daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 17th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #1981
jandeczentar

Likes (Received): 1

For what it's worth, if I was the US bid team this is what I'd do. Position the host cities so that they line up with existing MLS teams. So the venues would be:

Meadowlands, New York, 82,000
Soldier Field, Chicago, 61,000
Gillette Stadium, Foxboro, 68,000
Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia, 68,000
FedEx Field, Washington, 91,000
New Los Angeles Stadium (if built), 75,000
Reliant Stadium, Houston, 67,000
Invesco Field, Denver, 76,000
Qwest Field, Seattle, 67,000
Dallas Cowboys Stadium, 80,000

...or something similar. People go to the games, many of whom have never seen a professional soccer game before but are attracted by the fanfare and media attention that surrounds the World Cup. They like what they see and realise that a professional team already exists in their city and they go and watch them. The MLS is thus given an attendance boost. If that boost holds, MLS will be in a far stronger financial position and be able to mount forays into new cities, expanding the reach of the game in the US. Thus the World Cup creates a useful legacy that builds on the creation of MLS for the 1994 World Cup.
jandeczentar no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #1982
metros11

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish.01 View Post
Good to read all the passionate posts from US football supporters....you'll all be welcome to come to Australia for the 2022 World Cup.

Watch in full screen: http://www.youtube.com/AusComePlay

You know it will be awesome....come play!!!
I'd have no problems with this. I'd love to visit Australia.
metros11 no está en línea  
Old May 19th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #1983
Luke80

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandeczentar View Post
Dallas Cowboys Stadium, 80,000
But the oracle that was Ganis insisted the capacity was over 110,000!

(Sorry I'll stop trolling this thread now).

That list looks okay but I'd like to see Kansas in there ahead of maybe Philly or San Diego - they're too close to other host cities.

But as has been said before, where is the footballing legacy (I'm not fully behind the argument but I don't decide what FIFA wants). All of those grounds are already built, yet the WC might not be for another 12 years - how many of those grounds could even accomodate an expansion/full refurbishment?

Perhaps you should look at possible future MLS markets (and by then I'd hope there'll be 2 or 3 more anyway!)
Luke80 no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:48 AM   #1984
sloppyjoetuesday

Likes (Received): 0

i think we should use alot of the college football stadiums because they are super huge.they're not the prettiest but they'll seat the most
sloppyjoetuesday no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #1985
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

First render of San Dieg's proposed new Chargers stadium/possible WC venue.

hngcm no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:07 AM   #1986
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
Where did you find that at, I've never seen that before?

EDIT, this is probably really old news. But the United States Soccer Federation (our F.A.) has a WC petition: sign here, and the official USA World Cup bid site is here.

Last edited by brewerfan386; May 20th, 2010 at 06:53 AM.
brewerfan386 no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #1987
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post

That stadium looks like it was from the 1970's, with a standard design you see throughout the US for some reason. Really is not that amazing and would be a pity if the WC used such venues.

Is there a reason that stadiums in US commonly use this same design structure? Same architects using the same designs over the years?
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:28 AM   #1988
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Found it here: http://www.10news.com/news/23608654/detail.html

And this is far from the final design. It's more about seeing what you can do on such a small site, the design will obviously improve over time.

Still it's better than an oval!
hngcm no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #1989
jandeczentar

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke80 View Post

That list looks okay but I'd like to see Kansas in there ahead of maybe Philly or San Diego - they're too close to other host cities.

But as has been said before, where is the footballing legacy (I'm not fully behind the argument but I don't decide what FIFA wants). All of those grounds are already built, yet the WC might not be for another 12 years - how many of those grounds could even accomodate an expansion/full refurbishment?

Perhaps you should look at possible future MLS markets (and by then I'd hope there'll be 2 or 3 more anyway!)
It was not intended as a definitive list: more a guideline. I didn't originally include Kansas City because Arrowhead is so much older than the others (opened in 1972). However, it could make it, especially if the new LA stadium isn't built.

It is precisely because all the venues are built already that the USA has a shot at hosting, certainly in 2022. Unlike virtually every other bid they won't have to build a host of new stadiums from scratch and they will need only minor refurbishments come the tournament. Staging the World Cup becomes much cheaper and the profit margin increases as a result.

The 2 future cities listed on the MLS website are Portland and Vancouver. Portland will never have a stadium large enough to compete with the others and Vancouver is not in the USA.

As to the legacy, MLS teams will not be in a position to fill the World Cup venues for decades, if ever. The best that can be hoped for in the short/medium term is a World Cup induced boost to their attendances that expands their finances to the point where they can expand further.
jandeczentar no está en línea  
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #1990
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
That stadium looks like it was from the 1970's, with a standard design you see throughout the US for some reason. Really is not that amazing and would be a pity if the WC used such venues.
Stadiums from that era featured fewer tiers and a much more economical design, usually without such extensive exterior cladding. Veterans Stadium, Texas Stadium, Giants Stadium, Three Rivers, Foxboro, etc. This design is nothing like that. Though the concept may be crude at this point, they're in line with modern norms by concentrating seats along sidelines so as to maximize amenities and provide more of the preferred sightlines. The four tiers also reflects current ideas for higher end seating as opposed to the single band of suites between two conventional tiers.

It may not be exciting, but it's certainly not recalling the cost-efficient 70's.
Quote:
Is there a reason that stadiums in US commonly use this same design structure? Same architects using the same designs over the years?
Because it works?!? From a seating standpoint this is essentially what fans prefer: Unless you've the volume of fans to necessitate a larger venue, fans prefer premium sightlines and open air venues. As to the form and setting, I think this is a nice compromise between accommodating the ramps into a design form that compliments the site, rather than simply looks like a utilitarian spiral placed "wherever." You'll also notice it's a very lithe structure designed to minimize impacts on the overall viewsheds of that part of the city, hence the shallow end seating sections.

The devil's in the details, obviously, and this is but one distant image of an idea, but I think it's unique enough and, more importantly, suitable for San Diego.

One man's opine.
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #1991
ASupertall4SD

Likes (Received): 2

And the likelihood is that the san diego stadium will have a retractable roof to accommodate other functions like convention center space, basketball games, etc.

The point of the very crude rendering was to show what can be accomplished on such a small footprint. that a full sized stadium can indeed fit.

This is a very very very premature rendering. Not at all the final rendering.

I do agree that the stadium design should move away from the classic american look and go with a more modern style. I envision the NY JETS failed Manhattan proposal personally.
ASupertall4SD no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2010, 01:52 AM   #1992
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Kansas? Or Kansas City, Missouri?

Or just maybe...WC at the Speedway?
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:07 AM   #1993
carlspannoosh

Likes (Received): 745

Given that FIFA wants 10 to 12 stadia with 60 thousand + capacity and partying facilities for officials immediately next to each stadium the size of a national park FIFA only has one choice, USA. So thats who I would choose to host 2022.
carlspannoosh no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2010, 02:51 AM   #1994
crazyalex

Likes (Received): 19

Why USA want host world cup again.
I rather Austraila, Russia and Benelux host world cup
crazyalex no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:45 AM   #1995
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:

What same stadium design structure?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:04 AM   #1996
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:

Dolphin Stadium (Or whatever it's called nowadays)

Heinz Field

Qualcomm Stadium

WHere the Tennessee Titans play...can't remember the name.

Paul Brown Stadium

Soldier Field

Really helps to know what you are talking about.
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #1997
MattXG

You guys do know that the Dolphins stadium is being renovated when the Flordia Marlins move into their own baseball stadium.

USA is a FARRRRRRRRRRRR better place to have the World Cup than Australia is frankly.
MattXG no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #1998
MattXG

Quote:

Dallas Cowboys Stadium held 105,000 for the first Cowboys game of the season...so I'm not sure what that 80,000 is about...
MattXG no está en línea  
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #1999
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXG View Post
Dallas Cowboys Stadium held 105,000 for the first Cowboys game of the season...so I'm not sure what that 80,000 is about...
Cowboys Stadium has 80k seats, and then a huge "standing area" for the rest.
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #2000
MattXG

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1044 View Post
Cowboys Stadium has 80k seats, and then a huge "standing area" for the rest.
Must be a hell of a standing area because they had 108,000+ for the NBA All-Star game and the Cowboys were averaging 89,000+ for their home games this year....
MattXG no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup