daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:08 PM   #941
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

I'm sure better renders will be released if England is chosen as host country. These are just initial ideas.

Remember that Leeds United, who play at the stadium, are currently in the third tier of English football. They need a shed! 50,000+ seats just wouldn't get filled!
Gherkin no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:41 PM   #942
I_live_cement

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorliCorso View Post
Artists impressions of a 50k Elland Road for the world cup bid -

We can't expect our bid to win with rubbish like that, I'm afraid.
I_live_cement no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:13 PM   #943
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3205

Crikey folks, it's two bloody pictures and no listing of formal details! Hardly enough information to pass of such ridicule!! Wait till there is more information about the nuances of the design and something more to go by than simply the general form of the building envelope. To say nothing of respecting the design conditions - This isn't the blank page like most SA stadia or the proposed Stanley Park.

Down, boys! Down!
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:26 PM   #944
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

After the Four Nations final at Elland Road, all I read were complaints of tiny seats and small walkways. It's a relic from the times of little humans.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:50 PM   #945
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

what the 1970s?
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:33 PM   #946
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

That's the dark period of ignorance and savagery before my time, so yes. Leeds may be down the pyramid, but they're a big club in a big city. Get something better done.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old December 3rd, 2009, 03:01 AM   #947
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

I photoshopped this earlier. This would be passable!

although it looks about 60,000 seats!
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #948
OperateOnMe

Likes (Received): 8

It's amazing, that England are such a rich football nation, that there are even third-tier clubs putting their massive stadiums forward (pics above is Elland Road, Leeds United FC currently in Division 2 aka old Division 3 before Premier League was formed).

How many other nation bids can do that?

I wonder which Asian country will get 2022 or will there be controversy
OperateOnMe no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2009, 02:04 AM   #949
bigbossman

how is that amazing, Leeds United are one of the biggest clubs in England. It's not like some small town is putting forward this stadium. It's got nothing to do with being a rich football nation. Leeds metropolitan area is our 4th biggest FFS!

Germany put forward leipzing who were in the 4th tier in Germany at the time. Dusseldorf were past up despite having a state of the art 50,000+ seater and they were in the third tier.

Palermo were in Serie C1 (third division) when their stadium was used in Italia 90, they were in Serie C2 (fourth division) when italy was chosen.
Old December 6th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #950
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

I've got this horrible feeling, that despite potentially having an incredible bid, we will get pipped to the mark by another country (If I had to bet...i'd say Russia or Belgium/Holland) with no other reason other than because the voting body would simply prefer them over us. I hope i'm wrong, but just how stereotypically English would it be to get our hopes up and believe we could attain it....then lose out at the last minute.

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #951
RobH

Likes (Received): 10341

What's wrong with the voting body preferring "them" over "us"? That's why we have a bid process.
RobH no está en línea  
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #952
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperateOnMe View Post
It's amazing, that England are such a rich football nation, that there are even third-tier clubs putting their massive stadiums forward (pics above is Elland Road, Leeds United FC currently in Division 2 aka old Division 3 before Premier League was formed).

I wonder which Asian country will get 2022 or will there be controversy
Leeds were in the Champions League semi-final not long ago. It's not like Swindon will host matches.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #953
Wendigo Wendigo
I'm in your woods

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperateOnMe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
how is that amazing, Leeds United are one of the biggest clubs in England. It's not like some small town is putting forward this stadium. It's got nothing to do with being a rich football nation. Leeds metropolitan area is our 4th biggest FFS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
Leeds were in the Champions League semi-final not long ago. It's not like Swindon will host matches.
I think he was saying it's a testimony to the depth of strength of English football that, even in the third tier, there are teams capable of hosting world cup games. He meant it as a compliment not an insult.
Old December 7th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #954
RobH

True, but it's an oddity, not typical. It overemphasises England's strength and depth saying we have a stadium in the third division that could host with some upgrades; we don't need to do that really.

Last edited by RobH; December 7th, 2009 at 06:27 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #955
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

I think what England needs to do is to make sure the technical requirements are out of the way. All the frills and fuss can be presented after that.

Check every single FIFA requirement, make sure every venue and host city proposal meets these basic requirements to the last letter i.e. don't forget to include a fifa mascot room in the stadium...etc

As great as England is, any other bidding nation can easily suggest that England has "old" obsolete venues that are ill equipped for WC standards i.e. all venues outside of Wembley.

No need for shiny pretty venues. Make sure every single space required inside and outside the stadium is there and marked and allocated. These are as important as the actual seating capacity.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #956
Big Cat

The biggest minus of England's bid is legacy. For example, for Russia the championship would be a huge renovation and rebuild stimulus, while in England everything is already in place.
Big Cat no está en línea  
Old December 7th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #957
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Well many venues may require works that would be a great legacy to the clubs who would use them regularly e.g. Spurs, Bristol, Hull, Elland Road etc.

While existing would require major works to ensure FIFA requirements are met. The modernized venues would then go on to serve the clubs for generations to come.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #958
r0w84

Likes (Received): 0

tomorrow they choose the host cities! Milton Keynes will cause a shock i believe!

....also here are plymouths stadium plans (nice wavy roof!) http://www.pafc.co.uk/page/NewsDetai...905383,00.html
r0w84 no está en línea  
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #959
RobH

Stadiums to be named for England's 2018 World Cup bid

Cities hoping to be part of England's 2018 World Cup bid will find out on Wednesday if they have been successful.

England 2018 will announce which of the 15 cities will be included, with up to 18 stadiums expected to be named.

Birmingham, Bristol, Derby, Hull, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool and London are among the candidates.

Manchester, Milton Keynes, Newcastle/Gateshead, Nottingham, Plymouth, Sheffield and Sunderland also made submissions in November.

The Liverpool bid suffered a blow on the deadline day for applications when the government backed a decision to refuse planning permission for Everton's plans for a new stadium at Kirkby.

The cities all made their cases for inclusion at the end of November, with capital city London proposing four stadiums - Wembley, the Emirates, the 2012 Olympic stadium and Tottenham's yet-to-be-built new ground.

Football League and selection panel chairman Lord Mawhinney will announce the successful cities and stadiums at a news conference, which is expected to start at about 1500 GMT on Wednesday.

As the announcement approached, the government signed financial guarantees of £300m for England's 2018 World Cup bid.

All bidding nations have to sign up to deliver a number of guarantees and England's have been signed off several months ahead of the May 2010 deadline.

Sports minister Gerry Sutcliffe said the financial agreement was another sign the England bid was back on track after some initial problems with claims of infighting among the board.

"It is now united, and the guarantees combined with our offer of a £2.5m loan which is on the table if they want to pick it up, underlines that," said Sutcliffe.

"I think the board moves were right and my concern now is that football will deliver us this bid, as they have to get the votes of the 24 Fifa executive committee members.

"Signing off the guarantees at this early stage puts the bid in good shape."

The guarantees were signed by Prime Minister Gordon Brown and various relevant ministers, while other commitments regarding security, visas and tax were also made.

Fifa obliges bidding nations to sign a confidentiality clause so the exact details of the guarantees are not being released.

It is likely that the tax guarantee is similar to the deal the Government agreed with Uefa in order to stage the 2011 Champions League final at Wembley, where foreign players will be exempted from being taxed on their tournament earnings.

England bid chairman Lord Triesman said: "The guarantees underpin around £300m worth of financial commitment without which it would be impossible to host the tournament.

"This again demonstrates England's desire as a whole to meet and exceed Fifa's requirements and guarantees Fifa the most secure environment possible for the world's biggest sporting event in terms of security, financial, legal and commercial partner delivery."

Link
RobH no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #960
bigbossman

hull, leicester and derby dropped!! oh and brammall lane for hillsborough

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018