daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:12 PM   #741
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
I believe he said that because the original poster said he was considering Premier League cities.

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #742
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBrit View Post
Your plan has one flaw. Almost half the cities you propose don't have a team in the Premier League.
hold on one chicken lickin moment, since when did west ham have a stadium in Bham

have i missed something extraordinary in the news a la wimbledon/miltonkeynes? ha ha
brummad no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #743
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17832

INTERVIEW-Soccer-World Cup bid race is toughest yet - England

BANGKOK, July 23 (Reuters) - Competition to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups will be the fiercest ever but the home of the Premier League is the ideal venue for the tournament, according to the head of England's bid.

Andy Anson said the soccer infrastructure and huge domestic passion for the game made England the perfect choice, but he warned against complacency with nine other countries bidding hard for the right to host the tournament.

"We believe we can put on an incredibly exciting World Cup, and we strongly believe we can win this bid," Anson told Reuters on Thursday during a visit to Thailand.

"We have a very compelling case to win but it's incredibly competitive, more than there has ever been for a World Cup. You can't afford to be complacent, we have a nine countries bidding very aggressively."

Australia, Japan, Mexico, Russia and the United States have bid for both the 2018 and 2022 tournaments, along with two joint proposals from Belgium and the Netherlands and Spain and Portugal.

South Korea, Indonesia and Qatar have confirmed their interest in staging the 2022 finals. FIFA will decide on the hosts in December 2010.

BIGGEST RIVALS

England has only hosted the World Cup once, in 1966, and the former commercial director of Manchester United would not be drawn on who the biggest rivals were.

"We can't talk about individual competitors, but that's helpful, because there's no point focusing on any one competitor," he said. "There are so many in the field, it makes you more determined to do a good job."

Although England has bid for both the 2018 and 2022 finals, Anson said the target was to stage the tournament as soon as possible.

"We want 2018 and are very focused on that, we feel we have the stadium, infrastructure and fans, we believe we can put on a great World Cup in 2018 so why would we want to wait until 2022?"

England had learned from the unsuccessful "football's coming home" bid to stage the 2006 finals, Anson said, and was travelling the world to listen to the opinions of FIFA member countries.

POLITICAL INFIGHTING

Despite rumours of political infighting between different sectors of the lucrative English game, Anson said all parties involved had fully backed the bid.

"We've made it our priority, we have to communicate heavily to everyone to make sure we're all in the loop and in the decision-making process," he said.

"I've not met anyone who doesn't want to be on board or support this bid. It's hard to see why England shouldn't have it, we now have to convince the rest of the world."

Fifteen cities are aiming to earn the right to stage matches, including lesser-known soccer outposts like Hull, Bristol, Derby and Milton Keynes, alongside the traditional strongholds of London, Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle.

There will be a shortlist of 64 venues across the country, 32 of which will be selected as base camps for the teams. One aim is to spread the tournament to as many parts of the country as possible, he added.

Plans to build new stadiums for Liverpool, Everton and Tottenham Hotspur, in addition to established arenas of clubs like Arsenal, Manchester United and Newcastle meant the bid had more capital to channel into strengthening other areas.

"It's one of the attractions from this bid from an English point is we don't have to develop anything major," Anson said.

Anson said he also believed the 2012 London Olympics would serve as a launchpad.

"It's huge asset and the six years between is positive because of resources, skills and infrastructure," he said.

"We have a great showcase in the Premier League, great stadiums and fans who are committed and passionate. We have such a fantastic base to build a bid on."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #744
NMAISTER007
Euro 2012 Poland-Ukraine

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS3_RED View Post
If that was the spread of stadiums we used we wouldnt get the World cup.
Fifa has stated that the host venues must be spread around the country.

Also, you seem to forget that only ONE city can have two stadium, the rest can only have one.
Whoops, sorry didn't really know that.

We Are Ready - Ми Готові - Jesteśmy Gotowi
█████████
█████████
NMAISTER007 no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #745
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
INTERVIEW-Soccer-World Cup bid race is toughest yet - England

BANGKOK, July 23 (Reuters) - Competition to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups will be the fiercest ever but the home of the Premier League is the ideal venue for the tournament, according to the head of England's bid.

Andy Anson said the soccer infrastructure and huge domestic passion for the game made England the perfect choice, but he warned against complacency with nine other countries bidding hard for the right to host the tournament.

"We believe we can put on an incredibly exciting World Cup, and we strongly believe we can win this bid," Anson told Reuters on Thursday during a visit to Thailand.

"We have a very compelling case to win but it's incredibly competitive, more than there has ever been for a World Cup. You can't afford to be complacent, we have a nine countries bidding very aggressively."

Australia, Japan, Mexico, Russia and the United States have bid for both the 2018 and 2022 tournaments, along with two joint proposals from Belgium and the Netherlands and Spain and Portugal.

South Korea, Indonesia and Qatar have confirmed their interest in staging the 2022 finals. FIFA will decide on the hosts in December 2010.

BIGGEST RIVALS

England has only hosted the World Cup once, in 1966, and the former commercial director of Manchester United would not be drawn on who the biggest rivals were.

"We can't talk about individual competitors, but that's helpful, because there's no point focusing on any one competitor," he said. "There are so many in the field, it makes you more determined to do a good job."

Although England has bid for both the 2018 and 2022 finals, Anson said the target was to stage the tournament as soon as possible.

"We want 2018 and are very focused on that, we feel we have the stadium, infrastructure and fans, we believe we can put on a great World Cup in 2018 so why would we want to wait until 2022?"

England had learned from the unsuccessful "football's coming home" bid to stage the 2006 finals, Anson said, and was travelling the world to listen to the opinions of FIFA member countries.

POLITICAL INFIGHTING

Despite rumours of political infighting between different sectors of the lucrative English game, Anson said all parties involved had fully backed the bid.

"We've made it our priority, we have to communicate heavily to everyone to make sure we're all in the loop and in the decision-making process," he said.

"I've not met anyone who doesn't want to be on board or support this bid. It's hard to see why England shouldn't have it, we now have to convince the rest of the world."

Fifteen cities are aiming to earn the right to stage matches, including lesser-known soccer outposts like Hull, Bristol, Derby and Milton Keynes, alongside the traditional strongholds of London, Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle.

There will be a shortlist of 64 venues across the country, 32 of which will be selected as base camps for the teams. One aim is to spread the tournament to as many parts of the country as possible, he added.

Plans to build new stadiums for Liverpool, Everton and Tottenham Hotspur, in addition to established arenas of clubs like Arsenal, Manchester United and Newcastle meant the bid had more capital to channel into strengthening other areas.

"It's one of the attractions from this bid from an English point is we don't have to develop anything major," Anson said.

Anson said he also believed the 2012 London Olympics would serve as a launchpad.

"It's huge asset and the six years between is positive because of resources, skills and infrastructure," he said.

"We have a great showcase in the Premier League, great stadiums and fans who are committed and passionate. We have such a fantastic base to build a bid on."

rubbish. England have it in the bag.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #746
Palatinus

Likes (Received): 0

The FIFA WC 2018 will be held in England, while the WC 2022 in the USA.

FIFA doesn't like double applicant nations....
Palatinus no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #747
CorliCorso

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Despite rumours of political infighting between different sectors of the lucrative English game...
First I've heard of it? I mean, you'd normally expect various parties to pull in different directions when it comes to anything to do with English football... but there hasn't been anything like that regarding the bid so far. Sounds like tabloid journalism to me.
CorliCorso no está en línea  
Old July 27th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #748
Chorley Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palatinus View Post

very **** sure there matey... us english do deserve it. We have the fans, the stadia and the league and lets not forget Lancashire invented the game lol.

It will also spur on the long drawn out stanley park for the scousers along with villa parks extension and new stadia in bristol and pompey.

Hey the arabs may have increased COMS to lets say 90,000 seats.. i hate utd lol
Chorley Boi no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #749
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 6732

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palatinus View Post

England have a great chance of getting the WC but I don't think the US will be successful in either bid.
Paul D no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #750
SSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJones View Post
I have a list of english cities and stadiums for a world cup.

London-Wembley (final)
London-Emirates stadium (3rd place playoff)
Manchester-Old Trafford (semi-final)
Liverpool-New Afield (semi-final)
Birmingham-rebuilt West Ham stadium
Newcastle-St James Park modernized
Sunderland
Leeds
Sheffield
Nottingham
Portsmouth
Leicester

I consider cities with clubs in PremierLeague.
From what I've read/heard the cities/stadiums would be:

London: Wembley and Emirates/Olympic Stadium/Twickenham
Manchester: Old Trafford
Liverpool: New Anfield
Newcastle/Sunderland: St.James' Park/Stadium of Light
Birmingham: Villa Park
Southampton/Portsmouth: St. Mary's/new stadium
Bristol: New Ashton Vale stadium
Leeds: Elland Road
Sheffield: Brammall Lane
Leicester/Derby/Nottingham Forest: Walkers Stadium/Pride Park/new ground
Ipswich: Portman Road

That's a pretty decent spread around the country. Of course, it's possible both Sunderland and Newcastle could be used. I understand that Bristol is a certainty if the bid is successful, and the plans are very advanced for a very nice (and quite unique) looking 42,000 seater stadium for Bristol City. I would imagine only one of the midlands clubs would be used, with the Walkers' stadium and Pride Park both able to expand and Nottingham Forest planning a new stadium if required. The one I'm least certain about would be the expanded Portman Road. Other possibilities could be the Madejski stadium at Reading (which can be expanded) and the Ricoh Arena in Coventry.
SSE no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #751
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaJones View Post
I have a list of english cities and stadiums for a world cup.

London-Wembley (final)
London-Emirates stadium (3rd place playoff)
Manchester-Old Trafford (semi-final)
Liverpool-New Afield (semi-final)
Birmingham-rebuilt West Ham stadium
Newcastle-St James Park modernized
Sunderland
Leeds
Sheffield
Nottingham
Portsmouth
Leicester

I consider cities with clubs in PremierLeague.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE View Post
From what I've read/heard the cities/stadiums would be:

London: Wembley and Emirates/Olympic Stadium/Twickenham
Manchester: Old Trafford
Liverpool: New Anfield
Newcastle/Sunderland: St.James' Park/Stadium of Light
Birmingham: Villa Park
Southampton/Portsmouth: St. Mary's/new stadium
Bristol: New Ashton Vale stadium
Leeds: Elland Road
Sheffield: Brammall Lane
Leicester/Derby/Nottingham Forest: Walkers Stadium/Pride Park/new ground
Ipswich: Portman Road

That's a pretty decent spread around the country. Of course, it's possible both Sunderland and Newcastle could be used. I understand that Bristol is a certainty if the bid is successful, and the plans are very advanced for a very nice (and quite unique) looking 42,000 seater stadium for Bristol City. I would imagine only one of the midlands clubs would be used, with the Walkers' stadium and Pride Park both able to expand and Nottingham Forest planning a new stadium if required. The one I'm least certain about would be the expanded Portman Road. Other possibilities could be the Madejski stadium at Reading (which can be expanded) and the Ricoh Arena in Coventry.
I know that Old Trafford is larger and more prestigious, but could the more modern City of Manchester Stadium possibly host? IMO it's too nice of a stadium not to.
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #752
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
I know that Old Trafford is larger and more prestigious, but could the more modern City of Manchester Stadium possibly host? IMO it's too nice of a stadium not to.
OT will probably be expanded to 150,000 by then.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #753
SSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
OT will probably be expanded to 150,000 by then.
There's no chance it will be that big, but it will probably be nudging 90k by then.
SSE no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #754
Luke80

Likes (Received): 4

They aren't selling quite as many season tickets as usual though. Perhaps by the time the world cup comes around, just the southeast and southwest corners will be in (83,000 ish).
Luke80 no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #755
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17832

Britain now hot host for top sports events
29 July 2009
The Canadian Press

LONDON - Not so long ago, the world's top sports events bypassed Britain because of a combination of poor finances and arrogance. Now they can't wait to get a taste of Wembley, Lord's, Old Trafford and Twickenham.

A decade ago, England's bid to stage soccer's 2006 World Cup was a flop and, when Britain was effectively handed the athletics world track and field in 2005, it had to pull out as plans to build a new stadium in North London were scrapped because of insufficient finances and poor transportation links.

What a difference a few years make.

London has the 2012 Olympics, Glasgow will stage the 2014 Commonwealth Games and now England will host the 2015 Rugby World Cup and the 2019 cricket World Cup.

England is also one of the favourites to stage the 2018 World Cup of soccer. Although it faces strong opposition from around the globe, if it gets that too when FIFA votes in December 2010, the next decade will become Britain's greatest ever in terms of hosting international sports events.

Keith Mills, who is on the board of the 2018 World Cup bid and helped to secure the 2012 Olympics for London, said the country was hampered by a perceived arrogance.

