daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 2nd, 2010, 06:46 PM   #1401
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

MysteryMike no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:56 PM   #1402
matthemod

Likes (Received): 98

Ok, we get it, you like that song.

My MiniCity!
matthemod no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2010, 08:43 PM   #1403
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 749

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
Are you actually English or are you just taking the piss? The more I see it the more I want Russia to win.
carlspannoosh no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:47 AM   #1404
Schmeek

Likes (Received): 1

That is horrible.
Schmeek no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:39 AM   #1405
WFInsider
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4458

Quote:
SUNDAY TIMES PROBE 'UNETHICAL'

A senior FIFA figure has condemned an undercover investigation into World Cup bidding as "unethical".

Two FIFA executive committee members, Nigeria's Amos Adamu and Tahiti's Reynald Temarii, have been suspended pending a FIFA ethics committee hearing after allegations in the Sunday Times that they asked for money for projects in return for World Cup votes.

The ethics committee are also investigating separate allegations that Qatar's 2022 bid has colluded with the Spain/Portugal 2018 bid, something forbidden by bidding regulations.

Mohamed Bin Hammam, the Qatari president of the Asian Football Confederation and a member of the executive committee which will vote on the 2018 and 2022 World Cup hosts, has expressed doubts about the fairness of the newspaper's investigation.

His remarks will increase concerns that England's 2018 bid may suffer from a backlash by FIFA members unhappy at the Sunday Times sting and a programme currently being worked on by BBC Panorama.

Bin Hammam said on his website: "Forging identity, fabricating evidence and setting traps are unethical behaviours in my point of view.

"One thing about Middle East media, these are rare happenings there.

"Is it ethical to use unethical measures to protect the ethic?

"How can we serve justice and look for fairness by not acting justly and fairly? How will we clean dirty laundry by using dirty water?"

The collusion allegations are likely to be dismissed later this month, though Adamu and Temarii could face sanctions and Bin Hammam echoed FIFA president Sepp Blatter in conceding it was a mistake to have the 2018 and 2022 votes on the same day, December 2.

Bin Hammam added: "We all underestimated the passion for the game around the world; we miscalculated how much football has influence over the feelings of people.

"By admitting that mistake, FIFA executive committee members realised how much it is impossible to demand from their member associations not to talk to each other about their bid.

"President Blatter said in the [FIFA executive committee] meeting, 'out of the nine bidding nations, eight of them have representatives in the FIFA ex co and all of them are friends. How can I ask them not to talk or discuss issues about the World Cup bid..?"

Bin Hammam added: "The World Cup is the largest business of FIFA. Collusion will always have a chance to happen as far as two bids will be decided together, but we all pray that no corrupted collusion will find its way to the bids."

Bin Hammam also revealed it was UEFA president Michel Platini who made the decisive intervention to prevent the 2022 vote being postponed until next year when he told last Friday's meeting 'we cannot change the rule of the game during the game'.
http://www.sportinglife.com/football...World_Cup.html
WFInsider no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 04:12 AM   #1406
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthemod View Post
Ok, we get it, you like that song.
No I don't like it, I beeping love it Can be replaced with we're hosting the world cup real soon
Old November 3rd, 2010, 04:17 AM   #1407
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeek View Post
That is horrible.
Yeah but you're from Bristol. I on the other grew up with decent music.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 04:19 PM   #1408
westendwilly

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeek View Post
That is horrible.
Me thinks you are being a bit polite, its far worse than just horrible.
westendwilly no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 04:36 PM   #1409
Harry1990

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
I think you misunderstood him.

He was talking about how the English FA and Premier League facilitate and invest in football coaching programmes in many "third world" (I hate that expression!) countries.

He then contrasted that with the overt racism too frequently experienced in some European countries.

I'm not entirely certain that his argument has been well thought out but I am pretty sure that he wasn't suggesting that the likes of Spain, Italy, Russia, Poland and Ukraine are "third world" countries!
thank you i wasn't calling russia, spain, portugal etc third world countries was saying england help out third world countries sending out coachs, education programs etc sorry about the confusion i wrote the message quite late so some of my sentances don't quite make sense, and i hate the word third world too but its the only one i could think off
Harry1990 no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:43 PM   #1410
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 269

God that England video is embarrassing!
Turbosnail no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:54 PM   #1411
Schmeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
Yeah but you're from Bristol. I on the other grew up with decent music.

