daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 2nd, 2009, 04:07 PM   #761
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE View Post
Personally I think that's a rubbish idea. They have had an incredibly turbulent board room for the last couple of years, and last season averaged 21,000 and even the derby with Sheffield United only drew 31,000. That's 8,000 empty seats for their biggest game of the season. I think they could do with renovating Hillsborough certainly, but I don't see the point of expansion without a sustained period of stability and Premiership football.

I think they should step aside and let Brammall Lane, which is in considerably better condition and already has plans to increase the capacity to around 40k to be the Sheffield stadium.
I don't.

Hillsborough is, despite aging, in ok nick and needs investment in projects what will provide revenues year round.

The old regime has gone and the boardroom is now very stable. Hillsborough currently holds 39,000, Bramall lane holds just 32k.

Expansion for the lane is conditional on sucess what is not likely to happen (uniteds current positions in finances, loan repayment and failed bids to get back to the premier league adds to all this).

If its Sheffield, its Hillsborough.

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #762
jandeczentar

Likes (Received): 2

My England 2018 World Cup stadium list.

Wembley Stadium, London (Capacity 90,000)
Old Trafford, Manchester (76,000)
Stanley Park/New Anfield, Liverpool (73,000 according to LFC's website)
Emirates Stadium, London (60,000)
St. James' Park, Newcastle (52,000)
Villa Park, Birmingham (51,000 after expansion)
New Forest Stadium, Nottingham (45-50,000)
Elland Road, Leeds (40-46,000)
Hillsborough, Sheffield (40,000)
New City Stadium, Bristol (40,000)

Reserves (because all World Cup bids have back-up venues).

New Everton Stadium, Liverpool (50,000)
Stadium of Light, Sunderland (48-64,000)
City of Manchester Stadium, Manchester (48,000)
Bramall Lane, Sheffield (36-40,000)
Pride Park, Derby (33-40,000 can be expanded)

I have tried to spread the venues out as much as possible. Some (Hillsborough & Elland Road) would need some renovation work. Others (New Forest and Bristol Stadiums) would need England to host the 2018 World Cup to even get built.
jandeczentar no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #763
NMAISTER007
Euro 2012 Poland-Ukraine

Likes (Received): 4

Just as some ppl told me here, only one city is allowed to have 2 stadiums. London will possibly use the wembley and the emirates, but all of the other stadiums must be in different cities.

We Are Ready - Ми Готові - Jesteśmy Gotowi
█████████
█████████
NMAISTER007 no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #764
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 15886

I'm hoping the second stadium in London will be Twickenham.
RMB2007 no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #765
RobH

Likes (Received): 10574

His list doesn't have two stadiums in more than one city. The other list is reserves or back ups.
RobH no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #766
likasz

Likes (Received): 41

Only three things are certain:death, taxes and... WORLD CUP 2018 or 2022 in England
likasz no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 02:09 AM   #767
NMAISTER007
Euro 2012 Poland-Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
His list doesn't have two stadiums in more than one city. The other list is reserves or back ups.
Still, the reserve's might also be used so just a little error.

We Are Ready - Ми Готові - Jesteśmy Gotowi
█████████
█████████
NMAISTER007 no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #768
RobH

Likes (Received): 10574

I don't think so. The reserves will come into play if the main stadium in that city can't host, so I don't think there's any replication.
RobH no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #769
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 416

It's too bad that England won't joint-host with the rest of the U.K. and Ireland.

It'd be nice to see World Cup matches hosted at places like Parkhead/Ibrox, Millenium, Landsdowne Road, Murrayfield, etc..
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #770
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 15886

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
It's too bad that England won't joint-host with the rest of the U.K. and Ireland.

It'd be nice to see World Cup matches hosted at places like Parkhead/Ibrox, Millenium, Landsdowne Road, Murrayfield, etc..
Err...no thanks!
RMB2007 no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #771
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 53

Isn't Old Trafford technically not in Manchester anyway?
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old August 16th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #772
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
Yes, hence the name. They renamed the metro region Greater Manchester, though, so I guess it's now correct.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #773
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Yes, hence the name. They renamed the metro region Greater Manchester, though, so I guess it's now correct.
They never renamed anything... greater manchester was a county created out of an urban blob (Manchester, Salfrod, Bolton, Stockport etc) which straddled two counties as it made more sense. The fact that manchester united play outside the official city boundary (since 1909) is irrelevant as it's just a line on a map.

