daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 21st, 2010, 02:50 AM   #1521
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYDA View Post
It's a bit rich of Jack Warner to need any more convincing from the England bid. He already successfully blackmailed the English FA into playing a friendly on his island that he just happened to control the ticketing for. But that was yesterday's favour and for Jack it's "what have you done for me lately?"
England has done more for Jack Warner and in more particular Trinidad Football than the entire USSF bs brigade have ever done. That's why Jack Warner is out on a sabotage mission for the US bid.
MysteryMike no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:32 AM   #1522
Gondolier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMike View Post
England has done more for Jack Warner and in more particular Trinidad Football than the entire USSF bs brigade have ever done. That's why Jack Warner is out on a sabotage mission for the US bid.
Uh-huh!
Gondolier no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM   #1523
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
Uh-huh!
I agree on the last bit
Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:42 AM   #1524
MysteryMike
BANNED

Last edited by MysteryMike; November 21st, 2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old November 21st, 2010, 01:42 PM   #1525
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
I think the UK and the USA are the sanest, safest bids. Nearly all the stadia are already there. You don't have to have this stadium-building frenzy that we saw in Korea and Japan...that Russia, Oz and Qatar hope to emulate with all their lofty, air-headed ideals...and will only make stadium-designers and contractors and websites like this, rich. We all know how that crush of stadia in Japan and Korea 8 years ago have not amounted to much!!
The ones in Japan are in regular use. The domestic league is fairly healthy, with a top division average over 19000. Urawa average 44000.

The Korean stadiums were white elephants though, but you can blame that on FIFA for not just awarding the cup to Japan, as originally planned.
Rev Stickleback no está en línea  
Old November 21st, 2010, 09:28 PM   #1526
Harry1990

Likes (Received): 45

wish some of the clubs would come out with if and when the will be increasing capicity in their grounds, as some are a little to small in my opinion,
i know leeds, villa, sheffield wednesday etc are expanding their grounds but any new on sunderland maybe increasing to 56k or newcastle to 60k i think if we get the WC than hopefully because we also have the rugby world cup in 2015 than the venie s that are being used in both like SJP, Elland Road, liverpool current or old can be expanded or built nice and early so we don't have last minute dash to complete them.

i do wish that forrest we keeping the city ground though i think they new ground looks preety horrible imo
Harry1990 no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:32 PM   #1527
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry1990 View Post
wish some of the clubs would come out with if and when the will be increasing capicity in their grounds, as some are a little to small in my opinion,
i know leeds, villa, sheffield wednesday etc are expanding their grounds but any new on sunderland maybe increasing to 56k or newcastle to 60k i think if we get the WC than hopefully because we also have the rugby world cup in 2015 than the venie s that are being used in both like SJP, Elland Road, liverpool current or old can be expanded or built nice and early so we don't have last minute dash to complete them.

i do wish that forrest we keeping the city ground though i think they new ground looks preety horrible imo
Capacity won't make a difference, England has the best footballing grounds going around and with developments within Liverpool etc occurring they will only get better.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 02:37 PM   #1528
plasticterminator

Likes (Received): 16

Russia will win, this is a political vote not a technical one. Go Russia go!
plasticterminator no está en línea  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:05 PM   #1529
Rev Stickleback

Quote:
Capacity won't make a difference, England has the best footballing grounds going around and with developments within Liverpool etc occurring they will only get better.
Germany's grounds are considerably better than England's. Bigger, better, and they somehow have the ability to build new grounds that are distinctive and have character.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:36 PM   #1530
MysteryMike
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Stickleback View Post
Germany's grounds are considerably better than England's. Bigger, better, and they somehow have the ability to build new grounds that are distinctive and have character.
I don't think so, nobody can match the iconic stature of England's football grounds. These clubs and grounds have history and an atmosphere that you won't get at no plastic ground made tomorrow. The clubs themselves make the ground, it belongs to that club and that ground is the symbolic home of the people within the town. You can make the most gigantic stadium in the world, pave it with gold and put dancing ballerinas at the top of the stadium but will they have the character and symbolism of English grounds? No, they won't. When you talk football grounds around the world, the grounds people know are Anfield, St James's Park, Stamford Bridge etc etc, they are English grounds, not some yankee doo grid iron stadium or some bundelisga arena that no one can pronounce the name of.

Last edited by MysteryMike; November 22nd, 2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM   #1531
RobH

Likes (Received): 10347

Mike, you're getting seriously embarrassing.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:57 PM   #1532
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticterminator View Post
Russia will win, this is a political vote not a technical one. Go Russia go!
Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:18 PM   #1533
RobH

Jack Warner blasts Panorama

FIFA vice-president Jack Warner has hit out at BBC Panorama's investigation into World Cup bidding by claiming it has been "deliberately designed to negatively impact" on England's chances of hosting the 2018 tournament. []

Panorama are planning to screen a programme next Monday, three days before the vote, and have written to Warner as well as FIFA president Sepp Blatter asking for responses to a number of allegations.