'Grew up' - Past tense?
Can't work out if you are being sarcastic or not. I hope for your sake you are.
Which town/City you accosiate yourself and 'decent music' with, I can't quite imagine. Cheeseville perhaps...
Looks like you're in the minority taste wise. Anyway, each to their own I suppose.

By the way, looks like Jason McAteer in that last vid!
Schmeek no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2010, 07:13 AM   #1412
MysteryMike
BANNED

well i can say i was surrounded by those elements during my growing up thanks to my family but I actually grew up in the desert so FAIL really.
Old November 4th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #1413
Schmeek

Hmmm.
Schmeek no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #1414
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 5

Let's hope the stories in the press about England's bid being "harmed" by the bribing scandal are true. I'm English but the last thing I want is years and years of the English media telling me how England will win the world cup at Wembley and countless references to '66

Russia deserves to win the bid.
AdidasGazelle no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2010, 04:16 AM   #1415
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdidasGazelle View Post
Let's hope the stories in the press about England's bid being "harmed" by the bribing scandal are true. I'm English but the last thing I want is years and years of the English media telling me how England will win the world cup at Wembley and countless references to '66

Strange conclusion. What if the English media (because everyone else is useless) has more than what they're letting on at the moment
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #1416
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 236

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdidasGazelle View Post

Russia deserves nothing, it should earn its right.
Old November 5th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #1417
_X_

Likes (Received): 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceBittenTwiceShy View Post
I think it's a brilliant term to brand poor countries like Jemen and Qatar from a footballing point of view. I guess you'd feel more comfortable with politically correct tagging as in 'emerging markets'.
rofl
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #1418
RobH

Likes (Received): 10574

A very good article on the England bid, giving a different perspective on things:

England 2018 remain highly confident about their chances of winning the right to host the World Cup less than four weeks out from FIFA’s bid D-day.

In the midst of a quiet news week, the England team have had to endure a series of negative headlines in their domestic media amidst fears that a forthcoming BBC Panorama investigation will – as one unnamed but widely quoted source put it – put the “final nail” in the English bid’s coffin.

INSIDER understands that England 2018 CEO Andy Anson met with BBC director general Mark Thompson to discuss his concerns about the programme earlier this week.

But such fears that the programme and last month’s Sunday Times expose of two FIFA executive members have derailed England’s chances are wide of the mark. INSIDER has spoken to sources within the England bid, the BBC and in Zurich about the English media. While concerns do exist, they are considered as attributable to the unpredictable mindsets of certain FIFA Ex-co members than any pre-occupation with muck-raking.

One journalistic colleague described the tone of the reports as reflecting the “typical conceit” that the British press has a monopoly on upsetting FIFA.

Brazilian, German-speaking, Nigerian and Scandinavian journalists have all been thorns in FIFA’s side, even if they have still to come up with a scoop with the implications of last month’s Sunday Times expose.

The domestic naval gazing was exemplified by the BBC’s sports editor effectively using a blog to comment on his own employers. Such actions surely raised eyebrows in BBC headquarters.

There was also a sense that Mohamed Bin Hammam’s widely reported comments from his own blog, that suggested the Sunday Times methods were “unethical”, were taken out of context. Bin Hammam used the same forum to lavish praise on western journalists, who he said were “serving the public justice.”

England bid sources have been alternatively irritated and sanguine about the coverage. One source described the stories as “an inevitable challenge of any long-term campaign or strategy during a quiet week.”

He said that the focus was on Zurich at the end of this month for the final round of presentations and pointed out that England have “always performed exceptionally well at FIFA’s big set pieces” which the team believe forms the most crucial moments of the process.

Imagined crises
This isn’t the first time England 2018 have had a crisis decreed by their own press corps. Almost a year ago to the day I sat in a back room of Doha’s Ritz Carlton while England’s former bid chairman David Triesman was torn apart by a roomful of merciless journalists.

Crimes real and imagined were reeled off by his compatriots: not giving out promotional bags at a football industry conference, arguments over the composition of the bid board, ungracious remarks Jack Warner made while on a visit to London. One journalist decreed “We just don’t like you very much” and probably got to the nub of their opprobrium. A colleague described himself “embarrassed” to be present at this character assassination.

England 2018 quickly turned things around, at least in their public’s eye. They were aided in several key personnel developments. Within days of the Doha briefing the board had been trimmed down, including the departure of one individual deemed “poisonous” by his former colleagues. By strange coincidence the damaging leaks from England’s bid team stopped virtually overnight.

