daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old March 10th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #641
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchieTheGreat View Post
I think there are two reasons that over looked in the Premier League becoming the dominant league in the world.

Britain up until the 50's /60's still had an Empire which British culture, including sport, were well publicised. This gave clubs in the English leagues overseas publicity right from the start.

The BBC world service broadcasts English Football radio coverage and results round the world and has been doing for over 50 years.

What these two things have done is that when live TV coverage happened there was already a market for the Premier League round the world. This doesn't just work for Premier league teams. A lot of people round the world will have heard of Blackpool, Preston North End and Notts County. How many people not from Italy could name an Italian 4th division team?

1. Blackpool and preston north end are in the 2nd tier. I'm sure lots of people can name 2nd tier italian teams. Bari, Parma etc

2 Blackpool, preston and NOtts county are all historic names in english football who have played in the top flight. In notts county's case, in the last 20 years. Historic Italian teams tend to all be in serie A especially atm, italy has a far shorter and less even footballing history

3. It is clear that people around the world could name as many italian 4th division teams as english. because, i doubt many people would know who is in the fourth division and i doubt people around the world have heard of Rochdale or Lincoln city. Same as tin pot italian clubs.

4. The empire theory doesn't account for the majority of South east asia and south america and Francophone africa, where the biggest upsurge has come from
bigbossman no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #642
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 10

whether COMS would be used - who knows (although recent press coverage has speculated that both OT and COMS may feature in the bid)...

(w/ thanks to Gherkin from the uk stadium section:

Quote:
MAN CITY THINK BIG
Plans to make Eastlands 65,000-seat stadium

MANCHESTER CITY are ready to take a major step towards becoming a world superpower by raising their stadium capacity to 65,000.

The project to make Eastlands the second biggest ground in the Premier League could be completed by the 2011-12 season. The stadium currently holds just under 48,000. Old Trafford seats 76,000.

A source said: “There have been rumours floating around the construction industry for a few months that City are looking at how to expand the ground.

“The owners are looking into it but there are a few obstacles to get through before they can get any work started.”

The club’s Arab owners believe building another tier on the stands behind both goals plus some minor adjustments could give them the capacity they want to further their dream of making City a top European power.

But any plans would need the agreement of Manchester Council, which owns the ground.

Long-term City could buy Eastlands outright but owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan would be happy to finance the extra building work in the short term if the council gives the go-ahead.
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/spor...t-stadium.html

fan mock-up posted by jrb:

Noostairz no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #643
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3240

Apart from how the "new" stand comes into the corner, that's a nice mock-up. Would be very nice but... why bother? Citeh are averaging 42k right now and, IIRC, a high of 45k after COMS opened. Thus I'm assuming they don't have a waiting list for season's tickets. Assuming these owners have some business sense, they should continue to develop the side and make plans for the expansion but hold off until after a year or two of sell-outs to drive demand.

Then again, with their resources they can probably skip the part about needing business sense.
Old March 10th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #644
RobH

Likes (Received): 10553

They could, if they wanted, ramp it up to 65,000 and subsidise a fair amount of the tickets - they've got the money.

However, a successful Man City side - one that is looking to qualify for the Champions League - could draw these kind of numbers without ticket subsidies. And it's fairly likely that such a side will exist by 2011/12 i.e. when the stadium could be extended.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old March 10th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #645
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

will doing that at both ends add 18,000? It would certainly look good if that's how they decided to increase..

I think their lower than capacity attendances might be down to season ticket sales and and away fan support. In so far as they might be selling all their available season tickets, and away fan support might fluctuate as well as floating support. With more season tickets available maybe their crowds will go up. That is speculation of course.

oh yeah and as rob says success breeds glory hunters
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #646
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
oh yeah and as rob says success breeds glory hunters
Except at Chelsea, I'm told. They're all long-time die-hards at Stamford Bridge.
Old March 11th, 2009, 02:08 AM   #647
Shinjuku

Likes (Received): 0

hello everybody, i'm french from marseille, i'm 18 and i would like to make an english penpal who could talk with me on MSN messenger. i'd like to improve my english. I'm a football fan and i would like to talk football with english.I love barclay's premier league.
I know this site is not a a site to make friends, but i didnt find any person.
if you are interressed please answer me on this thread.=) thank you
Shinjuku no está en línea  
Old March 11th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #648
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

NooStairz said he will - PM him
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old May 17th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #649
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

Hey everyone, I read this article today on England's 2018 world cup arguing for Milton Keynes to be part of the bid. Here is the article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...018-bid-venues

What does everyone think about Milton Keynes being part of a bid?
Kobo no está en línea  
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #650
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Not happening.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #651
ben77

Likes (Received): 444

Milton Keynes is a shit hole. I doubt the FA would want fans or press from other countries to visit the place. I think that they just have to allow them to bid to be polite. The ground is definitely better than most of the new grounds in this county though..

