daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 11th, 2010, 03:56 AM   #2101
Solopop
Solopop

Likes (Received): 99

Guys 2018 is a pipe dream for you.

You're wasting money being the only non-euro country bidding...
Solopop no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:34 AM   #2102
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke80 View Post
Top 4?
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Old June 11th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #2103
Melb_aviator

Likes (Received): 432

I suspect that the USA will drop out of 2018, as Australia has done, as it is clear that FIFA only wants this to go to European bids. Australia were told to pull out and FIFA were very happy when they did. Trying to stand up and be rebelious will not get much support for a US bid from European delegates for 2022 if they stay in the running to host 2018.

FIFA politics works in mysterious ways, and grudges are held for a long time. Playing the game the FIFA way is important. The US likely have been told the same as Australia, and will likely see an exit from the race for '18 very soon. It is about damage limitation in many ways.
Melb_aviator no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #2104
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post
I suspect that the USA will drop out of 2018, as Australia has done, as it is clear that FIFA only wants this to go to European bids. Australia were told to pull out and FIFA were very happy when they did. Trying to stand up and be rebelious will not get much support for a US bid from European delegates for 2022 if they stay in the running to host 2018.

FIFA politics works in mysterious ways, and grudges are held for a long time. Playing the game the FIFA way is important. The US likely have been told the same as Australia, and will likely see an exit from the race for '18 very soon. It is about damage limitation in many ways.
Anyone have any doubt that England will host in 2018? I don't, it's a lock. FIFA could make it very easy during that 8 year span, England 2018, USA 2022. Both countries can host without building anything at all. No stress, no deadlines, just perfect stadiums.
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:12 AM   #2105
MicroX

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melb_aviator View Post

FIFA would be missing out on a huge economic opportunities if they start to bear grudges against the US.
MicroX no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #2106
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

These are aerial shots of the USA bids most likely stadiums (as of today) to be included in the final WC selection. Some cities will be building new stadiums, so this list could increase by 2 or 3 new stadia. Remember it's not until 2022, so even some of these somewhat newer stadiums below could still get replaced.

Order from top to bottom is: Gillette (Boston), Raymond James (Tampa), Invesco (Denver), LP (Nashville), M&T Bank (Baltimore), Qwest (Seattle), FedEx (Washington, DC), Arrowhead (Kansas City), Lincoln Financial (Philadelphia), Reliant (Houston), Sun Life (Miami), Univ. of Phoenix (Phoenix), Meadowlands (New York), Lucas Oil (Indianapolis), Cowboys (Dallas)

Last edited by slipperydog; June 12th, 2010 at 09:07 AM.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #2107
RaiderATO

Likes (Received): 13

That's a lot in the NE (Boston, DC, NY/NJ, Baltimore) and I think they'd find some way to get into southern California (which could come in San Diego, or LA with a new stadium).

In all reality, the USA has the OPPOSITE problem that many other nations have (not necessarily the ones bidding against the US). There are TOO many suitable stadiums to go around as almost every NFL stadium is able to do this.

I guess only the Metrodome, Soldier Field, Lambeau, Ralph Wilson, SF, Oakland, and Qualcomm don't have the population density, "newness", or capacity necessary (I don't know which can't have the correct dimensions). That leaves 24 stadiums to whittle down to about 10.
RaiderATO no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #2108
RobH

Likes (Received): 10327

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
Anyone have any doubt that England will host in 2018? I don't, it's a lock.
Huge doubts, I think Russia could very easily win 2018. They're throwing money at it, and I think FIFA will like that. Blatter is said to favour Russia and he has a fair amount of influence among non-European federations.

England or Russia for 2018 I think. Don't ask me which.

USA or Australia for 2022 I think. Again, don't ask me which.
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #2109
GideaParkHammer

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Huge doubts, I think Russia could very easily win 2018. They're throwing money at it, and I think FIFA will like that. Blatter is said to favour Russia and he has a fair amount of influence among non-European federations.

England or Russia for 2018 I think. Don't ask me which.

USA or Australia for 2022 I think. Again, don't ask me which.
I feel a little more confident after the opening 2010 game. I am sure there are many reasons for the large amount of empty seats, but if this is repeated then I think FIFA may prefer a "safe" bid for 2018. England can almost guarantee full stadiums for all games.
GideaParkHammer no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #2110
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderATO View Post
That's a lot in the NE (Boston, DC, NY/NJ, Baltimore) and I think they'd find some way to get into southern California (which could come in San Diego, or LA with a new stadium).

In all reality, the USA has the OPPOSITE problem that many other nations have (not necessarily the ones bidding against the US). There are TOO many suitable stadiums to go around as almost every NFL stadium is able to do this.

I guess only the Metrodome, Soldier Field, Lambeau, Ralph Wilson, SF, Oakland, and Qualcomm don't have the population density, "newness", or capacity necessary (I don't know which can't have the correct dimensions). That leaves 24 stadiums to whittle down to about 10.
Actually SD's Qualcomm Stadium is on the current list
hngcm no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #2111
Sportsfan

Likes (Received): 51

There best chance is to spread the venues out as widely as possible, but seriously there are going to be many major metro areas that will miss out - How on Earth do they narrow that list down to 10-12 venues?
Sportsfan no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #2112
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:

Only Green Bay and Buffalo lack population. It would be so awesome to have a world cup match in Buffalo, but it will never happen We just don't have the population or large amount of soccer fans. I guess you could count the entire golden horseshoe, then we definitely do have enough, but still. Never gonna happen.
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #2113
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
That's a lot in the NE (Boston, DC, NY/NJ, Baltimore)
only Boston is in New England
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #2114
RaiderATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
only Boston is in New England
"... in the NE." Northeast. Not "In the New England".

I doubt it really matters much to FIFA, or the USA bid, but I'd like to see them spread it out. I'm not really familiar with how it's going to be handled with the US bid. Looking at past finals you've had ones with 10 stadiums like this one, or ones with close to 20 stadiums used.

I'd like them to spread it out as much as possible. Its not like there is a shortage of cities that have the stadium, infrastructure, and population to host a game or two.

My $.02, which means absolutely nothing.
Old June 13th, 2010, 03:16 AM   #2115
Lord David

Likes (Received): 104

There's a decent spread of cities, expect the stadiums to be selected within such finalized cities. Should a city (like Los Angeles) build a new modern stadium, then that will be selected.
Lord David no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #2116
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Better to bid for a later World Cup. By 2022 at least, we'll be in a better position to build soccer-only stadiums instead of using existing football fields. And we should have stronger clubs and programs to fuel a big surge in ticket sales and public support.
desertpunk no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2010, 02:08 PM   #2117
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

I still can't believe that my farking city (Chicago) withdrew from the bid. Someone at city hall needs to pay for that decision.

Old June 13th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #2118
bd popeye

Likes (Received): 10445

Quote:
I guess only the Metrodome, Soldier Field, Lambeau, Ralph Wilson, SF, Oakland, and Qualcomm don't have the population density, "newness", or capacity necessary (I don't know which can't have the correct dimensions). That leaves 24 stadiums to whittle down to about 10
There are 3 million people in San Diego. Plus another 3.5 million in Orange county north of SD and 3 more million in Tijuana to the south..

Quote:
Actually SD's Qualcomm Stadium is on the current list
Correct and it may be replaced in the next few years.

Quote:
Better to bid for a later World Cup. By 2022 at least, we'll be in a better position to build soccer-only stadiums instead of using existing football fields. And we should have stronger clubs and programs to fuel a big surge in ticket sales and public support.
Several of the selected stadiums are well suited for "futbol" where as the field has the proper dimensions. Among them are Reliant, Lucas, Qualcomm, Miami and Qwest Field..
bd popeye no está en línea  
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #2119
RaiderATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I'd be surprised if we had more than two 50,000+ "soccer only" stadiums by then. The FB and Soccer seasons don't overlap much, so I can easily see the "in demand" MLS games moving to the local 70,000 seat FB stadium.

Even in '22 all FB stadiums will outpace any soccer stadium in quality, size, amenities, etc.

The US wouldn't have a lack of public support or ticket sales even if the event were to take place tomorrow. (and that's with the short notice too)
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #2120
RaiderATO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
There are 3 million people in San Diego. Plus another 3.5 million in Orange county north of SD and 3 more million in Tijuana to the south..
With Qualcomm, I wasn't talking about its size or population density, it was more about the stadium. A stadium which I know nothing about, but I keep reading about it being unacceptable for a Superbowl by the NFL. I just kinda assumed it wasn't up to snuff, compared to the others on the list.

I know SD is looking to have a new one built, which is why I put "Qualcomm" and not "San Diego" on there. And again, I know nothing about what FIFA, or the US bid committee is looking for. I think FIFA would be excited to be playing in our college stadiums, even. I'd put them on par with much of what they're going to get from any other bid.

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup