daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM   #1021
RobH

Likes (Received): 10341

I don't think anyone said otherwise. TallPaul was responding to krudmonk's bizarre post about baseball and county towns. Equally, however, I don't think fans are going to say "WOW, Stadium MK, I'm glad they chose this over Pride Park!"

I reckon if those two cities swapped their geographical locations, Derby would be in and MK out. I think geography was the deciding factor here, sadly for Derby.
RobH no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2009, 06:09 PM   #1022
r0w84

Likes (Received): 0

^

U Maybe right, but then again iv been to both stadiums and stadium MK is better - Pride Park is beginning to look a little worn nowadays. whilst facilities in Stadium MK are 2nd to none. Also what an awsome place to have a fan park at the MK Bowl only a small walk from the stadium. Populations are similar at the moment with maybe Derby slightly edging it - but MK is expected to be a lot bigger by 2018. With Mk being only 43years old its infrastructure is 1st class and probably the best out of all the cities in the bid.
r0w84 no está en línea  
Old December 21st, 2009, 06:37 PM   #1023
SSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPaul_H View Post
You have no idea what they hell you are talking about. What has a one-off poor season under mismanagement have to do with the World Cup?!

Yes we do have the record of the worst season in history, but Plymouth/MK Dons/Bristol City etc haven't got a patch on Derby history wise!

You mention the county thing, so what, Notts County also have the name, so does that mean Nottingham is a town?!

Derby and the whole of Derbyshire are known for its passion for football, Derby County get consistant attendances no matter how good or bad we are doing as a team, it was said when we went to the Playoff final we had enough requests to fill Wembely Stadium THREE times!!

And why bring up the Baseball Ground? It was named after baseball after the sport was played there before football in the 1800's - is that a problem for you? Does that mean Derby aren't a footballing city capable of hosting the WC due to a sport played at their previous home in the 1800's?

By the way, Pride Park had plans for an upgrade to 44,000 - the shape of the ground with one stand higher than the rest is so it can easily be upgraded if needs be. Plus extensive plans for the outskirts of the Stadium to be made into a continental plaza are always being drawn up. The owners are always wanting to upgrade allsorts of facilities.

I agree with most of your post, but you have to know about English football history to know about Derby. For example, would you (and other non-Italian football fans) know that Bologna and Pro Vercelli (who now play in the 4th tier) have won as many Italian titles as Torino (7), which is the same amount as Roma, Lazio and Napoli put together? I'm guessing probably not. Just as someone not from England wouldn't know that in the early days of the football league Sunderland and Aston Villa were the big boys, and that Brian Clough is also a Derby County legend despite his association with Nottingham Forest.

In England Derby County is a respected football club, and is recognised as having a brilliant fanbase. Outside of England I can't see it being any more recognised than the rest of the clubs in the Championship. For the purposes of the bid, MK is a better choice than Derby due to it's location and the fact that it has a stadium that (when complete) will meet UEFA elite stadium requirements.

We already have enough history in the bid, it's why Elland Road and Hillsborough have been included despite needing extensive work done to them. It's not enough just to dangle history and tradition in front of FIFA, that's partly what went wrong with the bid for 2006.
SSE no está en línea  
Old December 21st, 2009, 06:54 PM   #1024
r0w84

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE View Post
I agree with most of your post, but you have to know about English football history to know about Derby. For example, would you (and other non-Italian football fans) know that Bologna and Pro Vercelli (who now play in the 4th tier) have won as many Italian titles as Torino (7), which is the same amount as Roma, Lazio and Napoli put together? I'm guessing probably not. Just as someone not from England wouldn't know that in the early days of the football league Sunderland and Aston Villa were the big boys, and that Brian Clough is also a Derby County legend despite his association with Nottingham Forest.

In England Derby County is a respected football club, and is recognised as having a brilliant fanbase. Outside of England I can't see it being any more recognised than the rest of the clubs in the Championship. For the purposes of the bid, MK is a better choice than Derby due to it's location and the fact that it has a stadium that (when complete) will meet UEFA elite stadium requirements.

We already have enough history in the bid, it's why Elland Road and Hillsborough have been included despite needing extensive work done to them. It's not enough just to dangle history and tradition in front of FIFA, that's partly what went wrong with the bid for 2006.

Couldnt of put it better myself!
r0w84 no está en línea  
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:24 PM   #1025
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Milton Keynes strikes me as similar to Cary, North Carolina. A plastic little town full of people not from there that sprung up overnight, and now it has a plastic little stadium to match.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old December 21st, 2009, 07:34 PM   #1026
RobH

Quote:
full of people not from there
How did every other town on the planet grow to their current sizes?
RobH no está en línea  
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:05 PM   #1027
bigbossman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
How did every other town on the planet grow to their current sizes?
Rob I thought you were better than selective quoting. He was commenting on the fact that MK was a planned city not an organic one. Part of the reason it's disliked... it's also distinctly liek an american city with it's 1km square blocks...
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:23 PM   #1028
r0w84

Planned or Organic - who cares, its still better than bloody Derby
r0w84 no está en línea  
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:26 PM   #1029
r0w84

U got to admit Stadium MK does look more of a WC Venue than Pride Park though!

Last edited by r0w84; December 21st, 2009 at 08:46 PM.
r0w84 no está en línea  
Old December 21st, 2009, 08:51 PM   #1030
bigbossman

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0w84 View Post

Planned or Organic - who cares, its still better than bloody Derby
I never said it wasn't (not that I have been to either). Just saying that Milton keynes wouldn't have existed (in it's current form) if they hadn't given incentives (read forced) people to move from London.

Derby is a glorified industrial suburb of Nottingham
Old December 21st, 2009, 09:46 PM   #1031
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Whiny bitches,

My point was merely that Derby's profile abroad does not stand up to it's image in England, which is probably much more accurate. This is the World Cup, though, and visitors are not going to be hung up on Derby verus Milton Keynes or Wigan versus Preston. Leeds gets by with a subpar venue because it's a big city with a recently big team. Derby, not so much. It's down to the facility at that point and Pride Park didn't impress.

Sorry for all the tears.

Last edited by krudmonk; December 21st, 2009 at 09:54 PM.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old December 21st, 2009, 10:51 PM   #1032
RobH

Quote:
It's down to the facility at that point and Pride Park didn't impress.
No, that was my point, I don't think Pride Park was the problem. Extended to 44,000 it'd be fine as a stadium.

I think the location of the stadium maybe let Derby's bid down (being in the middle of a nondescript industrial estate), and, more importantly, the location of the city (Sheffield, Leeds and Nottingham are already in the bid) was always going to disadvantage both Derby and Leicester which are smaller cities with less attractions for visitors.

The fairly modern stadium with expansion plans already in place was Derby's biggest selling point, but clearly it wasn't enough to get it onto the shortlist. It lost, I think, despite the stadium, not because of it.

I get what you're saying about foreign visitors not caring about which of our smallers cities hosts, but your post about the baseball ground and the name of the club didn't really get that point acrss first time which is why you were misinterpreted by just about everybody

Last edited by RobH; December 21st, 2009 at 10:59 PM.
RobH no está en línea  
Old December 22nd, 2009, 05:45 PM   #1033
matthemod

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0w84 View Post

U got to admit Stadium MK does look more of a WC Venue than Pride Park though!
I don't see what makes that Bowl anymore of a WC venue than this bowl.

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old December 22nd, 2009, 05:54 PM   #1034
bigbossman

MK's has two tiers lol
Old December 22nd, 2009, 07:39 PM   #1035
r0w84

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
I don't see what makes that Bowl anymore of a WC venue than this bowl.

Stadium:MK just looks more slick and modern in my opinion (i dont like Pride Parks roof either - older sort of design with all them pilon things everywhere - which a lot of 90's built grounds/stands in England have, looks ugly nowadays....& also its stuck in the middle of an industrial park which couldnt of helped Derby's cause

Last edited by r0w84; December 22nd, 2009 at 07:46 PM.
r0w84 no está en línea  
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:25 PM   #1036
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPaul_H View Post
Personally, I thought if the Portsmouth bid went through, then that would beat Milton Keynes, but when Portsmouth pulled out, I was disappointed not to see Southampton put their name forward
I was very disappointed that Portsmouth pulled out, was it due to the council not wanting it to be a W.C venue? Their proposed stadium on Horsea Island looked a very attractive stadium, and one which could have added greatly to the English bid.
Kobo no está en línea  
Old December 23rd, 2009, 01:07 PM   #1037
RobH

I should think it probably had more to do with Portsmouth FC's current financial situation.
RobH no está en línea  
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #1038
midotoria
مصر ام الدنيا

Likes (Received): 137

we all support qatar

midotoria no está en línea  
Old December 24th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #1039
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 230

No we don't..
Old December 24th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #1040
RobH

Well, Qatar aren't bidding for 2018 anyway, only 2022.

What is interesintg midotoria, is that Egypt will be playing at Wembley next year:

The match would also give England 2018 bid chiefs the perfect opportunity to impress Hany Abo Rida, one of the most recently-appointed members of the FIFA 24-man executive committee who will vote on the identity of World Cup hosts in December next year.
RobH no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018