daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 6th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #2081
stevensp

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
If you say so. Not even close? Really is just too negative to believe. Look at the facts, the national coverage of Football vs NRL, you will be very surprised just how off the mark you are. The gap is close now and a WC would very easily put the NRL in its wake.
I think he is right
I'm european but follow both competitions... and of what i read i think when there will be a WC, NRL wont be alone on the top there

+ more project updates will be posted soon!
stevensp no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #2082
MS20

Likes (Received): 2

Can't believing I'm defending the NRL, but if it must be done.

NRL: Attendance + ratings + TV contract (which is almost sure to rise by far more than the 500 odd million over 5 years it currently has) + media support, potential new markets > A-League. Everything you need to have a successful sport, the NRL is in a far better position than football. I'm not saying football won't continue to grow, but its got NRL to contend with in the norther states, and AFL to contend with in the southern states. National coverage of football vs NRL? Sorry, but the NRL wins that too. Its fine to get great coverage come the WC and when the Socceroos play, but what about the A-League? Yeah, thought so.

Hosting a WC isn't going to change anything. Personally I think that both the NRL and AFL will continue to consolidate their growth over the next decade - quite comfortably.
MS20 no está en línea  
Old June 6th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #2083
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 145

They realized how rugby league is a bad bastardization off of true rugby. I can't blame them if it's falling in popularity.
Archbishop no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2010, 05:46 AM   #2084
crazyalex

Likes (Received): 19

Brad Pitt joins US bid for 2018/2022 World Cup

http://www.google.co.nz/url?q=http:/...F4Ie3rhvVhcdwQ
crazyalex no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #2085
crazyalex

Austraila just sucks. Lets talk about the USA soccer world cup 2018/2022 candidate! And no more Austraila talk.
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #2086
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbishop View Post
They realized how rugby league is a bad bastardization off of true rugby. I can't blame them if it's falling in popularity.
kick-and-clap is for suckas
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #2087
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
kick-and-clap is for suckas
Agreed. The rich fatties can keep sticking their noses in the air as long as it's not in a thread about the US World Cup bid.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:25 AM   #2088
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post

In saying that the USA has the advantage over everyone in fact it is a market of 300 million, richest country in the world but to be honest, the stadium advantages people are sprooking really is overplayed. USA '94 looked bland and, although successful in crowd numbers, never really has achieved anywhere near the goal of making Football a serious player in the US. If they are playing the card again to try and give Football a lifeline in that market, it is a floored argument.

I still think US is favourite, but Qatar would definately be a mistake alone. Australia has just as good a chance of getting it though if all elements of the bid are seriously considered.
Well, considering that I didn't start seriously following the sport until after the 1990 World Cup, I do have some memories of the 1994 one. I didn't attend an actual match but did attend a couple of friendly matches leading up to it, including one involving Colombia and Bulgaria at the old Giants Stadium. My father took me and my brother in his car to the parking lot and I remember how odd it is that Giants Stadium, with its history of Am. Football and Bruce Springsteen concerts, now was hosting this soccer thing, as it would have been thought of at the time. Yes, the Cosmos played there at one time but they disappeared not long after. The stadium was definitely almost full but it felt that a lot of people not already inclined to support either team were there to partake in what they thought was a nice spectacle. There wasn't anything like the tifo activity found in Europe, for sure. Even then, there were still these wild fears about hooligans coming over to make trouble, knowing the bad reputation the sport had gotten by then.

You see, for many of us, the sport was brand new. A lot of education had to be imparted on the general public about what this sport is, why it matters to a lot of people elsewhere and why it was a big deal to have the World Cup here. A lot of you also do not appreciate how it came here in the first place. You see, FIFA was in an awkward position by around 1988. There were actual questions as to whether the World Cup was financially viable. The US did try to bid for the 1986 edition but it was a joke of a bid. That was around 1981 or thereabouts. By 1988 they made a more serious bid. Meanwhile, the competition included Brazil, which still wasn't nearly in conditions to become a serious country, and Morocco, which didn't know if they would be able to construct the stadia necessary. The US already had stadia. They were/are stadia built for that other football but they were available in case the association kind wanted to put on games there.

So it was more of a case that we were the best of a less-than-stellar lot of bidders rather than making an overwhelmingly whammo presentation. FIFA did not have much choice over who to award it to. And still, it was not a unanimous vote for the US bid. At least FIFA, or its chief executive, appreciates the fact that we are willing to host this if asked to.

While I can understand why you thought our edition was a bit bland at least a break in continuity for World Cups was avoided in the modern era.

Today, I don't think we're that needed for soccer to thrive and I'm OK with that. I'm happy that I had the nice experience of watching the best of the best of the time compete here.

On another note, I just read that MLS is in early talks with Comcast to put some games on Versus: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...arly_Talks.php

The rumor is that Fox Soccer Channel wants to end paying a rights fee to MLS for the Saturday matches after this year and that is prompting MLS to seek talks with Comcast. What do you think MLS on Versus would be like? Do you like the idea of soccer on Versus? Would this have any effect on the World Cups of 2018 and 2022? Would ESPN2 continue the relationship with MLS after 2014 or even after this year?

Last edited by The Game Is Up; June 8th, 2010 at 04:30 AM.
The Game Is Up no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #2089
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Is Up View Post
On another note, I just read that MLS is in early talks with Comcast to put some games on Versus: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...arly_Talks.php

The rumor is that Fox Soccer Channel wants to end paying a rights fee to MLS for the Saturday matches after this year and that is prompting MLS to seek talks with Comcast. What do you think MLS on Versus would be like? Do you like the idea of soccer on Versus? Would this have any effect on the World Cups of 2018 and 2022? Would ESPN2 continue the relationship with MLS after 2014 or even after this year?
Interesting. I hadn't heard.

Article suggests current contracts are < $10M per year, which seems awfully low. Thus my first reaction is that's rather bold and cocky of Fox, but I guess MLS still hasn't evolved as that strong a broadcast property. You'd think Fox Soccer Channel would need to have MLS games just to fill content and to cover your own domestic league, particularly when most European leagues are off for the summer. Hmmm.

The allusion to being associated with Versus and that networks "success" with their NHL telecasts is rather alarming, though, given that the NHL makes next to nothing in rights fees (comparably speaking) for a supposedly more appealing commodity. I was really hoping MLS could at least move up to $1M per member + $1M more for general league administration. Anything to help the product and the league prosper.
Old June 8th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #2090
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Is Up View Post
Well, considering that I didn't start seriously following the sport until after the 1990 World Cup, I do have some memories of the 1994 one. I didn't attend an actual match but did attend a couple of friendly matches leading up to it, including one involving Colombia and Bulgaria at the old Giants Stadium. My father took me and my brother in his car to the parking lot and I remember how odd it is that Giants Stadium, with its history of Am. Football and Bruce Springsteen concerts, now was hosting this soccer thing, as it would have been thought of at the time. Yes, the Cosmos played there at one time but they disappeared not long after. The stadium was definitely almost full but it felt that a lot of people not already inclined to support either team were there to partake in what they thought was a nice spectacle. There wasn't anything like the tifo activity found in Europe, for sure. Even then, there were still these wild fears about hooligans coming over to make trouble, knowing the bad reputation the sport had gotten by then.

You see, for many of us, the sport was brand new. A lot of education had to be imparted on the general public about what this sport is, why it matters to a lot of people elsewhere and why it was a big deal to have the World Cup here. A lot of you also do not appreciate how it came here in the first place. You see, FIFA was in an awkward position by around 1988. There were actual questions as to whether the World Cup was financially viable. The US did try to bid for the 1986 edition but it was a joke of a bid. That was around 1981 or thereabouts. By 1988 they made a more serious bid. Meanwhile, the competition included Brazil, which still wasn't nearly in conditions to become a serious country, and Morocco, which didn't know if they would be able to construct the stadia necessary. The US already had stadia. They were/are stadia built for that other football but they were available in case the association kind wanted to put on games there.

So it was more of a case that we were the best of a less-than-stellar lot of bidders rather than making an overwhelmingly whammo presentation. FIFA did not have much choice over who to award it to. And still, it was not a unanimous vote for the US bid. At least FIFA, or its chief executive, appreciates the fact that we are willing to host this if asked to.

While I can understand why you thought our edition was a bit bland at least a break in continuity for World Cups was avoided in the modern era.

Today, I don't think we're that needed for soccer to thrive and I'm OK with that. I'm happy that I had the nice experience of watching the best of the best of the time compete here.

My hope is that ESPN continues to show weekly matches of the English Premier League. I think it's great they show them. I also have noticed they show some La Liga matches as well, which is also great.

ESPN is not going to lose the World Cup coverage anytime soon. No other network, that has a very large viewership, is going to interrupt normal programming. So for example, you won't see NBC run the games and interrupt the talk shows, etc. ESPN is perfect for his thanks to ESPN, ESPN 2 and ABC for the weekend games.

I also don't think ESPN 2 will drop coverage of the MLS games.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old June 8th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #2091
ryebreadraz

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
My hope is that ESPN continues to show weekly matches of the English Premier League. I think it's great they show them. I also have noticed they show some La Liga matches as well, which is also great.

ESPN is not going to lose the World Cup coverage anytime soon. No other network, that has a very large viewership, is going to interrupt normal programming. So for example, you won't see NBC run the games and interrupt the talk shows, etc. ESPN is perfect for his thanks to ESPN, ESPN 2 and ABC for the weekend games.

I also don't think ESPN 2 will drop coverage of the MLS games.
ESPN is expanding their Premier League coverage next season. I believe it's two games weekly now with an added third when there's a Monday game.
ryebreadraz no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #2092
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

All the more reason for MLS to leave before they get boxed out.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #2093
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Interesting. I hadn't heard.

Article suggests current contracts are < $10M per year, which seems awfully low. Thus my first reaction is that's rather bold and cocky of Fox, but I guess MLS still hasn't evolved as that strong a broadcast property. You'd think Fox Soccer Channel would need to have MLS games just to fill content and to cover your own domestic league, particularly when most European leagues are off for the summer. Hmmm.