We don't have metros like you do in america... If we did Manchester and Liverpool would be in the same one...
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #774
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
We don't have metros like you do in america... If we did Manchester and Liverpool would be in the same one...
Its strange how for a world cup in England you could use manchester and liverpool. Yet in australia places like frankston are counted as melbourne and penrith as sydney could not count as a seperate city altough they are a long distance away and run more or less indapendently of the city they are included in. Maybe this is a way the Australian bid could get past the one stadium per city rule by counting places with suitable populations such as penrith, paramatta, Frankston and Dandenong as citys unto themselves.
mvictory no está en línea  
Old August 17th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #775
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7503

Our enemy's bid!

I might sound hypocritical but I seriously hope that England gets the World Cup. If we did, Portugal would just be the shadow of its co-host country, Spain, which is almost five times bigger than us. Spain would get all the merit and glory for the organisation of this event.

Good luck!
Old August 17th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #776
CorliCorso

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
Old Trafford isn't in Manchester in the same way that Stamford Bridge and the Emirates aren't in London.

It's not about city limits, its about conurbations. They don't like multiple venues in the same conurbations because it's much more preferable to have transport, hotels etc spread about.
CorliCorso no está en línea  
Old August 17th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #777
jandeczentar

To Clarify: the reserve list only becomes relevant if one of the A-list venues suddenly cannot fulfill it's obligation to stage World Cup games. The planners have to cover every eventuality. However, the reserve list is almost never used. As to their location, many of the big stadiums in Britain are clustered in a relatively small number of cities. Finding suitable venues in places that do not already have stadiums on the A-list is not that easy.

London is by far the biggest city in Britain, NMAISTER007, and so will almost certainly get 2 venues in the World Cup. The fact that it's the capital only adds to its pre-eminence.

Sorry RMB2007 but I doubt Twickenham will be used as a World Cup venue for 3 reasons. 1 - It's a rugby stadium. 2 - It's in west London, the same as Wembley. 3 - The RFU (which owns Twickenham) has a agreement with the local council to only stage a limited number of big events there per year. It's so that the local residents are not disturbed too much. Hosting World Cup games would probably be a violation of that accord.

England won't joint host with the rest of the UK for 2 reasons KingmanIII. 1 - England is big enough to do it alone. 2 - FIFA probably wouldn't allow a bid with 5 potential hosts (England, Northern Ireland, Rep. of Ireland, Scotland & Wales) and thus 5 automatic entrants into the competition.

You're correct that Old Trafford isn't technically in Manchester Bobby3. It's like Giants Stadium is in East Rutherford, NJ. However, the New York Giants and the New York Jets play there so to most people it's in New York. Likewise Manchester United play at Old Trafford so to most people it's in Manchester.

I suppose in one sense Liverpool and Manchester could be classified as a single entity, mvictory. However, the centre of Manchester is about 34 miles from the centre of Liverpool and on satellite pictures (such as Google Earth) there is enough of a gap for them to be considered separately. Plus, can I get on the local transit network in Manchester and go to Liverpool (or vice versa)? No, they have separate local networks and thus, to my way of thinking, they're 2 distinct cities.
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #778
Luke80

Plus if you ask a manc or a scouser whether they live in the same city, you'll be in trouble!
Luke80 no está en línea  
Old August 17th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #779
jandeczentar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke80 View Post
Plus if you ask a manc or a scouser whether they live in the same city, you'll be in trouble!
...Indeed
Old August 17th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #780
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
They never renamed anything... greater manchester was a county created out of an urban blob (Manchester, Salfrod, Bolton, Stockport etc) which straddled two counties as it made more sense. The fact that manchester united play outside the official city boundary (since 1909) is irrelevant as it's just a line on a map.

Thanks for the schooling in semantics.
krudmonk no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018