daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 16th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #961
RobH

Likes (Received): 10347

The final list:

CANDIDATE HOST CITIES STADIA

Birmingham Stadium:
Aston Villa FC - Villa Park.
Proposed Capacity - 47,300

Bristol Stadium:

Bristol City FC, New Ashton Vale (New build)
Proposed Capacity - 44,000

Leeds Stadium:
Leeds United FC, Elland Road Stadium
Proposed Capacity - 51,240

Liverpool Stadium:
Liverpool FC, Anfield Stadium (Current or new build)
Proposed Capacity - 44,000 (Current) 72,334 (New build)

London Stadiums:

Wembley Stadium
Proposed Capacity - 84,700

Arsenal FC, Emirates Stadium
Proposed Capacity - 60,000

Tottenham Hotspur FC, New White Heart Lane (New Build) or Olympic Stadium
Proposed Capacity - 58,000 or 66,995 respectively

Manchester StadiumS:

Manchester United FC, Old Trafford
Proposed Capacity - 75,979

Manchester City FC, City of Manchester Stadium
Proposed Capacity - 47,717

Milton Keynes Stadium:

Milton Keynes Dons FC, StadiumMK

Newcastle Gateshead Stadium:
Newcastle United FC, St James’ Park
Proposed Capacity - 52,409

Nottingham Stadium:

New Stadium, Nottingham Forest FC
Proposed Capacity - 45,300

Plymouth Stadium:

Plymouth Argyle FC, Home Park
Proposed Capacity - 43,874

Sheffield Stadium:

Sheffield Wednesday FC, Hillsborough
Proposed Capacity - 43,946

Sunderland Stadium:
Sunderland AFC, Stadium of Light
Proposed Capacity - 48,707
RobH está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #962
r0w84

Likes (Received): 0

Milton Keynes! Read my post 3 posts up, i'm like mystic meg!

So if England wins the WC bid will all these cities defently host matches or are fifa going to chop a couple more cities off the list?

....So, was there no Brammel Lane then?
r0w84 no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #963
RobH

The final list:

CANDIDATE HOST CITIES STADIA (pictures of stadium as they'd be in 2018 unless otherwise stated)

Birmingham Stadium:

Bristol Stadium:

Leeds Stadium:

Liverpool Stadium:
Liverpool FC, Anfield Stadium (Current or new build)
Proposed Capacity - 44,000 (Current) 72,334 (New build)

OR

London Stadiums:

Wembley Stadium

Tottenham Hotspur FC, New White Hart Lane (New Build) or Olympic Stadium
Proposed Capacity - 58,000 or 66,995 respectively

OR

Manchester StadiumS:

image hosted on flickr

Manchester City FC, City of Manchester Stadium
Proposed Capacity - 47,717

Milton Keynes Stadium:

(current photo, not as it will be in 2018)

Newcastle Gateshead Stadium:
Newcastle United FC, St James' Park

Nottingham Stadium:

New Stadium, Nottingham Forest FC
Proposed Capacity - 45,300

Plymouth Stadium:

Sheffield Stadium:

Sunderland Stadium:

RobH está en línea ahora  
Old December 16th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #964
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

nice one rob!

I though Villa park was going up to 51,000? and aren't st james and the SOL being expanded??
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #965
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3208

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
I though Villa park was going up to 51,000? and aren't st james and the SOL being expanded??
I'm guessing those represent a slightly downgraded capacity to account for FIFA regulations. ie: Lose some front seats for safety and advertising reasons. But, yes, I recall Villa proposing to break the 50k barrier, as well.

Assuming they can restore some success, I'm sure the folks at Newcastle will talk up expansion again, as well. If they can't get one done for a World Cup then it may not come ever at all!

Other random thoughts:

- Let's hope this spurs the 'pool ownership into some action, as the fans deserves resolution to this soap opera.

- Assuming they stick with 12 venues and baring any pull for London and Manchester to feature 4 or 5 stadiums, it appears Milton Keynes may very well be included in the final mix. Seems a pity an English bid would have to stoop to this, and is surely a smack in the face to Wimbledon fans.

- I'm shocked Hull was dropped, actually. I realize this isn't the ideal candidate city/venue, but given the organizers proclamation to seek a geographical dispersal of venues it made sense to push for something in this metro area. Now, even with Leicester and Derby out of the mix...

- There's still quite a cluster around the central part of the country. Anyone else supposing that Sheffield and Nottingham are competing for one spot?

- Plymouth, everyone! Nary a concept a few months ago and now a likely finalist! Oh, how the folks at Pompey have got to be kicking themselves over what could've been.

- One pundit's projected dismissals if England's bid is successful:
- - City of Manchester Stadium - FIFA sticks to policy and won't pass over Old Trafford
- - Hillsborough - Community of Nottingham wins over community of Sheffield
- - New White Hall Lane - 3 venues in London? I simply can't buy that.

Given this info, I wonder how the SSC community rates the bid now? Lot of venues under 50k and some communities not fully equated with English football lore. Does this adversely impact the bid?
Old December 16th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #966
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
I'm guessing those represent a slightly downgraded capacity to account for FIFA regulations. ie: Lose some front seats for safety and advertising reasons. But, yes, I recall Villa proposing to break the 50k barrier, as well.

Assuming they can restore some success, I'm sure the folks at Newcastle will talk up expansion again, as well. If they can't get one done for a World Cup then it may not come ever at all!
Well they're averaging 40,000 in the second tier and running away with it so it's quite conceivable to think they could fill 60,000 as a mid table premier league clubs

Quote:
Other random thoughts:

- Let's hope this spurs the 'pool ownership into some action, as the fans deserves resolution to this soap opera.

- Assuming they stick with 12 venues and baring any pull for London and Manchester to feature 4 or 5 stadiums, it appears Milton Keynes may very well be included in the final mix. Seems a pity an English bid would have to stoop to this, and is surely a smack in the face to Wimbledon fans.

- I'm shocked Hull was dropped, actually. I realize this isn't the ideal candidate city/venue, but given the organizers proclamation to seek a geographical dispersal of venues it made sense to push for something in this metro area. Now, even with Leicester and Derby out of the mix...

- There's still quite a cluster around the central part of the country. Anyone else supposing that Sheffield and Nottingham are competing for one spot?

- Plymouth, everyone! Nary a concept a few months ago and now a likely finalist! Oh, how the folks at Pompey have got to be kicking themselves over what could've been.

- One pundit's projected dismissals if England's bid is successful:
- - City of Manchester Stadium - FIFA sticks to policy and won't pass over Old Trafford
- - Hillsborough - Community of Nottingham wins over community of Sheffield
- - New White Hall Lane - 3 venues in London? I simply can't buy that.

Given this info, I wonder how the SSC community rates the bid now? Lot of venues under 50k and some communities not fully equated with English football lore. Does this adversely impact the bid?
I personally wish they would've gone with either Norwich or Ipswich. I think Milton keynes nicked pompeys sport, as they are both in the south east region.

Hull is in Yorkshire, there were already two venues in Yorkshire so I'm not suprised. It's a no mark city in my eyes anyway!

I doubt they'd drop sheffield, they used both in Euro 96 and I think all the euro 96 cities are a shoe-in. So it's the 8 Euro 96 stadiums, Bristol, Plymouth a second London venue and then for me it's between sunderland and Milton keynes for the final actual slot.
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #967
kerouac1848

Likes (Received): 1547

If England win are the number of stadiums used going to drop to 12? 15 for England seems a bit much; its more than Germany used and what Brazil proposes, with the former having about 32 million people extra and the latter close to 4 times England's population.

I worry about potentially using just 2 cities to host 5 venues. Since Italia 90 and up to Brazil 2014 (so 7 World Cups) only France and SA have used one city to host 2 venues. England's plan just seems to far out of sync imo. It may be allowed, but I have no doubt that FIFA prefer WC venues to be spread around.

Capacity wise it seems ok though. I think only Spain & Portugal and the USA will claim bigger stadiums, although not too sure about Russia's eventual plans.
kerouac1848 está en línea ahora  
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #968
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 15655

Yes! FIFA will eventually choose which 12 they want from the 15.
RMB2007 no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #969
poxuy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB2007 View Post
Yes! FIFA will eventually choose which 12 they want from the 15.
Actually after final decision, FIFA have right to choose any number, not only 12.
poxuy no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #970
r0w84

Likes (Received): 0

Okay I still think some of the exsisting stadiums in the bid still need some work to be quality WC Venues:

Leeds - Elland Road 51,240 - Expansion design looks crap & needs to go back to the drawing board

Liverpool - Anfield/New Anfield -Old Anfield needs a serious lick of paint if selected / New Anfield looks amazing and we need it to get built!

Manchester -Old Trafford -Already Great Capacity but could do with expanding the 1 tier stand as it looks incomplete at the moment - not a great look for a WC even though its a massive stadium

Newcastle - St James Park 52,000 - Already a great capacity but could do with expansion behind the other goal as like OT the stadium looks incomplete and thats not a great look for a WC venue

Sheffield - Hillsborough 44,000 - I know its an old stadium but the expansion designs still lacks a wow factor - could still be in trouble if FiFa decides to chop a couple of cities as its already clustered with Nottingham & Manchester.
r0w84 no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #971
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0w84 View Post
Leeds - Elland Road 51,240 - Expansion design looks crap & needs to go back to the drawing board
That's because it's just a crude concept and hasn't even been "to" the drawing board to begin with. Give them a chance to actually commission a formal design, eh?!!

Quote:
Manchester -Old Trafford -Already Great Capacity but could do with expanding the 1 tier stand as it looks incomplete at the moment - not a great look for a WC even though its a massive stadium

Newcastle - St James Park 52,000 - Already a great capacity but could do with expansion behind the other goal as like OT the stadium looks incomplete and thats not a great look for a WC venue
So you're saying Old Trafford looks incomplete but you want St. James to evolve into what Old Trafford looks like right now? Am I missing something...
Old December 17th, 2009, 05:01 AM   #972
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Well they're averaging 40,000 in the second tier and running away with it so it's quite conceivable to think they could fill 60,000 as a mid table premier league clubs
Love 'em or hate 'em, the Premiership is truly larger in presence when their rabid fans are involved.

Quote:
I personally wish they would've gone with either Norwich or Ipswich.
Agreed. If you're going to bend so far as to make Plymouth and Bristol viable then surely someone east of London should get a nod.
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #973
RobH

Erm, neither of those cities bid.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #974
plasticterminator

Likes (Received): 16

Wembley Stadium
FINAL, SEMI FINAL QUARTER FINAL R16 GROUPX4

SEMI FINAL QUARTER FINAL R16 GROUPX4

Liverpool FC, New Anfield Stadium
Proposed Capacity - 72,334
QUARTER FINAL R16 GROUPX4

R16 GROUPX4

Newcastle United FC, St James’ Park
QUARTER FINAL R16 GROUPX4

R16 GROUPX4

R16 GROUPX4

R16 GROUPX4

Bristol Stadium:
GROUPX4

GROUPX4

GROUPX4

GROUPX4
plasticterminator no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #975
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

The FIFA rules currently state that one city can host in two stadiums and that only one city can do so. I don't know why England is putting forward as having three cities in London or two in Manchester. It will be two in London and one in Manchester.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #976
RobH

I assume England knows what they're doing. It won't be a case of slapping their heads and saying "Doh, we forgot about the FIFA rules!"
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #977
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I assume England knows what they're doing. It won't be a case of slapping their heads and saying "Doh, we forgot about the FIFA rules!"
In the press conference that man said FIFA will only allow a max of 3 per host city. See BBC.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #978
RobH

