daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 30th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #141
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

A pitty. Like it better the way it is, so I wonīt wurry about it any more.
skaP187 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #142
BeestonLad
PQS

Likes (Received): 551

maybe you're on about Southamptons old ground?
BeestonLad no está en línea  
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #143
skaP187

Could be, did it have something like that? Sorry but sometimes I mix those two cities.
skaP187 no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2008, 01:22 AM   #144
NeilF
Reasons To Be Cheerful

Likes (Received): 3

I think it must be The Dell, Southampton F.C.'s old stadium, you're thinking of.

Last edited by NeilF; May 31st, 2008 at 01:33 AM.
NeilF no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:09 PM   #145
skaP187

I was looking on the internet and I am sure it is/was. So thatīs there old stadium then a shame. Another classic gone, I hope Sheffield Utd stays where it is and does not do anything to radicale to itīs stadium.
Sorry for taking the thread a little bit of topic.
skaP187 no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:41 PM   #146
petersc75

Likes (Received): 0

I think the British papers and radio's constant stream of negative opinion about our bid could ruin our chances. I get the feeling it will be like some awful self fulfilling prophecy and the more they talk about the negatives the less our chances are.

I hope I'm wrong but the UK's natural negativity may be our downfall.
petersc75 no está en línea  
Old May 31st, 2008, 06:13 PM   #147
Sparks

Likes (Received): 153

Had a specific thread made up here

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=504007

I cant believe anybody would pick Sunderland over Newcastle, there are secondary factors to consider as well.
Old June 25th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #148
HOI
Eh?

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronika View Post
It is inconceivable that England will host a world cup and not include yorkshire. If the current fortunes of Leeds and the scum (swfc) continue then it will be Bramall lane for sure as they have modernised on a regular basis now for 10 years and have plans to double teir the kop fill in remaining corner and expand hallam fm stand if neccessary for a world cup which would bring capacity in at 45,000. Leeds and weds would not entertain new stadia at the moment as they are struggling big time. The blades on the otherhand have been yorkshires top club for last 6 years either top 6 championship or lower parts of prem. They also get the 11th highest crowd in all english football last two seasons according to stats around 28,000 av in a 32k stadium which is good considering away support in championship is crap and it leaves often up to 3000 seats empty.
Leeds only have one good stand and whilst hilsboro is big it is truly one of the most dated stadiums left for a club of that size and truth be told all 4 stands need major upgrades if not replacement. If in 5 years leeds and weds have got back to where they were 10 years ago i.e top ten premier sides then anything is possible and yorkshire will be a difficult decision as it may well have 3 very decent 45,000 seater stads so who do you go for?
Seriously, if any stadium would be picked in Yorkshire it would be Elland Road. Maybe it's dated, but so are both the Sheffield clubs stadiums. We might be in league 1 at the moment, but we aren't in any trouble, now the debts are gone, Leeds is only making profits as of now and will probably be more of a likely candidate for stadium expansion than say Sheffield United. Leeds having the highest average attendance than any other club in England outside the Premiership and being in 'Division 3'. Being a one city football team and sold out 40k every home game in the prem, I think Leeds would be the only team in Yorkshire to fill out a large stadium expansion if they got back to the premiership, which hopefully should be to long.
HOI no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #149
berkshire royal

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOI View Post
Seriously, if any stadium would be picked in Yorkshire it would be Elland Road. Maybe it's dated, but so are both the Sheffield clubs stadiums. We might be in league 1 at the moment, but we aren't in any trouble, now the debts are gone, Leeds is only making profits as of now and will probably be more of a likely candidate for stadium expansion than say Sheffield United. Leeds having the highest average attendance than any other club in England outside the Premiership and being in 'Division 3'. Being a one city football team and sold out 40k every home game in the prem, I think Leeds would be the only team in Yorkshire to fill out a large stadium expansion if they got back to the premiership, which hopefully should be to long.
Yes Leeds might be the bigger club with bigger support but at the moment Elland Road is in a very poor state whilst Bramall Lane is in good shape. Also Bramall Lane has development plans for the future whilst as far as I know there aren't any plans regarding a new stadium or expansion plans for Elland Road so for the moment Bramall Lane is a more attractive proposition than Elland Road. But I reckon there would be good reason for a 50k stadium for Leeds if they get back in the Premiership and are clearly back on their feet financially but until that happens and they get this stadium Sheffield would be a more appropriate host.
berkshire royal no está en línea  
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #150
HOI
Eh?

Likes (Received): 8

Theres actually quite alot of plans for Elland Road and it's surroundings. Also talk of rebuilding the West stand soon if I remember correctly. Elland Road isn't even in that bad of a state anyway, the north stand isn't too bad. The west stand really does need a make over though, or rebuilt altogether. The south stand also is pretty crap aswell but not much can be done to it as in expanding it as it backs onto a main road, but atleast it got abit of renovation the other season to make it look ok'ish from the outside.

But I think making Bramall Lane a 50000 seater stadium would be a waste of money in the long run, apart from maybe the Sheffield Derby I don't see Sheffield United ever filling that stadium.