I have heard that Forest will be releasing designs of their new ground in the late summer. Although i'd rather we stayed where we are and rebuilt the main stand (which would create a great looking stadium close to town and along the banks of the Trent) perfect for the world cup. I think the council have got even bigger ideas and want us to move to some sort of "dedicated sports city" area. I have heard that the plans incorporate a large amount of steel work creating the Forest "Tricky Tree" emblem (sounds pretty dodgy)!
ben77 no está en línea  
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #652
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 236

Its good news that the cities are wanting the games. Fans seem pretty up for the games too.

Im a Sheffield Wednesday fan and the bickering over which stadium in Sheffield should get the WC games if the bid wins is only just beggining.
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #653
Jizzy
Royal Pimp

Likes (Received): 1

England for 2018 for sure.

Oz to get 2022.
Jizzy no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #654
LandOfGreenGinger

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
THE ROAD TO 2018
The Bid Team FIFA's process Host City Selection
England 2018 Host City Selection CHOOSING ENGLAND’S HOST CITIES

England has many excellent football stadiums in cities spread across the country. Fifteen cities have so far applied to be considered for inclusion in the Bid Book as an Applicant Host City.

After a competitive process and detailed inspections by the England 2018 team, approximately 16 stadiums will be selected for inclusion in the Bid Book.

The list of cities selected to be Applicant Host Cities will be announced in December 2009.

THE APPLICANTS
In alphabetical order:
1. Birmingham
2. Bristol
3. Derby
4. Hull
5. Leeds
6. Leicester
7. Liverpool
8. London
9. Manchester
10. Milton Keynes
11. Newcastle
12. Nottingham
13. Portsmouth
14. Sheffield
15. Sunderland
Notable absentees are:

Middlesbrough
Norwich
Ipswich
Wolverhampton
Southampton
Plymouth
Coventry
LandOfGreenGinger no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #655
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandOfGreenGinger View Post
Notable absentees are:

Middlesbrough
Norwich
Ipswich
Wolverhampton
Southampton
Plymouth
Coventry
Agreed. Still time to submit bids but I was surprised to see both Ipswich and Norwich absent from the list. Especially given the calls for a nice "geographic spread" across the country. I realize that's not the most populous part of England, but still.

Wolverhampton and Coventry probably assume they'll be muscled out just by proximity to Birmingham, a certain host. Bristol appears better poised to represent the southwest so Plymouth may not put forth the effort. And while Middlesbrough would serve the "spread" better than using both St. James and the SOL, knowing that one of those two is certain and that Hull is growing more and more likely an option, the competition for Middlesbrough is growing stronger and stronger. (I often wonder if they'll ever be able to outgrow their namesake! ) And lastly, how many of the Leeds/Sheffield/Nottingham/Derby quartet will make the cut?!

Nice to see the race now engaged in earnest. Curious to see what evolves from the other bidding nations, but mostly hopeful to see what this does to help English soccer climb closer to Germany in boosting attendance figures. Definitely need a few more clubs finding ways to host 40k+.
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #656
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

My early predictions:

London
Manchester
Liverpool
Birmingham
Newcastle/Sunderland (one of)
Bristol
Portsmouth
Nottingham/Derby (one of)

Assuming London hosts two venues that leaves three more communities needed, with Leeds, Sheffield, Middlesbrough, Hull, Ipswich and Norwich among the major metros still on the table. Leeds and Sheffield certainly evoke more soccer pedigree than the others but the idea of spreading the games around suggest Hull and Middlesbrough might be given the call.

Question: To what degree would the selection committee pass over a Leeds (or Nottingham, or Sheffield...) in hopes that those communities would see investment in their venues regardless of the WC? I'm wondering if they might try to use this opportunity to stir enthusiasm elsewhere and trust the local support for such clubs might see them through and ultimately yield better venues across the nation.
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #657
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 273

These are my choices about cities and matches.

Birmingham: B3-B4, H1-H2, D4-D2, C2-C3
Derby: A3-A4, F3-F4, D4-D1, G2-G3
Leeds: C2-C3, D1-D3, G4-G2, F2-F3
Liverpool: B1-B2, H3-H4, A4-A1, F4-F1
London (emirates stadium): F1-F2, B4-B2, H1-H3, E2-E3
Manchester (Old Trafford): C1-C2, A1-A3,E1-E3, B4-B1
Nottingham: E1-E2, B1-B3, F4-F2, G4-G1
Newcastle: E3-E4, A4-A2, H4-H2, C4-C1
Porstmouth: D3-D4, C4-C2, G1-G3, B2-B3
Sheffield: G3-G4, E4-E2, D2-D3, H4-H1
Sunderland: D1-D2, C1-C3, A2-A3, E4-E1
Wembley: A1-A2, G1-G2, F1-F3, H2-H3

A1: England
CaliforniaJones está en línea ahora  
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #658
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

After reading The Guardian's quick review of each community I'm leaning this way.

