daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 25th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #1041
ormey

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0w84 View Post
Stadium:MK just looks more slick and modern in my opinion (i dont like Pride Parks roof either - older sort of design with all them pilon things everywhere - which a lot of 90's built grounds/stands in England have, looks ugly nowadays....& also its stuck in the middle of an industrial park which couldnt of helped Derby's cause
i think derbys pride park in my opinion is far better than milton keynes they should never have a wc there due to the history of what happened with wimbledon .
ormey no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 25th, 2009, 03:41 AM   #1042
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

FIFA make the decision and facilities are far more important to them rather then how a club came into being. Besides the cities were bidding not the clubs. MK provided a better bid so they got chosen, also alot of other cities around Derby got chosen hence they lost out, not because of MK.
Old December 25th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #1043
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Doesn't matter. Both Derby and MK would be fringe cities anyone, honestly I don't think MK stands a chance of being in the chosen cities. Plymouth has a better chance due to it's isolation, it's not as if Truro could put a bid forth.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old December 25th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #1044
r0w84

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
Doesn't matter. Both Derby and MK would be fringe cities anyone, honestly I don't think MK stands a chance of being in the chosen cities. Plymouth has a better chance due to it's isolation, it's not as if Truro could put a bid forth.
Milton Keynes has already been chosen? ....am i wrong?
r0w84 no está en línea  
Old December 25th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #1045
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0w84 View Post
Milton Keynes has already been chosen? ....am i wrong?
Yes for the England bid, but Fifa make the final decision when the host country is chosen as to which cities will be host cities. England have forwarded a list of the cities that they think have potential to host and then Fifa will narrow the list down as necessary. I think if England do end up hosting and MK is not chosen as a host city, then London should get 3 host venues as this will balance out the number of North and South venues.
Old December 25th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #1046
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but the fact that stadium:mk was built to achieve UEFA 4-star elite status would give it a big advantage over Derby and others.
JYDA no está en línea  
Old December 25th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #1047
nandofutbolero

Likes (Received): 1

to be honest it's time for England to host a world cup I don't know why they(FIFA Committee) doesn't give England the oportunity? it's weird in a way that's were modern football started
Old December 25th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #1048
Fizmo1337

Likes (Received): 62

It's still politics and gaining votes from other federations. If it was purely based on 'who deserves it more' I'm quite sure London (3rd time) wouldn't have been chosen for the 2012 olympics

But it's the best chance England has and I think they will get it.
Fizmo1337 no está en línea  
Old December 25th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #1049
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
Yes for the England bid, but Fifa make the final decision when the host country is chosen as to which cities will be host cities. England have forwarded a list of the cities that they think have potential to host and then Fifa will narrow the list down as necessary. I think if England do end up hosting and MK is not chosen as a host city, then London should get 3 host venues as this will balance out the number of North and South venues.
I was shocked to not see an East Anglian venue for that reason.
Bobby3 no está en línea  
Old December 25th, 2009, 11:24 PM   #1050
RobH

Likes (Received): 10345

No East Anglian cities bid Bobby.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old December 25th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #1051
RobH

Tottenham Hotspur say new stadium will outshine Olympic venue in 2018 bid

Tottenham Hotspur believe they can persuade Fifa, football's world governing body, to choose their new state-of-the-art ground over the 2012 Olympic stadium if England wins the right to stage the 2018 World Cup next year.

Tottenham are leaving White Hart Lane for a new multi-million development adjacent to their home of 110 years in time for the 2012-13 season with the club's 56,000-capacity ground going against the main venue used for the 2012 London Olympics.

The Olympic stadium will be reduced from 85,000 seats to a permanent capacity of 25,000 after 2012, but preliminary discussions have been held about repurposing the stadium for 2018. The venue is being considered because many of London's stadiums do not easily satisfy Fifa's requirements.

If England are successful in December's vote in 2010, Fifa will cut the shortlist to a maximum of 12 but Tottenham believe they will have far better claims to be used over the Olympic venue.

"Once the stadium is built, it will be impossible for FIFA to leave us out," a Spurs source told Inside the Games.

"It will the best football stadium in Europe without a doubt. Both from a technical and environment point of view.

"But our detailed plans will blow FIFA away. We have no problem with the timing."

Tottenham executive director Paul Barber has has already said the state-of-the-art arena will outshine their London rivals, including Chelsea and Arsenal.

"Our stadium will be as technologically advanced if not more so than any other in the world," he said last month.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-2018-bid.html

Hmmm, that's quite a statement. I've no doubt it'll be a better footballing venue than the Olympic stadium whose inclusion on the shortlist, I hope is nothing more than an insurance policy, but the best stadium in Europe? I think someone's getting a wee bit carried away, and I say that as a Spurs fan (though I'd love them to be right orf course)!

I do think it'll be a fantastic ground though, very much deserving of world cup matches.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old December 26th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #1052
Luke80

Likes (Received): 4

Well their right, at least from a fans point of view which is what really matters (of course FIFA don't see it that way!)
Luke80 no está en línea  
Old December 27th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #1053
RobH

Bit more detail on the WHL story:

December 23 - Tottenham Hotspur are convinced they can persuade FIFA to choose their new ground over the Olympic stadium if England wins the right to stage the 2018 World Cup.

Spurs have not made any official comment since a three-man panel selected the 17 prospective stadiums for hosting 2018 games, with Tottenham’s new 56,000-capacity ground going head-to-head against the venue being built for the 2012 London Olympics.

If England are successful in December next year, FIFA will whittle down the shortlist to a maximum of 12 but Spurs believe they will have a far stronger case than the Olympic venue - especially if it remains primarily a track and field arena.

Wembley and The Emirates are the only London stadiums that seem certain host matches but Spurs, who aim to have their new ground under construction by the time FIFA makes the firm and final decision in 2013, are confident they will get the nod.

"Once the stadium is built, it will be impossible for FIFA to leave us out," said a high-ranking Spurs source.

"It will the best football stadium in Europe without a doubt.

"Both from a technical and environment point of view.

"We knew there was a possibility that we would not be chosen outright because we have not yet gone through planning and then we have the funding issues.

"But our detailed plans will blow FIFA away.

"We have no problem with the timing."

With a maximum of three London stadiums being allowed, Tottenham's case appears to rest on whether the Olympic arena (pictured) will remain at its 80,000 capacity or be reduced to 25,000 after the Games.

Spurs believe they can persuade FIFA that a pure football ground will be a far better option than a converted track and field venue.

"What are they going to do with it between 2012 and 2018?" the source told insideworldfootball.

"That's the issue.

"You can't operate an 80,000 stadium for half a decade.

"It's not viable.

"Besides it will have a running track round the outside.

"The expectation is that it's very unlikely FIFA would choose a running track-type stadium over a football-specific, state of the art stadium."

He rejected reports that the new Spurs ground, costing around £400 million and being constructed adjacent to White Hart Lane, might not be operational in time.

"We told the 2018 panel that we would be operational for a minimum three seasons before the World Cup comes to England.

"We aren't at all surprised that Arsenal's ground was in because the FA needs some stadiums that are built and ready for the bid book.

"But we will be the newest soccer-specific stadium in the country at the time of the World Cup.

"Can you imagine the reaction of the football family if FIFA goes for an athletics stadium over a state-of-the-art football ground?"
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old December 27th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #1054
RobH

vs

RobH está en línea ahora  
Old December 27th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #1055
bigbossman

how eager are you rob... anyway those Tottenham renders are way to generous there is no way those stands will be that close!
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old December 27th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #1056
RobH

8 metres all the way around bigbossman.

Given its perspective, I'd say the render is fine.

Look at pictures of the Allianz Arena from the same perspective and it doesn't look very different.

Its stands are 7.5m away from the pitch (so only 0.5m difference from the New WHL).

Last edited by RobH; December 27th, 2009 at 06:08 PM.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old December 27th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #1057
bigbossman

fair enough, it just looks a lot closer than the allianz in those white hart lane pictures.

BTW is the yiddome expandable?
bigbossman no está en línea  
Old January 21st, 2010, 03:26 PM   #1058
RobH

England's bid to host the 2018 World Cup has been given an injection of Gallic charm with David Ginola joining the campaign as an ambassador.

The former Newcastle, Tottenham and Aston Villa star now lives back in his native France but is a well-known figure in England because of his exploits in the Premier League.

Ginola is not the only overseas personality among the team of ambassadors, with Chelsea midfielders Michael Essien, John Obi Mikel and Michael Ballack also on board along with former Tottenham player and manager Ossie Ardiles among many others.

Ginola, who was part of the bid to include Newcastle and Gateshead as one of the host venues for the tournament, said: "I had a tremendous time playing in front of passionate English crowds. They always brought the best out of me and I feel they would spur the world's greatest players into producing a truly memorable tournament if the World Cup was staged in England.

"People all over the world love watching English football and every visiting team, player and supporter would find a home-from-home welcome at a World Cup in England. It would inspire fans everywhere and I am proud to be backing England 2018."

Ginola's role as an ambassador will be to support the bid team at home and abroad at meetings which may prove crucial to England being confirmed as the successful bidders by FIFA in early December.

England 2018 bid chief executive Andy Anson added: "It is a glowing endorsement of English football that so many foreign players have stepped forward to support us.

"David Ginola was an exceptionally talented footballer and is a charismatic international figure. He will be an excellent ambassador for the bid and we look forward to working with him over the course of the campaign."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...d-1874596.html

It also gives me an excuse to post one of my favourite ever Tottenham goals:

RobH está en línea ahora  
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #1059
nickswfc
:::::::::::::

Likes (Received): 3

The best stadium in Europe! :-S
nickswfc no está en línea  
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #1060
rolo1984

Likes (Received): 0

has anyone got/or have they even released photos of what the Home Park / Stadium:MK / Elland Road Redovelopments will look like?
rolo1984 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018