daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 5th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #221
matthemod

Likes (Received): 98

It seems that the majority of choices are a bit "M6 heavy" and in my opinion need's to be regionalised more. One in the South West (Brizzle City's new one?) one on the South Coast (New Pompey, or upgraded Soton...) and one in East Anglia (Probably Carrow Road than Portman Road, if only for being slightly more modern).

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #222
Iain1974

Likes (Received): 0

Carrow Road is a good idea. Come on Norwich, lets be 'aving you!!!!
Iain1974 no está en línea  
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:48 PM   #223
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

What do people think about the new spurs stadium? If its the same capacity as the emirates (60k), would it be London's 2nd stadium or would that go to the Emirates?
Kobo no está en línea  
Old December 22nd, 2008, 05:14 PM   #224
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Is there an awesome stadium completed in 2008 in your country?

Nominate it for SSC Stadium of the year 2008
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old December 22nd, 2008, 07:15 PM   #225
RobH

Likes (Received): 10574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post
What do people think about the new spurs stadium? If its the same capacity as the emirates (60k), would it be London's 2nd stadium or would that go to the Emirates?
Depends on transport, FIFA regulations for stadium design, how the ground works as a football stadium, and of course the surrounding area. It's far too early to tell yet. I hope the Naming Rights Stadium gets the nod over 4rsen4l's place, but I really don't know.

It's entirely possible that 4rsen4l may expand beyond 60k anyway so the question may be redundant in the future.
RobH no está en línea  
Old December 22nd, 2008, 07:29 PM   #226
PaulFCB
BANNED

Likes (Received): 262

I don't know about expanding but lets just say Emirates remains at the same capacity till then even though a possible bid for 2018 could be one more reason for them to expand.
As much as I am a Arsenal fan, i wouldn't care if the Spurs Stadium would host, because after all, in my conception, when national team duties come, any rivalry between clubs should be forgotten and in Romania this is a problem as long as the national team coach is a close partner to a owner of a club and former player at that club that takes mediocre players to the national teams when he has better options elsewhere.
So the same thing about Arsenals/Tottenhams stadium. In my opinion Emirates is a better option from the start, its position in the city is way better then Tottenham, I remember i only needed the first 2 zones in the Oyster Card to get to Emirates and Stamford Bridge while for the others more zones.
So I don't think it will be a difference between the stadiums but the area seems better for Arsenal.
PaulFCB no está en línea  
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:14 PM   #227
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3240

I'l echo Paul's comments that the only important thing is that the second London site is a club stadium, no matter the club. Recent articles suggest they may fall short of 60k capacity and/or FIFA's ideal field dimensions and width from the pitch so as to make the stadium a tighter configuration for their own fans. Semantics, but something the FIFA folks would consider.

But it's tough to place bets right now considering the s**** stadium remains just a concept. Until that product is realized and proven otherwise I'll hold fast Arsenal will have the largest FIFA-ready facility among London's clubs.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 11:44 PM   #228
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul the Gunner View Post
So the same thing about Arsenals/Tottenhams stadium. In my opinion Emirates is a better option from the start, its position in the city is way better then Tottenham, I remember i only needed the first 2 zones in the Oyster Card to get to Emirates and Stamford Bridge while for the others more zones.
Millwall, QPR and Fulham are in Zone 2 as well.

I actually wouldn't care which ground is chosen as long as the govt doesn't spend public money on transport links for World Cup venues while other grounds are left behind.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:58 AM   #229
PaulFCB
BANNED

I really didn't think of Millwall, Queens Park Rangers...maybe Fulham...cause they were playing versus Arsenal that weekend, but no chance to get the tickets.
PaulFCB no está en línea  
Old January 8th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #230
Kobo

What does everyone think would be England's worst possible bid to put forward.
Kobo no está en línea  
Old January 8th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #231
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Worst possible? Interesting concept... Are we talking about the worst bid that England would realistically put together? Or are we talking about 8-10 awful stadiums geographically spread around the countries less attractive spots?
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old January 8th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #232
RobH

All games to be played at the Withdean?
RobH no está en línea  
Old January 8th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #233
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3240

Quote:
One with the following conditions, in which case they may seriously consider sitting this round out:

- Assume Iberian and Belgium/Netherlands bids recieve 100% commitment for funding and development from their govts.

- By 2018 Anfield (the current one) remains the best venue option in Liverpool and Villa Park cannot be upgraded.

- Neither of the central communities of Leeds, Nottingham and Sheffield can devise something better than a modified, 40-45k venue.

- Neither Sunderland nor Newcastle can upgrade their venues.

- More than 2 min. capacity venues in places like Bristol, Ipswich and Portsmouth.

Currently England lacks the distribution of high quality, larger stadiums to compete with an Iberian bid. Too many decent stadia clustered together at the moment. This changes if Liverpool's new stadium comes through, Villa Park sees improvements and they can find another 50k+ stadium among the likes of Leeds, Nottingham, etc. So while they remain potentially an ideal host much of that right now hinges on clubs coming through with their stadium plans.

