daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 18th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #1481
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

FORGET the stadiums, and forget the transport and accommodation plans. All England needs to win the right to host the 2018 World Cup is a good Royal wedding! Apparently, Prince William's engagement to Kate Middleton could boost the country's bid to host the tournament.

Prince William is the Football Association president and so will form part of England 2018's delegation for their final presentation to Fifa at the 2 December vote in Zurich.

England 2018 chief executive Andy Anson would not be drawn yesterday on whether Wills will be asked to have his bride-to-be in tow when he lobbies Fifa executive committee members in the build-up to next month's vote but he does think that news of this week's engagement could act as a trump card against the likes of Spain and Portugal, who are launching a joint bid.

"This is fantastic news and, if it has a halo effect for our bid, then all well and good," said Anson, who will also call on the likes of David Cameron and David Beckham. "He has done a fantastic job anyway. He's got charisma, he loves his football.

"In the build-up to the final vote, he will definitely have a lobbying role to play."

http://sport.scotsman.com/english/Ch...ost.6630401.jp
MysteryMike no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #1482
crazyalex

Likes (Received): 19

Meanwhile in England.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9J4xDTJgro

Beligum & Netherlands 2018
Australia 2022
crazyalex no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #1483
RobH

Likes (Received): 10338

Another ****
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #1484
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyalex View Post
Meanwhile in England.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9J4xDTJgro

Beligum & Netherlands 2018
Australia 2022
Yes, there's racial tension between extreme groups, happens everywhere and the fact it's widely condemned but allowed to happen shows that England and the UK is a very open society.
Old November 18th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #1485
RobH

Fed up with this joke of a forum and trolls like you
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #1486
steveedster

Likes (Received): 15

I feel airing the Panorama program 2 days before the vote is sensationalist and not 'in the public good'. They should put back this program. If the findings were that important they should have quietly informed FIFA and released a program at a later date. If they insist on reporting old issues that have already been dealt with it will just feel to FIFA like the media in England is having a dig at them. Obviously from outside the country human nature may very well kick in and think why award it to this country when they think that of us.

I also feel that entrapment style stings are really not very good in that way. I lot of people may not actually be 'actively corrupt' but may be easily led, a difference should be made here, I am not defending what was revealed as it is clearly wrong, but so was our FA buying members wives expensive handbags etc!

If we lose the right to host 2018, the ultimately self serving 'free press' will certainly be to blame in my opinion as we were clear favorites at one stage before all this kicked off.
steveedster no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #1487
RobH

Depends what the BBC documentary contains really, but I feel you'd probably be in the minority taking that point of view - especially with regard to the Times' thorough and well-run investigation.

Anyway, despite the performance 85,000+ at Wembley for a meaningless friendly on a cold November evening ain't bad. I don't think many countries would manage that.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #1488
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Anyway, despite the performance 85,000+ at Wembley for a meaningless friendly on a cold November evening ain't bad. I don't think many countries would manage that.
Certainly isn't bad, I think France may had something to do with it though. If I recall, England is having trouble selling out Euros.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #1489
okulaja

Qatar...it amazing

okulaja no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #1490
okulaja

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKWxzJWvtYs
okulaja no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #1491
RobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Certainly isn't bad, I think France may had something to do with it though. If I recall, England is having trouble selling out Euros.
I think it was 75k (including me ) in the match vs Montenegro. Not a full house but still a pretty good turnout.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #1492
slipperydog

C'mon Rob, honestly what was that yesterday, what's wrong with your team? England is pretty freaking terrible at soccer right now! Henderson, Barry, Jagielka?? You guys need some new blood fast, and by 'new' I mean more than Andy Carroll...
Old November 18th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #1493
RobH

I didn't watch yesterday's match so can't really comment, but it didn't sound pretty.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #1494
slipperydog

Eh, it's alright. Just kind of dumbfounded at their play recently...feel bad for the fans who are spending money in a bad economy following this mediocre team around the world. Nothing seems to be getting better.
Old November 18th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #1495
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7064

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
I didn't watch yesterday's match so can't really comment, but it didn't sound pretty.
Did you not watched the match yesterday? Knowing you, it's impossible to belive in this.
AlekseyVT no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #1496
RobH

No, I was busy.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #1497
RobH

---
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #1498
MysteryMike
BANNED

The prime minister David Cameron has telephoned Jack Warner, a Fifa vice-president, to invite him to lunch in an effort to boost England's hopes of hosting the 2018 World Cup.

Warner's support is perhaps the most crucial for England to capture and that is reflected by Cameron's invitation to lunch ahead of the vote in Zurich on 2 December.

Warner is president of the Concacaf confederation and could deliver three votes to England, and is also a government minister in Trinidad.

He told the Trinidad newspaper Newsday: "He called to ask me for my support for the English bid and he asked me to join him for lunch next week, Thursday, and he hoped [David] Beckham was a good ambassador and said that if there was anything he can do for Trinidad and Tobago he will be prepared to do so."

Warner said he had still to decide which way he would vote but appeared to write off the chances of Spain/Portugal and Holland/Belgium, telling Cameron that Russia are England's main rivals.

"If he can overcome the Russian bid, which I think is gaining momentum, he doesn't have a problem," added Warner. "I don't think he has to worry about the other countries too much."

Warner said he was certain England 2018 would present a compelling argument to Fifa's executive committee.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...rner-2018-vote
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #1499
Mr Trebus
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekseyVT View Post
Did you not watched the match yesterday? Knowing you, it's impossible to belive in this.
i think he was sleeping with your mum
Mr Trebus no está en línea  
Old November 18th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #1500
RobH

I wouldn't trust this man as far as I could throw him and think it's sickening that he still has a position of power within FIFA, but I've just read a Guardian article and Warner was quoted in it, apparently writing off all of England's rivals apart from Russia:

Warner said he had still to decide which way he would vote but appeared to write off the chances of Spain/Portugal and Holland/Belgium, telling Cameron that Russia are England's main rivals.

"If he can overcome the Russian bid, which I think is gaining momentum, he doesn't have a problem," added Warner. "I don't think he has to worry about the other countries too much."

Interesting...

Link
RobH no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018