After all the crap what's been mentioned for Elland Road I think Ken is expecting Elland Road to be used if the World Cup bid is given to England.

But seriously Elland Road is no way as bad as people make it out to be, abit of a renovation work and all is good, as the facilities aren't too bad, the turnstile system is good, just stick the ticket in the machine and you're through.
HOI no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #151
Iain1974

Shared Sheffield Stadium?

I'm surprised no-one's brought it up before. Surely if United and Wednesday could be pragmatic, a new 50 or 60,000 seater would guarantee group games and a second round match. Probably even a QF.

Given a decent team I know the supporters would turn out enough to fill it at last to 40,000 regularly and probably more like 50,000. Lots of supporters in Sheffield just desperate for a great team again.
Iain1974 no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #152
Big Texan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

so besides Wembley and Emirates Stadium, can we get some pics of the other venues that might host the games?
Big Texan no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:11 AM   #153
Iain1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texan View Post
so besides Wembley and Emirates Stadium, can we get some pics of the other venues that might host the games?
St James Park - 52,000 (60,000 planned at an outrageous $600M)

Expansion of the Gallowgate End is planned to get to 60,000. The buildings behind the small side are grade II listed and as such will not be demolished or built over. 60,000 is the absolute limit of what Newcastle can achieve.
Old June 27th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #154
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

Portsmouths new stadium is being planned to be a host venue, it will have a capacity of 36,000 at first but could be expanded to 45,000 if needed.

Here is a link on the stadium: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...th/7460940.stm
Kobo no está en línea  
Old June 27th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #155
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

They keep talking about Pompey being used as a World Cup venue, yet despite the minimum 40k capacity requirement, the club has now announced two different plans for 36k capacity stadiums... Surely not trying to get government/FA funding for the additional seating are they?

Quote:
Sunderland Stadium of Light - probably won't be used...

Current capacity 48200, two 'smaller' sides can both be expanded at relatively low cost as foundations are already in place, and planning permission is already in place (that said, club rarely fills 48200, so extra space would be wasted unless they progress on the field).
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #156
berkshire royal

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Here goes this is my list of stadiums that I believe should be strong candidates. Please note I am only taking into account stadiums that are already built or are planned to be built and is going to be built at the necessary capacity. I’m going to start with stadiums that I believe will be host stadiums.

Villa Park
Aston Villa, Birmingham
Current capacity: 42,640
Potential Expansion: 51,000

Only picture I could find of possible expansion

Old Trafford
Manchester United, Manchester
Current Capacity: 76,212
Potential Expansion: 96,000 (no plans and in all honest unlikely to happen)

New Anfield
Liverpool
Proposed capacity: 61-73,000

Wembley
London
Capacity: 90,000

Emirates Stadium
Arsenal, London
Capacity: 60,355

St James' Park
Newcastle United, Newcastle, North East
Capacity: 52,387
Potential Expansion: 60,000

Candidates

Bramall Lane
Sheffield United, Sheffield, Yorkshire
Capacity: 32,609
Potential Expansion: 40,000

Expansion:

Elland Road
Leeds United, Leeds, Yorkshire
Capacity: 40,242
Potential expansion: 50,000 (no definite plans) major refurbishment required

St Mary's Stadium
Southampton, South Coast
Capacity: 32,689
Potential capacity: 50,000 (no definite plans)

Pride Park Stadium
Derby County, Derby, East Midlands
Capacity: 33,597
Potential capacity: 44,000 (provisional plans announced last summer)

Molineux
Wolverhampton Wanderers, Midlands
Capacity: 28,525
Potential capacity: 45,000 (provisional plans announced)

City Ground/New Stadium
Nottingham Forest, Nottingham, East Midlands
Capacity: 30,602/50,000 (provisional plans announced)
Potential capacity: 46,000

Carrow Road
Norwich City, Norfolk, Eastern Coast
Capacity: 26,034
Potential Capacity: 35,000

Stadium Of Light
Sunderland, North East
Capacity: 49,000
Potential Capacity: 64,000 (unlikely to happen)

City Of Manchester Stadium
Manchester City
Capacity: 47,726

Kirby Stadium
Everton, Liverpool ?
Capacity: 50,401

New Pompey Stadium
Portsmouth, South Coast
Capacity:36-45,000

cant think of any more candidates
berkshire royal no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #157
Big Texan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Wembley would be the finals for sure right?
Big Texan no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #158
Iain1974

Yeah, Wembley would be definite for the opening game, one semi and the final. There's likely be a group based in London using Wembley/Emerites so one 2nd round and qtr final in addition. I'd guess Old Trafford for the other semi.
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #159
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

I doubt Wembley would be used for both the opening match and the Final. Old Trafford would be the most likely venue for the opening game.

On a seperate note lets not forget if Capacity is what matters we could always use the 82,000 seater Twickenham Stadium in London
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #160
Iain1974

Twickenham is out of the question. The RFU own it.

The FA will try to maximise Wembley as they own it.

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018