Warner, whose vote is crucial to England's hopes, has been targeted by Panorama in the past and he claims it is "a personal vendetta" and that the programme is merely returning to old allegations.

England 2018 leaders last week branded the BBC "unpatriotic" for screening the investigation so close to the vote, fearing it will lead to a backlash from FIFA members.

Warner told Press Association Sport in an email: "I am sure it's a personal vendetta. But it is sooooooooooo stupid... for it can have no effect on me personally or on anyone else in the FIFA for that matter.

"In my personal opinion, it is deliberately designed to negatively impact on England's chances.

"It is just a rehash of the same old b******* so I continue to sleep very soundly at nights."

Link

---------

We'll have to see what the programme contains, but it's hardly a surprise that the most greasy, corrupt man in FIFA doesn't like the idea of this documentary.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:58 PM   #1534
Rev Stickleback

Quote:
I don't think so, nobody can match the iconic stature of England's football grounds. These clubs and grounds have history and an atmosphere that you won't get at no plastic ground made tomorrow. The clubs themselves make the ground, it belongs to that club and that ground is the symbolic home of the people within the town. You can make the most gigantic stadium in the world, pave it with gold and put dancing ballerinas at the top of the stadium but will they have the character and symbolism of English grounds? No, they won't. When you talk football grounds around the world, the grounds people know are Anfield, St James's Park, Stamford Bridge etc etc, they are English grounds, not some yankee doo grid iron stadium or some bundelisga arena that no one can pronounce the name of.
Being iconic doesn't make a ground good. The old Wembley was more iconic than any English league ground, but it was still a cramped crumbling dump with awful views. The new Wembley is pretty iconic too, but if you go there you get the distinct feeling every was designed for those in the executive seats, and everything else was an afterthought.

But if you are having trouble pronouncing some if the German stadiums, you could point them out and maybe someone would give you tips.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:56 PM   #1535
MysteryMike
BANNED

David Dein, president of the England 2018 World Cup bid, says his bid team is working flat out to bring the World Cup back to the country for the first time since 1966.

Speaking to reporters at the Soccerex Global Convention in Rio, Dein said: "It's a critical time, everybody is working full-out now to try and get the World Cup back to England in 2018.

"We have to concentrate on one thing only, to give it our best shot. We are in it to win it. Hopefully we will get a good result and we need the country behind us."

The former Arsenal and FA vice-chairman claimed the excitement around the build-up the Brazil 2014 World Cup had made the England bid even more determined to see off rivals Holland-Belgium, Russia and Spain-Portugal to win the hosting rights on Dec. 2.

"That's what we have been working for these past two years. We have a few very interesting days to come. Obviously we want to do our best and we are in it to win it, that's all I can say at this time."

Dein made a brief appearance at the conference, giving a presentation to delegates on the evolution of the English Premier League, before catching a plane to Paraguay. Talking to reporters, he insisted the EPL was a great advert for English football and the bid. "We have a lot going for us," he said.

The England 2018 bid is staging a day-long safety and security seminar at the home of CONMEBOL in the Paraguyan capital Asuncion on Tuesday, part of its campaign to woo the South American FIFA Executive Committee members.

Serving as a meeting to educate South American federations and clubs affiliated to CONMEBOL, it will give Dein - the most well-connected member of the England bid - a chance to rub shoulders with the confederation president Nicolas Leoz and leading football officials from the region.

Delegates were treated to a world exclusive of the trailer to "The night football changed forever", which looks at how a clandestine meeting in May 1990 between senior officials of the top five English clubs led to the formation of the Premier League and dramatically transformed the landscape of English football. The league became a "runaway success", Dein says in the film.

By way of explanation, Dein pointed out that the Premier League's turnover in 1992/93 was a meagre 46 million pounds, with average attendances of just 21,125

In 2010/11, the EPL's turnover is 1.25 billion pounds and average gates are 34,000.

"In UEFA, it's the first league for the money it achieves and it goes out to 210 countries around the world."

Asked how the EPL could sustain its growth, Dein predicted that stadia would continue to get bigger - making reference to the new venues planned for Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur - while TV income and sponsorship revenues would also increase "always assuming the game is kept attractive".

In turn, he said, the EPL would continue to offer the biggest salaries and attract the best players.

"You pay the best money, you get the best talent," he said.

