daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 26th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #1561
RobH

Likes (Received): 10345

Anyyyyyway......

Five former England internationals are to bolster the 2018 World Cup bid team in Zurich next week as the battle to secure votes continues.

Sir Bobby Charlton, Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer, Andy Cole and John Barnes join a 30-man party that is led by Football Association president Prince William.

Prime Minister David Cameron, England boss Fabio Capello and ex-captain David Beckham are also in the delegation.

Full England 2018 delegation:
HRH Prince William of Wales (FA president)
Rt Hon David Cameron, (Prime Minister)
David Beckham (vice-president, England 2018)
Andy Anson (England 2018 chief executive)
David Dein (international president, England 2018)
Eddie Afekafe (ambassador, England 2018)
Lord Coe (England 2018 board member)
Roger Burden (acting FA chairman)
Richard Scudamore (Premier League chief executive)
Greg Clarke (Football League chairman)
Rt Hon Jeremy Hunt (Secretary of State Culture, Media Sport & Olympics)
Paul Elliott (England 2018 board member)
Lord Mawhinney (England 2018 board member)
Andy Cole (football ambassador)
Rt Hon Hugh Robertson (Minister for Sport)
Sir Bobby Charlton (football ambassador)
Fabio Capello (England manager)
John Barnes (football ambassador)
Alan Shearer (football ambassador)
Gary Lineker (football ambassador)
Kadra Ege (legacy ambassador)
Boris Johnson (Mayor of London)

[The remaining eight places within the 30-man delegation are taken by support and technical staff from the bid team.]
RobH está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #1562
RobH

http://en.uefa.com/uefachampionsleag...d=1563427.html

UEFA Champions League final ambassador Gary Lineker says walking up the Wembley steps to lift a trophy "is about as special a feeling as you can get" as he looks ahead to the event.

UEFA Champions League final ambassador Gary Lineker tells UEFA.com his favourite Wembley moments and explains what makes the stadium unique as he looks ahead to the showpiece match in London next May. Having scored 25 goals at the famous old ground and won the FA Cup there with Tottenham Hotspur FC, the former England international is certainly well qualified on the subject.

UEFA.com: What makes Wembley so special?

Gary Lineker: It's got so much history. The original stadium had so much history going right back to FA Cup finals, the [FIFA] World Cup final, European Cup finals. All the players I think aspired, right around the world, to actually play there. I don't think that has changed with the new stadium. What you have now is the same environment, which is on the same site, but you've also got a beautiful stadium. The new Wembley is magnificent.

UEFA.com: And the memories are still there ...

Lineker: Very much so, it's still got the same sort of feel. Clearly that comes from the fact that it's on the same plot of land, really. Players will still dream of playing at Wembley and certainly they'll dream of playing the Champions League final at Wembley.

UEFA.com. What is your favourite Wembley memory?

Lineker: My favourite memory has to be the 1991 FA Cup final for Spurs. I played in two cup finals – one in 1986, which was the first all-Merseyside final, between Everton and Liverpool and even though I scored on that occasion, I ended up on the losing side. But I was determined to get back there one day and lift the cup and did it with Spurs.

UEFA.com: You had scored twice in the semi-final against Arsenal that season ...

Lineker: Yes, and that was the first-ever semi-final to be played at Wembley as well, which was almost as special a memory as the final, because it was such an important game. Arsenal were so strong – nobody fancied Tottenham to win on that occasion. But against the odds we did. I got two goals and Gazza [Paul Gascoigne] scored an unbelievable free-kick. But without winning the final, the semi-final would not have meant so much.

UEFA.com: Can you describe the feeling of walking up the steps to receive the trophy?

Lineker:"Walking up those steps to receive a trophy is just about as special a feeling as you can get". It's great they have kept that, it's really important. It's really hard walking up there when you have lost. Those steps seem very tiring. But when you've won, they don't seem to affect you at all.

UEFA.com: How does it feel to be the UEFA Champions League ambassador this season?

Lineker: It makes me feel proud. I think the Champions League is a wonderful competition, with the best teams in Europe, the best club competition in the world. And the fact it's coming to London as well, to Wembley – a long time since it's been in London. So it's great, and it's nice to be part and parcel of both the Champions League and the fact it's at Wembley.

UEFA.com: The last time a final was held at Wembley was in 1992 when your former club Barcelona beat Sampdoria ...

Lineker: I was at that game, I went along to watch. I had finished at Barcelona a few years previously, so I was desperately keen that they won it and they thoroughly deserved to. It was [Ronald] Koeman who knocked it away for the winner. It was a very emotional occasion and a terrific atmosphere, as there always was at Wembley and still is.

UEFA.com: It would be great to have another memorable goal like Koeman's perhaps this May ...

Lineker: Yes, terrific strike. Not many players can hit it as well as he used to do. Let's hope there's more than just one in this final. And it would also be nice perhaps to see an English team in the final. The fact it's in London, you've got three London teams as well, so there's probably more chance than you would normally have in the Champions League of actually getting a 'home-ish' team in the final.

UEFA.com: If you could play alongside a current UEFA Champions League striker, who would it be?

Lineker: I pick Messi all day long. It would be a dream to play with him as a striker – because not only does he beat people and score wonderful goals himself, he's also unselfish and a brilliant little passer of the ball around the box. I always love watching Lionel Messi play, he's just such a fabulous talent. He's one of those players that when you're watching a football match, you're desperate for him to have the ball, because he lights up any stadium.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 27th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #1563
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 650

Does anyone think that the fact that South America have said they will vote for Spain/Protugal will harm Englands bid?

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #1564
YearOfTheOx

Likes (Received): 0

The passion for football in England runs much deeper than the 'big' clubs though, there are over 110 full-time professional clubs.
Here's a clip from a game last season from the fifth tier of English football, I doubt you would get the same atmosphere in a game from the same level in any other country in the world.

Last edited by YearOfTheOx; November 27th, 2010 at 03:41 AM.
YearOfTheOx no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #1565
Trelawny
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Does anyone think that the fact that South America have said they will vote for Spain/Protugal will harm Englands bid?
Are you a girl? And yes.
Trelawny no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2010, 06:28 AM   #1566
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
Not greatly.

I'm pretty sure that virtually everyone within football circles already knew that the three South American delegates would support Spain / Portugal.

England certainly wouldn't have been counting on their votes. So the announcement makes no difference to them.
JimB no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #1567
RobH

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOfTheOx View Post
The passion for football in England runs much deeper than the 'big' clubs though, there are over 110 full-time professional clubs.
Here's a clip from a game last season from the fifth tier of English football, I doubt you would get the same atmosphere in a game from the same level in any other country in the world.
Indeed, in terms of total attendence the Championship (England's 2nd division) is the fourth best attended league in Europe, and average attendences are very similar to the Eredivisie and not far off the French Premier League.

League 1 (England's 3rd division) is roughly equivilent to the league above it in Spain, and indeed England has more than twice the number of professional clubs compared with the Spanish. England's 3rd division also draws 1m more fans than the Russian Premier League over the course of a season, and has an average attendence only a few thousand lower than the top league in Russia.

Only Germany really comes close to matching the sheer depth of the English game - and I'm not even sure Germany can match England below, say, level 3. This is something that should be pushed by our bid team. It is undoubtedly the biggest strength of our country's footballing history.

I always find this website to be very interesting, the Pyramid.info, showing the complete league structure in England:

http://www.thepyramid.info/asp/pyramid3.asp

And, even more detail here; a list of clubs and leagues in England by attendence (a couple of years old):

http://www.tonykempster.co.uk/attcomp.htm

And how appropriate that we should be talking about this on an FA Cup Weekend:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...up/9228363.stm

Last edited by RobH; November 27th, 2010 at 02:40 PM.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 27th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #1568
_X_

Likes (Received): 510

Valcke-"Qatar bought World Cup",Platini-" We can't air condition the beaches and the streets in Qatar",Chuck Blazer-"you can't air condition a whole country",Phillip Lahm-"Qatar decision'madness' ",Wenger-" Winter World Cup Would Cause Problems Between Clubs, Countries And FIFA"
_X_ no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #1569
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2210

i was thinking that england will win easily this bid but after seeing a report, i think russia is able to steal the show.

And you think the money "under the table" they can put..

But England did the same to win the olympics bid for 2012 because i honestly think in term of structures paris was ahead but it is another debate!

Sebastien Coe did the great part of the job
Old November 27th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #1570
RobH

London won because it presented a clear and brilliant concept which is coming nicely to fruition, combining new venues in a massive inner-city park with world renowned exisiting venues like Wembley, Wimbledon, Lords, Old Trafford, the O2 etc. London's final presentation was also, in every way, superior to Paris' which was dull and demanding. London outboxed Paris for 2012. Simple as that. Paris may have been ahead in terms of structures but nowhere does it say that the safest technical bid has to win.

If Russia wins it'll be because FIFA likes its concept, despite it being a long way behind England in terms of exisiting infrastructure. Unless you've evidence to the contrary rather than insinuations I'll take a Russian victory to be deserved - just as London 2012's was - and I'll certainly congratulate them if they win.

That's not to say there's not HUGE question marks over FIFA and their processes. Those question marks will be hanging over FIFA no matter who wins, as they have done for the last decade at least.

Last edited by RobH; November 27th, 2010 at 05:52 PM.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 27th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #1571
RobH

With only seven days to go until FIFA announces which nation will host the 2018 FIFA World Cup™, England's bid has received a major boost from sponsor Morrisons.

England legend Alan Shearer and actress, model and England fan Kelly Brook this morning delivered over 1.6 million signatures to the England 2018 Bid offices at Wembley. The giant petition was the result of an eight-month campaign by Morrisons, an official partner of the England 2018 bid, that encouraged its customers to Back the Bid by signing up in-store.

The campaign, which was launched by Shearer in March, has seen customers from across the country pledge their support for the bid and is believed to be amongst the largest petitions ever registered in England.

http://www.england2018bid.com/news/3...land-2018.aspx
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 27th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #1572
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolier View Post
England's going to need every vote it can muster especially with supporters like MiseryMike poisoning every other bid.
The levels of self delusion on this forum reaching new heights I see.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #1573
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

On the atmosphere thingy. Can anyone name the only nation which actually managed to drown out those bloody Vuvuzela's at the last world cup?

Ummm ... England.
Ecological no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #1574
RobH

Whatever you think of the atmospheres, a great weekend for the Premier League to go goal mad. 36 goals in 8 games. Good timing that.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 27th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #1575
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

And this is the difference between English fans and Everyone else. Its across the board.

100,000 Aussies ... and then the English

Outnumber the Yanks thousands of miles away for a Boxing Belt

Ecological no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #1576
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2210

english fans are stupid sometimes! how can they not respect and national anthem away?!!! They use to do this everytime when there's a big match! (argentina, germany, france in wembley 1999 etc...) It's just a stupid habit they have now! and all of those guys aren't even hooligans!!!

The same at wimbledon when a english player plays! they boo others players and applause each time if he makes a fault! just a shame

It's a shame! I don't want to see this if england has the world cup 2018!

Stop this exacerbated nationalism that leads to win nothing
Old November 27th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #1577
RobH

A minority of idiots Axel. Just like when Ashley Cole was booed every time he touched the ball vs Khazakstan at Wembley after he'd made a mistake for their goal. Some of the press ran with that as if the whole stadium was booing but, being in the stadium that night, I can tell you it was probably less than 1 in 20 people.

Quote:
The same at wimbledon when a english player plays! they boo others players and applause each time if he makes a fault! just a shame
That's not true (I've never ever heard that), and if it is, certainly not to the same extent as Roland Garros, the Grand Slam with by far the worst reputation in that regard. I've never seen a nasty crowd at Wimbledon but they can get quite partisan and nasty in the French Open. There is a definite culture of booing and heckling among a number of French tennis fans which you just don't get at any of the other Slams.

Nadal was booed at the French last time he played there. Sharapova, the Williams sisters and Hingis have experienced the same. By contrast, Nadal is loved at Wimbledon, and was cheered today at the O2 when he played and beat Murray in the ATP Masters semi-final.

Last edited by RobH; November 27th, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 27th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #1578
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
english fans are stupid sometimes! how can they not respect and national anthem away?!!! They use to do this everytime when there's a big match! (argentina, germany, france in wembley 1999 etc...) It's just a stupid habit they have now! and all of those guys aren't even hooligans!!!

I agree. The Barmy Army footage is terrific but the boxing fans are cringe worthy. Even England's football fans learned the hard way some time time ago that booing national anthems inevitably boosts the opposition's performance and it makes them look classless.
carlspannoosh no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #1579
JimB

Likes (Received): 4813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post

The same at Wimbledon? Booing of other players?

Stop making shit up, you silly sausage!

Yes, of course Wimbledon crowds get massively behind Andy Murray. They don't cheer because the other player has made a mistake. They cheer because Murray has won a point. Pretty obvious, I would have thought. Duh!

I guarantee you that you get the exact same reaction from fans in Paris when a French player is playing; or New York when an American is playing; or Melbourne when an Aussie is playing.

As to football fans booing opposition national anthems, that no longer happens in England. It went out with hooliganism.
JimB no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #1580
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 745

Actually I would also agree. Nothing wrong with the support at Wimbledon. I hadn't noticed Axelferis's tennis comment when i made my previous post.
carlspannoosh no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018