daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: -
- 0 0%
- 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 27th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #1581
Trelawny
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecological View Post
On the atmosphere thingy. Can anyone name the only nation which actually managed to drown out those bloody Vuvuzela's at the last world cup?

Ummm ... England.
The same could be said anywhere!! Every EPL game is the same boring song anyway. "Oh when the saints". Channel change needed.
Trelawny no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #1582
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9956

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
....not to the same extent as Roland Garros, the Grand Slam with by far the worst reputation in that regard. I've never seen a nasty crowd at Wimbledon but they can get quite partisan and nasty in the French Open. There is a definite culture of booing and heckling among a number of French tennis fans which you just don't get at any of the other Slams.
Latin culture (hot-tempered people) !
Remember that Roland Garros is the only non-Ango-Saxon slam.

Quote:
Nadal was booed at the French last time he played there. Sharapova, the Williams sisters and Hingis have experienced the same.
Because they deserved it ! Especially that crybaby girl named Hingis !!!

Ho, and BTW, most of players love the atmosphere at Roland Garros, precisely because of the French fans !
parcdesprinces no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #1583
RobH

Likes (Received): 10574

Yeah exactly, on the flipside the atmosphere is often great at RG; much better than Wimbledon often creates. I was just countering Axel's claim that Wimbledon somehow has a bad reputation for being partisan. It really doesn't, especially compared with the French Open.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #1584
Rev Stickleback

Likes (Received): 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
The same could be said anywhere!! Every EPL game is the same boring song anyway. "Oh when the saints". Channel change needed.
Maybe if the channels where you live could afford to show something other than "Season Review 1983" it'd be different.

That Steve Moran though...could turn out to be some player, huh?
Rev Stickleback no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #1585
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2246

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
The same at Wimbledon? Booing of other players?

Stop making shit up, you silly sausage!

Yes, of course Wimbledon crowds get massively behind Andy Murray. They don't cheer because the other player has made a mistake. They cheer because Murray has won a point. Pretty obvious, I would have thought. Duh!

I guarantee you that you get the exact same reaction from fans in Paris when a French player is playing; or New York when an American is playing; or Melbourne when an Aussie is playing.

As to football fans booing opposition national anthems, that no longer happens in England. It went out with hooliganism.
a few years ago i notice they were applausing the faults of the player opposed to a british ,i don't remember his name (2005),

i was shocked because it was unusual at wimbledon (i was a fan of tennis and it is for me my prefered tournament ) it was the younger (22-25 people especially those bi**** of girls who eructed like orgasm their stupidity )

And the booing habit still to exist as goes the importance of a game (world cup or euro for example)

Please stop to defend systematically your fans when they are wrong! The video with the boxe match is just a shame
Old November 28th, 2010, 04:02 AM   #1586
JimB

Likes (Received): 4862

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
a few years ago i notice they were applausing the faults of the player opposed to a british ,i don't remember his name (2005),

i was shocked because it was unusual at wimbledon (i was a fan of tennis and it is for me my prefered tournament ) it was the younger (22-25 people especially those bi**** of girls who eructed like orgasm their stupidity )

And the booing habit still to exist as goes the importance of a game (world cup or euro for example)

Please stop to defend systematically your fans when they are wrong! The video with the boxe match is just a shame
1. Again......why is it so hard for you to understand that when British players like Andy Murray or Tim Henman play at Wimbledon, the crowd cheer every point they win - regardless of whether those points were won as a result of their excellence or as a result of their opponents' mistakes? There's nothing wrong or unusual in that at all. It happens all over the world. Stop trying to imply that only the English do it. It's utter bollocks.

2. And the booing of opposition national anthems at England football matches is now very rare. And when it does occur, it has nothing to do with the importance of the occasion. It only ever happens if the opposition fans have already disrespected England's national anthem.

3. I didn't try to defend the boxing crowd. So why throw it back at me?
JimB no está en línea  
Old November 28th, 2010, 04:40 AM   #1587
AdidasGazelle

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelawny View Post
Even I have to disagree with you here. Well sort of. There is one version of 'Oh when the saints" that is one of the best football songs/chants around. The way the spurs fans sing it very slow is superb.

Most other sets of fans 'happy clap' their way through that particular song/chant. Any match-going lad will know what I mean.
AdidasGazelle no está en línea  
Old November 28th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #1588
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2246

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
2. And the booing of opposition national anthems at England football matches is now very rare. And when it does occur, it has nothing to do with the importance of the occasion. It only ever happens if the opposition fans have already disrespected England's national anthem.

?
people don't disrespect england anthem don't invent this!
Old November 28th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #1589
JimB

Likes (Received): 4862

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
people don't disrespect england anthem don't invent this!
Err.........yes, they do, on rare occasions.
JimB no está en línea  
Old November 28th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #1590
RobH

RobH no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #1591
MysteryMike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

image hosted on flickr
MysteryMike no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #1592
MysteryMike
BANNED

Old November 29th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #1593
MysteryMike
BANNED

2018 World Cup: England is best placed to spread the gospel of football

England has a fantastic case and this week I will be going to Zurich with the rest of the 2018 team to argue – humbly but passionately – that we deserve to be given a chance. It is vital not to sound boastful about our role in the history of the game (and frankly we don’t have that much to boast about lately on the pitch); and the England bid is not so much that we are a nation of football fans with all the facilities already in place – though both points are strong. Our case is that an England World Cup in 2018 would be the best way of spreading the benefits of football training around the world.

This summer I found myself stuck in a vast traffic jam in Dar es Salaam, and as I listened to the Swahili football commentary on the radio I realised that it was live coverage of the Fulham-Man U game. Then I looked around me in the traffic, and was amazed to see how many dalla-dalla minibuses were decked in the livery of Chelsea or Manchester United, and it hit me that there were almost certainly more Chelsea fans in Dar es Salaam than in Chelsea itself.

