daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 18th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #781
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB2007 View Post
Err...no thanks!
Why not? Some of those stadiums are cathedrals of football, others are absolute palaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandeczentar View Post
England won't joint host with the rest of the UK for 2 reasons KingmanIII. 1 - England is big enough to do it alone. 2 - FIFA probably wouldn't allow a bid with 5 potential hosts (England, Northern Ireland, Rep. of Ireland, Scotland & Wales) and thus 5 automatic entrants into the competition.
Wouldn't the entire U.K. count as one entity, though? The only other joint entrant would be Ireland.
KingmanIII no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #782
woozoo

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandeczentar View Post
England won't joint host with the rest of the UK for 2 reasons KingmanIII. 1 - England is big enough to do it alone. 2 - FIFA probably wouldn't allow a bid with 5 potential hosts (England, Northern Ireland, Rep. of Ireland, Scotland & Wales) and thus 5 automatic entrants into the competition.
No way will FIFA allow 5 teams automatic qualification. It is half against joint bids between two countries for partly that reason, let alone 3 or 4 or 5.
woozoo está en línea ahora  
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #783
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 61478

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorliCorso View Post
Old Trafford isn't in Manchester in the same way that Stamford Bridge and the Emirates aren't in London.

It's not about city limits, its about conurbations. They don't like multiple venues in the same conurbations because it's much more preferable to have transport, hotels etc spread about.
Stamford Bridge and the Emirates are both well within the London city-limits.
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #784
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

London should just organize it on its own already.
Slagathor no está en línea  
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #785
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 236

Don't be daft.

Cities capable of hosting;
London (Wembley - 90,000+, Emirates)
Sheffield (Hillsborough - 40,000 - Planned 45,000)
Leeds (Elland Road 40,000)
Newcastle (St James Park - 60,000+ planned)
Manchester (Old Trafford - 75,000+)
Bristol (Ashton Vale - 40,000 planned)
Leicester (Walkers - expansion to 40,000)
Derby (Pride Park - Expansion to 40,000)

All these are good cities and should host games.
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #786
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

Good stadiums. I've been to most of those cities and I would curse Queen and country if my home nation was drawn to play in Leicester. Awful place. Half the fun of attending World Cup matches is that you're on vacation in an exotic or otherwise fun place.

Our (the Dutch) bid faces the same problems of course. Nobody in the history of the planet has ever spoken the words "I can't wait to go to Eindhoven."
Slagathor no está en línea  
Old August 18th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #787
jandeczentar

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
Why not? Some of those stadiums are cathedrals of football, others are absolute palaces.

Wouldn't the entire U.K. count as one entity, though? The only other joint entrant would be Ireland.
No it wouldn't. It should, even according to FIFA's own regulations on the subject, but it doesn't. When international football first started to be played in the late 19th century it was the British who wrote the rules on what constituted a country and what didn't. As a result, the constituent parts of the UK each got their own 'national' team. By the time the rules were changed, the concept of Scotish or Welsh national team was so ingrained that it was kept even though they aren't independent countries. As a result any UK bid for the World Cup would involve at least 4 'nations' (5 including the Republic of Ireland which is a separate entity).
jandeczentar no está en línea  
Old August 18th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #788
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Still don't think that Emirates will feature. Not without a serious plan to accommodate world cup requirements around the venue.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #789
KingsofOmega

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel City Suburb View Post
Don't be daft.

Cities capable of hosting;
London (Wembley - 90,000+, Emirates)
Sheffield (Hillsborough - 40,000 - Planned 45,000)
Leeds (Elland Road 40,000)
Newcastle (St James Park - 60,000+ planned)
Manchester (Old Trafford - 75,000+)
Bristol (Ashton Vale - 40,000 planned)
Leicester (Walkers - expansion to 40,000)
Derby (Pride Park - Expansion to 40,000)

All these are good cities and should host games.
No Liverpool?

If Stanley Park (73,000) is ready on time that would make a great stadium.

If not then Anfield could host, as I don't see that kirkby or whatever stadium going ahead.
KingsofOmega no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #790
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

So do you think the news that Eastlands, Manchester City's football ground are planning to expand from 48,000 to 60,000 would help get this stadium part of the England 2018 bid. Here is the article on the expansion:http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...rade-eastlands
Kobo no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #791
matthemod

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post
So do you think the news that Eastlands, Manchester City's football ground are planning to expand from 48,000 to 60,000 would help get this stadium part of the England 2018 bid. Here is the article on the expansion:http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...rade-eastlands
This is where it would get very delicate, I mean disregarding the whole "Old Trafford isn't in Manchester" thing and just assuming that they are, if Man City were able to boost their stadium to a total similar to that of Old Trafford (which i'm not sure if it is possible),would this choice over Old Trafford be beneficial to the bid overall?

I mean if you think about it, Man Utd are possibly the biggest football club in the world, with the biggest global support...their presence in an English bid would surely be a great bonus to the bid overall, regardless of whether Eastlands could be a potentially better/bigger stadium.