IMHO, anyway.
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #234
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

I'd like to think that if the English committee are seriously committed to this:

(1) we'll finally see the City of Birmingham stadium going up,
(2) it'll be the nudge that puts the Stanley Park development go forward. Failing that, the Everton stadium will happen and the blue half of the city will be able to taunt the reds about having hosted TWO world cup tournaments!
(3) Bristol and Portsmouth will both be 'assisted' with the expansion of existing plans.
(4) Sheffield United will use it, in conjunction with all the cash West Ham are about to give them, as an excuse to radically expand Bramall Lane (which I'd love to be part of the bid due to it's historical status).
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:37 AM   #235
JYDA

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
All games to be played at the Withdean?

LOL
JYDA no está en línea  
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:30 AM   #236
Kobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Worst possible? Interesting concept... Are we talking about the worst bid that England would realistically put together? Or are we talking about 8-10 awful stadiums geographically spread around the countries less attractive spots?
It can be however you interpret the question. How İ see it would be bad geographıcal spread, wıth mınımal expansions and few new stadiums from todays current football stadiums. Whıch ones would you pıck?
Kobo no está en línea  
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #237
plasticterminator

The simple fact is if England win the bid it will be down to the league status of the respective clubs at the time of development plans becoming concrete. Since the award of the finals is within 2 years the status of the contenders can only be as follows under normal circumstances and within the realms of reality.

1 CONFIRMED
Wembley- Final, SF-QF Group games
-no change here as wembley development status does not rely on a clubs position and its already a new build with 90,000 capacity and 1966 and all that this will host the final unless a ufo lands and destroys it. It gets the nod for a semi also because i think the fa will want to set up the draw so England can play all their games at wembley similar to euro 96 which did work quite well. I could be wrong and if i am then the 2 semis would be old trafford and new anfield.

2 CONFIRMED
Old Trafford- SF-QF Group games
-Man utd are still going to be one of the top three clubs in England for the next 10 years and ot will probably be expanded by about another 5000 taking it past the 80,000 mark. With its history, location etc etc this will without doubt be the number 2 venue for the tournament.

3 CONFIRMED
Arsenal-Group games
-Arsenal are unlikely to be anywhere other than where they are now in 2 years time and so with there stability excellent venue and capacity this will be Londons second venue and a group stage venue. It will miss out on qf status due to being in London.

4 CONFIRMED
Villa Park-QF-Group games
-this is where it gets interesting! For sure the midlands are going to have a venue and Englands second largest city is not going to miss out on a major slice of the world cup action which is why it gets the nod for a QF berth. There is talk of a 'Birmingham stadium' but lets face it Birmingham and Wolves are not going to be in any kind of position to develop and construct a 50,000 seat stadium within the next 6 years. Villa are improving all the time have a fan base that can fill a 50,000 seater providing they remain in the top 4

5 CONTENDER
St James Park-QF-Group games
-the issue here is not if the North east gets a venue because it will but which venue will get the nod and will it get the final QF berth? Its a difficult one because if Newcastle were a top three side and a regular champ league entrant then no one is in doubt they could consistently attract more than there current capacity say 60,000. But and its a big but the way the ground has been developed means there is no further scope for taking the capacity into the realms of 60k +. With the current plan just to survive and no major overseas investor interested in the club (it was on the market for 6 months with no interest) then a small redevlopment is the best we can hope for in the next 5 years.

6 CONTENDER
Stadium of Light-Group games
-very unlikely to have further redevlopment from is current 48,000 due to the clubs status and the fact that empty seat syndrome will be forefront in the clubs mind post world cup.

7 CONTENDER
New Anfield-QF-Group games
-a straight battle between the north east(newcastle) and Liverpool for the final QF berth. The difficulty here is predicting what will happen with the new stadium and what will be its final capacity. If everything goes well and the stadium gets underway within the next 24 months with a capcity of 60-75k then without doubt this will be the qf venue.

8 CONTENDER
New Goodison-Group games
9 CONTENDER
Bramall lane-Group games
10 CONTENDER
Elland road-Group games
11 CONTENDER
Hillsboro-Group games
12 CONTENDER
New Portsmouth- Group games
12 CONTENDER
New Notts Forest- Group games
plasticterminator no está en línea  
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #238
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2725

What will happen if new Spurs one is +60,000

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea  
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #239
RobH

I'd say St James', a venue you've listed as a contender, is more of a certainty than either the Emirates or Villa Park, venues you've listed as confirmed.
RobH no está en línea  
Old January 10th, 2009, 02:38 AM   #240
PaulFCB
BANNED

Wembley should not host a SF and the Final, it's not quite fair for the others and after all this is the World Cup and not the Olympic Games. The 4 final matches should be awarded to 4 different stadiums if not cities.

I would see it more fair like this:

1.SF Old Trafford/New Anfield Road
2.SF Newcastle/Sunderland ( North )
3.3rd place match The other stadium in London or Birmingham Villa Park ( it's the 2nd city in England ) if not then a mix up between the 3 options though I bet everyone would choose a SF
4.Final clearly on Wembley.

---> You missed the Round of 16

Probably you're thinking of Wembley as the host of all England matches, lets say...fair enough! Even though again, totally not fair for others...in this case England would play all 3 group games at home and ONLY in case it wins its group it will play the R16, QF, SF on Wembley so in case someone sends them 2nd or even eliminates them from the group stage, the winner has the chance of playing all it's games on Wembley!?!? How would it be Argentina, France or Germany?
PaulFCB no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018