These brands – English premiership clubs – are simply colossal in the imaginations of young people around the world. London clubs are already engaged in outreach programmes in some of the poorest communities on earth, helping to bring football training, for instance, to townships in South Africa. The key proposition of England 2018 is that we will create a festival of football that would raise the revenues to multiply that effect around the world.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/c...-football.html
Old November 29th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #1594
MysteryMike
BANNED

Old November 29th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #1595
RobH

Arrests of English and Welsh soccer fans for disorderly conduct at matches in the 2009-2010 season fell by 10 percent from the previous campaign, according to the U.K. Home Office.

There were 3,391 arrests in the season, a decline of 395, according to a statement e-mailed today. The figures include the World Cup in South Africa, where no English or Welsh fans were arrested, the Home Office said.

The U.K. has used banning orders for the last decade to prevent supporters with criminal histories from attending matches. Those bans increased to 3,248 in November from 3,180 12 months earlier. Ministers and police said the situation has improved since 2000, when 950 British hooligans were expelled from Belgium in one night during the European championships.

“There are many factors behind this and the greatest credit must go to the fans,” Crime Prevention Minister James Brokenshire said in the statement. “But I want to see them continue to build on that good behaviour. We must also applaud the work of police in making football a safer environment for all.”

England is bidding to host the 2018 World Cup, and a committee at FIFA, the sport’s governing body, will vote Dec. 2 on where the event will be held.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-1...ed-by-10-.html
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #1596
MysteryMike
BANNED

Islanderís work is a boost for Englandís World Cup bid

ONE Islanderís efforts could prove decisive in helping England to win their bid to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

St Brelade resident Sir Bob Murray, the former chairman of Sunderland Football Club, has played a major role in convincing the Football Association to give the green light to a state-of-the-art National Football Centre.

He believes that the go-ahead for the new centre in Burton-upon-Trent could not have come at a better time, as it could prove vital in Englandís bid to host the 2018 World Cup, which will be decided this week.
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #1597
ArchieTheGreat

I think we can safely say the England bid came to an end tonight at 21:00 GMT. Thanks BBC and the so called 'public interest'. FIFA will no longer vote for us after that rehash of old allegations. Why did they have to broadcast this three days before the decision?
ArchieTheGreat no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #1598
RobH

I don't agree that it should have been moved and mucho respect for the BBC for doing this. And actually, having seen it, I don't think it's killed our bid either...

The allegations against Warner were certainly new (having not been sacked from FIFA for selling tickets to touts during the 2006 world cup, he tried to sell 10s of thousands of pounds worth of tickets on the black market during South Africa 2010).

The naming of the members on the ISL list was new, though the list itself was known about for some time.

And, thanks to the Dutch, who decided to publish FIFA's list of "confidential" demands on a host nation, we now also know that FIFA expects their organisation to be granted TOTAL tax exemption for the entire duration of the world cup, and tax breaks for its ExCo members and senior staff. England, the USA, Spain; whoever hosts the world cup in 2018/22 will become an offshore tax haven for FIFA for a fortnight.

And, scarily, I agree 100% with David Mellor.

So, nothing explosive, but a few new revelations from Panorama tonight.

I'm not sure there's enough there to really scare off FIFA from England to be honest...most people will forget about all this by next week, because telling them FIFA is corrupt is a bit like saying the Antarctic's a bit nippy.
RobH no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #1599
ArchieTheGreat

Quote:
I don't agree that it should have been moved and mucho respect for the BBC for doing this. And actually, having seen it, I don't think it's killed our bid either...

The allegations against Warner were certainly new (having not been sacked from FIFA for selling tickets to touts during the 2006 world cup, he tried to sell 10s of thousands of pounds worth of tickets on the black market during South Africa 2010).

The naming of the members on the ISL list was new, though the list itself was known about for some time.

And, thanks to the Dutch, who decided to publish FIFA's list of "confidential" demands on a host nation, we now also know that FIFA expects their organisation to be granted TOTAL tax exemption for the entire duration of the world cup, and tax breaks for its ExCo members and senior staff. England, the USA, Spain; whoever hosts the world cup in 2018/22 will become an offshore tax haven for FIFA for a fortnight.

And, scarily, I agree 100% with David Mellor.

So, nothing explosive, but a few new revelations from Panorama tonight.

I'm not sure there's enough there to really scare off FIFA from England to be honest...most people will forget about all this by next week, because telling them FIFA is corrupt is a bit like saying the Antarctic's a bit nippy.
But its not next week its Thursday. Plus its going to antagonise the people making the decision.
ArchieTheGreat no está en línea  
Old November 30th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #1600
RobH

Well they shouldn't have tried to sell black market tickets then should they? Or accepted kickbacks? For feck's sake, if allegations against some MPs came out and were aired the night before a vote in Parliament we wouldn't be hounding the BBC. Why should this unelected clique, many of whom are criminals, expect special treatment from our media?

This really angers me. So the BBC are going to take the blame if England lose and FIFA will carry on doing "business" as normal, is that it? Because of FIFA's untouchability and total unaccountability we end up with a perverse situation where an organisation proved to be as corrupt as the night is long gets off scot free, whilst the BBC, for exposing them, is hounded. Is that how things are supposed to work?

Well, count me out Archie. I'm not sure I want a world cup in this country if it means getting into bed with FIFA and changing the way our media works to accommodate their criminality. It's not as though we need a world cup to continue being one of the biggest footballing nations on earth. FIFA needs us on their side far more than we need them. It's about time we showed them that, and tonight's documentary was as good a start as any.
RobH no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
world cup 2018