daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 18th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #1501
DenilsonUK

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Certainly isn't bad, I think France may had something to do with it though. If I recall, England is having trouble selling out Euros.
If I remember correctly, there was 'officially' 3k French there last night. There was pockets of them all over the stadium though, especially behind the goal they were attacking in the first half, so I'd say there was maybe 4/5k of them altogether. Like RobH says, 80k+ for a friendly on a night like last night isn't too bad - especially when the majority knew that it was going to be a weak team playing.

I can't think of any positives to come out of last night, Carroll had barely any service to make any kind of impact, Henderson was anonymous in the middle of the park and Gibbs had no cover from Milner at all.. and then we had the usual dross served up from the likes of Barry (God knows how he is playing top level football, one of the most overrated players in English football) & co.
DenilsonUK no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #1502
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

The French junior team played much better than their senior team has played for a long time.

Last edited by MysteryMike; November 19th, 2010 at 03:59 AM.
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2010, 03:54 AM   #1503
MysteryMike
BANNED

In Lisbon, Portugal welcomed World Champion Spain in arguably the match of the day. Both managers fielded their very best XI (not to mention six players each from Barcelona and Real Madrid) in what proved to be an open, clever, and aesthetic game of football. The hosts shredded Spain to pieces on the counter and thoroughly embarrassed them 4-0, in what turned out to be anything but a “friendly.” Two, late, bone-crunching tackles exchanged between Busquets and Ronaldo highlighted the intensity on the pitch. But this match was also staged as a presentation of the Iberian Peninsula’s bid for the World Cup. Patches affixed to the sleeves of the players heralded the joint Spanish-Portuguese bid, as did Luis Figo’s presence in the stands (shocker). Unfortunately, they were the only ones interested.

The teams played in front of a lackluster 20,000 fans at Benfica’s Estadio da Luz, well short of the 66,000 capacity. Empty sections littered the stadium. Whether from lack of faith in the Portuguese squad after recent performances, or a failure by Portuguese football officials to promote and advertise this match thoroughly, or even a combination of both, the bid failed to muster much excitement. Any FIFA representative with a vote would be hard-pressed to find satisfaction in Portugal’s s overall commitment to host the grandest competition on the planet.

Meanwhile a bit farther north, England faced off against their eternal rival France in front of a sold out Wembley. Braving the cold, rainy weather, 90,000 supporters filled the stadium and added a level of passion and competitive atmosphere to showcase Old Blighty. And to be fair, nobody has ever questioned the passion of English football fans. But on a day when their rivals missed an opportunity, the English presence was ever more noticeable. Results aside, and the hosts were thoroughly outclassed by a more organized and creative France, viewers were treated to a fever pitch atmosphere rarely seen at such friendlies.

It was a breathe of fresh air for the bidding process. The past few months have produced some of the most disingenuous and slanderous attacks between bidding nations (in England’s case within their own camp as well). For once, we could ignore the bureaucrats and party wrangling over Lord Triesman and Russian racism and Qatar’s unfathomable summer heat. For once, ball and foot spoke louder than words. The paying public, not the greedy aristocracy, had a chance to plead their country’s case. FIFA saw a disinterested base of support in one half of the Iberian bid, even though the champions were put to the sword. On the other hand, an enamored English public came out to make their voices heard through action and attendance.

France may have dulled their hearts in the short term, but the English public enhanced their country’s bid last night more than they could have imagined.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/11...eat-to-france/
Old November 19th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #1504
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9719

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Anyway, despite the performance 85,000+ at Wembley for a meaningless friendly on a cold November evening ain't bad. I don't think many countries would manage that.
I was there and I enjoyed the "meaningless" game !! (despite the rainy and cold weather)
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #1505
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Evaluation report about England:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tour.../53/b6enge.pdf
Mr.Underground no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #1506
Hansadyret

Likes (Received): 620

I'm sure Warner has gotten some shipping of Vodka(or something else) from Russia. This guy is one of the most corrupt persons in international sports. It's just crazy that he is still the vice president of Fifa. It just shows what Blatter is made of, keeping his hand over him to keep his power.
Hansadyret no está en línea  
Old November 19th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #1507
RobH

