daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old June 19th, 2010, 04:34 AM   #2201
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
I have yet to see a pitch in standard width of 68 m in one of those stadia . Let alone FIFA's requirement of 'auxiliary room'. Neither do NFL stadia have central player tunnels as the FIFA demands.

Just 13m Americans could be arsed to watch their team playing in South Africa. Hardly a figure that indicates a nationwide passion for the game.
BTW that was 13 million JUST ON ESPN not including on ABC, Univision or univision.com.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:47 AM   #2202
Archbishop

Likes (Received): 145

Also 13 million viewers counts per household while almost everyone (including me) watched at a bar or viewing party. I would be it was closer to 35 million than 15 million.
Archbishop no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:50 AM   #2203
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

I just read an article that it is expected that about 70 million will watch the WC on Univision.. I couldnt find an article in English, but in 2006 more than 50 million watched the WC just on Univision.. And that's a big difference vs ESPN. So if we count those viewers from ABC and ESPN, probably that number is over 100 million this year..

http://www.elnuevoherald.com/2010/06...u-maraton.html

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:53 AM   #2204
Archbishop

No matter how popular our national team is, a 2022 US World Cup would shatter the attendance records. That's what FIFA cares about.

No Mali refs in it though.
Old June 19th, 2010, 09:17 AM   #2205
marionthebarberian

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
. No proper football pitch fits in there without restricted views from the stand. Stand which aren't covered and look atrocious by the way.
lol

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by marionthebarberian; June 19th, 2010 at 09:48 AM.
marionthebarberian no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #2206
Walbanger

Likes (Received): 1107

I love those stadiums. Am I the only one who likes the snug fit Soccer pitches have in American Football stadiums, it looks as if the fans are about to spill out of the stands.
You Yanks are going to be hard to beat.

Oh, lat nights usa vs slovenia ref seriously had a vendetta against you guys, a load of crap. Hopefully the right thing happens and you move to the group of 16.
Walbanger no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #2207
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
There is and there will be no football ground in the USA with more than 30'000 seats. All you have are gridiron arenas of which only you think they were suitable. No proper football pitch fits in there without restricted views from the stand. Stand which aren't covered and look atrocious by the way.

Venues are too far apart. The USA spreads over unfavourable time zones which would lead to kick-offs at noon in June. Not the right time to play football. And there is only one mode of transport to chose from. Not to mention the lack of passion for the game.

Hosting the World Cup in the USA any time soon just doesn't feels right.
We have over 100 stadiums that seat over 50,000 and the vast majority of them could easily be retrofitted to FIFA specs. So what if they don't look like "Old Trafford"? Is that even a prerequisite for holding the WC in Europe? You're a jealous fool.
desertpunk no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #2208
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by marionthebarberian View Post

That's exactly what I mean. The pitch might still be missing 1 or 2 metres in width but you already can't see the corner flag. It simply not design to watch football in there.

Last edited by flierfy; June 19th, 2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: ewfrf
flierfy no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #2209
RobH

Likes (Received): 10327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger View Post
I love those stadiums. Am I the only one who likes the snug fit Soccer pitches have in American Football stadiums, it looks as if the fans are about to spill out of the stands.
Yes, they do look great, I agree.

Some of the stadiums used in '94 were too snug, however. I remember seeing corner takers right up against the advertising hoardings. That is ridiculous! The 'fashion' in the US at the moment seems to be building new stadiums which can comfortably host both football and...er...football, so this shouldn't be a problem in 2022...it's not the issue it once was.

Roofs don't matter either. As long as the press and media are covered FIFA are happy and the press boxes seem more than good enough for this.

Technically the US bid has little wrong with it. Distances might be a bit of an issue, though that hasn't changed since 1994 and the US' main rival has the same issue. If the US were competing against compact European bids it may be a negative but it's not. And the timezone isn't that friendly for Europe, the Game's powerbase. But these are both much, much smaller "problems" than the US' rivals Australia and Qatar face.