The allusion to being associated with Versus and that networks "success" with their NHL telecasts is rather alarming, though, given that the NHL makes next to nothing in rights fees (comparably speaking) for a supposedly more appealing commodity. I was really hoping MLS could at least move up to $1M per member + $1M more for general league administration. Anything to help the product and the league prosper.
Fox Soccer Channel has been bulking up on EPL, Serie A and recently added Champions League 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice matches. They recently took over the Setanta US broadcast properties except for Aussie Rules and cricket. Fox Soccer Plus started up operations in the last few months. Yet, it seems that the focus is really on foreign soccer leagues.

Also consider that after the deal with Direct TV, Versus is now in 76 million households, give or take. That's less than even ESPN2 but well ahead of FSC's 30-32 million households. Those numbers alone would encourage MLS to at least talk to Versus. Nothing is etched in stone, yet, but I think for the right deal MLS would be willing to swap FSC for Versus.

I could see the following scenario happen (if MLS does do a deal with Versus):

- ESPN/ESPN2/Deportes will continue airing World Cup matches through 2014 and may continue after that. They'll have locked up the US Men's National Team TV contract real tight by then. All those WC Qualifiers are a good business for them. One big question is how they would be able to show US-Mexico in Mexico the next time it happens.

- FSC/Fox Sports en Espanol/FSN/FS+ along with GolTV to concentrate on international club competitions and international friendlies or WCQ'ers. Will they be able to keep the Champions League and the Club World Cup or will these migrate to ESPN?

- Versus, with a possible team-up with mun2, gets MLS games from FSC. A combined Comcast/NBC would be in position to get major FIFA-sanctioned competitions like the Club World Cup and the World Youth Cup, if they desire to. It would be a natural progression from NBC airing Olympic soccer. One thing that they could that is big is if they can get the TV rights to US-Mexico in Mexico. Imagine the Azteca game at a channel in more homes than mun2 this time.

- I don't see Univision losing the Spanish-language telecast rights to MLS, although they're not exactly bringing in as big of an audience as with Mexican soccer. As long as FIFA requires anyone bidding for the World Cup video rights to "take in" the domestic competition as well, nothing much would change.
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #2094
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Game, I was aware of the evolutions going on with FSC+/Setanta, but your points are valid, particularly the notion of Versus being in more homes.

My concerns simply have to do with MLS needing to keep an association with the defacto brand for soccer on TV in the US. Without being able to muscle its way into greater coverage on the penultimate all-sports network, MLS would be wise to still be seen on FSC in some way. Soccer fans know of the network and flock to it for all the other leagues you're referencing, and often view Fox Soccer Report as their new SportsCenter (as I now do). Especially as MLS has tried to grow beyond suburban families as their niche market and is now focusing on true soccer die-hards, there's no better cross promotion in my mind then having your games (and ads for those games) right there in between games for the Premiership, Serie A () and the Champions League. The converse is also applicable - MLS has reason to regret having so many fans within the US turning away from their league and instead remaining focused on teams and games abroad.

Regardless, this is another reason why MLS has been so determined to improve stadium conditions and average crowds - That's become a much stronger, more reliable revenue source for teams that apparently don't have much leverage with media. Hopefully as those local scenes grow more appealing (sell outs are so much better for TV), then the media position will improve as well.

Last edited by GunnerJacket; June 9th, 2010 at 07:02 PM.
GunnerJacket no está en línea  
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #2095
massp88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryebreadraz View Post
ESPN is expanding their Premier League coverage next season. I believe it's two games weekly now with an added third when there's a Monday game.
That's great news. The Premier League is easily a top 4 league in the world.

I know that Chelsea-Man U had awesome ratings for them.

I would like to think ESPN will hold on to the World Cup contract after 2014. I read that FIFA sells contracts 2 cups at a time, so hopefully they will get it for 2018 and 2022.

FSC is a great channel and I like their coverage of the Champions League.

I also thought it was great that FOX showed the Champions League Final live here in America.

Last edited by massp88; June 9th, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #2096
crazyalex

Dude where is *beep* update??
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:00 AM   #2097
en1044
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyalex View Post
Dude where is *beep* update??
what?
Old June 10th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #2098
brightside.
Honorary Scouser

Likes (Received): 8132

Since when has ESPN started showing English Premier League games in the US? I lived in the States until 2008 and back then it only used to show Champions League games.
Old June 10th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #2099
massp88

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightside. View Post
Since when has ESPN started showing English Premier League games in the US? I lived in the States until 2008 and back then it only used to show Champions League games.
They started this past season, 2009-2010. They would show matches on Saturdays at 7 am and on some matches on Mondays at 2:30.
massp88 no está en línea  
Old June 11th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #2100
Luke80

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
That's great news. The Premier League is easily a top 4 league in the world.
Top 4?

The best... (alright La Liga is pretty good too!)
Luke80 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup