daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #141
tmac14wr
Registered User
 
tmac14wr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston / São Paulo
Posts: 571
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaEL- View Post
Right!
Don't you mean left?

I really like the new design. I'm not sure what Jayo thinks a box is, but these certainly aren't boxes. I really like the angles of the buildings. It's almost like an optical illusion because from one angle they're wide and then they're skinny. It almost looks as if they will tip over! The cross bracing does a great job of breaking up the monotony of glass. The interior is amazing too. Very luxurious.

I don't understand why people would be upset about skyscrapers being built in La Défense. It's not Paris, and people wanting the city to stay the same are simply hindering progress. As one of the most important cities in the world, Paris cannot stand still. Just like humans, a city is a living thing and it needs to grow and evolve. Sometimes that means you have to build awesome skyscrapers!
tmac14wr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #142
germantower
i ♥ NY
 
germantower's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,447
Likes (Received): 1153

IMO "reversed" they would look better than now. Just like this image shows it.
[IMG]http://i40.************/2w3tiqd.png[/IMG]

What do you think guys?
__________________
more SHoP less BIG
germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #143
cybec
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 76
Likes (Received): 3

Ouaaaah they are beautiful! What a view on Paris!
cybec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #144
tmac14wr
Registered User
 
tmac14wr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston / São Paulo
Posts: 571
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
IMO "reversed" they would look better than now. Just like this image shows it.
[IMG]http://i40.************/2w3tiqd.png[/IMG]

What do you think guys?
Not bad, but I like them the way they are.
tmac14wr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #145
Martounet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 708
Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
IMO "reversed" they would look better than now. Just like this image shows it.
[IMG]http://i40.************/2w3tiqd.png[/IMG]

What do you think guys?
nice, but less uncommon...
Martounet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #146
Jude12
Architecture Student
 
Jude12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Manila - Sydney - Hong Kong
Posts: 3,074
Likes (Received): 43

nah. i like the real one better.
__________________
My 3D Designs

USTArchitecture
Jude12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #147
Metropolitan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,362
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chjbolton View Post
Even though I don't hate them, sorry not to join the parade; their design is totally unfit for the location as far as architectural harmony goes. Turn it however you want but a 300 m wall isn't very welcoming. From the distance they will only crush the entire district. Nouvel's Signal NOW becomes a problem pretty much for the same reason.
LD seems destined to be bulky and inelegant.
Here's a rendering made by Kael :



The tower shaped as an X on the left of the picture is still only a proposal. Anyway, I don't find the skyline that bulky or inelegant. Those Hermitage twins are quite soaring and light.

As a matter of fact, I think they could become the symbol of the skyline much more than Signal or Phare. And quite frankly, knowing I find them very beautiful, this idea doesn't affraid me at all.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #148
Metropolitan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,362
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
IMO "reversed" they would look better than now. Just like this image shows it.
[IMG]http://i40.************/2w3tiqd.png[/IMG]

What do you think guys?
But they are actually this way !
You just rotate your point of view on the towers by 90° and here's what you see :



That's actually where lies the whole beauty of the building !

All those finding them bulky or boxy should really get a second look on their actual shape...
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #149
tmac14wr
Registered User
 
tmac14wr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston / São Paulo
Posts: 571
Likes (Received): 28

That's so cool! These towers are awesome. I don't understand the argument that these towers will make the skyline unbalanced...who cares? Development is obviously proposed for the other side the Grande Arche.
tmac14wr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 06:19 PM   #150
Jim856796
Registered User
 
Jim856796's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Citizen of the World
Posts: 8,943
Likes (Received): 843

I like the design of the new Hermitage Towers. What I don't like about the design, however, is their location. It is on the location of the uniquely designed, but ugly exterior, Les Daimiers towers. I would probably feel better when the Les Daimiers towers were renovated and given a new facade and relocating the Hermitage Towers proposal elsewhere in La Defense, like in the south portion of the district. If there was a plot in La Defense where there is a building that is not worth saving or there is nothing built on that site at all.

Good-looking towers, bad location.
__________________
I honestly think all development projects must be sustainable and futureproof.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.

Last edited by Jim856796; March 21st, 2009 at 07:01 PM.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:23 PM   #151
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,596
Likes (Received): 906

absolutely amazing! not one, but two towers of this scale in europe .... wow
__________________
Welcome to COLORADO
More than Kobe and Columbine
HD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:32 PM   #152
Metropolitan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,362
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
I like the design of the new Hermitage Towers. What I don't like about the design, however, is their location. It is on the location of the uniquely designed, but ugly exterior, Les Daimiers towers. I would probably feel better when the Les Daimiers towers were renovated and given a new facade and relocating the Hermitage Towers proposal elsewhere in La Defense, like in the south portion of the district. If there was a plot in La Defense where there is a building that is not worth saving or there is nothing built on that site at all.

Good-looking towers, bad location.
Are you kidding? Here is "Les Damiers" :



Those are just awfully ugly buildings totally ruining a wonderful site: La Défense's banks of the Seine. There's absolutely nothing to save in those buildings and nobody will cry because of their demolition.

We have currently a business district of La Défense totally ignoring the Seine, and this Hermitage project will integrate the river banks to the district. How could this be a bad thing? As a matter of fact, those towers need to be built exactly on that location, because La Défense needs a better connection to the Seine if it wants a brighter future.

Last edited by Metropolitan; March 21st, 2009 at 10:17 PM.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 10:05 PM   #153
Jim856796
Registered User
 
Jim856796's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Citizen of the World
Posts: 8,943
Likes (Received): 843

I should have came up with a plan to reclad the existing buildings just because they have a stair-like design. And they should be more difficult to reclad than to tear down. If Les Daimiers needs demolition, why can't you demolish ALL FOUR of these towers?!That post is making me dislike the new Hermitage Towers. Please don't make me hate the new towers.
__________________
I honestly think all development projects must be sustainable and futureproof.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 10:16 PM   #154
Metropolitan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,362
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
I should have came up with a plan to reclad the existing buildings just because they have a stair-like design. And they should be more difficult to reclad than to tear down. If Les Daimiers needs demolition, why can't you demolish ALL FOUR of these towers?!That post is making me dislike the new Hermitage Towers. Please don't make me hate the new towers.
Les Damiers represents the four buildings, and all of them will indeed be demolished. And i think this is great news.

I've never understood why the banks of the Seine are supposed to be the best place on earth when we are inside the City of Paris ; and then should be considered as garbage once in the suburbs.

My brother lives in Brisbane, and the way the banks of the river are laid out there is just beautiful. It made me shameful of the treatment given to the Seine in the Paris area. Finally we have people understanding that we are wasting a unique site in building craps like "les Damiers" on it. I won't cry because of this.

Now if this makes you hate Hermitage, that's your own problem.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 10:34 PM   #155
Jim856796
Registered User
 
Jim856796's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Citizen of the World
Posts: 8,943
Likes (Received): 843

How about we demolish the 7-story Residence de l'Ancre along with the entire complex, and a separate project is proposed for the former site of it and the two taller towers in the existing complex?
__________________
I honestly think all development projects must be sustainable and futureproof.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:00 PM   #156
chjbolton
chjbolton
 
chjbolton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, London, Paris, Munich
Posts: 796
Likes (Received): 75

How about we start being realistic and understand that we're only a bunch of geeks with no impact whatsoever on this or any other project.
We can only state our approval or frustration.
__________________
B O L T O N
chjbolton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:54 PM   #157
Jim856796
Registered User
 
Jim856796's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Citizen of the World
Posts: 8,943
Likes (Received): 843

Okay, that statement would look like something that makes other users here look like cowards. It is making my blood boil. IMHO the Hermitage Towers is a good project and it should not be constructed instead of cancelled.
__________________
I honestly think all development projects must be sustainable and futureproof.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #158
Funfy
Registered User
 
Funfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 460
Likes (Received): 108

Great design!
Funfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #159
Metropolitan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,362
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Okay, that statement would look like something that makes other users here look like cowards. It is making my blood boil. IMHO the Hermitage Towers is a good project and it should not be constructed instead of cancelled.
I don't understand. Firstly, what's the difference between "not being constructed" and "being cancelled", secondly, if you think it's a good project, why don't you want it to get built?
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #160
Metropolitan
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,362
Likes (Received): 11

double post. sorry
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
la défense, paris, paris skyscrapers

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu