Much more whiter due to Stainless Steel used compared to C151):

Interior:

C751B:

Interior:

Though they won the award, personally I felt that they should not have won it. Well here's why, do you think the passenger enjoy 7 hours delay as a Maintenance train crashed to another one at 10 km/h and later said it was a minor accident so the solution to make get to their destination is to operate infrequent buses. During normal days at peak hour you can expect 4 - 5 mins when you are least expected so if you are going to school at 6.45am you need to run for the train as they feed the wrong direction with the wrong frequency. Personally Hong Kong MTR should get the award as I find them listen to people feedback while what SMRT did is say they have not enough money when they report 0.15 billion profit practically every year.

Last edited by LondonBVE; June 14th, 2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Turn URL into pictures and fix missing pictures.
LondonBVE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #57
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKo65 View Post
What does it change?
ha! it changes a lot!
u can consider only the newest stations and worldwide there are not so many of new built ones i guess. In fact only few new stations open every year.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #58
JoKo65

Moscow and Madrid have no problems in opening new stations, I think.