Exactly, these 'rules' seem fairly malleable. The bid knows what they're doing and will have consulted with FIFA every step. Something as basic as picking the right number of stadiums per city won't have been overlooked!
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #979
steveedster

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
In the press conference that man said FIFA will only allow a max of 3 per host city. See BBC.
I think this rule makes sense really with countires with a large spread out city, such as London, which is just this and a population of 7 million.
steveedster no está en línea  
Old December 17th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #980
RobH

From one of my favourite sports journalists; a nice, positive article for once:

Great venues keep England's rejuvenated World Cup 2018 bid on track

When Sepp Blatter receives England’s 2018 World Cup bid document in May, Fifa’s president will feel he has picked up a book celebrating great deeds in football.

------
By Henry Winter, Football Correspondent
Published: 7:15AM GMT 17 Dec 2009
------

Anybody got Claudia Schiffer’s number? That was the shout a month ago when England’s 2018 bid appeared in crisis, assailed from many quarters and lacking the glamour that helped the Schiffer-assisted Germans win the right to host 2006.

For Goldilocks read Goldenballs. David Beckham soon sprinkled stardust on an FA campaign given even more lustre by Wenesday’s stadiums announcement.

As seen in the naming of historic grounds like Wembley, Old Trafford and Elland Road, the exciting legacy potential of Plymouth, Bristol and Milton Keynes and the remarkable community feel to a revamped Hillsborough, England always had a good technical World Cup bid. It just needed a human face, a famous one like Beckham, to make it more appealing.

The FA now has the balance right. Spain, along with Russia the main rivals to England, boasts splendid stadiums from Barcelona to La Coruña but England can play down ace after ace.

Old Trafford: home of past European champions. Ditto Anfield. Ditto Villa Park. When Sepp Blatter receives England’s bid document in May, Fifa’s president will feel he has picked up a book celebrating great deeds in football.

As Beckham showed, a touch of glamour never goes amiss.

As this charming man launched the fightback, the FA’s campaign also gained in authority by losing a charmless man. The resignation of Sir Dave Richards, the Premier League chairman who risks becoming as ridiculed nationally as he is at his old Hillsborough home, was depicted as being damaging to the FA’s campaign. Not now.

Wednesday embedded Premier League clubs like Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool, Aston Villa and Sunderland to the 2018 cause. (And those with a soft spot for Leeds United know that Elland Road will be hosting elite football well before 2018.)

Richards may have turned his back on his country but his clubs are not so foolish. The World Cup represents a 21st century Klondike, generating millions for clubs, tens of millions for surrounding areas and an estimated £3.2 billion for the nation.

Just listen to Sunderland’s chairman, Niall Quinn, of the impact 2018 could have on the area he represents so ably. “Various things have happened in this region: the shipbuilding stopped, the coal mines closed and it’s been a struggle ever since to regenerate,’’ Quinn said, “but this is a huge help.’’
So good riddance to Richards and let more principled, patriotic individuals get on with bringing football home. Good people work on the bid, from chief executive Andy Anson to the chairman Lord Triesman to lesser-known but equally important employees like Jane Bateman, the FA’s head of international relations.

The FA must use the expertise of Geoff Thompson more; however meek an FA chairman he might have been, Thompson is hugely respected within Uefa and Fifa circles and his quiet influence in the corridors of power must be exploited.

Anson and Triesman must also bring onside Richard Scudamore, the Premier League chief executive.

Scudamore’s chairman may have jumped ship but his clubs are happily on board the good ship 2018. Some of them use the bid as a catalyst to improve themselves.

The new White Hart Lane development is so exciting, so architecturally splendid, that the FA should immediately dismiss the thought of using the Olympic Stadium.

The World Cup is bigger than the Olympics anyway. Ask Claudia.

Link
RobH está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018