daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 18th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #2181
T74

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
But what is said is true, give me just an example in why the US should not get it, beside that the USA gosted the WC in 94..
I wouldn't look at it like that

Your bid is strong enough that if you lose, it will not be because of why you should not get it, but the superior reason as to why the other bid should
T74 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #2182
nyrmetros

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Doesn't seem like many people in the states know about/use Amtrak, but I have a feeling that if we get the World Cup, it will be a terrific option for getting from city to city without flying, and possibly less costly especially if the host cities are split into regional pods. Not really conducive to most Americans' travel needs (usually we only have one destination, so we fly), but for those who are just going to be city-hopping and either are used to traveling by train or just don't like the hassle of flying, Amtrak is perfect. And we have actually have a pretty extensive network if you've ever tried it.

But honestly, renting a car in this country is so easy and inexpensive, it's a really good option that offers more flexibility.

Big beleiver in Amtrak, however the booking rates here in the northeast corridor are pretty expensive. It's amazing that the SuperPwer USA has no REAL high speed inter-city rail system...... Acella is nothing more than a business class flight on rails....
nyrmetros no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #2183
nyrmetros

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
That's an pretty arrogant and US-centric point of view to be honest.

The US obviously has the technical capability to host a bigger tournament than most. That doesn't mean they should be automatic favourites every time they decide they fancy the tournament, especially if there are other very good bids competing against them.

There are plenty of other explanations other than "politics" as to why FIFA might choose a bid other than the United States'.
Physically he's right. The USA could host any of these events at the same time and not blink an eye in terms of infrastructure..... That's not being US-centric...... it's just fact. Now that's not to say the US deserves to hold every event....... but physically it can......
nyrmetros no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #2184
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
That's an pretty arrogant and US-centric point of view to be honest.

The US obviously has the technical capability to host a bigger tournament than most. That doesn't mean they should be automatic favourites every time they decide they fancy the tournament, especially if there are other very good bids competing against them.

There are plenty of other explanations other than "politics" as to why FIFA might choose a bid other than the United States'.
I'm not suggesting that the US should automatically get anything. All I'm saying is that logistically, we are capable of hosting EVERY major event simultaneously. There is no technical basis for denying the US a major sports event but there are political reasons why that has happened. So what are the "explanations other than politics" as to why FIFA would deny a US bid?
desertpunk no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #2185
RobH

Likes (Received): 10341

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
But what is said is true, give me just an example in why the US should not get it, beside that the USA gosted the WC in 94..
FIFA might prefer Australia. You're looking at it the wrong way around. By picking Australia, for example, FIFA aren't "denying" the US; they're choosing a host.
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #2186
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
So what are the "explanations other than politics" as to why FIFA would deny a US bid?
Aussie girls are hotter

And don't deny that is a factor for FIFA, who hasn't received the mandatory "girls of the World Cup" powerpoint yet
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #2187
KingmanIII

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
Aussie girls are hotter
Per capita, perhaps.

But we got the quantity to make up for it!
KingmanIII no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #2188
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingmanIII View Post
Per capita, perhaps.

But we got the quantity to make up for it!
And by that we mean Q-U-A-N-T-I-T-Y.
desertpunk no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #2189
El Cholo

Likes (Received): 144

FIFA owes us now!!!
El Cholo no está en línea  
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #2190
RobH

Likes (Received): 10341

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cholo View Post
FIFA owes us now!!!
Haha, I reckon Ozzies could say the same, given how harshly their best player was sent off in their first game against Germany. Has Qatar been slighted at all in this world cup.....oh wait....
RobH no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #2191
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
There is no technical basis for denying the US a major sports event but there are political reasons why that has happened. So what are the "explanations other than politics" as to why FIFA would deny a US bid?
There is and there will be no football ground in the USA with more than 30'000 seats. All you have are gridiron arenas of which only you think they were suitable. No proper football pitch fits in there without restricted views from the stand. Stand which aren't covered and look atrocious by the way.

Venues are too far apart. The USA spreads over unfavourable time zones which would lead to kick-offs at noon in June. Not the right time to play football. And there is only one mode of transport to chose from. Not to mention the lack of passion for the game.

Hosting the World Cup in the USA any time soon just doesn't feels right.
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #2192
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
And there is only one mode of transport to chose from. .
Really? Seriously? Because every city has an airport, every city has a bus network, every city has taxi's, and every city has cars to rent, nearly every city has an amtrack station, and some cities have either a subway or light rail network.
weava está en línea ahora  
Old June 19th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #2193
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
There is and there will be no football ground in the USA with more than 30'000 seats. All you have are gridiron arenas of which only you think they were suitable. No proper football pitch fits in there without restricted views from the stand. Stand which aren't covered and look atrocious by the way.

Venues are too far apart. The USA spreads over unfavourable time zones which would lead to kick-offs at noon in June. Not the right time to play football. And there is only one mode of transport to chose from. Not to mention the lack of passion for the game.

Hosting the World Cup in the USA any time soon just doesn't feels right.
Damn, its the whining about no roofs on the stands again. FYI modern stadiums in the US are built to FIFA specifications with hosting FIFA events in mind, even if they are for the "gridiron." Lack of passion is out, 1994 World Cup has the record for highest attendance (it was in the US in case you didn't know, in rather sub par stadiums by today's standards at that). I'll give you the time zone issue, but to somewhere in the world, anywhere can have unfavorable time zones.
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #2194
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
Damn, its the whining about no roofs on the stands again. FYI modern stadiums in the US are built to FIFA specifications with hosting FIFA events in mind, even if they are for the "gridiron."
I have yet to see a pitch in standard width of 68 m in one of those stadia . Let alone FIFA's requirement of 'auxiliary room'. Neither do NFL stadia have central player tunnels as the FIFA demands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
Lack of passion is out, 1994 World Cup has the record for highest attendance (it was in the US in case you didn't know, in rather sub par stadiums by today's standards at that). I'll give you the time zone issue, but to somewhere in the world, anywhere can have unfavorable time zones.
Just 13m Americans could be arsed to watch their team playing in South Africa. Hardly a figure that indicates a nationwide passion for the game.
Old June 19th, 2010, 03:02 AM   #2195
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

"Just" 13 million.

Which is more that the entire populations of many nations participating.

And you wonder why FIFA would love to grow the sport in the US
hngcm no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 03:44 AM   #2196
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
I have yet to see a pitch in standard width of 68 m in one of those stadia . Let alone FIFA's requirement of 'auxiliary room'. Neither do NFL stadia have central player tunnels as the FIFA demands.
That's why stadiums are made with movable stands. Like Lucas Oil Stadium.

[IMG]http://i50.************/35k9003.jpg[/IMG]

And about every other stadium that's bidding either has that or they will just take out a few rows on the sides. It's not a problem at all.
Archbishop no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:10 AM   #2197
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2401

Quote:
Neither do NFL stadia have central player tunnels as the FIFA demands.
Where are you getting this 'demand'? I don't see why it matters where they walk out from.

Also, time zones would be an issue in Australia as well. But this is moot point, because time zones have never been an issue, and haven't stopped Russia from being a front runner.

Fact is, USA are favorites whether you like it or not.

Last edited by slipperydog; June 19th, 2010 at 04:16 AM.
slipperydog no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:13 AM   #2198
T74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
"Just" 13 million.

Which is more that the entire populations of many nations participating.

And you wonder why FIFA would love to grow the sport in the US
I think he's referring to it as a proportion of population

13 million gives you around a 4% viewing audience, which I actually think is not too bad when you consider these figures don't include public audiences (i.e. pubs, bars, FIFA Fanzones, etc)

we had 1.1m, which is around 5% (but we were viewing at 4:30am)
T74 no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:14 AM   #2199
RaiderATO

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
It's just a hunch of mine, but I'd think that if we've made it this far in the process FIFA must not have any issues with our facilities.
RaiderATO no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:29 AM   #2200
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by T74 View Post
I think he's referring to it as a proportion of population

13 million gives you around a 4% viewing audience, which I actually think is not too bad when you consider these figures don't include public audiences (i.e. pubs, bars, FIFA Fanzones, etc)

we had 1.1m, which is around 5% (but we were viewing at 4:30am)
I'm aware of that.

If I'm FIFA I look at that huge opportunity to grow the game here.

A change of just 2% is an increase of 6 million people! That's a lot of money!
hngcm no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup