daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 27th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #1181
canarywondergod

Likes (Received): 83

Agreed, and got to remember that no matter how good the inspectors say the bid is they arent the ones who ultimately make the decision. Another small thing is the picture of the stadiums show Wembley with its roof open! I cannot remember a single game where that has been the case, certainly not on the 3 visits I have made to Wembley either!
canarywondergod no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #1182
RobH

Likes (Received): 10553

I think the roof opens to keep air, light and moisture on the pitch when the stadium is empty, but is fully "closed" during matchdays.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #1183
canarywondergod

My understanding was what you said but also so that it would reduce shadows on game days? I think I remember something being said that only one small corner would be in shadow for the FA Cup final?
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #1184
RobH

Hmmm, they got that wrong didn't they?!
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #1185
canarywondergod

My thoughts exactly! As we both know that roof is never open on match days and even with what they have stated there still would be some shadows as the rails that support the roof to slide open are held up by steel supports which would inevitably cast a shadow! Does make me wonder wether they should have maybe gone for a more millennium stadium approach and had a fully retractable roof. Do you know if its also true that the stadium can be expanded to 100,000? I read somewhere this was possible but public transport links needed to be improved for the council to approve it. It involved the removal of the movement of the disabled section with tiered seating being put in place as would happen if Wembley ever held athletics.
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #1186
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

The legacy of the World Cup is huge in the case of England. Here are well used venues that will be modernized in a football crazy nation. It will set a deadline for clubs etc. to develop their venues according to an exhaustive list of FIFA requirements, and accelerate general football infrastructure as well.

The positive is that while one does expect issues with upgrading or modernizing and building world cup venues, the 2018 deadline is fixed, so funding has to be found, plans need to be finalized etc.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #1187
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
Exuding some justified confidence is fair game at this point.

The 2006 bid wasn't defeated because of some overbearing English arrogance. That's mostly an invention of the British media. Indeed, walking around all meek and mild, tugging the forelock, etc, might actually put people off. It's pathetic to even suggest it, IMO.

No problems with Clegg's remarks at all.

Does anybody remember which cities and what stadiums were used in Englands 2006 World Cup bid? It would be interesting to see the comparison between the 2006 and the 2018/22 bids.
Kobo no está en línea  
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #1188
RobH

I couldn't find that Kobo. However, I have found a video of England's 2006 presentation (bear in mind this was made in the pre-broadband days 10 whole years ago):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/cta/sp...gland_pres.ram

(found here)

It looks pretty ametuer compared with the slick blockbusters of the type shown to the IOC these days, but I don't think England's presentation was bad by the standards of the time, and nor was it the reason we lost. It makes interesting viewing...

Two interesting points of contrast though:

1. The 2006 bid was very focussed around Sir Bobby Charlton and the '66 triumph. It also, of course, got Garth Crooks and other former players on board. The 2018 bid seems to be getting many, many more current players involved.

2. At 18:30 in the video it was strange to hear Tony Banks speaking about hooliganism. Of course, this presentation came not long after Euro 2000 and the shadow of that tournament loomed large over England's reputation then. The issue is almost non-existant now and hearing that was like hearing something from a different era. The Treisman debacle looks like (and indeed IS) such a minor issue compared to what we were dealing with then; it really puts things into perspective.

Anyway, not entirely relevent to this thread, but thought it'd be of interest for those who want to watch it.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:23 AM   #1189
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I couldn't find that Kobo. However, I have found a video of England's 2006 presentation (bear in mind this was made in the pre-broadband days 10 whole years ago):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/cta/sp...gland_pres.ram

(found here)

It looks pretty ametuer compared with the slick blockbusters of the type shown to the IOC these days, but I don't think England's presentation was bad by the standards of the time, and nor was it the reason we lost. It makes interesting viewing...

Two interesting points of contrast though:

1. The 2006 bid was very focussed around Sir Bobby Charlton and the '66 triumph. It also, of course, got Garth Crooks and other former players on board. The 2018 bid seems to be getting many, many more current players involved.

2. At 18:30 in the video it was strange to hear Tony Banks speaking about hooliganism. Of course, this presentation came not long after Euro 2000 and the shadow of that tournament loomed large over England's reputation then. The issue is almost non-existant now and hearing that was like hearing something from a different era. The Treisman debacle looks like (and indeed IS) such a minor issue compared to what we were dealing with then; it really puts things into perspective.

Anyway, not entirely relevent to this thread, but thought it'd be of interest for those who want to watch it.
Thanks for these links RobH. Yes the presentation was interesting to watch its a shame they didn't discuss which stadiums would be used and up graded, although I got an idea from a video clip they showed.
Kobo no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2010, 02:40 PM   #1190
DenilsonUK

Likes (Received): 2

Do you need Real Player to watch that video? I can't seem to get it to work on WMP or iTunes.

Anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Mail
The England 2018 team will be doing all they can to prevent a proposed BBC Panorama documentary on the World Cup bidding process being broadcast before the December 2 vote.

Discussions are understood to have taken place inside the Panorama office about commissioning an investigation into the 2018 race, possibly focusing on England’s main rivals, Russia, that would be aired in the autumn.

Such is the concern within England’s 2018 campaign at the potential for derailing their
chances of hosting the World Cup that they are prepared to go all the way to BBC director general Mark Thompson to stop the project. Senior BBC executives are already aware of their fears.

The worry is a documentary devised and produced in England exposing rivals’ activities could alienate the FIFA ExCo voters against the country’s bid, especially if it doesn’t score a knock-out blow.

A 2004 Panorama revealed a corruption scandal around Bulgarian IOC member Ivan Slavkov, exposed in an undercover sting as being prepared to accept bribes for voting for London.

Slavkov was expelled by the IOC, which justified the BBC, but the fall-out proved difficult for the London 2012 Olympic bid.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/art...-Panorama.html

Typical.
DenilsonUK no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2010, 03:03 PM   #1191
RobH

The BBC don't tend to air these things unless they have pretty solid grounding to do so. The Panorama investigation in the lead up to the 2012 vote led to the Bulgarian IOC member being thrown out of the organisation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Slavkov) and London won anyway. The Daily Fail article above is very speculative as to what the subject matter might or mightn't be, so we'll have to wait and see in that regard.

If the BBC's proof is as solid as the evidence they had in their IOC investigation they should certainly show the programme. The IOC didn't hold anything against us after we exposed one of their members, so one would hope FIFA would be just as mature.

---

EDIT: Yeah, I think you do need Real Player for the 2006 vid. Back in the day, that's all the BBC offered in terms of video content. If you want to watch Real Player vidoes without all the junk Real Player comes with, download Real Alternative. It doesn't change all your file types, slow your PC down or bombard you with adverts. It's quite a neat little programme.

Last edited by RobH; September 1st, 2010 at 03:11 PM.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:13 PM   #1192
Trelawny
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

The only thing against an English bid is the "greedy" factor. Fifa might think that england has hosted too many events. And will let Russia have a moment to shine. But who knows. A party in England will probably be better than a party in Russia. However they will both be lower than a beach party in brazil 2014!
Trelawny no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:28 PM   #1193
canarywondergod

Its the only big sporting event that isnt being held in England and the UK this decade, the 2018 world cup would complete the set!
Old September 2nd, 2010, 12:19 AM   #1194
Trelawny
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by canarywondergod View Post
Its the only big sporting event that isnt being held in England and the UK this decade, the 2018 world cup would complete the set!
Exactly my point.
Trelawny no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2010, 12:56 AM   #1195
Bigcat

Likes (Received): 81

[QUOTE=DenilsonUK;62958721]Do you need Real Player to watch that video? I can't seem to get it to work on WMP or iTunes.

VLC works too
Bigcat no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2010, 12:30 PM   #1196
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 61449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
Exactly my point.
It doesn't matter what other sporting events are being held in the UK.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:46 PM   #1197
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
The only thing against an English bid is the "greedy" factor. Fifa might think that england has hosted too many events. And will let Russia have a moment to shine. But who knows. A party in England will probably be better than a party in Russia. However they will both be lower than a beach party in brazil 2014!
Thats not how it works.

Its not "FIFA" that votes. Its 24 members of the Exco that vote for any reason they choose.

England would get the majority of the votes for obvious reasons and some additional votes for lobbying etc.

I personally do not think Russia has enough weight to compete with England in terms of votes. The issue for the 2018 vote is how the votes will be spread after the first ballot.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2010, 02:01 PM   #1198
RobH

England is indeed greedy if "greedy" means "putting in the effort to spend tens of millions bidding for several events, putting together bid documents, lobbying, advertising, ensuring government support is there, building new infrastructure where needed."

And don't forget Russia is holding the Winter Olympics in 2014 as well. It's not as black and white as saying England/Britain is hosting everything and Russia needs a chance to shine. England is putting in a huge amount of effort simply to bid and if people from countries that can't or won't put in that effort see England as greedy then that's really their problem, nobody else's. England doesn't have a right to host the event, but it has every right to bid for it; it doesn't matter that we've got other events already.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old September 2nd, 2010, 04:46 PM   #1199
apinamies

Likes (Received): 722

World cup 2018

I would like to see World cup 2018 in England.
apinamies no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:04 PM   #1200
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Brazil is hosting many sporting events this decade such as the Olympics and World Cup amongst others, they weren't seen as ''greedy'' so why are England seen as such?

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018