daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 3rd, 2009, 07:11 PM   #821
SouthBank
Amat victoria curam...

Likes (Received): 1

Slightly off the topic of hooliganism... but here's my interpretation of what I reckon England's 2018 bid will end up looking like:

With the final event, in my opinion, looking like this:

It's based on the concept of using 12 stadia in 6 regions, with only London possibly using 2 stadia (which I personally believe it will). Obviously if the bid team decide to use more stadia then things will change.

It is also assumed that the minimum requirement for stadium capacity will be 45,000 rather than the current 40,000.

In terms of last 16, Quarters, Semis and Final, I predict the following:

Just my thoughts anyway... got my fingers crossed for winning this one - will be the final feather in Britain's 'Golden Decade of Sport' cap...

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:12 PM   #822
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Looks great to me and it would have me voting for England if I had a vote. The only change would be to remove the Olympic Stadium and insert Emirates or even the new White Hart Lane because the Olympic Stadium will have been downsized by 2018 or 2022.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM   #823
SSE

Likes (Received): 0

There wouldn't be two stadiums in the south west, so I'd cross Plymouth off the list. Plus, I haven't heard of any plans to increase the capacity of Home Park to anything approaching 40,000 (I'm pretty sure the club doesn't have the money). I would think there would be a more central southern option instead. Possibly Reading (with the plans to expand the Madejski) but much more likely Portsmouth or Southampton.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the new Nottingham Forest stadium taking precedent over Leicester, that is if it actually happens.

Also, I doubt the olympic stadium will still be at 80,000, so the Emirates (which may well have been expanded a little by then) or the New White Hart Lane would be my favourites for the other London venue. I would suggest that they might investigate using Twickenham, but I'm not sure it meets certain FIFA standards and I think Arsenal and Tottenham would kick up a fuss (not that they wouldn't if the olympic stadium was used). My money is on the Emirates.

My only other difference of opinion from that list would be that I don't think a semi-final will be played at Wembley.
SSE no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:43 PM   #824
Luke80

Likes (Received): 4

Twickenham in for Olympic Stadium would be my choice, but it appears not to be viable so I would have the Emirates. Remember that by this time the olympic stadium will have been reduced to 25,000. Besides the view would be crap with that athletics track.

Plymouth can't build a 45,000 seater stadium - they don't come close to filling Home Park as it is.
Luke80 no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #825
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke80 View Post
Twickenham in for Olympic Stadium would be my choice, but it appears not to be viable
twickenham is more vialble than emirates
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #826
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
The transport links to Ashburton Grove aren't great but could be improved rather quickly. Twickenham, however, is difficult to get to. Nothing I would call viable.
Old September 4th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #827
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
The transport links to Ashburton Grove aren't great but could be improved rather quickly. Twickenham, however, is difficult to get to. Nothing I would call viable.
its the lack of space around the venue that could be the issue.

you only need transport links within 1.4km of the venue.

any station right next to or on top of the venue will likely be closed and the second nearest would be used.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 4th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #828
Luke80

Quote:
I was referring to the point made earlier in the thread about the RFU limiting the amount of events taking place. I thought there was some sort of deal being sorted between the FA and the RFU.

Neither stadium is particularly easy to get to, but at least the Emirates is accessible by underground and mainline trains.
Luke80 no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2009, 01:43 AM   #829
Mo Rush

Quote:
I was referring to the point made earlier in the thread about the RFU limiting the amount of events taking place. I thought there was some sort of deal being sorted between the FA and the RFU.

Neither stadium is particularly easy to get to, but at least the Emirates is accessible by underground and mainline trains.
if fifa want twickenham, fifa will get twickenham
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 5th, 2009, 03:10 AM   #830
Luke80

Sounds good to me!
Luke80 no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #831
SSE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I don't think they'll want Twickenham.

I love it as a stadium, but it is a bugger to get to and from. The tube is a long, long walk to Richmond and Twickenham station isn't the best for crowds (although they have got quite good at handling it now). St. Margaret's (I think it's St. Margaret's) is between Twickenham and Richmond on the main line but it's still quite a walk and it's not capable of handling any large volume of crowds.

Besides, I don't think FIFA will care about an extra 20,000 seats. Especially when the Emirates is such a nice stadium and is home to one of Europe's biggest clubs.
SSE no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #832
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:

Quote:
One should also note that England 2015 won't work without the use of Football Stadiums throughout the country. Should the FA want Twickenham, they will get it.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #833
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE View Post
I don't think they'll want Twickenham.

I love it as a stadium, but it is a bugger to get to and from. The tube is a long, long walk to Richmond and Twickenham station isn't the best for crowds (although they have got quite good at handling it now). St. Margaret's (I think it's St. Margaret's) is between Twickenham and Richmond on the main line but it's still quite a walk and it's not capable of handling any large volume of crowds.

Besides, I don't think FIFA will care about an extra 20,000 seats. Especially when the Emirates is such a nice stadium and is home to one of Europe's biggest clubs.
Yes, but emirates has no space around it for sponsors/media/hospitality
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #834
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Yes, but emirates has no space around it for sponsors/media/hospitality
There is space around The Emirates though I havent a clue if it is enough space because I don't have a clue what the FIFA requirements are. How much space is required?
carlspannoosh no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #835
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBank View Post

In terms of last 16, Quarters, Semis and Final, I predict the following:

Just my thoughts anyway... got my fingers crossed for winning this one - will be the final feather in Britain's 'Golden Decade of Sport' cap...

Which stadium would you want to use for the 3rd/4th place match?

I personally think that the semi finals should go to Old Trafford in Manchester and Stanley Park in Liverpool as these 2 clubs are probably the most famous in England, and their grounds are most likely to be the largest in the tournament besides Wembley. I don't think they will use the Olympic Stadium in London, I feel at the moment that Arsenals Emirates stadium would be used, unless Chelsea, Tottenham or West Ham build bigger or more modern stadium before 2018. Twickenham could be used, and it will be interesting to see if it gets selected over one of the London football clubs I mentioned.

In terms of stadiums in the South of England, I don't think Plymouth will be used although it would be nice to play matches in Devon. I would have thought that new stadiums in Bristol and Portsmouth would be selected.

But I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens, I am a little nervous about the Spanish / Portuguese bid as that will be strong.
Kobo no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #836
Luke80

Final: Wembley

3rd-4th place play-off: Twickenham

Semi finals: Old Trafford, Stanley Park

Quarter finals: Wembley, Twickenham, Villa Park, St. James Park

Last 16: Wembley, Twickenham, Old Trafford, Stanley Park, St. James Park, Villa Park, Bramall Lane, Elland Road.
Luke80 no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #837
SouthBank
Amat victoria curam...

Likes (Received): 1

I'd be very surprised if both Stanley Park and Old Trafford were chosen to host Semis given the tiny distance between Liverpool and Manchester. The hotel/transport/flights/security situation would be a nightmare.

I suspect that London, assuming it gets 2 venues, will host every stage of the competition from opening match to final, but also suspect it will host just one game per round after the group stages...

For the 3rd/4th place play-off, which I forgot about in my original post, I'd suggest that assuming Stanley Park is built, either it or Old Trafford will host the game, with the other hosting one of the Semis.

Quote:
There wouldn't be two stadiums in the south west, so I'd cross Plymouth off the list. Plus, I haven't heard of any plans to increase the capacity of Home Park to anything approaching 40,000 (I'm pretty sure the club doesn't have the money). I would think there would be a more central southern option instead. Possibly Reading (with the plans to expand the Madejski) but much more likely Portsmouth or Southampton.
Plymouth has already promised to build a 45,000-seater (I reckon they realise the South-West lends itself well to a bid but is lacking in stadia...). I agree they'll struggle to fill it after 2018, so wouldn't be surprised to see a permanent 30,000-seater, with a large number of temporary seats.

As far as Southampton and Reading goes, they haven't put their names forward as candidate cities, so you can rule them out. Portsmouth is a definite alternative though.

Quote:
Twickenham in for Olympic Stadium would be my choice, but it appears not to be viable so I would have the Emirates. Remember that by this time the olympic stadium will have been reduced to 25,000. Besides the view would be crap with that athletics track.
I agree about the athletics track - far from ideal, but lets not forget that the final of the last world cup was played in an athletics stadium...

I still think it's the front runner as London's second venue - they transport links are superb, there is tonnes of open space around the stadium for fan zones, hospitality etc (indeed some could intentionally be left over from the Olympics). It would also go some way to justifying the expense of the stadium and prevent a lot of inconvenient 'white elephant' headlines for the powers that be, so don't be surprised to see it included...

Twickenham is clearly the better stadium for football, and personally would be my preferred choice, but the transport really is shocking. Emirates and the new Spurs stadium are even better for football and have decent transport links but simply don't have the space around the stadium required by FIFA.
Old September 7th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #838
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

They've said multiple times that the Olympic Stadium will be reduced following the games. Coe said so just a day or two ago and even mentioned the World Cup would not keep them from reducing the stadium. It will not be a World Cup venue.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #839
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 745

Using an Olympic athletics stadium for an English bid would be a shitty idea anyway. England has such a big club football tradition with arguably the most popular league in the world and I think it would be sad if this of all countries couldn't provide a sufficient amount of football specific stadiums for a World Cup.
carlspannoosh no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #840
Luke80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBank View Post

I'd be very surprised if both Stanley Park and Old Trafford were chosen to host Semis given the tiny distance between Liverpool and Manchester. The hotel/transport/flights/security situation would be a nightmare.
They could quite easily take place on different days to ease congestion/security issues. I was just trying to spread games in the latter stages out between the best grounds.

You could have the semi's at Old Trafford and Twickenham and the 3rd/4th place playoff at Stanley Park.
Luke80 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018