Unless of course they take the "2 stadiums in 1 city" aspect out of London! What a coup that would be!

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #792
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 749

If FIFA guidelines are strictly adhered to and only one stadium is permitted per city then I think Old Trafford would still get the nod.The best English stadiums are in clusters around 4 or 5 cities though so I would like to see FIFA make some compromises.
Also I think Emirates Stadium would be used as the 2nd London stadium. If it doesnt get chosen then maybe the new Spurs stadium would get the nod but at the moment it doesn't have the transport links that the Emirates has.
carlspannoosh no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #793
RobH

Likes (Received): 10574

Quote:
If it doesnt get chosen then maybe the new Spurs stadium would get the nod but at the moment it doesn't have the transport links that the Emirates has.
At the moment it doesn't have the stadium that the Emirates has! We'll see how transport links compare once the stadium's up.

Quote:
60,000 is still 17,000 seats short of Old Trafford so if it's only one Manacher stadium it'll still be the red, not the blue one.
RobH no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #794
CorliCorso

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Stamford Bridge and the Emirates are both well within the London city-limits.
London's city limits encompass about 3 square km. Conurbations and cities are different things. That's why, for the sake of this thread, you wouldn't get away with trying to use two stadiums in the Manchester and Liverpool areas by saying they're not technically in the same city.
CorliCorso no está en línea  
Old August 19th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #795
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Our (the Dutch) bid faces the same problems of course. Nobody in the history of the planet has ever spoken the words "I can't wait to go to Eindhoven."
I once said "I'd like to see Eindhoven." Granted, it was for a football match...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post
So do you think the news that Eastlands, Manchester City's football ground are planning to expand from 48,000 to 60,000 would help get this stadium part of the England 2018 bid.
Magic Eight Ball says... "Outlook not good!!!"

a) I'm still doubtful this scheme will come to pass. That same article emphasizes the point that Eastlands isn't selling out now so it's probable the ROI on any expansion would be abysmally low, if not an outright loss. So while the owners could afford this, they're likely shrewd enough to also that playing in front of more empty seats wouldn't do much for the club's image.

b) As has been pointed out, Eastlands won't be able to supplant Old Trafford as the prestige factor alone means ManU's home ground will be in the mix, even if Citeh are someday matching their average draw (which won't happen). So unless FIFA allows England to have more than one city hosting 2 venues, this won't happen.

I truly suspect this is simply the handlers for Citeh trying to keep their vision in the press and in everyone's mind, much the same way Newcastle spent time and energy touting an expansion of St. James even as the club was struggling. Cheap advertising.
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #796
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 61478

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorliCorso View Post
London's city limits encompass about 3 square km. Conurbations and cities are different things. That's why, for the sake of this thread, you wouldn't get away with trying to use two stadiums in the Manchester and Liverpool areas by saying they're not technically in the same city.
London's city limits encompass 659 square miles.

Stamford Bridge, the Emirates, the Valley, White Hart Lane etc. are all within London city-proper.
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #797
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9956

Bad news for your bid....

A bad remake of "Green Street Hooligans"

I'm sad too see that and as a Paris-SG fan I know the probleme very well...

That kind of violence has already cost you the obtention of world cup.

Last edited by parcdesprinces; August 26th, 2009 at 09:34 PM.
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #798
RobH

Likes (Received): 10574

Unless there are repeats of incidents on this scale between now and the end of next year (and I'll stick my neck out and wager there won't be), this will cause no more than short term damage. Poland would not be hosting Euro 2012 if hooliganism was a big determining factor in choosing hosts. Besides which, even if it were, England is one of the world leaders in dealing with hooliganism and our leagues are now among the safest in world football. FIFA knows this so I don't think they'll let last night cloud their judgement, but they will want to see us acting swiftly and firmly after witnessing what is a blemish on our otherwise very good recent record.
RobH no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #799

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Bad news for your bid....

A bad remake of "Green Street Hooligans"

I'm sad too see that and as a Paris-SG fan I know the probleme very well...

That kind of violence has already cost you the obtention of world cup.
I don't see why this would affect the bid. It is one match out of thousands of domestic games each season, and is only getting airtime because our domestic hooligan record has been so good over the past 15 years.

It is an isolated incident, and FIFA are intellegent enough to know that, despite the media bandwagon.

Far worse happens in many European countries each week.
2020 no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2009, 02:13 AM   #800
Luke80

Likes (Received): 4

Yes far more violence occurs in other European countries, but all of you are forgetting Platini seems to be totally against English football. This is the kind of rubbish excuse he could use.

The police asked for this when they halved the away ticket allocation, meaning they were left to deal with thousands of angry ticketless fans looking to get back at the police outside the ground. This meant the stewards were virtually on their own and powerless to stop the 3 pointless pitch invasions.

It has to be said Millwall were fairly well behaved and it was the West Ham fans who let the side down last night. That said, racist chanting is totally unacceptable.
Luke80 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018