daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #41
facundo
termino no inapropiado

Likes (Received): 260

awesome pictures of this great city and it's riverfront suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by and32 View Post
Really? I was sure that it was from Cesar Pelli, the Argentinian that built the new World Trade Center and the Petronas Towers
You are right. Repsol-YPF tower is a Cesar Pelli creation, not Calatrava. And it's already one of the most beatiful buildings in the city, even though it's not finished yet.

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #42
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 2696

Fantastic pictures. Buenos Aires is definitely one of my favorite cities in the world. In terms of beautiful architecture, great skylines, gorgeous parks, interesting people and street life, and breathtaking landscapes, there are few cities, if any, that match up with BA. It's certainly one of the most purely urban cities on the globe. Great collection photos.
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 03:52 AM   #43
mglouis85

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Fantastic pictures. Buenos Aires is definitely one of my favorite cities in the world. In terms of beautiful architecture, great skylines, gorgeous parks, interesting people and street life, and breathtaking landscapes, there are few cities, if any, that match up with BA. It's certainly one of the most purely urban cities on the globe. Great collection photos.
nice to know people value our culture and what argentines have done in BA...thnx...)
mglouis85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #44
mglouis85

Likes (Received): 2

mglouis85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #45
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

I do not think Buenos Aires is all that beautiful. It is very ordinary looking for the most part but impressively cosmopolitan. It is no more European looking than San Juan Puerto Rico. It looks like a fascinating "must see" city but it is not a stunning beauty like Paris, Stockholm or Amsterdam for that matter. I definitely want to visit. I like the river development as it looks very ecclectic.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #46
gabdem
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
I do not think Buenos Aires is all that beautiful. It is very ordinary looking for the most part but impressively cosmopolitan. It is no more European looking than San Juan Puerto Rico.

gabdem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 03:52 AM   #47
Ian
Mariano

Likes (Received): 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
I do not think Buenos Aires is all that beautiful. It is very ordinary looking for the most part but impressively cosmopolitan. It is no more European looking than San Juan Puerto Rico. It looks like a fascinating "must see" city but it is not a stunning beauty like Paris, Stockholm or Amsterdam for that matter. I definitely want to visit. I like the river development as it looks very ecclectic.
well... of course, the city is in America, BA don't have those homogenous historical districts like european cities, the old biuldings are scattered all over the city, with some neighbourhoods that really have tons of them but in a more eclectical way, mixed with crap of the 60's and 70's... You're not going to find those lineal perfect parisian boulevards...
Ian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:52 AM   #48
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

" well... of course, the city is in America, BA don't have those homogenous historical districts like european cities, the old biuldings are scattered all over the city, with some neighbourhoods that really have tons of them but in a more eclectical way, mixed with crap of the 60's and 70's... You're not going to find those lineal perfect parisian boulevards..."

That is the kind of city that appeals to me most. London is kind of this way since it was bombed and rebuilt. Chicago and New York City too in the sense that they were not built in one period. This particular thread about Buenos Aires does not flatter the city like other posts I have seen. I am impressed by the city but not for its beauty. What impresses me is the culture and vibrancy.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #49
staminous
>>>>>>>>>>

Likes (Received): 1

Do not be fooled by these photos.

I had a friend of mine visit Argentina from Australia in October this year.

he flew from Melbourne to Auckland with Qantas, then from Auckland to Santiago with LAN Chile, then with LAN Chile to Buenos Aries, then TAM to Sao Paulo, then TAM back to Satiago, LAN Chile to Auckland, and finally Qantas from Auckland to Melbourne.

The standard of living for the average person in Argentina is WELL BELOW that of developed rich countries.

Even Argentinian's on professional incomes, do not have much of a disposable income. After, housing, car and food costs, theres little left over.

Families in Buenos Aries live in cramped highrise apartments. many withoutlifts. These typically have one loungeroom, a small kitchen, one bathroom and two bedrooms. there is certainly no garden or pool.

Imagine an average Australian, Canadian or American family squashing into that. Where they are acustomed to a minimum of four bedrooms, two lounge areas family and living, two bathrooms, double garage, and large font and back yards, with many suburban homes here have inground pools. ( Where it is a MAJOR issue for Governments to get developers to build smaller and more modest homes.)

Also, older grandparents are often forced to live with their children as the old age pension is very low.

There is very little welfare, and no free medical assistance, and cetainly no free tertiary education. Too bad if you cant afford it. Plus the unemployment rate is higher than in most OECD countries. And the average Argentinian's life span is years less.

The average Argentinian has to spend hours on long distance buses, as it is too out of reach for the the average person to fly domestically, when visiting relatives or when going on holidays and almost NO Argentinian family can afford to go on overseas holidays. They have Long Distance and International bus stations in BA, like we have airports. If they can afford it, the family may take a bus to a beach resort in Brazil, or take the ferry across to Uraguay. Although thir planes are modern, usually a Boeing or Embraier, its still too expensive to use for leisure trips.

When my friend was there, about 20 bus loads of footy fans from Uraguay came in from a 12 hour trip!!! That would never happen in Europe, NZ, Aus, USA, Canada. ...thats just 1 hour in a plane. ...something like AU$50.

The average Argentinian also has to drive a small 1.4 or 1.6 litre car. Usually locally manufactured European makes like Peugeot and Renault. They certainly dont update every couple of years.