London (2)
Manchester
Liverpool
Birmingham
Newcastle/Sunderland (pick 1)
Leeds
Sheffield
Nottingham
Bristol
Portsmouth
Hull

It's a bit crowded in the middle of the country but maybe the thinking will be those folks will also be within easy drive of each other and regional attractions. Perhaps Middlesbrough, Ipswich or Norwich will replace Hull or Nottingham, but considering the ability of each community to play off being an ideal host I think this allotment does pretty well of putting visitors in nice places with things to see/do and will feature decent venues. Especially since Leeds, Nottingham and Sheffield all have reason to believe their grounds will be more than the min. capacity and would be well used after the event. Thus, assuming we see no other yet-unpromoted expansions or developments:

90k Wembley
60k Emirates
76k Old Trafford
70k Stanley Park
52k Villa Park
50k St. James
50k Nottingham's new ground
45k Elland Road upgrade
45k Sheffield venue
42k KC Stadium
42k Bristol City new ground
40k New Portsmouth ground

Unfortunately I don't see anything else popping up in the 50-60k range, but at least several of the newer developments could contribute to substantial club and league attendance improvements. Not to disparage the likes of Wigan and WBA, but having the likes of Leeds and Nottingham in the Premiership with 50k venues would make for much more entertaining atmospheres.
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #659
JimB

Likes (Received): 4851

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJones View Post
These are my choices about cities and matches.

Birmingham: B3-B4, H1-H2, D4-D2, C2-C3
Derby: A3-A4, F3-F4, D4-D1, G2-G3
Leeds: C2-C3, D1-D3, G4-G2, F2-F3
Liverpool: B1-B2, H3-H4, A4-A1, F4-F1
London (emirates stadium): F1-F2, B4-B2, H1-H3, E2-E3
Manchester (Old Trafford): C1-C2, A1-A3,E1-E3, B4-B1
Nottingham: E1-E2, B1-B3, F4-F2, G4-G1
Newcastle: E3-E4, A4-A2, H4-H2, C4-C1
Porstmouth: D3-D4, C4-C2, G1-G3, B2-B3
Sheffield: G3-G4, E4-E2, D2-D3, H4-H1
Sunderland: D1-D2, C1-C3, A2-A3, E4-E1
Wembley: A1-A2, G1-G2, F1-F3, H2-H3

A1: England
Bristol is almost certain to be one of the chosen cities. So one of Newcastle, Sunderland, Nottingham, Derby, Leeds or Sheffield will miss out.

As Gunnerjacket says, Hull is another option.
JimB está en línea ahora  
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #660
JimB

Likes (Received): 4851

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
After reading The Guardian's quick review of each community I'm leaning this way.

London (2)
Manchester
Liverpool
Birmingham
Newcastle/Sunderland (pick 1)
Leeds
Sheffield
Nottingham
Bristol
Portsmouth
Hull

It's a bit crowded in the middle of the country but maybe the thinking will be those folks will also be within easy drive of each other and regional attractions. Perhaps Middlesbrough, Ipswich or Norwich will replace Hull or Nottingham, but considering the ability of each community to play off being an ideal host I think this allotment does pretty well of putting visitors in nice places with things to see/do and will feature decent venues. Especially since Leeds, Nottingham and Sheffield all have reason to believe their grounds will be more than the min. capacity and would be well used after the event. Thus, assuming we see no other yet-unpromoted expansions or developments:

90k Wembley
60k Emirates
76k Old Trafford
70k Stanley Park
52k Villa Park
50k St. James
50k Nottingham's new ground
45k Elland Road upgrade
45k Sheffield venue
42k KC Stadium
42k Bristol City new ground
40k New Portsmouth ground

Unfortunately I don't see anything else popping up in the 50-60k range, but at least several of the newer developments could contribute to substantial club and league attendance improvements. Not to disparage the likes of Wigan and WBA, but having the likes of Leeds and Nottingham in the Premiership with 50k venues would make for much more entertaining atmospheres.
It's a fair bet that a few of those stadiums will be considerably bigger by 2018 or 2022 - especially once they are chosen as WC venues:

Old Trafford - 76K--------> 90-95K
St James Park - 52K------> 60K

I'd be very surprised if either of those fails to materialise.

Emirates - 60K --------> 70-75K?

That's also very possible.

New Anfield / Stanley Park - isn't that 72-73K?

And the new Elland Road will, I reckon, be at least 50K. There hardly seems to be any point increasing capacity by a mere 5,000.

It will also be interesting to see whether FIFA are prepared to allow the use of more than 12 stadia. For instance, I've seen a couple of articles that have Twickenham down as one of the stadiums entered in the initial bid venues. The new White Hart Lane and whatever stadium Chelsea might have by then too. Also the new Everton stadium and Eastlands.

There's no reason why FIFA couldn't allow England to showcase all its best stadia. So rather than St James' Park, say, hosting three games, it could host two and the Stadium of Light could host the third game in the north east.

Probably won't happen but it would make the distribution of games even more egalitarian.
JimB está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018