I agree with flierfy about the game's popularity in the US though. Whilst I'd have no problem if the US won, I would rather see another country which either hasn't hosted before, or has a much greater love for the sport host again before the US gets another tournament. That's just personal preference though, and I wouldn't blame FIFA if the security a US bid gives them means the US is victorious in 2022.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #2210
flierfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
We have over 100 stadiums that seat over 50,000 and the vast majority of them could easily be retrofitted to FIFA specs. So what if they don't look like "Old Trafford"? Is that even a prerequisite for holding the WC in Europe? You're a jealous fool.
Jealous of what? Your multi function domes with plastic atmosphere? Have you actually ever been to a real football ground?
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #2211
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Jealous of what? Your multi function domes with plastic atmosphere? Have you actually ever been to a real football ground?
So by your logic, the World Cup should never be held outside of Europe or even England. That will help the sport. And what stadium could be shittier and less "classic" than Maracana? A huge. round, deteriorating concrete nightmare? Seems like the fans there do quite well with soccer.
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #2212
flierfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
I just read an article that it is expected that about 70 million will watch the WC on Univision.. I couldnt find an article in English, but in 2006 more than 50 million watched the WC just on Univision.. And that's a big difference vs ESPN. So if we count those viewers from ABC and ESPN, probably that number is over 100 million this year..

http://www.elnuevoherald.com/2010/06...u-maraton.html
100m worldwide maybe but certainly not in the US. 13m watched England-USA on ABC and 5.4m South Africa-Mexico on Univision. That adds up to an football audience nowhere near 100m.

Source
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #2213
RobH

Likes (Received): 10327

100 million in the US will see some of the world cup. That doesn't mean 100m will be watching at any one time flierfy or that you can take individual games and prove this prediction to be wrong.

Still, 13m for the game vs England does sound low for a country the size of the US. I suppose a lot of people would still have been at work when it was on, but it's obvious the game's popularity is a lot smaller in the US than in many other parts of the world.

flierfy, you'll need to provide statistics for Australia and Qatar if we're to really compare, keep this thread on topic, and not just have a slanging match. Everyone knows the US doesn't have the same love of the game as Europe and South America - that's such an obious fact it doesn't even need pointing out. But it's not competing against either of these continents for 2022.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #2214
Archbishop

Quote:
That's exactly what I mean. The pitch might still be missing 1 or 2 metres in width but you already can't see the corner flag. It simply not design to watch football in there.
Maybe not that stadium, but about every stadium built now is made for soccer! Qwest, Gillette, Cowboys, Lucas Oil, U of Phoenix, all of those are perfect to fit soccer!
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #2215
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbishop View Post
Maybe not that stadium, but about every stadium built now is made for soccer! Qwest, Gillette, Cowboys, Lucas Oil, U of Phoenix, all of those are perfect to fit soccer!
How hard is it to crank up a jackhammer and remove a row or two of seats? If the damn thing is worth hosting, it's worth doing a bit of "creative remodelling".
Old June 19th, 2010, 05:04 PM   #2216
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
How hard is it to crank up a jackhammer and remove a row or two of seats? If the damn thing is worth hosting, it's worth doing a bit of "creative remodelling".
It's not hard, I mean, they laid a grass field in the Silverdome in '94! It was raised on top of a temporary structure. Most of the stadiums will not require any modification, a few will. No biggie.
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #2217
Archbishop

Yeah I doubt they will care if they have to take out 5 rows of Lincoln Financial Field. We all talk about how cool those stadiums in some countries will look if they get built, but we've got those state-of-the-art stadiums right here. Cowboys Stadium, U of Phoenix Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium, Meadowlands Stadium, all are magnificent stadiums. A United States World Cup would be incredible. This time they would use real stadiums, not the crappy ones at 1994 (Stanford Stadium, Citrus Bowl? C'mon now...)
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #2218
HUSKER
NUEVO ESTADO DE LA LAGUNA

Likes (Received): 418

US BID!!!., it's got my vote.- Half of Mexico would go to see the games, and not only Mexico's one's., that happened in 1994.
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:37 PM   #2219
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
It beats the hell out of this crap. Look at all the wasted space.

Quote:
Like Old Trafford?

Or Wembley?
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #2220
just4ivaylo

Likes (Received): 87

Hm..do we have the infrastructure right now for that bid? Inner-city transportation is shit in many metros, including Houston.
just4ivaylo no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
los angeles, united states of america, world cup