This compares to the average Australian family that has two cars, and the top selling Aussie family car is a 2.6 Litre V8, large car with all the latest safety and comfort technology. In fact, the most popular selling Aussie family car, the Holden Commodore costs, AU$34,990. This is MORE than the entire wage for the Argentinian family for a year. (the Holden Commodore sells as the Pontiac G8 in the USA,
US$32,240)

The really sad thing is, Argentina's woes are all self inflicted. Their Government is not transparent. There is an elite upper class that exploits the poor. Its all very sad.

Argentina serves as a CHILLING example to Australia --and especiallyto the USA right NOW given the Bush/Greenspan decade and the consequent economic crisis.- - NEVER ever accept a morrally corrupt government and a morrally corrupt and tweaking of or abandoment of a constitution!

What i am saying here may sound harsh. But it is infact a stong lesson for other comodity based countries like Australia, USA, Canada, NZ and even Brazil and South Africa of what NOT to do economically and politically.

At the turn of the century, in 1911 infact, Argentina was the 5th most riches nation. It has taken just ONE generation to destroy all that wealth. ...and now future generations must pick up the pieces. Most of Argentina's decline occured in the 1940s, 1970s and then 1980s, 1990s and it just goes on, and on. In 2002, Argentina's unemployment rate was 25 %!!!!! ...In 2007 it has an inflation rate of 9 %!!! and rose to 20% in 2008. Urban poverty is at 21% Down from previous years, but much higher than in the 1970s.
These figures are seriously worrying. Checkout Wikipedia to confirm my statistics.

For a country that is geographically and environmentally almost identical to Australia, it is just plain frightening.

Last edited by staminous; November 27th, 2008 at 06:33 AM.
staminous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #50
Jesús E. Salgado

Likes (Received): 278

Their economical problems started during War War Two, it begun with the colonels cuartelazos (govermment overthrows) under Perón and his buddies of the same militar rank. When Perón and Eva his wife took over control of the govermment raided the ark of the national treasury to give it the descamisados (the poor), they spent money like nobody's business without having national reverves to back off the expenses.

Argentina of the beggining of the 1900's to the 1930's was one of the richest and most promising rising economies in the world.
Jesús E. Salgado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:05 AM   #51
Bonaerense24
Juanma

Likes (Received): 17988

I just wonder what is the problem with you?

Whose idea was to compare Argentina with a rich developed country like Australia? that wasnt the idea of this thread at all,
Im really embarresed for you, and feel very insulted about your comments, specially because I love Australia, and Melbourne, I have family living there.
Bonaerense24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:41 AM   #52
Jesús E. Salgado

Likes (Received): 278

Philadweller likes to criticize others participants, and he is always saying controversial comments about other people, I was one of the criticized by one of his comments.
Jesús E. Salgado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:32 AM   #53
Ian
Mariano

Likes (Received): 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by staminous View Post
Wowww, it must be hell on earth right??... still we are very happy here in our tiny apartments , and don't worry beacuse most of argentinians neither could live in those dead boring suburbs that you are used to in those countries you mention... universities are totally free, and you won't believe this but even some immigrants who live in slums go to college!!! so imagine the rest that you said we couldn't afford it... and for the terrible medical care just do a little research on the thousands of blogs of americans living in argentina and read it for yourself, most of them simply can't believe the quality of the service and the price for it... most of the medical insurances cover any kind of dental issues also, something very rare in other places...

so... for being called a third world country we're not that bad man, maybe your 'supposed friend' was expecting a nordic country.

ayyy estos trolls me ponen re troll...

Last edited by Ian; November 27th, 2008 at 06:47 AM.
Ian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #54
staminous
>>>>>>>>>>

Likes (Received): 1

Argentina is certainly not a third world country. That has never been said.
but discussing Argentina criticly, to serve as a factual economic historical lesson, is a valid point. The truth does hurt on this topic. I am sorry.

Yes i do have a problem with your country's leaders. You've had corrupt officials, military dictators, fascists, family dynasties, all sorts running the country.They have been responsible for coup after coup, crisis after crisis, repression of the poeple, and human rights abuses.

There are memorials for the thousands of young men and women that have been tortured, bannished - never to be seen again - over the years. Mothers, sons and daughters still live with that pain. Maybe i should post some photos of this.

There were even more loss of innocent life with the Argentina Government going to war with Britain. Fighting over the Falkands. In that case, more innocent loss of life by a fascist government.

The periods of currency devalutation, double-digit hyper-inflation, political, institutional and economic crisis, just seem to continue decade after decade.

Even now, your country has one President, Nestor Kirshner, from 2003 to 2007, and then his "wife", Cristina Kirshner, takes over the presidency, in the October 2007 election. This situation doesn't sound right.

This IS the SAD reality behind these photos. And for this reason, Argentina DOES serve as a very important lesson to many countries. There are many people on this website that are Generation X and Generation Y. It is so important that they DO learn the history and reality of Argentina, so they can stand guard, for truth, honesty and personal freedom in the countries where they live.

It is vital, that the world learns from the Argentinian experience. My friend did comment that it is grossly sad that the average Argentinian guy drinking beers in the bar, just accepts these 'crisis', as a way of life.

I just hope that deep down you understand what i am talking about.

Last edited by staminous; November 27th, 2008 at 07:43 AM.
staminous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:19 PM   #55
Avientu

Likes (Received): 39

staminous, you are just trolling this interesting thread. If you are so anxious to talk about Argentina's economical or political situation go and open a new thread, because this is certainly not the place!

Avientu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #56
pegu
Arquitectura / Paisaje

Likes (Received): 117

WOW great pictures! thats really how buenos aires looks like! amazing city
pegu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #57
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244843

Buenos Aires is great