daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 10th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #721
NMAISTER007
Euro 2012 Poland-Ukraine

Likes (Received): 4

I don't remember England hosting a championship in a while, they should host the world cup, England are ready to host this tournament.

Possible cities:

London (wembly, emirates and olympic)
Manchester (old trafford and city)
Newcastle
Birmingham
Southampton
Liverpool (Anfield and goodison)

They might build a few more stadiums, but if England win this bid, then these are the possible venues.

We Are Ready - Ми Готові - Jesteśmy Gotowi
█████████
█████████
NMAISTER007 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #722
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

^ The last major tournament I can think of England hosting in Euro '96 (If you want to take all of Great Britain into account then Wales and Scotland hosted a few 2007 Rugby World Cup matches).

With regards to Portsmouth, there have been plans for a new stadium, but with the club in financial trouble, is the new stadium still a possibility? If it's not then do you think the local or national governments will pitch in enough money to get the new stadium done so they can host, assuming England is granted host?

Also, The Guardian has a slideshow with 15 potential host cities, along with the pros and cons of each: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/g...ture=350029254
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #723
BS3_RED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMAISTER007 View Post
I don't remember England hosting a championship in a while, they should host the world cup, England are ready to host this tournament.

Possible cities:

London (wembly, emirates and olympic)
Manchester (old trafford and city)
Newcastle
Birmingham
Southampton
Liverpool (Anfield and goodison)

They might build a few more stadiums, but if England win this bid, then these are the possible venues.
If that was the spread of stadiums we used we wouldnt get the World cup.
Fifa has stated that the host venues must be spread around the country.

Also, you seem to forget that only ONE city can have two stadium, the rest can only have one.
BS3_RED no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #724
IcyUrmel

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Now, if a local community wishes to increase their investment that will be up to them. Thus, if the powers that be behind Old Trafford can convince the local governments that they'll see a return on their investment in exchange for help with an expansion they'll be free to explore that.
That's not so easy anymore under EU law. My English is not good enough to give you the legal terms, but recently, EU rules have caused many problems with governmental funds to privat entities. Union Berlin or example was not allowed to purchase the ground of their stadium for the symbolic price of 1 Euro (this would have been an illegal support under EU law), the only were allowed to rent it with a long-term contract.
And all the new stadia in Germany that were built with public money are still owned by the communities (like Kaiserslautern, Köln, Berlin, Frankfurt, Düsseldorf). Those clubs that own(ed) the stadiums theirselves could only hope to get minor support, like an improved traffic infrastructure (Munichs Allianz Arena) or public credit guarantees helping to keep the interest rates low.

So I doubt that the City of Manchester will be allowed to support the expansion of OT in the way some people here may expect it. Government might help changing the way of the rail line, they of course can build new stations, tram lines, maybe even parkings. But I don't think they are permitted to help in the expansion itsself.
IcyUrmel no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #725
IcyUrmel

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS3_RED View Post
If that was the spread of stadiums we used we wouldnt get the World cup.
Fifa has stated that the host venues must be spread around the country.

Also, you seem to forget that only ONE city can have two stadium, the rest can only have one.

Is this really an official rule? I have never seen anything official, just the usual explanations that it must be so as it was handled that way in the past. Yes, of course there has not been more than one city with two world cup stadia since 1990 (but before in Mexico even three cities!), but why? For legal reasons, or simply for practical ones?

In case this was an official and strict rule, wy does Australia apply for a WC then? Are they willing to build oversized stadia in Cairns, Gosford or whereever, while some high class venues in Sydney or Melbourne keep "no-go-areas"? I don't think so.

So could anybody please confirm the existance of such a "rule"? Otherwise I would regard it as a SSC legend.

To make it clear, I do not expect any city except London to have more than one WC Stadium, but not because of any questionable legal request, but simply because FIFA generally prefers a wide spread of venues.
And England should have no problems providing 11 WC cities.
IcyUrmel no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #726
CharlieP
Tax avoider

Likes (Received): 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
^ The last major tournament I can think of England hosting in Euro '96 (If you want to take all of Great Britain into account then Wales and Scotland hosted a few 2007 Rugby World Cup matches).
What about the 1999 Rugby World Cup?
CharlieP no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #727
CaliforniaJones

Likes (Received): 259

I have a list of english cities and stadiums for a world cup.

London-Wembley (final)
London-Emirates stadium (3rd place playoff)
Manchester-Old Trafford (semi-final)
Liverpool-New Afield (semi-final)
Birmingham-rebuilt West Ham stadium
Newcastle-St James Park modernized
Sunderland
Leeds
Sheffield
Nottingham
Portsmouth
Leicester

I consider cities with clubs in PremierLeague.
CaliforniaJones está en línea ahora  
Old July 13th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #728
RobH

Likes (Received): 10343

Quote:
Not sure about that one! I mean, I know the East End's a bit of a dump, but moving to Birmingham would hardly be an upgrade.

RobH no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #729
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3206

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
With regards to Portsmouth, there have been plans for a new stadium, but with the club in financial trouble, is the new stadium still a possibility? If it's not then do you think the local or national governments will pitch in enough money to get the new stadium done so they can host, assuming England is granted host?
Portsmouth's following and finances remain stronger than nearby Southampton. Given that the organizers practically need to have a host site on the south coast the conditions are all but tailor made for Portsmouth to serve as a host-site if they can must the resources to have a viable facility.

Presumably the club will be at the least renovating the current ground to up capacity near/over 25k, provided they can sustain Premiership level without breaking the bank. Then, if the new ownership (another wealthy oilman from an Arabian nation) does come about, then he's suggested he'll build a new ~ 35k facility as quickly as possible, as the odds are that expense could easily be recouped by increased valuation and revenues for the club.

Should all this fail then Southampton's St. Mary's venue would become a viable option but would need almost full government funding to be renovated, something the government would like to avoid.
Old July 13th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #730
Chimaera

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Not sure about that one! I mean, I know the East End's a bit of a dump, but moving to Birmingham would hardly be an upgrade.

Maybe Californiajones got Villa and Hammers mixed up because of the team colours...
Chimaera no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #731
Alix_D

Likes (Received): 49

It has to be Villa for Birmingham, classic ground.
Alix_D no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #732
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieP View Post
What about the 1999 Rugby World Cup?
Haha, yeah that too. This is what happens when an American tries to remember things about rugby.
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #733
pixel2008
since 2008

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

That is actually a good idea. Do you know how much money do you have to spend in London for a plot of land where a new stadium could be built?
pixel2008 no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #734
CorliCorso

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyUrmel View Post
So I doubt that the City of Manchester will be allowed to support the expansion of OT in the way some people here may expect it. Government might help changing the way of the rail line, they of course can build new stations, tram lines, maybe even parkings. But I don't think they are permitted to help in the expansion itsself.
Sports clubs (as companies) have benefitted a lot down the years through funding from the National Lottery, or funds like the Football foundation, which is specifically for modernisation of football grounds. So there will be ways to bend any such rules, especially when there's pressure 'from above' if you will.

(By the way, I'm not talking about OT specifically here, I'm suggesting there may be central funding for most projects, whether they're new builds or partial redevelopments)
CorliCorso no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #735
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

*pedant alert*

West ham don't play in the East end!!
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old July 21st, 2009, 08:13 PM   #736
ryebreadraz

Portsmouth's sale finally went through, which is big for England's bid. With spread being key for them and the need to have a stadium hosting in Portsmouth's region, this sale makes it far more likely that Pompey get their new stadium and host in 2018.
Old July 21st, 2009, 08:40 PM   #737
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJones View Post
I have a list of english cities and stadiums for a world cup.

London-Wembley (final)
London-Emirates stadium (3rd place playoff)
Manchester-Old Trafford (semi-final)
Liverpool-New Afield (semi-final)
Newcastle-St James Park modernized
Sunderland
Leeds
Sheffield
Nottingham
Portsmouth
Leicester

I consider cities with clubs in PremierLeague.
Your plan has one flaw. Almost half the cities you propose don't have a team in the Premier League.

Last edited by KiwiBrit; July 22nd, 2009 at 09:13 PM.
KiwiBrit no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:20 AM   #738
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBrit View Post
Your plan has one flaw. Almost half the cities you propose don't have a team in the Premier League.
Does that really matter if the stadium's themselves are up to world cup standard?

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:32 AM   #739
ryebreadraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
Does that really matter if the stadium's themselves are up to world cup standard?
I believe he said that because the original poster said he was considering Premier League cities.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:09 AM   #740
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
It doesn't. It is, however, doubtful that a Football League side is able to pay off the investment to lift their ground to World Cup standards.

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018