Likes (Received): 10345

Not wrong there. He's got an international friendly, a David Beckham Academy, and lunch from the PM courtest of England's bid. It's quite sickening that bids are under pressure to treat people like him as VIPs.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 19th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #1508
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Not wrong there. He's got an international friendly, a David Beckham Academy, and lunch from the PM courtest of England's bid. It's quite sickening that bids are under pressure to treat people like him as VIPs.
What about the likes of George Bush, Bill Clinton, Alan Greenspan etc etc, there are far worse people in the world who get treated like VIP's than Jack Warner. At least Jack Warner can't ruin the world, although him being a parliamentarian is a bit of a concern but supposedly he does nothing there.
Old November 19th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #1509
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9719

................................ (But yes I agree !...BTW: Who is Jack Warner (???))

parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #1510
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
................................ (But yes I agree !...BTW: Who is Jack Warner (???))

Jack Warner is a FIFA vice president, right hand man to Blatter and he is the one of the voting executives for CONCACAF (The North American and Caribbean region). He is from Trinidad and Tobacco. This video will explain a bit more about some of his activities.

Old November 20th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #1511
Gondolier

Too bad, MystressMike...whether you like him or not, Mr. Warner is on the FIFA board. And nuttin' you can do about it!!
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #1512
gincan
Gincan

Likes (Received): 182

Fot the FIFA World Cup 2018 I can only see two serious contenders, one is UK and one is Portugal/Spain. The other bidders lack in a number of areas.

UK vs Portugal/Spain

Airports

Here Portugal/Spain wins hands down, almost all are new modern and with lots of excess capacity. In UK most airports are runing att 100%+ capacity and delays are commonplace.

Railways

Here UK has the upper hand, faster, more frequent and more reliable. However, Spain and Portugal are in process of improving their railnetworks so by 2018 they might have an upper hand.

Highways

Portugal/Spain outclass UK by a factor of several, really there is no comparison.

Hotels

Portugal/Spain wins this one easily, the hotel capacity is huge and not only in the largest cities but also in the smaller ones.

Stadiums

Here UK wins hands down, newer, more comfortable and most often more accesible. However, the Portugal/Spain bid has some 300.000 more tickets on offer, that is ca 5000 more tickets per game available to the fans.

Organisation

This one UK wins, not only to they have way more experience with hooligans but they also have the answers to deal with them. The Olympics will give the organisers valuable experience and I can not see how Portugal/Spain could put up a better tournament.

IMO it is a pretty close one, both have pros and cons but the fact that UK hosted 1966 and Spain 1982 it think it will go to UK.

Last edited by gincan; November 20th, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
gincan no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #1513
ArchieTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveedster View Post
I feel airing the Panorama program 2 days before the vote is sensationalist and not 'in the public good'. They should put back this program. If the findings were that important they should have quietly informed FIFA and released a program at a later date. If they insist on reporting old issues that have already been dealt with it will just feel to FIFA like the media in England is having a dig at them. Obviously from outside the country human nature may very well kick in and think why award it to this country when they think that of us.

I also feel that entrapment style stings are really not very good in that way. I lot of people may not actually be 'actively corrupt' but may be easily led, a difference should be made here, I am not defending what was revealed as it is clearly wrong, but so was our FA buying members wives expensive handbags etc!

