daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Skylines and Photography > Photographia

Photographia Hints, tips and general photographic know-how

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #101
T0M
Scousish

Likes (Received): 0

Smashing shots Ged.
T0M no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 6th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #102
Borras_Hwfa
Gog Almighty

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
Yeh, don't use the aerosols as they contain fluid which can gunk up the glass... a bulb blower is better (don't use aresoles either, they'll do you no good whatsoever!)
I used an AF Sprayduster aerosol on my D70, but I took the precaution of holding it quite far away so it didn't leave any residue. I had thought about using the hoover, an air line, or a bike pump with a needle for inflating a football on the end. Hadn't thought about the arsehole though, but thanks for stopping me in my tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ged View Post
I'm happy with results produced by me cheapo filter..Indoors,outdoors,day and night..left on all the time..
Tidy pics guv. I'm ordering a 67mm and a 58mm on pay day. Thanks for the recommendation. Not sure about leaving polarizing filters on indoors - isn't that the photographic equivalent of being Bono?
Borras_Hwfa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #103
Ged
If I come back my ISP will be contacted

Thanks Lads..best of luck Borras..you wont go wrong with them filters..always leave a filter on Borras..best bashing a £20 filter than a £400 lens.
Ged no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #104
Borras_Hwfa
Gog Almighty

Quote:
Thanks Lads..best of luck Borras..you wont go wrong with them filters..always leave a filter on Borras..best bashing a £20 filter than a £400 lens.
Depends how exposed your element is, but I take your point. I tend to leave them on a couple I've got. Usually a neutral density though, a polarizing filter tends to rob too much light for my liking.
Borras_Hwfa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #105
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Nooooooooooo shhtop....

Dont go sticking no damp cloth in there FFS...you'll just make it worse by smudging everything..it'll be like being in a car in the rain with no wipers...have a bash with one of them womens powder brushes, a really soft one...the ones that are dome shaped..hold your camera upside down above you head so any gunge falls out..Gently..take note..Gently brush Inside and then use the blower again..still with camera upside down..it works for me..stay away from all fluidy crap on cotton buds etc..if the brush fails I'd pay to get it done by a pro..
I didn't use the cloth and water technique! The dust is still there. I'm going to have to get one of these brushes then - none in the house! I'm a little reluctant to get it done by a professional store, only because I think it is time I learned how to do it myself.

Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Done using Corel paint shop pro..

You also have a little smudge somewhere..top centre of your pic slightly left.
Ooh wow, good work! Yep, there is a dust spot on the very top. There are also about three or four on the left side of landscape pictures which are fainter. They don't show up in this picture but in ones which are predominantly sky, they are almost as obvious as the one at the top. I have never had a dust spot like that black one though. It is really bugging me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borras_Hwfa View Post
When you say "blower", do you mean a bulb blower or an aerosol?
By blower, I mean:

The Giottos rocket blower.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #106
Ged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borras_Hwfa View Post
Depends how exposed your element is, but I take your point. I tend to leave them on a couple I've got. Usually a neutral density though, a polarizing filter tends to rob too much light for my liking.
I leave whatever filter on I've used that day..I mention the polariser as its just a great everyday filter which I tend to use most of the time...I forget they are on to be honest but if I think on I will take it off for Indoor shots..if I've been shooting spooky infra red shots around parks or whatever with my Hoya R72 I will forget thats on..but change it to my polariser for everyday use when I realise what filter is on the lens..Whatever kind of filter,apart from Indoors if I think on,theres always a filter on my 3 lenses to protect the glass behind it.
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #107
Ged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
Thanks for the advice! ..Ooh wow, good work!..

My pleasure Erebus555..best of luck.
Old August 27th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #108
Medo

Likes (Received): 372

Nikon yesterday announced the D90, the replacement for the D80. The most interesting thing about this camera is that is can record HD video, yes you heard that correctly, a DSLR that can shoot video.
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #109
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 41

u can use any lense with the HD video! taking a HD clip with a fisheye lense, thats kool!
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #110
T0M
Scousish

I was just going to post this scoop! Trust you to beat me to it Meedy...

More detailed specs here. http://www.bythom.com/

Perhaps I'll hold off on buying a new digital camcorder then?..
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #111
T0M
Scousish

More details here... http://yourphotoarchive.com/laugh.htm

The real stuff: http://chsvimg.nikon.com/products/im.../en/index.html

I'm now kinda gutted I just bought a new D40.. but then, there's no way I would have been able to afford this with a decent lens (it's £700 for the body only!), so I guess it was the right choice to get the good lens and the cheaper camera..
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #112
Medo

Nah you made the right choice Tom. You can get the D90 next year, that'll give you plenty of time to set aside a few extra quid.
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:57 PM   #113
Medo

Quote:
Did you check out the sample movies shot with the D90?
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #114
querido

Quote:
I'm now kinda gutted I just bought a new D40..
I too have recently bought a D40. I don't know much about the whole Nikon range, and I don't know for how long the D40 has been about, but with the current discounts and cashbacks I suspected a new generation was about to be born.
querido no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #115
T0M
Scousish

Quote:
Originally Posted by querido View Post
I too have recently bought a D40. I don't know much about the whole Nikon range, and I don't know for how long the D40 has been about, but with the current discounts and cashbacks I suspected a new generation was about to be born.
I kinda figured the same thing, but then I suppose it meant that we got a good bargain! I'm glad now that I didn't shell out more on a D40x or D60 body with an inferior lens.

Medo I've just seen those movies! Amazing! The idea of being able to use such high quality and variable lenses to shoot short movies is wonderful. The creative possibilities are endless. It also potentially makes lenses even more versatile and a better investment.

I reckon I'll get a cheap digital camcorder to tie me over (and catch all those 'first moments' with the little one) but the D90 is definately on my hit list for next year, by which point it should have dropped in price a fair bit too!..
Old August 28th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #116
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 355

I currently have a Canon Power Shot S3 IS which is quite good but I want to get a dslr camera. I was thinking of buying the D40, but how good is it with the standard 18-55mm lens? I don´t know that much about cameras and lenses.

Is the D40 a good camera even though I don´t have a fancy lens?
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #117
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 2023

Get yourself a Hasselblad
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #118
The Boy David
Registered Win

Likes (Received): 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medo View Post
Nikon yesterday announced the D90, the replacement for the D80. The most interesting thing about this camera is that is can record HD video, yes you heard that correctly, a DSLR that can shoot video.
Sweet mercy! It's time to get saving...

My D50 needs upgrading anyhow
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #119
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 36

Forget cleaning the sensor, I'm getting a brand new piece of kit! Better raid my piggy bank...
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #120
Delirium
Sexy Astronaut

Likes (Received): 960

I'm sure by the time i'd have enough money for the D90 or when it's at a reduced price they'll be something far greater (and money pinching...)

My 18-200mm lens was supposed to come the day before yesterday... fingers cross it comes tomorrow

Tags
photography

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: