daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 18th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #1201
RobH

Likes (Received): 10341

Bad news for Bristol:

Plans for a £92 million stadium at Ashton Vale have once again been thrown into turmoil.

Residents who live near the site have won their fight for the 42-acre site to be designated as a town green.

An independent inspector has recommended that the whole site where the stadium would be built - including the former landfill site - should be given town green status.

If approved, it would effectively rule out any development on the site for ever.

But while Ashton Vale campaigners celebrate their sensational victory, the club's dreams of a new 30,000-seat home might hang by a thread but they are not totally shattered beyond hope.

The city council, which backs the plans for a new stadium, must decide whether to formally register the site as a town green. It is looking at ways of unpicking a route through a legal minefield to keep the stadium hopes alive.

But the inspector's findings have clearly stunned senior council staff and club executives.

Lib Dem deputy council leader Simon Cook said: "I am shocked and disappointed at the independent inspector's conclusion.

"Although I respect the fact that she has found that there is a case for awarding a village green, designating the whole 42 acres in question seems utterly unreasonable."

Mr Cook said awarding town green status to the whole site put at serious risk not just the stadium, but a possible arena, redevelopment of the current ground at Ashton Gate and the city's hopes of becoming a host city for the World Cup if the tournament comes to England in 2018.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/...l/article.html
RobH no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #1202
AILD
BANNED

Likes (Received): 30

What about other stadiums close to private houses and territory?

If I remember, FIFA requirements have exact number for square around the stadium. And a lot of existing stadiums have not so much territory around.

Any info?
AILD no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #1203
RobH

England will find ways to work around this and accommodate sponsors in the few cases where stadiums are in close vacinity to other buildings. This problem has been somewhat overexaggerated because in most case it simply isn't an issue.

Besides which, space isn't a problem in the case of Bristol - it is, instead, simply gaining planning permission. The new stadium will be in the area encircled by red below. As you can see, there will be no problem finding room for sponsors tents here:

It's slightly frustrating that, unlike the Olympic bid process, there is no requirement for World Cup bid books to be made public. It'd be interesting to see plans of all the stadiums in world cup configuration, which I'm sure must be in the bid book, for example.
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #1204
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

This is such a minor issue, I mean it's almost embarrassing.
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #1205
RobH

We don't even really know if it is an issue anymore.

England, I suspect, have assured FIFA of their plans for sponsors in and around venues already. It certainly wasn't mentioned after the inspection by FIFA delegates, where as the number of hotel rooms in a couple of smaller cities was (a relatively minor, though not unimportant criticism, given the comments made about some other bids).
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #1206
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

That site is too far away RobH.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #1207
RobH

From what?
RobH no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #1208
Schmeek

Likes (Received): 1

This really has been a terrible couple weeks for the Bristol bid. It is regarded as a definate host city, due to the geographic spread of the bid.

The stadium was given planning permission ages ago, and we were just waiting for Sainsbury's application for the current Ashton Gate site to be approved (which is a necessity to finance the new stadium and an enabling development) when shock horror the muppets who sat on the committee decided they'd go against their own officer's recommendation to approve and throw it out for reason's they just seemed to make up on the night, despite the wealth of information provided to them which was contrary to their ideas. This had the City in uproar, but just as Sainsbury's simultanously resubmitted a modified app aswell as appealing the failed one...... we get this nonsense about the village Green. It's utter sh*te, and everyone knows it except the handful of nimbys who decided to stick their petty oar in and prevent half the city's regeneration as they're too lazy to walk a few extra yards to the green fields and estate which is Ashton court. It really is mind boggling. I mean, one can understand village green apps being approved if the land is an oasis in the middle of urban sprawl, and with a history of clear continuous regular usage. This piece of land lies on the edge of the open countryside and is a former landfill site. Pathetic.
I'm flabbergasted that the diggers aren't commencing at this very moment, as they should be. It's turning into another 'Brighton'.

Anyway, that's where things stand in good old 'backward Bristol'.
Schmeek no está en línea  
Old September 18th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #1209
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
From what?
haha. I thought you were suggesting the site for the current stadium. I realize now the new stadium will be on that site.

where is the city centre? no site near there?
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #1210
Schmeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
where is the city centre? no site near there?

The centre is around a k north-east of the current stadium with the new site around 1.5-2k, away. City have been looking for years and years for a suitable site, and the ones that were highlighted as being potential goers have all been counted out for some reason or another. This patch of land was snapped up by our rich Chairman a few years ago, when it became clear that City needed to move from AG to continue to be a viable company and to stay close to BCFC's home teritory. It ticks all boxes, being right next to the park & ride, and will be linked directly to the centre via a brand new Rapid bus Transit route (marked green) on a disused railway line.
Schmeek no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2010, 02:22 AM   #1211
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeek View Post

The centre is around a k north-east of the current stadium with the new site around 1.5-2k, away. City have been looking for years and years for a suitable site, and the ones that were highlighted as being potential goers have all been counted out for some reason or another. This patch of land was snapped up by our rich Chairman a few years ago, when it became clear that City needed to move from AG to continue to be a viable company and to stay close to BCFC's home teritory. It ticks all boxes, being right next to the park & ride, and will be linked directly to the centre via a brand new Rapid bus Transit route (marked green) on a disused railway line.
Don't forget to add a fan walk to the stadium from the city centre. But since all the English host city teams were in Cape Town it seems, I don't doubt that fan walks from the city centre or main transport node will become all the rage, further supported by the fact that any rail station adjacent to a match venue will be closed on match days.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2010, 02:27 AM   #1212
Mo Rush

RobH and others can fan walks be incorporated into other venues? Emirates has its rail station adjacent to the venue right? Wembley seemed to have a major pathway leading to the venue...? Any chance for Newcastle? Liverpool? Sunderland?

I would like to see fan walks or I will tell Matthew Lowry to tell FIFA members to vote for Qatar.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #1213
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 650

Quote:
RobH and others can fan walks be incorporated into other venues? Emirates has its rail station adjacent to the venue right? Wembley seemed to have a major pathway leading to the venue...? Any chance for Newcastle? Liverpool? Sunderland?

I would like to see fan walks or I will tell Matthew Lowry to tell FIFA members to vote for Qatar.
St James' Park isn't that far away from the main railway station, a short walk. Also it has it's own Metro station right outside of the stadium aswell as other in and around the city centre. It's also a very short walk the 2 main local bus stations, and a short walk from the coach station. Not only that but it's a short drive from the central motorway and in easy access to the A1, and if you go a few miles East you will be able to get to the A19 (and Tyne Tunnel) within about 20 minutes. Leazers park and Exhibition park is right next to the stadium, and the Town Moor is also within walking distance. So no real problems for Newcastle concerning fan parks and local transport services.

As for Sunderland, I've not really been there, only really driving there or driving past. It lies on a road which links up with the A19 though, and has it's own Metro station aswell, though most of their fans seem to think that the Metro station next on the line is actually closer then the one that is named after the stadium.

Newcastle Metro Area

Last edited by bigchrisfgb; November 27th, 2010 at 01:19 AM.
bigchrisfgb no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #1214
Mo Rush

Well any metro stations just outside the venue will be closed so fans will have to walk from the next nearest station or the main transport or rail station.

Where the rail station is essentially on top of the venue it will closed but e.g. in Durban where there is a large bridge to get to the stadium from the rail station it is used.

A rail station adjacent to Ellis Park was closed, while the rail station at Soccer City was far enough from the stadium.

Last edited by Mo Rush; September 19th, 2010 at 04:22 PM.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #1215
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:

rofl
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #1216
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeek View Post
This piece of land is a former landfill site. Pathetic.
Unbelievable,that decision was made

Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #1217
dronkula

Likes (Received): 261

The Bristol decision really just shows how ridiculous the particular law regarding designating something as a 'Village Green' is in this country.

Basically, 22 people told the inspector, not under oath, that they had been using the site for recreational purposes for over 20 years and she believed them. This is despite the fact that the site was a working rubbish dump less than 20 years ago - her opinion was that because it was fairly close to a residential area it's likely that children would've been playing on the rubbish dump while it was still in use.

So, what happens now? It's up to the City council to decide if they accept the recommendation or not. If they do, then it's all over for the new stadium. If they don't they're going to have to fight it out in the courts and this will become a legal test case for the whole system of designating Village Greens - at which point it wont be 22 people against the Council - there will be several major national interested parties who will be supporting the 22 people to keep the current system in place so it will be a very long and expensive process.

Which is a shame because I think the Bristol bid was pretty good. Just across the road from the purposed stadium is Ashton Court and that would've been the designated Fans park *and* camp site so the whole 'Fans walk' would've probably been from there rather than the city centre.
dronkula no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #1218
Mo Rush

Just win the bid. Blatter visits and the stadium site is sorted out.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #1219
Schmeek

Well I'd like to think you're right Mo. But it's a lot more complicated than that. I don't see how Blatter can just wave his magic wand and everything falls into place just like that. He and FIFA may be powerful but I don't think it stretches to having controlling powers over all foreign authorities and the independant inspectors and minority groups such as is the case here.

I'm sure a huge amount of pressure will be applied if England's bid is successful, but the people how appose this stadium obviously don't particularly like football and so won't care less.

You make it sound so easy - like a couple of brown envelopes are exchanged and all is sweet. High profile back scratching (or as I like to call it, legalised corruption) goes on a lot (probably as well as just plain corruption), but unless you know something we don't I can't see how you can make these kinds of statements.
Schmeek no está en línea  
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #1220
Mo Rush

Oh you would be surprised. Each country is different but at the end of the day Blatter and Valcke will ask. Do you want to be a host city? Cities will have to decide on their answer and sign the host city agreement. At some point there is no negotiation, just the question.

Alongside the word "power" in the dictionary, you will not see "the IOC" or the "UN". You will see "FIFA". I am afraid 20 residents opposing the site stand no chance.
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018