daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Midwest and Plains > Development News

Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Jan
High there, what's up!

Likes (Received): 3970

Toledo Development News

I restarted this thread because The Blade stated that they want all of their content deleted from this site, which frankly was quite a lot in that thread. I moved the thread out of sight, if one of the local staffers can clean it out it can be restored.

General reminder: please do not copy full articles from outside news sources into the forums. Best way to go is to copy the title and a small extract and link to the full article. Thanks for working with us.

Here is a link to the previous thread:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=240455

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; May 22nd, 2008 at 05:14 PM.
Jan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Pilliod Njaim

Likes (Received): 0

Then you need to go over every development thread on this board I'm afraid. Everyone has posted and discussed news articles.
Pilliod Njaim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Well that sucks! We've given the Toledo Blade and other outlets full credit of the articles, photos and writers who brought these development news to the general public. I am assuming with the latest action that if we post links to their site it would increase their website hits, so much for all those great posts in the past few years since it was discussed in a public arena.

Last edited by Bonjourtoledo; May 22nd, 2008 at 06:28 PM.
Bonjourtoledo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM   #4
Pilliod Njaim

I moved the thread out of sight, if one of the local staffers can clean it out it can be restored.

Is there anyone willing to do this? Honestly, I'd be willing to if it means saving our thread. We've had a lot of productive discussions and I'd hate to lose that just because of a few whole newspaper articles. We can pare down the newspaper articles and post links, and keep everything else the same.

Last edited by Pilliod Njaim; May 22nd, 2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:50 PM   #5
rustbeltrevival

2640 Monroe St.

I think you both make good points... under normal circumstances I would be completely opposed to building demolition, and that building did have the potential to be re-developed. However, the reasons I'm okay with it in this particular case are the same reasons one could advocate for its redevelopment: its in the old West End and right by the museum. I live around the block from there, a few doors down from the Old West End commons, and poeple pour their heart into keeping that up. If the OWE association has a plan for the property, that's great. However, if they don't, this gives the museum some space to do something with, or, hopefully, gives a private commercial developer some space to build on. I want a coffee shop (besides the glass pavilion's, which isn't too shabby but could be way better, I mean a real neighborhood coffee shop with a kitchen/bakery and all that), or a restaurant, or a video store, or dammit something in the OWE, and I can't really blame the developers on this one, because there is simply little to no commercial zoning in the OWE (the exception being the corner of Delaware and Collingwood, which has maybe the best soul food place in town). I say re-zone this commercial and build something that will benefit the neighborhood. Ideally, a small grocery would be awesome!!

My point is, I don't see this property sitting vacant and creating a gap, unless it does so as a park. There actually has been a decent amount of redevelopment around this corridor in the past five or so years. There is a new Bank, a newer Rite Aid, a new middle school, the redevelopment of the old St. Martin's into Englewood Peace Academy.. and the commercial properties on monroe/bancroft are pretty much occupied, as far as I can tell.

I do lament the loss of a near 100 year old building... However, I can't imagine Carty would be so concerned about demolition unless he was trying to take credit for pushing through someone else's idea, so maybe something is already in the works...?
rustbeltrevival no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:07 PM   #6
rustbeltrevival

2640 Monroe St

But to clarify, I do think it's bullsh*t that the City slaps the owner with a citation for this, then demolishes it and foots them with the bill. It should be compensating the owner for the taking through eminent domain!! The City's intentions are probably good, and most people are probably in favor of this sort of demolition (as noted, this gets the taxpayers off the hook), and if the building is an actual real nuisance this should most definitely be the way its handled. But I know for a fact that the City abuses the building code for fundraising purposes, as does anyone who owns vacant property. But in this they aren't different from any other city, suburb, town, etc., in the rest of the world... Doesn't make it right.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:10 PM   #7
tk29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilliod Njaim View Post
I moved the thread out of sight, if one of the local staffers can clean it out it can be restored.

Is there anyone willing to do this? Honestly, I'd be willing to if it means saving our thread. We've had a lot of productive discussions and I'd hate to lose that just because of a few whole newspaper articles. We can pare down the newspaper articles and post links, and keep everything else the same.
I agree with paring down the articles and posting links to keep the original thread active, especially since the Toledo thread has the most posts in the Midwest forum.
tk29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:36 PM   #8
Pilliod Njaim

^I know, and we had many GREAT discussions regarding urban development in Toledo. There has to be a way to at least get all of that back. I'm still waiting for a reply from an administrator.

We had one of the best development threads of any place I've seen.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:13 PM   #9
jpIllInoIs

Likes (Received): 16

Take solace my Toledo commrades. The best threads are jam packed with local slueth photogs. Much of the old thread is old news. People don't go back 25 pages to read posts from 2006. You can still reference Blade articles by posting the headline and byline only and then the article link.(At least that is the way Chicago threads do it). Meanwhile get out on the street and take real time photos and post those with your name credited. I look forward to an even better Toledo thread.
jpIllInoIs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #10
rustbeltrevival

Intermodel news?

Man, there has been this media blitz this week on the water deal with the property North of the Airport. It seems like everyone is placing the blame square on Carty for not getting this deal done, and as of right now they have me convinced. From what I can tell, his ball-dropping is a product of his trying to follow the Toledo water compact regulations, which necessitate the establishment of a Joint Economic Development Zone before new water lines are installed. This seems all well and good, but Carty seems to be taking his sweet time working one out with Swanton and Monclova (I read in the Free Press that there is absolutely no time table set for working out a JEDZ). In addition, the Free Press reported that Carty won't sign the paperwork for the water until McMahon reveals his developer.

My question: is Carty that F-ing crazy, or does the City have a legitimate reason for taking their time?? I mean, we will truly miss the boat if we don't jump on this opportunity as soon as possible. The media spin on the situation is making my head want to explode. So this is my question, I guess, is this just spin, or are there legitimate behind the scenes negotiations under way? And is there anyone with any sort of inside knowledge on what Carty is actually thinking? Is he just holding out for the glory, with the intention of signing in the next month or so, is is there a chance he will actually drop the ball on this project?
Old May 25th, 2008, 02:10 AM   #11
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjourtoledo View Post
Well that sucks! We've given the Toledo Blade and other outlets full credit of the articles, photos and writers who brought these development news to the general public. I am assuming with the latest action that if we post links to their site it would increase their website hits, so much for all those great posts in the past few years since it was discussed in a public arena.
You've definitely provided most of the info that I've seen on the previous thread. I went there for new readings. I'm sure it'll be back there soon. Still sad though.
Would you like that in the can?
No, I'll have it right here.

http://www.haldcottingham.blogspot.com
haldcottingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #12
Bonjourtoledo

Location: Toledo a.k.a. Glass City, Solar City, Jeep City or Mud Hens Town
Likes (Received): 1

Update on the Toledo thread

I'm working on cleaning up the entire 1900 posts with anything that reflects the Toledo Blade articles and pictures. I've done about the first 800 posts thus far and hopefully I can get the rest done by end of this week. This will bring this Toledo thread back into main forum (hopefully).

So keep discussing/posting away while I work on this.

Thanks so for patience.
Old May 26th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #13
Mudhen419

Likes (Received): 21

Thanks bonjour.... You are the main reason this forum thrives like it does....

This weeks metro had a few interesting articles.... The First was about the port authority buying the old chevron land to enlarge our seaport... When complete Toledo will have the largest seaport on the great lakes. The other articlewas about the small town of Curtice Ohiowhich is half Lucas county half Ottawa wanting to suceed from Ottawa and have all the territory of curtice in Lucas county..... I guess Curtice got snubbed out of some money that they could have really used and it went to a restuarant in Port Clinton and they feel like there getting the short end of the stick living in western ottawa county so that is the reason for them wanting to leave Ottawa.

Also..... the Flickr link Pilliod posted about a week or so ago with the arena pics has been updated..... Looks like they go out n take a pic or 2 a week so keep your eyes open on that.....
Mudhen419 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #14
Mudhen419

Since we startin out fresh heres the links to a few of my dudes myspaces if u was wantin to hear some of that Toledo sound..... myspace.com/officialalaz myspace.com/officialdeuce myspace.com/sixxdigit u can find countless other Toledo music acts from those sites.....
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:46 AM   #15
nickw311

Any new pictures of the arena?
nickw311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:30 AM   #16
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)

The two that were here before were outstanding!
Would you like that in the can?
No, I'll have it right here.

http://www.haldcottingham.blogspot.com
haldcottingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #17
b1gh0u5e

Arena Pics from Monday

sorry, not working. I'll put them up this weekend
b1gh0u5e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #18
nickw311

Thanks, I'm in Chicago for the summer and will not be able to track the progress.
nickw311 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:57 AM   #19
Mudhen419

Theres a good pic of the arena on the blades front page today (friday). The announcement is wednesday with the final plans 10 am seagate center.... If i can get up that early I'll be there.....

Also today the Marina District had its first passenger ferry leave for Put in Bay..... Jet Express is looking to do more trips from toledo to PIB in the future.... Hope the weather didnt scare anyone away from takin the trip.......
Old June 2nd, 2008, 01:03 AM   #20
Pilliod Njaim

^That's awesome. I'll be taking the Jet Express to PIB this summer when I get home from college.

Tags
toledo