daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 18th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #1001
matthemod

Likes (Received): 98

MK Dons shouldn't exist as a club, end of. They are a travesty to the integrity of English football.

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2009, 03:14 AM   #1002
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

of course, but no one cares anymore as the fact they got let in the supporters federation and now this proves. Luckily the FA have got strict rules or Scally would move Gillingham to Ashford because it's one of the UKs growth towns and medway's full of pikeys who only turn out for wembley (I kid)!
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old December 18th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #1003
Vanguard

Likes (Received): 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninja1999 View Post
7 to 8 of the proposed stadia have capacities of between 40k to 50k. Lets hope some of those grounds can be increased in terms of capacities to a more exiciting number.
Meh. A bit harsh, ron.

In 2006 Germany used seven 40 to 50k stadiums, two 50k+ stadiums, two 60k stadiums and one 70k stadium.

South Africa is using one 90k Stadium, one 70k, two 60k+ and six 40 to 50k stadiums.

England is offering a choice from: One 90k stadium, two 70k+, three 60k stadiums, two 50k+ and as many as eight 40 to 50k stadiums.

England's bid stacks up very well IMO.
Vanguard no está en línea  
Old December 18th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #1004
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Capacity of venues don't usually win the bid. It also does not matter how many large stadia there are except of course to meet the huge demand.

Once you've met the minimum requirements as set out by FIFA the rest is up to the city/country.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old December 18th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #1005
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2725

Wembley 84,700?

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea  
Old December 18th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #1006
r0w84

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
MK Dons shouldn't exist as a club, end of. They are a travesty to the integrity of English football.
Well start up a thread about how much u hate MK Dons. This thread is about England 2018 not MK Dons/Wimbeldon
r0w84 no está en línea  
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:49 AM   #1007
bumdingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
Based on that logic half the clubs in the English league system shouldn't be in existence
bumdingo no está en línea  
Old December 20th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #1008
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

London’s venue options (shame Twickenham wasn’t involved)

Wembley

Emirates

Tottenham Hotspurs new stadium

OR

Olympic Stadium

image hosted on flickr

Old December 20th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #1009
RobH

Likes (Received): 10574

Ahem, it's Tottenham Hotspur (not Hotspurs)! Either that or you missed out an apostrophe.
RobH no está en línea  
Old December 20th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #1010
bigbossman

I think he missed an apostrophe...
Old December 20th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #1011
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
(shame Twickenham wasn’t involved)
Yeah, especially since it's the home of kicking.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old December 20th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #1012
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Ahem, it's Tottenham Hotspur (not Hotspurs)! Either that or you missed out an apostrophe.
thanks for pointing out my typo Rob, i know if i was a spurs fan i'd be annoyed. yes i missed the apostrophe

Last edited by Its AlL gUUd; February 6th, 2010 at 09:39 PM.
Its AlL gUUd no está en línea  
Old December 21st, 2009, 11:46 AM   #1013
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 258

I think a bunch of things have to happen to really solidify the bid:

- The new Liverpool stadium has to begin construction in the next year. That would erase any big doubts over whether a historic footballing city can make it work.

- The controversy over the new Bristol stadium has to be resolved and the way cleared for construction. If FIFA senses that there may be trouble with regards to Bristol, they would start thinking that the bid may not be able to deliver on spreading the matches beyond the power cities.

- Should London go with two venues or three? I think that while using the club venues may make the list "look better", I think if they can keep the maximum capacity of the Olympic Stadium in place through 2018 that they should go with just two big stadia of over 80,000 capacity. That would be sufficient. Since you're going to lose seats to the "FIFA sponsors", anyway, why not just go with the bigger capacities? The track can be covered up with green carpeting, like they did in the UAE during the Club World Cup.

I also think that unless one of the Manchester venues drop out that one more city would be cut between Sheffield, Leeds or Nottingham. The Northeast is its own cluster and can receive at least two groups, so Sunderland would remain part of the mix, regardless. The Southwest, if both Bristol and Plymouth can get their act together, would also be hard to cut. While I hate the thought of Winkleman being rewarded (again!) for his abandonment of the Merton faithful, I also think it's hard to argue against MK's inclusion just on geographical spread. Therefore, one of the traditional footballing cities would get the chop, I fear.
Old December 21st, 2009, 12:37 PM   #1014
RobH

Most of that makes sense, especially the bit about Liverpool (by far the biggest boost England 2018 could get would be Liverpool getting their act together).

I'd disagree with regard to thge Olympic stadium though. It's been estimated that it'll cost around £100m to maintain the Olympic stadium and convert it to FIFA standards (remember it has no inbuilt facilities and is merely a temporary shell).

A compromised stadium with a track, putting off the Olympic legacy for a further six years, and paying out an extra £100m to maintain and convert the stadium seems very foolish when Spurs are building a fabulous new football stadium in the next few years. If London is to have three grounds, the New White Hart Lane must be ahead of the Olympic Stadium. From what the FA have said, they also agree. The inclusion of the Olympic stadium seems to be a belt and braces approach, in case Spurs' stadium plans hit some bumps in the road.
RobH no está en línea  
Old December 21st, 2009, 12:51 PM   #1015
bigbossman

Thinking about it Naming Rights and The emirates are in shithole areas I wouldn't send 10s of 1000s of tourists to north Tottenham or Holloway... welcome to our slums! At least Stratford and Wembley are sheltered from their surroundings!
Old December 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM   #1016
kerouac1848

Likes (Received): 1638

I grew up in Wembley and man, its a hole. Has to be one of the worst places to hold a major sports stadium. I feel sorry for anyone that has to come via Wembley Central! (look at the great pound stores you can shop at!) Don't know if it is any worse than Tottenham though....
kerouac1848 no está en línea  
Old December 21st, 2009, 02:12 PM   #1017
TallPaul_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Established traditional football city? Well, to outsiders:

- The club is Derby County, despite Derby being a place within the county Derbyshire. Do most people even know there's a town in there?

- One of the worst Premiership seasons in recent memory. Not all tradition is great.

- They played forever at the Baseball Ground in a country where baseball is not known to exist. Not too prestigious to be second billing in your home venue.

These are just superficial observations from a foreigner. Perceptions are likely different in England, but I doubt this will wreck the bid.

You have no idea what they hell you are talking about. What has a one-off poor season under mismanagement have to do with the World Cup?!

Yes we do have the record of the worst season in history, but Plymouth/MK Dons/Bristol City etc haven't got a patch on Derby history wise!

You mention the county thing, so what, Notts County also have the name, so does that mean Nottingham is a town?!

Derby and the whole of Derbyshire are known for its passion for football, Derby County get consistant attendances no matter how good or bad we are doing as a team, it was said when we went to the Playoff final we had enough requests to fill Wembely Stadium THREE times!!

And why bring up the Baseball Ground? It was named after baseball after the sport was played there before football in the 1800's - is that a problem for you? Does that mean Derby aren't a footballing city capable of hosting the WC due to a sport played at their previous home in the 1800's?

By the way, Pride Park had plans for an upgrade to 44,000 - the shape of the ground with one stand higher than the rest is so it can easily be upgraded if needs be. Plus extensive plans for the outskirts of the Stadium to be made into a continental plaza are always being drawn up. The owners are always wanting to upgrade allsorts of facilities.
TallPaul_H no está en línea  
Old December 21st, 2009, 02:14 PM   #1018
TallPaul_H

Personally, I thought if the Portsmouth bid went through, then that would beat Milton Keynes, but when Portsmouth pulled out, I was disappointed not to see Southampton put their name forward
TallPaul_H no está en línea  
Old December 21st, 2009, 02:41 PM   #1019
RobH

RE: Derby.

He did say he was talking from an outsider's perspective. So I suppose that's an excuse of sorts for not knowing what he's talking about! Though having said that, they were three very bizarre "reasons"!

I quite liked Pride Park when I was there and the plans for expansion have been in place a while haven't they? I can only assume it's outside factors (the need for geographical spread, hotels, transport, stadium location etc.) that led to Derby being dropped. Because the stadium itself (expanded of course) would have been fine in my opinion.
RobH no está en línea  
Old December 21st, 2009, 05:04 PM   #1020
r0w84

Yeah i know Derby obviously have more footballing history than say Milton Keynes and Plymouth - but i doubt very much fans from all over the world coming over for the world cup will be like "DERBY WOW!! The Footballing History!!"....jesus its not as though its Liverpool, Nottingham or Manchester lol
r0w84 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018