Before his speech at the conference, Dein presented FIFA honorary president Joao Havelange with a shirt of his favourite European team Arsenal, which was emblazoned with the 94-year-old's name. Despite his age, Havelange had showed the sharpness of his mind in a lengthy and wide-ranging interview conducted by two Brazilian icons of broadcast and print journalism.

http://www.worldfootballinsider.com/Story.aspx?id=33912
Old November 23rd, 2010, 03:13 PM   #1536
MysteryMike
BANNED

Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport Jeremy Hunt arrived in Kuala Lumpur today to encourage support for Englandís 2018 World Cup bid.

Mr Hunt joined England 2018 chairman Geoff Thompson, chief executive Andy Anson and ambassador Paul Elliott to highlight Englandís strong case to host the tournament to football world governing body FIFAís Asian members.

The delegation will stress the legacy aspects of Englandís bid such as the FAís Football United project that will use the power of football to benefit the lives of young people around the world by investing in grassroots projects.

http://www.culture.gov.uk/news/news_stories/7583.aspx
Old November 23rd, 2010, 05:40 PM   #1537
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
I don't know where to start with this

If you seriously believe that the atmosphere inside English stadiums is great then you are totally and utterly deluded. Up there with the legendary urban football myth that Newcastle have the best fans in the world. The majority of the fans in England who would make a noise for 90 minutes have been out-priced from attending and have been replaced with families waiting to be entertained whilst eating their sandwiches from their lunch boxes.

Anfield is a very famous football ground and along with Old Trafford it is the most famous club ground in England. Iconic? Possibly. But trying to say that St James Park and Stamford Bridge are iconic world-renowned stadiums is laughable. And embarrassing.

I'm hoping and praying that England fails in its attempt to secure the 2018 World cup because the utter nonsense spouted by MysteryMike will be repeated by numpties across the country, that and the fact that England will win the thing. Oh God, please spare us this..........please.
AdidasGazelle no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:31 PM   #1538
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Must be imaginging the noise on the telly.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:55 PM   #1539
RobH

Prime Minister David Cameron will spend three days in Zurich next week lobbying on behalf of England's 2018 World Cup bid, Downing Street has announced.

The prime minister's decision to travel to Switzerland so far in advance of the 2 December vote will be seen as a major boost to England's campaign.

Cameron is likely to meet most of the 22 members of Fifa's executive committee during his visit.

Russia, Spain/Portugal and Netherlands/Belgium are also vying for the vote.

Cameron had been expected to be in Zurich for the final hours of the campaign, but it has now been agreed that he will travel to Switzerland on Tuesday, more than 48 hours before the Fifa vote.

He is likely to return briefly to London for Prime Minister's Questions on the Wednesday, before flying back to Zurich later that evening.

Link
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:51 PM   #1540
MysteryMike
BANNED

England bid superior to rivals

Gordon Taylor, a vice-president on England's 2018 World Cup bid committee, does not believe any of the other bids to host the 2018 finals can compete with his nation's.

Taylor, also chief executive of the English Professional Footballers' Association, is confident that England will be awarded the 2018 World Cup when the final vote takes place on December 2 and revealed his hope that all outside influences will be put aside in order for FIFA to vote on the best bid.

"I would like to see a better bid than ours," Taylor told ESPNsoccernet. "If Russia or the joint bid from Spain and Portugal win then fair enough, if it's better than ours, but I don't believe that it is.

"What is going on with Panorama and the investigation with the Sunday Times might have jeopardised the bid, as everyone seems to think, but that would be appalling, because it has nothing to do with the bid.

"Politics could scupper England's bid, but it shouldn't be allowed to as politics should not dictate to sport, and when you look at the bid process, it shouldn't have an effect. Instead, look at the bids - that's the idea of it, and our bid is the best."

Taylor feels that the global appeal of the Premier League and England's rich footballing heritage is what marks the bid out as better than those of rivals Russia and Spain/Portugal.

"Our stadiums, our love of the game, the way we welcome so many people from all over the world - not just players and managers but fans as well - the travel system, the hotels, the willingness of foreign players to come here and the way foreign players like Didier Drogba have backed the bid and feel that England is like home from home," he said.

"We are so multi-national and no other country has so many players from different parts of the world - there were more England-based players at the World Cup than any other nation.

"I believe the World Cup should be coming home to England. We've not staged the World Cup since 1966 and since then we have been a model for the rest of the world to follow in the way we have reconstructed our all-seater stadia, our crowd control. Safety is such a priority, and our supporters in South Africa in the summer were commended on their behaviour.

"From Argentina to Japan, to Korea and around Europe, there are nations who love English football, and I know for a fact how many of them would be so pleased if the World Cup was held in this country.

"Of course, I would never be presumptuous and say I am convinced that we shall prevail but, yes, I am confident. We have the finest bid and the best ability to host it. As I have said, if we do not win it I want to know what has made the successful country earn the votes and what they've got that we haven't got."

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/58634.html

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018