They were helped too by the appointment of the Harvard-educated Simon Greenberg as chief of staff, one of the sharpest minds in the game. By turns dogmatic and charming, he had acquired a reputation among journalists for being a man not to be meddled with in his former role as director of communications at Chelsea. This period coincided with the first days of Roman Abramovich’s ownership of the club and Jose Mourinho’s controversial tenure as manager; keeping the club out of the papers was as much a prerogative as keeping them in. What better grounding for someone about to step into the eye of the storm of the most bitched about bid of the ten contenders?

Sticks and carrots were used to bring the laddish and virulent English press corps onside. Access to the unfortunate Triesman, the most briefed against figure in British sport, was limited overnight. The most malicious journalists were called into line. The sort of set-piece PR disaster witnessed in Doha would no longer be conceivable, but subtle methods were used as well.

The increased focus and discipline coincided with the rise to public prominence of its CEO, Andy Anson. Previously he had been treated like a jealously guarded secret by his media advisers, his few public appearances limited to heavily scripted platitudes about English football’s passion. Unkind comparisons to the hapless former England manager Steve McLaren – to whom he bears a passing physical resemblance – were sometimes made.

But finally let off the leash and allowed to speak for himself, he showed himself in public to be an erudite and skilful operator and that the destiny of England’s bid could be in no better hands than his own. Certainly, few other people in the entire bid process have worked harder or travelled further than Anson.

England 2018 were soon back on track and the renewed momentum carried them through their worst crisis, when bid chairman David Triesman was the victim of a tabloid sting in May, in which he was secretly taped making unfavourable remarks about rival bids. Bid sources have suggested that Triesman wanted to try and stick it out, but that his management team demanded he walk away. Within less than a day of the story breaking Triesman had stepped down, and the storm clouds started to clear.

Today bid sources describe that moment as a key moment in the campaign, not so much for the way that their ruthless treatment of Triesman was quickly vindicated, but for the way in which the whole country united around them. Anger at the Mail on Sunday was virtually universal. “It was proof to us that the whole country was on our side,” says one bid insider.

Inspection Report anticipated
England bid sources insist that the fundamentals of the bid have always been strong and that nothing really has changed. Anson has referred to the palaver this time last year as “noise”. Certainly, once England 2018 had secured its full £15million bid budget by applying a £250,000 levy to its 12 applicant host cities – as they did last December – there was little to carp about bid operations.

t’s important to remember that while all hell was breaking loose in Doha, England 2018’s technical director, Ian Riley, was quietly at work on the bid book. FIFA is expected to deliver its verdict in the next ten days on the technical bids, but after the FIFA visit in August, inspection chairman, Harold Mayne-Nicholls hailed a “perfect” trip to England – breaking with his cautious protocol.

The one fear that England 2018 might justifiably have is that the technical document is re-written for political reasons.

Ten years ago, when England were bidding for the 2006 tournament, they were ranked third, behind rivals Germany and South Africa. Former sports minister Tony Banks described himself "spitting blood" at a "total stitch-up" and the FA described it as a “travesty of justice.”

It compared minor failings in English stadia which were already built with designs for stadia elsewhere that remained on the drawing board, while ranking England’s security guarantees below South Africa. The report – which was delayed then as well – followed positive comments by inspection chairman Alan Rotheburg when he was in England.

A Parliamentary report subsequently concluded:

“The report of the Inspection Group emerged only a few days before the final decision on where the 2006 FIFA World Cup would be held, and was recognized as a less than objective analysis by some members of the FIFA Executive Committee. Nevertheless, the study may have given members of that Committee with doubts about the England bid a respectable cover for switching allegiance.”

At England 2018 headquarters at Wembley Stadium they await the 2018 inspection report eagerly and believe that FIFA will do the right thing. As we approach the final lap of bidding, the bid team will tell you that England’s destiny rests on this verdict and the final presentations in Zurich, not “noise” about the whims of FIFA Ex-co members and their supposed concerns about the British media.

But at the same time they would do well to heed the lessons of the 2006 bid.

“The most important lesson of the England bid for the 2006 World Cup is that extraneous factors and the politics of international sport will always matter as much as if not more than the inherent technical strengths of a bid,” concluded the parliamentary report.

“In consequence, bidding for events of this nature will remain a hazardous business. This is a lesson that should not be lost on other sports and other sporting organizations in this country.”

Link
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #1419
MysteryMike
BANNED

It's technical report time
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #1420
MysteryMike
BANNED