If we lose the right to host 2018, the ultimately self serving 'free press' will certainly be to blame in my opinion as we were clear favorites at one stage before all this kicked off.
Call me cynical, but if the world cup is in held in the UK 100 BBC employees don't get a months trip aboard. Maybe that explains their reluctance to back the bid.
ArchieTheGreat no está en línea  
Old November 20th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #1514
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
Too bad, MystressMike...whether you like him or not, Mr. Warner is on the FIFA board. And nuttin' you can do about it!!
Did I also mention he's going after Africa's world cup slot? Yeah try love him now If anything he's even working against the US bid, because not even he believes in it, just as your other confederation executive Salguero from Guatemala as well doesn't believe in it. No government guarantees, backed by failing economy = FAIL for the US bid. Who knows where the US could be in 12 years time, might be one of China's outposts, ready for the 2034 edition
Old November 20th, 2010, 11:37 PM   #1515
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
Did I also mention he's going after Africa's world cup slot? Yeah try love him now If anything he's even working against the US bid, because not even he believes in it, just as your other confederation executive Salguero from Guatemala as well doesn't believe in it. No government guarantees, backed by failing economy = FAIL for the US bid. Who knows where the US could be in 12 years time, might be one of China's outposts, ready for the 2034 edition
Pls don't make me laugh.

BTW, It's going to be Russia 2018 and USA 2022. That's being decided at the NATO meet in Lisbon this very week. Byeeee UK and OZ!!
Old November 20th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #1516
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Pls don't make me laugh.

BTW, It's going to be Russia 2018 and USA 2022. That's being decided at the NATO meet in Lisbon this very week. Byeeee UK and OZ!!
Do you think Russia and USA will host WC in 2018 and in 2022?

BTW, what 're your favourite bids for both the editions?
Mr.Underground no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 12:27 AM   #1517
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Underground View Post
Do you think Russia and USA will host WC in 2018 and in 2022?

BTW, what 're your favourite bids for both the editions?
I think the UK and the USA are the sanest, safest bids. Nearly all the stadia are already there. You don't have to have this stadium-building frenzy that we saw in Korea and Japan...that Russia, Oz and Qatar hope to emulate with all their lofty, air-headed ideals...and will only make stadium-designers and contractors and websites like this, rich. We all know how that crush of stadia in Japan and Korea 8 years ago have not amounted to much!!
Old November 21st, 2010, 12:46 AM   #1518
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
I think the UK and the USA are the sanest, safest bids. Nearly all the stadia are already there. You don't have to have this stadium-building frenzy that we saw in Korea and Japan...that Russia, Oz and Qatar hope to emulate with all their lofty, air-headed ideals...and will only make stadium-designers and contractors and websites like this, rich. We all know how that crush of stadia in Japan and Korea 8 years ago have not amounted to much!!
Wait wait, this is the same person who say goodbye to England? Please you just have no idea at all, you even contradict your own embarrassing statements. Australia's stadiums are pretty much ready already, they have 12 years to fix whatever else is required. You comparing the purpose built English football stadiums with US gridiron garbage is an embarrassment as well. England and Australia both have complete bipartisan government support for their bid, compared to the US where it's totally unstable in every sense, both economically and politically, nobody knows who's supporting who and we have people like Glen Beck on one side. I'm sure a small band of USSF tossers don't count and the fact the costings for the USSF is total garbage, mean FIFA are extremely nervous about the US bid, including 2 out of 3 confederation executives for a confederation that has no other bidder is embarrassing.

Last edited by MysteryMike; November 21st, 2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:14 AM   #1519
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

It's a bit rich of Jack Warner to need any more convincing from the England bid. He already successfully blackmailed the English FA into playing a friendly on his island that he just happened to control the ticketing for. But that was yesterday's favour and for Jack it's "what have you done for me lately?"
JYDA no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 02:17 AM   #1520
JYDA

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
Wait wait, this is the same person who say goodbye to England? Please you just have no idea at all, you even contradict your own embarrassing statements. Australia's stadiums are pretty much ready already, they have 12 years to fix whatever else is required. You comparing the purpose built English football stadiums with US gridiron garbage is an embarrassment as well. England and Australia both have complete bipartisan government support for their bid, compared to the US where it's totally unstable in every sense, both economically and politically, nobody knows who's supporting who and we have people like Glen Beck on one side. I'm sure a small band of USSF tossers don't count and the fact the costings for the USSF is total garbage, mean FIFA are extremely nervous about the US bid, including 2 out of 3 confederation executives for a confederation that has no other bidder is embarrassing.

You actually have a lot in common with Glenn Beck.... Nobody with an IQ exceeding 40 takes you seriously
JYDA no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018