``The general impression was that we were an arrogant country who thought we knew it all,'' he said. ``We now go into bids with a very different attitude.

``Rather than telling everyone how great we are, we ask them what sort of competition they want. Listening is the best form of selling.''

The 2015 Rugby World Cup and 2013 Rugby League equivalent were the latest captures on Tuesday and, with grounds already in existence to stage them, Prime Minister Gordon Brown said the nation was ideally equipped to handle all these events.

``The Rugby World Cup is yet another tremendous event to add to the country's decade of sport and another chance to show our nation's passion for sport and what world-class facilities we have to offer,'' he said.

The rebuilt 90,000 capacity Wembley Stadium is one of 11 grounds being used for the rugby championship and will also host the 2011 Champions League final, European soccer's premier club competition.

The home of English rugby, Twickenham now has a capacity of 82,000 while the Rugby Football Union will also use soccer grounds such as the 76,000-capacity Old Trafford, the home of Manchester United, Arsenal's 60,000 Emirates Stadium, Newcastle's St. James' Park (52,000) and Liverpool's Anfield (45,000).

Although it is in Wales, Cardiff's 74,000-capacity Millennium Stadium is another option.

The soccer grounds also play a major part in England's bid to stage the World Cup in 2018 for the first time since England won the title in 1966. England successfully staged the European Championship in 1996 and it was on that basis that it decided to bid for the 2006 World Cup despite having reportedly pledged to support Germany.

The Football Association's bid ended after the first two rounds of voting when FIFA's executive committee gave it to the Germans, just ahead of South Africa. FIFA did not go along with England's campaign that the World Cup should go to the game's inventors.

Ten years on, the tourism industry is looking forward to seeing millions of sports fans heading to the UK to watch the big events staged here.

``Britain will be the sports fans' dream destination in coming years as a golden decade of major sporting occasions draws millions of people from around the world,'' said Sandie Dawe, chief executive of national tourism agency VisitBritain.

``A third of potential visitors to Britain would be very likely to watch sporting events here. We have a real opportunity to raise awareness of destinations with unique links to different sports, of our cathedrals of sport like Lord's, Wimbledon, the Millennium Stadium and (Glasgow's) Hampden Park, and our remarkably varied sporting calendar.''

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2009, 03:15 PM   #756
CorliCorso

Likes (Received): 6

Looks like there'll be a battle for which stadium Sheffield would use - Wednesday have revealed plans to extend Hillsborough to 45,000.

http://www.wednesdayite.com/news/she...-revealed.html
CorliCorso no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2009, 03:37 PM   #757
SSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorliCorso View Post
Looks like there'll be a battle for which stadium Sheffield would use - Wednesday have revealed plans to extend Hillsborough to 45,000.

http://www.wednesdayite.com/news/she...-revealed.html
Personally I think that's a rubbish idea. They have had an incredibly turbulent board room for the last couple of years, and last season averaged 21,000 and even the derby with Sheffield United only drew 31,000. That's 8,000 empty seats for their biggest game of the season. I think they could do with renovating Hillsborough certainly, but I don't see the point of expansion without a sustained period of stability and Premiership football.

I think they should step aside and let Brammall Lane, which is in considerably better condition and already has plans to increase the capacity to around 40k to be the Sheffield stadium.
SSE no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2009, 04:12 PM   #758
Blue Lou

Likes (Received): 5

It's interesting that not many people consider Everton's Kirkby stadium for the World Cup.

One of the reasons given in the Promotional DVD to residents was that the World Cup would be brought to Kirkby.
Blue Lou no está en línea  
Old July 31st, 2009, 09:22 PM   #759
SSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lou View Post
It's interesting that not many people consider Everton's Kirkby stadium for the World Cup.

One of the reasons given in the Promotional DVD to residents was that the World Cup would be brought to Kirkby.
Is it definitely happening though?

Besides, isn't Liverpool's proposed new ground bigger, and nearer the centre of town?
SSE no está en línea  
Old August 1st, 2009, 02:30 PM   #760
Blue Lou

Likes (Received): 5

Liverpool's proposals are 5 miles closer to Liverpool. Although it doesn't look likely either, people have been appointed to look at enlarging Anfield because of the cost of building a new stadium.

Kirkby at the moment is 50/50 - it shouldn't go ahead but it might.
Blue Lou no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018